What would super have to do to make you hate it intensely

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: What would super have to do to make you hate it intensely

Post by Zephyr » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:37 pm

Intense hatred isn't something that I think a cartoon warrants, no matter what it does.

As for what would make me less inclined to watch it? I'd definitely stop watching if it turned into "The Adventures of Goten and Trunks: Featuring the Pilaf Gang", since moments featuring that group of characters tend to be my least favorite parts of Super; and also, knowing Super, there wouldn't be any character development, so it'd be Goten and Trunks as they are now, rather than watching them grow in any sort of an endearing way.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:04 pm

I hope Toriyama isn't browsing this thread for ideas... :lol:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Kind of off topic, but for the Baseball episode, I might be a bit angry depending on their treatment of Yamcha. Dude needs to catch a break, let him have this moment Toei. LET HIM HAVE SOME GLORY!
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:46 pm

Continuing to resort to God's to handle your problems which has been a trend in Super thus far. It just takes away the suspense altogether.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm

kinisking wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
kinisking wrote:Unless he get some BS power up like Piccolo's absorptions... :P
Or mystic form.
''Just sit on your ass for 24 hours, then you'll be the strongest!"
Yeah that was bull shit too but I just had to tease him :lol:
Have to disagree with you guys, this was probably the hardest powerup trial ever, having to sit and wait when so much was going on, simply unbearable for the character IMO lol

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:57 pm

Zephyr wrote:Intense hatred isn't something that I think a cartoon warrants, no matter what it does.

As for what would make me less inclined to watch it? I'd definitely stop watching if it turned into "The Adventures of Goten and Trunks"
If done right and they developed, this would actually be the best possible scenario for me. Take out Pilaf Gang though

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:59 pm

omaro34 wrote:Continuing to resort to God's to handle your problems which has been a trend in Super thus far. It just takes away the suspense altogether.
I disagree, as the Black Arc proves, resorting to the Gods doesn't really solve the problem; it creates more.

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:02 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Or mystic form.
''Just sit on your ass for 24 hours, then you'll be the strongest!"
Yeah that was bull shit too but I just had to tease him :lol:
Have to disagree with you guys, this was probably the hardest powerup trial ever, having to sit and wait when so much was going on, simply unbearable for the character IMO lol
Out of all the easy powerups, it's the hardest one but that's still not saying much.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:06 pm

Kanassa wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Continuing to resort to God's to handle your problems which has been a trend in Super thus far. It just takes away the suspense altogether.
I disagree, as the Black Arc proves, resorting to the Gods doesn't really solve the problem; it creates more.
That's precisely what I'm saying. This thread is talking about what can Super do to cause you to hate it. I said God's helping out (Whis' time skip, Zeno's destruction), is something I don't like because it takes away the suspense. You said you disagree because resorting to Gods creates more problems? That is a negative, so you dislike it too right? Are you actually agreeing with me then? Please clarify what you're trying to say, help me understand.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:24 pm

What can Super do to make me hate it?

Well, to put it bluntly, if it commits character assassinations on the characters I know and love, and fundamentally distorts what Dragon Ball is, those would be the things that would do that.

As long as the characters continue to feel like themselves, and the story carries the right feel and tone of Dragon Ball, I doubt it would anger me to the level ascribed to in this thread.

Hell, I really don't like GT - and IT doesn't get that much hate from me!
-Laserkid

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:24 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
That's precisely what I'm saying. This thread is talking about what can Super do to cause you to hate it. I said God's helping out (Whis' time skip, Zeno's destruction), is something I don't like because it takes away the suspense. You said you disagree because resorting to Gods creates more problems? That is a negative, so you dislike it too right? Are you actually agreeing with me then? Please clarify what you're trying to say, help me understand.
The Gods involvment brings more problems, Zeno took care of Zamsu, but at the expense of destroying the entire timeline. I don't see how that's agreeing with you. You say it takes away suspense, I'm saying it adds because the Gods aren't an easy fix, they're a very risky and usually reserved as a last resort.

Kanassa wrote:

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:28 pm

Kanassa wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: I disagree, as the Black Arc proves, resorting to the Gods doesn't really solve the problem; it creates more.
The Gods involvment brings more problems, Zeno took care of Zamsu, but at the expense of destroying the entire timeline. I don't see how that's agreeing with you. You say it takes away suspense, I'm saying it adds because the Gods aren't an easy fix, they're a very risky and usually reserved as a last resort.
I see what you mean. We just have different interpretations of what the Gods involvement brings to the table. But is this something you dislike/hate? That's what I'm trying to get at.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:32 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
I see what you mean. We just have different interpretations of what the Gods involvement brings to the table. But is this something you dislike/hate? That's what I'm trying to get at.
I like it for the same reason I liked the concept of the Shadow Dragons, it shows consequence for the characters becoming overly reliant on what is essential their get-out-of-jail-free card. It brings balance to the table.

Kanassa wrote:

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:44 pm

Kanassa wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: The Gods involvment brings more problems, Zeno took care of Zamsu, but at the expense of destroying the entire timeline. I don't see how that's agreeing with you. You say it takes away suspense, I'm saying it adds because the Gods aren't an easy fix, they're a very risky and usually reserved as a last resort.
I like it for the same reason I liked the concept of the Shadow Dragons, it shows consequence for the characters becoming overly reliant on what is essential their get-out-of-jail-free card. It brings balance to the table.
So in the Black Arc, you liked it when Zeno destroyed Zamasu? A scene where many in the community feared would happen since Zeno gave Goku that button. I would rather see Trunks finish Zamasu off, since it's his world being vanquished. Dragonball teaches us the art of determination and to never give in to your adversity. Goku isn't the type to give up. So when I saw our heroes backed into a corner in episode 67, I was excited wondering how they will get out of this insane mess. But no, instead Zeno who I consider a gag character wipes out everything after he is summoned by the same guy in Goku who outside of the fight with Cell never likes to leave a fight unfinished. It just took away the excitement and suspense, and goes against what Goku's principles are in a fight.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:56 pm

omaro34 wrote: So in the Black Arc, you liked it when Zeno destroyed Zamasu?
Yes, it was a great reminder that Zeno is still the same brat that erased a few universes before.
A scene where many in the community feared would happen since Zeno gave Goku that button.
And that should matter me?
Dragonball teaches us the art of determination and to never give in to your adversity. Goku isn't the type to give up. So when I saw our heroes backed into a corner in episode 67, I was excited wondering how they will get out of this insane mess. But no, instead Zeno who I consider a gag character wipes out everything after he is summoned by the same guy in Goku who outside of the fight with Cell never likes to leave a fight unfinished. It just took away the excitement and suspense, and goes against what Goku's principles are in a fight.
I think it's great that the fight forced Goku to go against his principles, even if it'll probably never be explored further. And while Dragonball does have the whole 'Never give up' vibe before hand, I feel that so far Super has been about showing you stand in the face of adversity, and when to realise that you're out of your league. Times where you have to accept defeat, and times where you need to keep going. I find putting a spin on the established message an interesting direction.

Kanassa wrote:

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:35 am

Never going past end of Z, and staying as the Goku and Vegeta show. The episode where Piccolo got fucked over in the tournament arc already almost made me hate Super intensely, and what they've done with Gohan constantly pisses me off. As for EoZ, if they stay before it this WHOLE DAMN SERIES, I'll be pissed as fuck.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:26 am

kinisking wrote: Out of all the easy powerups, it's the hardest one but that's still not saying much.
You don't get me, I said it was harder to attain than any other powerup, but that's my own perception of things lol

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:50 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
kinisking wrote: Out of all the easy powerups, it's the hardest one but that's still not saying much.
You don't get me, I said it was harder to attain than any other powerup, but that's my own perception of things lol
I don't see how sitting on your ass whilst an old Kai dances around you, is hard

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:33 am

Abra kadabra wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
I don't see how sitting on your ass whilst an old Kai dances around you, is hard
Sitting in your ass while shit goes down would be extremely hard for a character like gohan. I mean just look how angry he gets during the ritual. I think that's what PsionicWarrior is trying to say. I still don't agree with him but I see when he's coming from..
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:11 am

kinisking wrote: Sitting in your ass while shit goes down would be extremely hard for a character like gohan. I mean just look how angry he gets during the ritual. I think that's what PsionicWarrior is trying to say. I still don't agree with him but I see when he's coming from..
Exactly, not to mention he had to stay focused for, was it 24h straight? Combine this with his char as you mention makes it IMO a very hard moment,
I am fully aware I am probably the only person in the world seeing it this way though lol