Vegeta in DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Vegeta in DBS

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Hey folks, I don't know what you think, but personally I feel like Vegeta is a bit misunderstood in Super, while I certainly appreciate his character development as a father and how he learned to tolerate appreciate humans, it freaking annoys me when he just turns into Beerus's submissive dog or that he skips some training by baiting Whis with food. IMO Super gave this character many embarrassing moments that I don't feel the need to illustrate but if you don't see what I'm talking about I'll certainly do the effort lol

Please discuss.

dblack
Beyond Newbie

Re: Vegeta in DBS

Post by dblack » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:30 pm

I agree, but it could be worth it if they use all these moments in a later story to motivate him.
Everyone even Bulma saying Goku will save us.
Black/Zamasu's multiple insults towards him.
Hit one shotting him.
Beerus being the one who ordered his planet destroyed.

Tons of possible foreshadowing to Vegeta having a cool storyline. If they continue to throw him under the bus and he never does anything about it I think there's definitely a legit complaint. I'm holding out hope that his story isn't finished though.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 pm

if vegeta doesn't do what beerus saus he will destroy Earth, it's pretty smart.

vegeta only did that once.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:41 am

Totamo wrote:if vegeta doesn't do what beerus saus he will destroy Earth, it's pretty smart.

Is this supposed to be "sama" or "says" ?
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:58 am

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Totamo wrote:if vegeta doesn't do what beerus saus he will destroy Earth, it's pretty smart.

Is this supposed to be "sama" or "says" ?
says

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:59 am

I just want Vegeta to finally become stronger than Beerus and kick his ass.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 am

I'm not sharing the impression about Vegeta acting like a "submissive dog" with Beerus. Is it simply because he bows? That's a sign of respect. Before Beerus disrespected his wife, his attitude towards Beerus was subservient, yes. After that, he never heeded to his word on the pretense of "submission", if you want to call it that.

I think you misinterpreted Vegeta's moment with Whis. Whis acted as if he gave Goku special training. Vegeta naturally wanted to undergo the same training & complete it better than Kakarotto would. Whis continuously denied those requests in favor of making him train through their normal routine. When you see Vegeta lying about the counts he did & the special sauce, he's doing so to receive better training posthaste. It's only later when he finds out "Goku's special training" consisted of placing a Hit on himself.

Personally, I think allegations of Vegeta being disrespected, in general, are overblown.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:35 am

All the "character development" he received had made him into a good family man, it's so nice! We get to know vegeta loves his wife! Yaaay?
But really, Who gives a shit? Vegeta has tuned into a giant bore character, Hell, does he even have a great line which was awesome to hear?
Vegeta had much more in just a fight between him and kid buu than in entirety of super..

The Last hope is they change his lines in dub
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 am

I'd argue he simply cares about his companions through the same frequency Goku does. I don't think he's anymore a "family man" than he wasn't before. The reason I find that repeated term odd is because Vegeta still exhibits no problems being absent from his home life. Don't misunderstand, I'm not going to treat that as if makes him a terrible person or something. I'm simply expressing that he remains heavily rooted in the martial arts lifestyle. Becoming less of a monster doesn't make him the spokesperson for ZTV now. I think that aspect of Vegeta's character is exaggerated, too. He's not cooking BBQ with a smile on his face, he's making takoyaki for training favors.

Rather, now he's not an accessory to the antagonists anymore. He trains & fights for his personal betterment & has no qualms protecting others unlike in the early portions of the Artificial Humans arc. With that in mind, it's completely unnecessary to change his dialogue for international adaptions. The character isn't suffering because his role changed. Consider that he's not placed in positions that allow for his "one-liners" to thrive. (which haven't been absent from Dragon Ball Super anyway)

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 am

My point still stands, Vegeta isn't interesting in super, at all..
These are all nitpicking, he isn't a family man than he was before ,which is totally wrong by the way, he is even leaving training to worry about bulma having a child when he went to space and didn't care worth shit before, he is a literally a goody goody family man and has lost all of his threatening qualities..
Even beginning to lose his position as Goku's rival, hit's taking it..

Yes, good one lines aren't present in super, they are shit no matter how you look at them..
Defending something by getting technical is not really the best way to look at it when something else entirely is happening practically..

There is a reason this thread exists, more people than myself feel the same way about vegeta, and thinking what is the case technically isn't going to change that fact
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:30 am

Nejishiki wrote:I'm not sharing the impression about Vegeta acting like a "submissive dog" with Beerus. Is it simply because he bows? That's a sign of respect. Before Beerus disrespected his wife, his attitude towards Beerus was subservient, yes. After that, he never heeded to his word on the pretense of "submission", if you want to call it that.

I think you misinterpreted Vegeta's moment with Whis. Whis acted as if he gave Goku special training. Vegeta naturally wanted to undergo the same training & complete it better than Kakarotto would. Whis continuously denied those requests in favor of making him train through their normal routine. When you see Vegeta lying about the counts he did & the special sauce, he's doing so to receive better training posthaste. It's only later when he finds out "Goku's special training" consisted of placing a Hit on himself.
There is bowing out of respect and bowing out of fear, and Vegeta seems to do the latter. Him bowing is already something that should piss him off to do, and not do so conveniently IMO lol
It was understandable during BoG as Kaio told him SSJ3 Goku was done in one blow, but the way he acts towards Beerus does not match with his proud personality, and he's not even getting respected by Beerus. Goku, who's always addressing him very friendly gets more respect out of Beerus than Vegeta. Beerus tells Vegeta to go gather the dragon balls, he's gone within the second, yes master! I don't know, it just doesn't feel right lol
Personally, I think allegations of Vegeta being disrespected, in general, are overblown.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:There is bowing out of respect and bowing out of fear, and Vegeta seems to do the latter. Him bowing is already something that should piss him off to do, and not do so conveniently IMO lol
It was understandable during BoG as Kaio told him SSJ3 Goku was done in one blow, but the way he acts towards Beerus does not match with his proud personality, and he's not even getting respected by Beerus. Goku, who's always addressing him very friendly gets more respect out of Beerus than Vegeta. Beerus tells Vegeta to go gather the dragon balls, he's gone within the second, yes master! I don't know, it just doesn't feel right lol

What do you think Vegeta did his entire life under Freeza? He is used to taking orders, otherwise he'd be dead by now.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:39 am

Ki Breaker wrote: Even beginning to lose his position as Goku's rival, hit's taking it..
Yes! That moment where he was jealous of Hit and directly starting a scene with Goku about it, like a drama queen, then he immediately apologizes to Beerus, just small moments like these seems SO off to me lol
Doctor. wrote: What do you think Vegeta did his entire life under Freeza? He is used to taking orders, otherwise he'd be dead by now.
You are right but it's all about the attitude, compare the scenes when you see him bowing to Freeza with the ones he's bowing to Beerus, there's a galaxy of difference between them about the way he feels.
Last edited by PsionicWarrior on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:46 am

Ki Breaker wrote:My point still stands, Vegeta isn't interesting in super, at all..
These are all nitpicking, he isn't a family man than he was before ,which is totally wrong by the way, he is even leaving training to worry about bulma having a child when he went to space and didn't care worth shit before, he is a literally a goody goody family man and has lost all of his threatening qualities..

Yes, good one lines aren't present in super, they are shit no matter how you look at them..
Defending something by getting technical is not really the best way to look at it when something else entirely is happening practically..

There is a reason this thread exists, more people than myself feel the same way about vegeta, and thinking what is the case technically isn't going to change that fact
I don't believe I relinquished your right of thinking Vegeta was boring to you. I didn't comment on it. I'm not sure why I'm being accused of trying to "change" anything either. We're just having a conversation, yes? Does sitting on the opposing side make me unfavorable to speak with? I spoke on a particular subject in regard to his character. I'd appreciate if my post weren't dismissed as "nitpicking". I think I made a fair message that addressed how Vegeta is perceived by others. There should be nothing wrong with isolating what fans think & what's portrayed on-screen. As for me being "wrong", you're nitpicking yourself, aren't you? How about we keep towards the heart of the matter? :lol:

For the sake of clarifying my position, I'm not saying he's not a "family man" at all. I expressed belief that his "family man" persona (you know, implying he's entirely wholesome & the like) is exaggerated. He's not portrayed as a stereotypical father & husband figure. The poison is still present in him. At his base, he's a martial artist who shares qualities with Goku, for better or for worse. Yes, he does care about Trunks more than he did before. I don't think anyone was denying that. Goku cares about his Sons just as much but the "family man" tag isn't commonly applied to him. Rather, the base of his character continues the habits of what's he done before in addition to his calmer attitude. That never changed about him, the narrative is reapplying the dynamics of his actions. His presence has increased thus you're learning details about him that were never explored deeply before.

As noted before, he still speaks harshly against his enemies. Perhaps you simply don't like his lines? That quality of arrogance & proclaiming himself "Vegeta-sama" didn't disappear. It's one thing to claim you didn't like them & another to claim he never does so anymore. I'm not really getting technical more than I'm viewing Vegeta in context. I'm not a fan of hyperbole, if you can figure that. :) Maybe this message helps a bit, maybe it doesn't but my feelings that exaggerations are present is real & I also came to this topic for a reason just like you did!
PsionicWarrior wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'm short on time with completely addressing you, but that's taking something out of context to further the idea that he's disrespected by everyone in deviousness. He's the straight man in the series' comedic scenes, yes but it's not without merit that he has that. It seems odd that we think there's an agenda against him, specifically.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:42 am

Nejishiki wrote:It seems odd that we think there's an agenda against him, specifically.
Oh that's not what I was implying at all sorry for the confusion, in OP I said I think Vegeta is "a bit misunderstood in Super", and these instances are some of the ones annoying me lol
Last edited by PsionicWarrior on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:44 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:Hey folks, I don't know what you think, but personally I feel like Vegeta is a bit misunderstood in Super, while I certainly appreciate his character development as a father and how he learned to tolerate appreciate humans, it freaking annoys me when he just turns into Beerus's submissive dog or that he skips some training by baiting Whis with food. IMO Super gave this character many embarrassing moments that I don't feel the need to illustrate but if you don't see what I'm talking about I'll certainly do the effort lol

Please discuss.

The Vegeta in Super is not the Vegeta in DBZ, I think we can all agree on that.
His years living on earth and having his own family changed him, mostly good but also some bad.
We all know Vegeta lives for his pride, there was nothing more important to him since he had nothing else to live for, until Bulma happened.

The fact that he is willing to put the fate of the earth and the love of his family before his precious pride say a lot about him and how much he has changed.
So yes, he was willing to humiliate himself before others for the sake of others.
I think it showed his strength of character by doing this and I will certainly don't think any less of him.

The bad things are however that by mellowing he has lost a lot of his intensity, his edge so to say.
He still wants to beat Goku and be the strongest but no longer with the same passion and drive he had before.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:36 am

The "Vegeta bows to Beerus" gag isn't funny. It's ridiculously out of character. How the hell can he even go around teaching Cabba and Trunks about pride and shit and then not even doing what he preaches.
I mean, Vegeta has been completely fine outside of fillers (unlike Goku) but they should just stop making him Beerus' bitch, unless in the future he is going to realize just how much of his pride he tossed around because of Beerus, and finally punch some sense out of the cat
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:06 am

Nejishiki wrote:I'd argue he simply cares about his companions through the same frequency Goku does. I don't think he's anymore a "family man" than he wasn't before. The reason I find that repeated term odd is because Vegeta still exhibits no problems being absent from his home life. Don't misunderstand, I'm not going to treat that as if makes him a terrible person or something. I'm simply expressing that he remains heavily rooted in the martial arts lifestyle. Becoming less of a monster doesn't make him the spokesperson for ZTV now. I think that aspect of Vegeta's character is exaggerated, too. He's not cooking BBQ with a smile on his face, he's making takoyaki for training favors.
No, that's Piccolo…. I'm sorry, that was such a low hanging fruit.
emperior wrote:The "Vegeta bows to Beerus" gag isn't funny. It's ridiculously out of character. How the hell can he even go around teaching Cabba and Trunks about pride and shit and then not even doing what he preaches.
I mean, Vegeta has been completely fine outside of fillers (unlike Goku) but they should just stop making him Beerus' bitch, unless in the future he is going to realize just how much of his pride he tossed around because of Beerus, and finally punch some sense out of the cat
He humbles himself to Beerus for the same reason the prideful God of Destruction humbles himself in front of Zen'o. Beerus is must stronger than Vegeta and despite being more mellow, can and will kill his love ones for petty reasons. The days where Vegeta put his pride above all us are long over, and thank god for it since we don't need another plot to happened or be extended because Vegeta couldn't let go of his ego like in the Cell and Buu Sagas.

So if being Beerus' bitch keeps his family safe, guess what, he's going to be Beerus' bitch. Just like Beerus will be Zen'o bitch to keep him happy and his universe intact.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:15 am

Nejishiki wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:My point still stands, Vegeta isn't interesting in super, at all..

I don't believe I relinquished your right of thinking Vegeta was boring to you. I didn't comment on it. I'm not sure why I'm being accused of trying to "change" anything either. We're just having a conversation, yes? Does sitting on the opposing side make me unfavorable to speak with? I spoke on a particular subject in regard to his character. I'd appreciate if my post weren't dismissed as "nitpicking". I think I made a fair message that addressed how Vegeta is perceived by others. There should be nothing wrong with isolating what fans think & what's portrayed on-screen. As for me being "wrong", you're nitpicking yourself, aren't you? How about we keep towards the heart of the matter? :lol:

For the sake of clarifying my position, I'm not saying he's not a "family man" at all. I expressed belief that his "family man" persona (you know, implying he's entirely wholesome & the like) is exaggerated. He's not portrayed as a stereotypical father & husband figure. The poison is still present in him. At his base, he's a martial artist who shares qualities with Goku, for better or for worse. Yes, he does care about Trunks more than he did before. I don't think anyone was denying that. Goku cares about his Sons just as much but the "family man" tag isn't commonly applied to him. Rather, the base of his character continues the habits of what's he done before in addition to his calmer attitude. That never changed about him, the narrative is reapplying the dynamics of his actions. His presence has increased thus you're learning details about him that were never explored deeply before.

As noted before, he still speaks harshly against his enemies. Perhaps you simply don't like his lines? That quality of arrogance & proclaiming himself "Vegeta-sama" didn't disappear. It's one thing to claim you didn't like them & another to claim he never does so anymore. I'm not really getting technical more than I'm viewing Vegeta in context. I'm not a fan of hyperbole, if you can figure that. :) Maybe this message helps a bit, maybe it doesn't but my feelings that exaggerations are present is real & I also came to this topic for a reason just like you did!
You aren't being accused of anything but when someone argues with the opposite party one thing is at play in the core, proving their points invalid and having them accept your way of thinking, I am not sure what it's for you.. as for me nitpicking for calling your points wrong, no, nitpicking dosen't work like that, and for the record I wasn't dismissing your entire post as nonsense, but yes, let's keep towards the heart of the matter :thumbup:

I won't go into full clarification of my points,j just the jist should be enough, Vegeta is not the same as he was towards his opponents either, call it his softness but he goes down way too fast, the feeling present is his spirit is tamed..

His arrogance didn't only include him saying vegeta sama hardly two times in the show, it showed in his ways, which again is gone now, when present it's more of a habit than what he is actually feeling, I still don't believe him to be having decent one liners, if you like them more power to you..

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 am

emperior wrote:The "Vegeta bows to Beerus" gag isn't funny. It's ridiculously out of character. How the hell can he even go around teaching Cabba and Trunks about pride and shit and then not even doing what he preaches.
How is bowing to superior authority in the form a God who can at will destroy anything and anyone at a snap of a finger "OOC"? It's not OOC it's just plain smart, Vegeta isn't an idiot infact doing the opposite would be "OOC"for him.

If Vegeta does what you say then he would be dead....