Does anyone else think Super is awful?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Avok
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Does anyone else think Super is awful?

Post by Avok » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:39 pm

Bullza wrote:Kinda killed your own argument when you mentioned that generic trash Magi. God lord that was dreadful.
In what regard?
Magi is a pretty solid and well balanced series, with great characters and nice developments, as far as the manga goes. Heard the anime wasn't the best thing ever, but still.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Bullza wrote:Kinda killed your own argument when you mentioned that generic trash Magi. God lord that was dreadful.
Did you watch season 2 of Magi? It has more plot depth, world building and character development than 500 episodes of Dragon Ball
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:06 pm

Never read the manga but watched the anime and it could not be more generic if it tried.

Magi in a nutshell = "This type of Shonen title has proven to be successful so I will do pretty much the exact same thing again but so it doesn't like a ripoff I'll give it a different motif....hmmm we've had Pirates...Ninjas....Wizards.... Soul Reapers...Oh! Knights! Oh wait no The Seven Deadly Sins did that already....Ermmmm got it! Arabian Nights! That hasn't been done yet."

And that's Magi. The exact same kind of Shonen yet again except this time around it has an Arabian Nights motif what with Aladdin, Sinbad, Genies etc.

It's not like it's the only copycat but they usually still having things going for them. Magi has forgettable characters, Aladdin surely the worst protagonist ever for this kind of series, generic character designs and villains and comedy and powers and fights and storylines and events.

Feel free to not like Dragon Ball Super but when you use something like Magic to belittle it then that doesn't work.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:It's Dragon Ball. It's Shonen. What are we comparing it to in order to say it's awful?
Hunter x Hunter

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Code Geass

Magi

Steins Gate

If you have watched any of the shows above, please tell how Super holds a candle to these shows. It's generic trash
Expect for HxH and maybe Magi (From what I've seen of it), most of those shows are very different from Dragon Ball. Would it be fair to compare Dragon Ball to them if they are different shows with a different style.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 pm

No, I think its a worthy sequal to dragon ball z.

Wished that it didn't have such a rushed production though... :(

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Had Super started in January, the show's rep would be much better. It's rep has gotten better, but the stigma from Episode 5 from a year and half ago is still there.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:11 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Miracles wrote: Besides Case Closed being entertainment, what else is better than Super? One Piece is bad, It's story is full of badly written fights, unnecessary characters, and running around, with overly forced emotion due to the faces and emphasis on moans and groans. A good writer doesn't need to force it, it will just happen. Naruto part two was bad as a whole, besides some parts; Pain arc [easily Kishi's best in p2], Sasuke vs Raikage, Obito vs Kakashi fight, Madara vs Allaince was good. But the rest was bad. Mob Psycho, my sister watches it, A kid who reaches number 100 on his pissed off meter, corny and she showed me some fight scenes, didn't like it, fooly cooly like and the main caster reminds me of saitama from one punch man. I didn't really care for one punch man either, a comedic show with lack of passion. Good animation though, The last episode; season finale, against Boros was OK but even that fight doesn't out due some of Super's fights. If you got some other shows I should see please enlighten me but I pretty much seen all the golden age stuff.
Naruto was already over before Super even started. As for the anime, I always spoke in terms of which is the better made show and Naruto Shippuuden is far better than Super in that regard. I don't know much about One Piece cause I'm still 700+ chapters behind, but from what I've read it is good and the anime is once again a much better product than Super. An anime is not only about writing. The entire product matters and Super lacks everything that a good and well-produced anime has.

I'm not going to talk about One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 cause you are relying on other's opinions and not your own and please none of Super's fights hold a candle to them. Visual storytelling is both of the aforementioned shows strengths and they excel at it. So, saying that it has good animation, but it is a bad story is not understanding what the show is trying to do.

Battle shounen is not the only type of manga/anime y'know. There's seinen and shoujo and lots of great stuff out there. This season Hibike! Euphonium 2, for example is a great anime. It is a SoL, musical series which once again gives major emphasis to visual storytelling. It is a light novel adaptation.

There's Boku no Hero Academia which is going pretty strong in the content department, if you are following the manga. The anime which aired in 2015 was also good for the most part. Re:Zero is another fantastic anime this year. I would also recommend Kiznaiver which I am following currently. It has been mind-blowing in the directorial department so far. There's a lot more I'm forgetting, but this should be enough for now.

EDIT: Never mind. You are not much into anime so you are not going to like anything I recommended.
I watched the entirety of Season one Boku no Hero, It has a lot of character interaction which was pretty dull and the action was slow paced [except for might vs that crow guy]. I still thought it was OK, It gave me a Naruto part one vibe. I watched the entirety of One Punch Man's season one. So I am not parroting anything about it. It was a good visual with a comedic story. I understand about Seinen, I love Ghost in the shell series, Joj Jo Bizarre is amusing sometimes, But never did like much of anything else from that genre.

Talking about "better made shows..." Yes, Super is overall a mediocre product. However that is only due to inconsistency. With the animation being bad, and fight scenes underwhelming and music not setting the tone. However when TOEI is on it's game, Super is at the top. That short Vegetto vs Zamasu fight alone was glitter. Beerus wasting Zamasu was an awesome scene and had godlike music and feeling for the audience. Goku vs Hit scenes; when well done, were top class. Even Beerus vs Goku had quality scenes that smacked many of the so called "better made products" out of the water. So in a sense you are right, the overall passion, quality of some anime, as a whole, is better than Super's. When Super has vigor behind it, it's hard to beat.
Last edited by Miracles on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:14 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: I can see why many people feel like the anime industry was better in the past compare to now. It seems like anime industry likes to focuses a lot on fan service ecchi anime, moe and typical middle school Shonen action anime. Sure we still have great anime now, but it seem like people feel like the 80's and 90's put out better titles without trying to add boobs and cute looking girls to sell stuff. Hideaki Anno and Mayao Miyzaki seem to dislike the current anime industry and where it is going. Even classic directors like Mamoru Oshii, Yoshiaki Kawajiri and Katsuhiro Otomo don't seem to be that interest in the current anime industry neither.

It seems like we are probably never going to get any new titles on the same level as other great classics like Devilman, Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, The Wings of Honneamise, Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival and many others.
That's your Western fan complaints. That "moe" thing that pisses off most of them has given the people who care about the entire product some good shows. Dismissing all anime cause it's moe even when that's not the case is first of all ridiculous and secondly the same as dismissing all action anime cause it's mostly action. Like I said before, it all depends on the execution.

Yeah, sure there are people who don't like where the industry is going like you mentioned Miyazaki. So, why doesn't he comes back from retirement AGAINNNN and save the industry. Well, he can't even do that cause his precious Ghibli crashed.

Cowboy Bebop creator Watanabe Shin'ichirou gave us Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy which are great. The latter even had new talent shine and showed what they are capable of. Funny, you mentioned Kawajiri cause he has worked for One Punch Man and Redline, so he sure is interested if you ask me. Redline, a groundbreaking film which took 7 years in the making with every talented people in the industry and was Koike Takeshi's masterpiece. Something like that was not possible in the 90s. It has already achieved legendary status.

If guys like Oshii Mamoru have moved on to live-action and don't make anime more we got guys like Hosoda Mamoru who were making good anime films in early 2000s and are still making good films like Summer Wars, Wolf Children and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Shinkai Makoto whose latest Your Name is already breaking records. I can see these films being fondly remembered 10-15 years later just like the ones you mentioned.

The people involved in the films you mentioned and are responsible for making those films great are still alive and kicking-ass. Most of them at least. Some of them have made their creative voice so strong that it is impossible to let them go unheard. Nakamura Yutaka(animator), for example who did a lot of awesome scenes for Cowboy Bebop is better than ever. He has continued to evolve as an animator and is now in the top ranks.

My stance is clear. 80s-90s had a lot of good things, but also a lot of bad things. The industry now is no different. It has bad things and good things. If there's one thing that I would say is different and that's for the better is the individual recognition Japanese cartoons are so proud of is stronger now than it was before.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:25 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:It's Dragon Ball. It's Shonen. What are we comparing it to in order to say it's awful?
Hunter x Hunter

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Code Geass

Magi

Steins Gate

If you have watched any of the shows above, please tell how Super holds a candle to these shows. It's generic trash
As someone who has seen and rates 4/5 of these in my Top 4 anime, this is a bullshit comparison. All of these shows have a vastly superior budget and production values then Super. Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood are the best work their respective studios have produced. Code Geass had a budget of godly proportions thanks to Sunrises Gundam profits (And we can thank Love Live profits for Season 3) and can nowhere be called Shonen. Steins;Gate is based of a visual novel and is an entirely different show then anything Dragon Ball, it's a god damn emotional drama. At least the other 3 shows ARE shonen, albeit 2 of them the top of their class. Not to mention when Hunter X Hunter and Brotherhood were made they had a rough end in sight. Super has no end in sight. It's a frankly stupid comparison to compare those 5 shows to Super. Compare Super to One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and it's then a fair comparison, all these shows for the most part run/ran weekly with no end in sight. All of them have good and bad parts, shitty animation episodes, bullshit power ups and forgotten characters.

You're comparing and I have a feeling most people are comparing oranges to apples. What are we expecting here from a weekly syndicated Saturday morning cartoon?! Storytelling to the levels of Code Geass? Characters as emotional as Steins;Gate? Story telling as high quality as Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist? It's DRAGON BALL! It IS generic trash to much of the anime community. It's never been to any of those levels and expecting it to is setting yourself up for disappointment.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: My stance is clear. 80s-90s had a lot of good things, but also a lot of bad things. The industry now is no different. It has bad things and good things. If there's one thing that I would say is different and that's for the better is the individual recognition Japanese cartoons are so proud of is stronger now than it was before.
Agreed. Western's don't know the bad things from that era of anime cause we never saw it. With the digital age and Crunchyroll we see EVERYTHING that airs every season. Back then we only saw what was localized, of which were the stuff that appealed to the Western market. I.E. Shonen, action, cyberpunk, western.

(Also Your Name is absolutely amazing and as someone who saw it in cinema I hope it's remembered as fondly as most of Miyazaki's work. Cause without starting a flame war I consider it better.)
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:08 am

Miracles wrote: Talking about "better made shows" Yes, Super is overall a mediocre product but that is only due to inconsistency. With the animation being bad, and fight scenes underwhelming and music not setting the tone. However when TOEI is on it's game, Super is at the top. That short Vegetto vs Zamasu fight alone was glitter. Beerus wasting Zamasu was an awesome scene and had godlike music and feeling for the audience. Goku vs Hit scenes; when well done, were top class. Even Beerus vs Goku had quality scenes that smacked many of the so called "better made products" out of the water. So in a sense you are right, the overall passion, quality of some anime, as a whole, is better than Super's. When Super has vigor behind it, it's hard to beat.
Super, at its top can be compared to its predecessors, but it doesn't hold a candle to other products I mentioned. Anyone who has seen enough cartoons and is actually aware of the talent and animation and direction process can clearly see that. I will avoid One Punch Man cause it's a short cartoon and mostly one or two cour series have better production which results in better quality. So, there goes your argument about Super smacking those better products out of the window. As the poster above me said, let's not compare shorter cartoons to longer cartoons cause they have different production cycles.

Inconsistency isn't even the problem. The schedule and lack of staff is. Because of the schedule, the scenes while good not going to deny it for Super's low standards, still doesn't bring the best out of the people who have done far far better work on other shows. That's the problem. I love Tate. He has been basically saving Super's ass, but his good work when compared to his One Piece work is nothing. Same thing with Shida and Ootsuka. It's not their fault, but it's Super being a rushed piece of crap. That's the major issue and why it is such a low quality product.

I'm watching Saint Seiya Omega currently and Hatano Morio did some wonderful direction there. The direction of his episodes are amazing and his presence is strong. I can't say the same thing about his work in Super. By far, his work in it is the best we've got in terms of direction, but it's not even remotely comparable to his other works. It's not even up to the standard Hatano's work is. Kaizawa Yukio, one of the best Toei directors didn't even direct an episode and has already left for the newPreCure series. He did some storyboards which were wasted cause it wasn't translated well enough by the animators.

Once again, it's the schedule and lack of time. When the good staff can't even produce the quality they are known for, that's very disappointing. The overall product matters to me most and Super is just bad.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:29 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Miracles wrote: Talking about "better made shows" Yes, Super is overall a mediocre product but that is only due to inconsistency. With the animation being bad, and fight scenes underwhelming and music not setting the tone. However when TOEI is on it's game, Super is at the top. That short Vegetto vs Zamasu fight alone was glitter. Beerus wasting Zamasu was an awesome scene and had godlike music and feeling for the audience. Goku vs Hit scenes; when well done, were top class. Even Beerus vs Goku had quality scenes that smacked many of the so called "better made products" out of the water. So in a sense you are right, the overall passion, quality of some anime, as a whole, is better than Super's. When Super has vigor behind it, it's hard to beat.
Super, at its top can be compared to its predecessors, but it doesn't hold a candle to other products I mentioned. Anyone who has seen enough cartoons and is actually aware of the talent and animation and direction process can clearly see that. I will avoid One Punch Man cause it's a short cartoon and mostly one or two cour series have better production which results in better quality. So, there goes your argument about Super smacking those better products out of the window.

Inconsistency isn't even the problem. The schedule and lack of staff is. Because of the schedule, the scenes while good not going to deny it for Super's low standards, still doesn't bring the best out of the people who have done far far better work on other shows. That's the problem. I love Tate. He has been basically saving Super's ass, but his good work when compared to his One Piece work is nothing. Same thing with Shida and Ootsuka. It's not their fault, but it's Super being a rushed piece of crap. That's the major issue and why it is such a low quality product.

I'm watching Saint Seiya Omega currently and Hatano Morio did some wonderful direction there. The direction of his episodes are amazing and his presence is strong. I can't say the same thing about his work in Super. By far, his work in it is the best we've got in terms of direction, but it's not even remotely comparable to his other works. It's not even up to the standard Hatano's work is. Kaizawa Yukio, one of the best Toei directors didn't even direct an episode and has already left for the newPreCure series. He did some storyboards which were wasted cause it wasn't translated well enough by the animators.

Once again, it's the schedule and lack of time. When the good staff can't even produce the quality they are known for, that's very disappointing. The overall product matters to me most and Super is just bad.
You're telling the truth it ain't opinion. The TOEI producers said the same thing as to why Super wasn't quality [IRC]. Their production time was limited and they had rookies doing the scenes, developing them. So you speak truth when saying such, and I can't argue with that. But I did agree with this sentiment as well with my statements concerning the lack of "passion" of the show and that comes from behind the scenes, the people in charge. However Super's writing is what is saving it, this is why I still say it is better and more entertaining than most even though the overall product is lazy.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:45 am

Miracles wrote: You're telling the truth it ain't opinion. The TOEI producers said the same thing as to why Super wasn't quality [IRC]. Their production time was limited and they had rookies doing the scenes, developing them. So you speak truth when saying such, and I can't argue with that. But I did agree with this sentiment as well with my statements concerning the lack of "passion" of the show and that comes from behind the scenes, the people in charge. However Super's writing is what is saving it, this is why I still say it is better and more entertaining than most even though the overall product is lazy.
Not lazy, rushed. The staff is working hard but time is against them and they cannot win. I do agree that the script is the only consistent thing about the show. But, writing is not the only thing that matters. Anime is a visual medium and Super is getting no visual support.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:46 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Miracles wrote: You're telling the truth it ain't opinion. The TOEI producers said the same thing as to why Super wasn't quality [IRC]. Their production time was limited and they had rookies doing the scenes, developing them. So you speak truth when saying such, and I can't argue with that. But I did agree with this sentiment as well with my statements concerning the lack of "passion" of the show and that comes from behind the scenes, the people in charge. However Super's writing is what is saving it, this is why I still say it is better and more entertaining than most even though the overall product is lazy.
Not lazy, rushed. The staff is working hard but time is against them and they cannot win. I do agree that the script is the only consistent thing about the show. But, writing is not the only thing that matters. Anime is a visual medium and Super is getting no visual support.
Amen.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:19 am

For 12 year olds, George Bush, and anime fans, there is no such thing as nuance. Everything is either amazing or awful. Even if you dislike certain things about the series, denying the awesomeness of a villain like Black, some of the great fighting choreography we've gotten, slice of life episodes, etc... is nonsense.

I usually just ignore the "it's complete shit" or "it's completely amazing" people. They're just emotional children and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:22 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:Code Geass
Seriously? Code Geass is a complete and utter trainwreck. So is Steins;Gate but I didn't mention that one because as a whole it still manages to be better than Super, Code Geass doesn't, however.
Last edited by Doctor. on Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:24 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote: Story telling as high quality as Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist?
FMA has got to be the most overrated anime ever. And it's in my top 5-6 so I'm not biased against it or anything. People think any show that takes itself seriously, is somehow deeply complex. FMA is no more complex than any other shonen. Elrich brothers try to find a philosopher's stone. It's just like any another shonen. MCs have a goal in mind, but the show is about the journey not the goal itself.

Einstein was a complete goofball (and I'm not comparing DB to Einstein), but he was much more complex as a person than some 17 year old emo kid who thinks the world hates him. Taking yourself seriously does not make you complex.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:47 am

DragonHermit wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote: Story telling as high quality as Hunter X Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist?
FMA has got to be the most overrated anime ever. And it's in my top 5-6 so I'm not biased against it or anything. People think any show that takes itself seriously, is somehow deeply complex. FMA is no more complex than any other shonen. Elrich brothers try to find a philosopher's stone. It's just like any another shonen. MCs have a goal in mind, but the show is about the journey not the goal itself.

Einstein was a complete goofball (and I'm not comparing DB to Einstein), but he was much more complex as a person than some 17 year old emo kid who thinks the world hates him. Taking yourself seriously does not make you complex.
That title belongs to Sword Art Online (And much of the rest of the Fantasy World genre) and I doubt I'll ever be convinced otherwise. If my avatar didn't show a little but of bias then I don't know what will. I think why FMA is so well regarded is it's characters (Among soundtrack and animation), it's one of the few shonen that makes every character count and never forgets about them. It's also aside from Alchemy, quite a realistic anime with it's depictions of war and racism. If FMA was just about the Elric's, it would be a lot more boring (Hence FMA 2003).

And isn't every TV show about the journey more then the ending? And I think FMA does it's ending quite well, much better then other Bones shows. Plus at least it was a Shonen that had a satisfying complete conclusion. Not cancelled, infinite hiatuses or milked to infinity.
Doctor. wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:Code Geass
Seriously? Code Geass is a complete and utter trainwreck. So is Steins;Gate but I didn't mention that one because as a whole it still manages to be better than Super, Code Geass doesn't, however.
This sounds interesting. Mind to explain more? Cause while I consider Code Geass a guilty pleasure of a magnificent train wreck come R2, I think Steins;Gate is quite well done for a Visual Novel adaption (Though it takes WAY too long to get to time travel, but it's understandable since they wanna make the audience have a connection with the characters.)

Oh and for clarification my Top 5 anime in order are FMA:Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter, Steins;Gate, then either Code Geass, JoJo and Cowboy Bebop in a constantly switching order.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:26 am

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:This sounds interesting. Mind to explain more? Cause while I consider Code Geass a guilty pleasure of a magnificent train wreck come R2, I think Steins;Gate is quite well done for a Visual Novel adaption (Though it takes WAY too long to get to time travel, but it's understandable since they wanna make the audience have a connection with the characters.)

Oh and for clarification my Top 5 anime in order are FMA:Brotherhood, Hunter X Hunter, Steins;Gate, then either Code Geass, JoJo and Cowboy Bebop in a constantly switching order.
Now I watched Steins;Gate back in 2012 or 2013, so my memory on it is incredibly hazy, but I remember having a few problems with the show, such as the pacing, with half of the show feeling like its stalling for time just to fill that 24-episode requirement of a seasonal anime, it takes for the show to reach episode 12 (?) with the big plot-twist to realize there is an actual conflict going on. Up to then it is mostly otaku comedy (I'm aware it's meant to be building up to the darker elements later, but I still felt like most of the time spent with it was unnecessary). And the characters, barring Okabe, felt shallow and generic.

The main problem comes with the time travel, as with any story that involes time travel, because no story ever manages to implement it in a good way (well, besides Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 I guess, but that wasn't really time travel). Entire episodes are spent on changing the past irresponsibly for seemingly no good reason. You could argue it's important to the plot, as experimenting with the time travel could help in the future, but that's a problem when later on they literally undo what was already established with a few episodes; some of these changes aren't meant to help the world at large (like at the end), some of these changes in time are just made irresponsibly and the show brings no attention to the fact that he's being irresponsible. It ends with the time travel being a way that simply invalidates the need for Okabe to take responsability for his actions. It makes the entire show feel pointless due to the fact that everything could be undone so easily (in fact, it makes you feel dumb for buying in to the fact that there's tension when there's actually none when you take a step back in retrospect). Also, this is more specific, so I don't remember it well, but I recall that it seemed like all progress regarding the explanation of time travel and his romantic involvement with Kurisu goes back in time along with him, when, if he's travelling back in time, he should be undoing all of that progress in the mind of his friends (when it's established that Okabe is the only one who remembers information from the future).

I definitely consider it an enjoyable trainwreck, as it's fun if you turn your brain off but you get an aneurysm if you try to think too much about it. And I'm considering going back and rewatching it, since I don't remember much about it and I could change my mind on it. Something like Code Geass, however, pretends to be smart whilst being completely retarded, and that just makes me not enjoy the show.

I haven't read the Visual Novel, so I don't know if it fixes any of these issues, but after reading Fate/Stay Night, I'm not stepping anywhere close to a VN again.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:50 am

Doctor. wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:This sounds interesting. Mind to explain more? Cause while I consider Code Geass a guilty pleasure of a magnificent train wreck come R2, I think Steins;Gate is quite well done for a Visual Novel adaption (Though it takes WAY too long to get to time travel, but it's understandable since they wanna make the audience have a connection with the characters.)

Now I watched Steins;Gate back in 2012 or 2013, so my memory on it is incredibly hazy, but I remember having a few problems with the show, such as the pacing, with half of the show feeling like its stalling for time just to fill that 24-episode requirement of a seasonal anime, it takes for the show to reach episode 12 (?) with the big plot-twist to realize there is an actual conflict going on. Up to then it is mostly otaku comedy (I'm aware it's meant to be building up to the darker elements later, but I still felt like most of the time spent with it was unnecessary). And the characters, barring Okabe, felt shallow and generic.

The main problem comes with the time travel, as with any story that involes time travel, because no story ever manages to implement it in a good way (well, besides Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 I guess, but that wasn't really time travel). Entire episodes are spent on changing the past irresponsibly for seemingly no good reason. You could argue it's important to the plot, as experimenting with the time travel could help in the future, but that's a problem when later on they literally undo what was already established with a few episodes; some of these changes aren't meant to help the world at large (like at the end), some of these changes in time are just made irresponsibly and the show brings no attention to the fact that he's being irresponsible. It ends with the time travel being a way that simply invalidates the need for Okabe to take responsability for his actions. It makes the entire show feel pointless due to the fact that everything could be undone so easily (in fact, it makes you feel dumb for buying in to the fact that there's tension when there's actually none when you take a step back in retrospect). Also, this is more specific, so I don't remember it well, but I recall that it seemed like all progress regarding the explanation of time travel and his romantic involvement with Kurisu goes back in time along with him, when, if he's travelling back in time, he should be undoing all of that progress in the mind of his friends (when it's established that Okabe is the only one who remembers information from the future).

I definitely consider it an enjoyable trainwreck, as it's fun if you turn your brain off but you get an aneurysm if you try to think too much about it. And I'm considering going back and rewatching it, since I don't remember much about it and I could change my mind on it. Something like Code Geass, however, pretends to be smart whilst being completely retarded, and that just makes me not enjoy the show.

I haven't read the Visual Novel, so I don't know if it fixes any of these issues, but after reading Fate/Stay Night, I'm not stepping anywhere close to a VN again.
....... Yep. You're pretty much right. XD. The pacing is bad, a by product of being a visual novel. Okabe is the main driving force of the show. The VN is quite great, the time travel is greatly explained more, including a 1 hour chapter where Kurisu explains multiple real world time travel theories. Okabe screws with time mainly cause he can, he dosen't care, his character shows little compasion until the big episode 12. I felt Okabe having to take responsability is the mental torture he endures seeing BLANK die again and again. In one of the games alternative bad endings he actually goes insane from it. The anime really took out the emotional torture Okabe faces, which during that time Kurisu is his only solace, it helps make their relationship more beliveable. Okabe's time travel memory AKA Reading Steiner, isn't actually just his own. In the OVA, movie and sequel Steins;Gate 0, Kurisu and Mayushii show traits of remembering the other timelines too. The show could have been so much better if they kept the comedy to a down-low and focused on the emotional characters in the 2nd half. Faris having to let her father die to change the timeline back and Rukako having to go back to being a boy are both big events in the game that help learn about their character more, both have to sacrifice the lives they want to save BLANK. Kurisu has to literally give her life to save BLANK. All this was really skipped over in the anime to focus on comedy. Thinking back maybe I'm just a fan of the game and the anime is kinda bad XD.

I find Code Geass gets better on re-watches. My first time I thought it was just okay and needed less cliffhangers and bullshit plot points. But after my 3rd rewatch I found myself really enjoying the show! Lelouch will never not be a joy to watch and is easily my favourite part of the whole show (DON'T FUCK IT UP SEASON 3!)