Dragon Ball Super ep 1 english dub error?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Dragon Ball Super ep 1 english dub error?

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:06 pm

The narrator said "last time on Dragon Ball Z" when showing Goku fighting kid Buu. Do you think they meant to say Dragon Ball Z Kai or they said Dragon Ball Z intentionally.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super ep 1 english dub error?

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Does it really matter? Super can be seen as a sequel to either Z or Kai, so I assume they just played the nostalgia card.
Who voiced the narrator? If it was Kyle Hebert, then there's no doubt.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Lance99

Post by Lance99 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Well, Super itself is technically a continuation of Dragon Ball Z, so as attached to Kai as Doc Morgan is, it's more accurate to say "Dragon Ball Z."
Last edited by Lance99 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 pm

This is really something to complain about?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:12 pm

precita wrote:This is really something to complain about?
I'm not complaining I'm just curious if it was an error or not.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:49 am

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Who voiced the narrator? If it was Kyle Hebert, then there's no doubt.
The narrator is Doc Morgan, same as Kai.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

AzuraRacon
Beyond Newbie

Post by AzuraRacon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:22 am

This definitely isn't worth calling out as an Error I don't think

Personally, I loved getting to hear him say that

for a lot of people (Especially those who grew up on Z) it was probably awesome hearing him say that, even if that particular narrator didn't do Z himself

Also just considering the status of the dubs (The Final Chapters hadn't even started at the time of the premier) having him say Z was definitely more accurate

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:23 am

Super references Z only filler so it's definitely accurate to call it a sequel to thant.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:44 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Super references Z only filler so it's definitely accurate to call it a sequel to thant.
Where?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm

DHM211 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Super references Z only filler so it's definitely accurate to call it a sequel to thant.
Where?
They reference Yamcha's baseball team which isn't in Kai, other filler that's reference from both Z and Kai is the Ginyu/Bulma Frog stuff and Base Vegetto vs Super Boo.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:06 pm

Kai hadn't aired it would be odd to say DBZ Kai instead of Z for that reason alone.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:07 pm

DHM211 wrote:The narrator said "last time on Dragon Ball Z" when showing Goku fighting kid Buu. Do you think they meant to say Dragon Ball Z Kai or they said Dragon Ball Z intentionally.
Dragon Ball Z is the most iconic, and it's totally irrelevant either way. No matter what, it isn't an error.
Retired.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:14 pm

Funi knows its audience. The people who grew up on the dub grew up on Z, not Kai. Why do you think BOG went out of its way to get the original voices back. They even used pre-recordings of Kid Gohan's old voice actress instead of Colleen.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:26 pm

HeroR wrote:Funi knows its audience. The people who grew up on the dub grew up on Z, not Kai. Why do you think BOG went out of its way to get the original voices back. They even used pre-recordings of Kid Gohan's old voice actress instead of Colleen.
That's because they already had the audio for Z around since they were remastering them for the BDs, they also had Young as Freeza but when DBZRF swung around Ayres came back. Also Herbet was narrator because he was already dubbing Gohan and there was no reason to bring Doc in just for a few lines hence why Doc is back for DBS. Also the other Z actors who did return like McCoy was because they were free unlike when Kai 1.0 was going on they apparently busy which makes sense given they're in DBS too.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
HeroR wrote:Funi knows its audience. The people who grew up on the dub grew up on Z, not Kai. Why do you think BOG went out of its way to get the original voices back. They even used pre-recordings of Kid Gohan's old voice actress instead of Colleen.
That's because they already had the audio for Z around since they were remastering them for the BDs, they also had Young as Freeza but when DBZRF swung around Ayres came back. Also Herbet was narrator because he was already dubbing Gohan and there was no reason to bring Doc in just for a few lines hence why Doc is back for DBS. Also the other Z actors who did return like McCoy was because they were free unlike when Kai 1.0 was going on they apparently busy which makes sense given they're in DBS too.

Sure that was Young? Couldn't tell to be honest. Even so, Young can't voice Freeza anymore so they couldn't get her anyway for Reserrection 'F'.

BOG was an obvious push towards people who grew up on Z than Kai. Sabat even said that they always try to get the original voices back if possible.

I also noticed that the script is more colorful, for the lack of better words, in Buu Kai, the movies, and Super. The English script of the Android/Cell Saga was must drier, like they're trying to put the 'character' that original dub had while remaining true to the original work. Something like Yu Yu Hakusho and the One Piece dub.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:06 pm

They said Several Months Later when I remember when they said 6 months after Buu they used the Dragon Balls to make everyone forget about Majin Buu and then some time passed.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:59 pm

It's not an error. It's a callback. Some people watching Super probably don't even know Kai is a thing.

Also, Kai hasn't even ended in the US. The Buu saga just started!
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:59 pm

DHM211 wrote:The narrator said "last time on Dragon Ball Z" when showing Goku fighting kid Buu. Do you think they meant to say Dragon Ball Z Kai or they said Dragon Ball Z intentionally.
I think it was an homage to the "last time blah blah blah" from the original dub. The episode had tons of them. Like instead of saying "we spend all of Ox king's money", they said "most of them burned in the fire". Great db reference

Also it's not Z Kai.
It should be "last time in dragonball z kai Final chapters!!!!"

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:18 pm

The events the narrator is describing did happen previously on Dragon Ball Z. I'm not seeing how this is an error.