The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:14 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Thank you Octorockandroll. That was helpful.


Now to see who the Angels are and their names.
My pleasure. As for the angels, I think Universe 11's angel is going to be called "Pudding" or some japanisation of the word because she's clearly a sendoff to Harley Quinn and she could be referencing pudding shots.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20962
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:26 pm


User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 pm

So does this mean Liqeuer is the strongest?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Quick post because I personally disagree with some of the theories I see here and there regarding the pun names:

1st Universe: "Iwan", probably from "wine"
2nd Universe: "Heresu", probably from "Helles"
3rd Universe: "Mosuko", probably from "cosmo"
4th Universe: "Kitera", probably from "tequila"
5th Universe: "Araku", probably from "arak" / "araq"
6th Universe: "Shanpa", probably from "Champagne"
7th Universe: "Bīrusu", from "virus"... but Toriyama thought it was from "beer"
8th Universe: "Rikīru", probably from "liqueur"
9th Universe: "Shidora", probably from "sidra" (cider)
10th Universe: "Ramūshi", probably from "rum-shu" (rum)
11th Universe: "Berumoddo", probably from "Wermut" (vermouth)
12th Universe: "Jīn", probably from "gin"

User avatar
Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:Quick post because I personally disagree with some of the theories I see here and there regarding the pun names:

1st Universe: "Iwan", probably from "wine"
2nd Universe: "Heresu", probably from "Helles"
3rd Universe: "Mosuko", probably from "cosmo"
4th Universe: "Kitera", probably from "tequila"
5th Universe: "Araku", probably from "arak" / "araq"
6th Universe: "Shanpa", probably from "Champagne"
7th Universe: "Bīrusu", from "virus"... but Toriyama thought it was from "beer"
8th Universe: "Rikīru", probably from "liqueur"
9th Universe: "Shidora", probably from "sidra" (cider)
10th Universe: "Ramūshi", probably from "rum-shu" (rum)
11th Universe: "Berumoddo", probably from "Wermut" (vermouth)
12th Universe: "Jīn", probably from "gin"
Okay I see your point with most of these but how the heck do you look at "Mosuko" and get "Cosmopolitan"?
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

NeoKING
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1408
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by NeoKING » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Octorockandroll wrote: Okay I see your point with most of these but how the heck do you look at "Mosuko" and get "Cosmopolitan"?
Mosuko is "Cosmo" backwards in Japanese. Mo-su-ko. Ko-su-mo = Cosmo.

User avatar
Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:10 pm

NeoKING wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote: Okay I see your point with most of these but how the heck do you look at "Mosuko" and get "Cosmopolitan"?
Mosuko is "Cosmo" backwards in Japanese. Mo-su-ko. Ko-su-mo = Cosmo.
Hmm... Still seems like a stretch, being a rearrangement of an abbreviation and all but maybe. I just find it a bit weird that it shares the name of a popular japanese hair product line but I suppose that could just be coincidence.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Olivier Hague
I Live Here
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:Hmm... Still seems like a stretch, being a rearrangement of an abbreviation and all but maybe.
A fairly common abbreviation, even in Japan. And of course, rearrangements like that are common place in Dragon Ball (like "Iwan"/"wine" and "Kitera"/"tequila", in that list alone).
I just find it a bit weird that it shares the name of a popular japanese hair product line
It's an adjective.
Last edited by Olivier Hague on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:Hmm... Still seems like a stretch, being a rearrangement of an abbreviation and all but maybe.
A fairly common abbreviation, even in Japan. And of course, rearrangements like that are common place in Dragon Ball (like "Iwan"/"wine" and "Kitera"/"tequila", in that list alone).
I've never heard anyone abbreviate "cosmopolitan" into "cosmo" but if its common in Japan I suppose that would make sense.
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

User avatar
DBS916
Regular
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by DBS916 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:
Octorockandroll wrote:Hmm... Still seems like a stretch, being a rearrangement of an abbreviation and all but maybe.
A fairly common abbreviation, even in Japan. And of course, rearrangements like that are common place in Dragon Ball (like "Iwan"/"wine" and "Kitera"/"tequila", in that list alone).
I've never heard anyone abbreviate "cosmopolitan" into "cosmo" but if its common in Japan I suppose that would make sense.
I've heard people do it before since it's common in the states.

Olivier Hague
I Live Here
Posts: 2171
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:30 pm

Octorockandroll wrote:I've never heard anyone abbreviate "cosmopolitan" into "cosmo" but if its common in Japan I suppose that would make sense.
Just to be clear, my problem was mainly with the Youtube video linked above (as well as some other posts elsewhere).
I think your theory for that particular name could work, too. But personally, I'd rather go with the "cosmo" pun, as the rearrangement seems fairly "Dragon Ball-ish" to me, compared to the shortening of "Moscow Mule"... That, and I'm more familiar with that cocktail, I guess. :P

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:35 pm

Has Herms clarified what all the names are? I'm seeing different ones so I don't know what the actual proper names are.

User avatar
The gr
I Live Here
Posts: 2843
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by The gr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Toyotaro you magnificent bastardImage ImageWasn't Luud called a "God of Destruction" in GT? If so That's a pretty clever Easter Egg by Toyotaro and it just proves that toyotaro is a huge fanboy
Last edited by The gr on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Draconic
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 pm
Location: Romania

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Draconic » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:29 pm

I love how the pun for U10's God works.

On one hand, it's carrying the pun of alcholic breverages we expected, based on rum. In japanese rum is spelled rumu-shu.
Also, as you probably knew already, Ganesha's name can be also spelled as Ganesh. In japanese that would be Ganeshu. Rumu-shu is the closest drink name to that.

I think it's pretty cool and too much to be a coincidence.
English is not my first language !

My breakdown of the new and old transformations. Hope to update it soon with many others!

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:37 pm

I like Toyotarou's redesign for Uni 3's so much better than the "giant baby" design of GT Luud.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
Lord Frieza
I Live Here
Posts: 3704
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:37 pm

Rumoosh's hand look so weird. It's like a human hand with elephant toe nails sticking out of the fingers.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14020
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:33 pm

U1's design is my last favorite because it feels kinda lazy. However I love the rest of the GoD designs and U12 is probably my favorite out of the 12 GoDs.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
DBS916
Regular
Posts: 513
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by DBS916 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:U1's design is my last favorite because it feels kinda lazy. However I love the rest of the GoD designs and U12 is probably my favorite out of the 12 GoDs.
It's okay. I do agree it feels lazy because it's basically a furball of destruction.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14020
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:08 pm

What designs did you wanted to see for the other Gods of Destruction, but didn't happen. I think a Tiki GoD or a Hawaiian theme type of God would have been cool.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
Esfír Dedragón
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:47 pm
Location: SEGMENTVM SOLAR

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by Esfír Dedragón » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm disappointed in finding out that not all of the Gods of Destructions were designed by Toriyama.

It sort of makes them seem "less legitimate", in my eyes. :/
DRAGON BALL IS THE KING OF (Fighting) ANIME!!!!!!! In my opinion, at least... :think:

My reaction to anything about Dragon Ball post-2013 that I don't like and/or is stupid. :P
https://coub.com/view/6osx6

Post Reply