Toonami and Toyline clashing with each other?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Toonami and Toyline clashing with each other?

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:34 am

So, if anyone was keeping track of my previous posts regarding a potential kids channel (many of us had speculated Nickelodeon) - You know that I originally thought a kids channel would be the first place where Super aired FOLLOWED by it airing on Toonami eventually after the Kai (Buu) run had ended. However, things turned out differently (for the best) and now we get both Kai (Buu) and Super on Toonami.

Also, regarding Dragon Ball Super airing initially on Toonami instead of some other channel - I've actually given it some thought and this is even more of a perfect thing than I had originally considered. The older fans who had watched Z back in the 2000s will tune in for new Dragon Ball AND the newer fans who grew up on Kai in the 2010s will tune in for new Dragon Ball along with seeing the continuation of Kai. Also, since the fans who watched Kai at 7-9 years old (on Nicktoons) are now going to be 14-16 - They're definitely old enough and aware to watch uncut Super/Kai on Toonami.

So yeah, Toonami will be drawing in both the OLD and NEW generation of Dragon Ball fans. However, gotta admit - Still shocked Super didn't end up airing on Nickelodeon, especially with the toy deal and the fact that Miraculous (a co-Toei production) aired their and also has a toy deal. Anyone else kind of confused about the toy deal clashing with the "Adult Swim's" Toonami airing? I mean, I do understand adults can still buy toys. But from my understanding, a big reason why Super is kept alive is because of the toys that sell in Japan. I imagine the toys are marketed for kids in Japan so I assumed the same principle would apply for the U.S. So, anyone think it's possible an edited version of Super can end up on Disney XD one day (as Funimation has produced an edited dub for such an occassion AND Pokemon/Beyblade air on Disney XD)?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Toonami and Toyline clashing with each other?

Post by simtek34 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:33 am

mecha3000 wrote: Also, since the fans who watched Kai at 7-9 years old (on Nicktoons and 4KIDS) are now going to be 14-16.

Me!! And when I was 6 or 7, I was always up at 7&8 PM watching TV on weekends!

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:07 pm

simtek34 wrote:
mecha3000 wrote: Also, since the fans who watched Kai at 7-9 years old (on Nicktoons and 4KIDS) are now going to be 14-16.

Me!! And when I was 6 or 7, I was always up at 7&8 PM watching TV on weekends!
Cool! But many younger kids probably don't tune in for the Adult Swim stuff, which is why I'm skeptical that younger kids will tune in for Adult Swim's Toonami. But who knows? Maybe an older sibling or lack of parental supervision will allow younger kids to tune in as they please. In this day and age, I get the impression that kids are allowed to watch whatever they can find or have access to - which is a far cry from how the 2000s were.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:54 pm

mecha3000 wrote: Anyone else kind of confused about the toy deal clashing with the "Adult Swim's" Toonami airing? I mean, I do understand adults can still buy toys. But from my understanding, a big reason why Super is kept alive is because of the toys that sell in Japan. I imagine the toys are marketed for kids in Japan so I assumed the same principle would apply for the U.S. So, anyone think it's possible an edited version of Super can end up on Disney XD one day (as Funimation has produced an edited dub for such an occassion AND Pokemon/Beyblade air on Disney XD)?
And there's your answer. Since there's an adult toy collector market, the toyline won't clash with it airing on Toonami on [adult swim].
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:56 pm

Dragon Ball Super will be airing at 8:30 Eastern, won't it? Not all kids will be able to tune in, but plenty will.
Retired.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:07 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Dragon Ball Super will be airing at 8:30 Eastern, won't it? Not all kids will be able to tune in, but plenty will.
Yeah, Saturday at 8:30 isn't a bad time, but it's the fact that the dub is uncut that makes me worry about how well the (size-wise) smaller toyline will sell. I'm sure those lovely mini-Figuarts will go to the older fans, though.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:11 am

Anime Kitten wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Dragon Ball Super will be airing at 8:30 Eastern, won't it? Not all kids will be able to tune in, but plenty will.
Yeah, Saturday at 8:30 isn't a bad time, but it's the fact that the dub is uncut that makes me worry about how well the (size-wise) smaller toyline will sell. I'm sure those lovely mini-Figuarts will go to the older fans, though.
But DBS is super (hah!) milk-toast to begin with. Anyone who gets offended by something as bland Dragon Ball Super needs to be purged from humanity, send them to the moon or something. Given that most children aren't absurdly over-protected, I think toys will sell just fine.
Retired.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:16 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:But DBS is super (hah!) milk-toast to begin with. Anyone who gets offended by something as bland Dragon Ball Super needs to be purged from humanity, send them to the moon or something. Given that most children aren't absurdly over-protected, I think toys will sell just fine.
You're right; it's certainly been pre-censored.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I suppose we'll find out soon enough. The blood that is implemented is extremely minor, so that shouldn't be an issue.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:37 am

Yeah either Japanese parents have become as stingy about violence as the rest of the world or Super was made with an international audience in mind.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:42 am

Muffin Man wrote:Yeah either Japanese parents have become as stingy about violence as the rest of the world or Super was made with an international audience in mind.
A couple things like this. TV broadcasting standards are more strict, it airs as a Saturday morning slot, a more child-friendly time. International audiences probably has something to do with it, too.
Retired.

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:30 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:Yeah either Japanese parents have become as stingy about violence as the rest of the world or Super was made with an international audience in mind.
A couple things like this. TV broadcasting standards are more strict, it airs as a Saturday morning slot, a more child-friendly time. International audiences probably has something to do with it, too.
Yeah I kinda get the feeling with Super, they had the success of previous properties in international markets in mind during the creation process, resulting in the toning down of things that were perfectly fine and abundant in the days of DB, Z, and GT for the sake of international distribution
Not unlike how the amount of Censorship required in EBB's localization process had Nintendo of Japan rethinking how they made their games altogether