The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JoeCapricorn
Beyond Newbie

Re: The New Gods of the Universe Survival Arc Discussion Thread

Post by JoeCapricorn » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:49 pm

I like Liquir's design. Then again, I am kind of a furry.

Mosco's design does seem inspired by Luud, but I also notice that there seems to be a tiny little viewing window on his belly. Interesting!

Vermoud is not a name I would have expected for a clown. I'm glad it's not something stupid!

Octorockandroll
Beyond Newbie

Post by Octorockandroll » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:33 pm

JoeCapricorn wrote:I like Liquir's design. Then again, I am kind of a furry.

Vermoud is not a name I would have expected for a clown. I'm glad it's not something stupid!
I mean it is very unlikely that they would have come up with anything worse than "Violent J" and "Shaggy 2 Dope"
"*sarcastically* Yeah, sure, let's go see Yamcha."

-Vegeta

Booze Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booze Sama » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Who do you guys think is the oldest? Any species deriving from water-based environments should be. I'm going with Gin.

Shi_Neko13
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shi_Neko13 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:15 pm

so the dark hooded guy in U11...anyone else notice that when that shot was first shown he had white gloves showing (booze sama's current profile pic), but in the NEP in ep 77 and ep 78 itself his arms were totally covered.
Significance?

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:17 pm

Based off Herms tweet, they still kept x+y universe=13 but they aren't considered twin universes anymore? Idk to me that doesn't make sense if Universe 6 and Universe 7 are the only twins, having planets and races similar etc.

RafaelLeon

Post by RafaelLeon » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:11 am

Does anyone have any theories for the difference in the shape in the GoDs clothes? Some have circles, others triangles and so on...

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:22 am

Shi_Neko13 wrote:so the dark hooded guy in U11...anyone else notice that when that shot was first shown he had white gloves showing (booze sama's current profile pic), but in the NEP in ep 77 and ep 78 itself his arms were totally covered.
Significance?
It's quite interesting. It could possibly mean it's not who we thought it was. At the same time, the shot in the NEP for 78 barely shows his face, and it seems to be the same shade color as the original shot in the first trailer we got, which would match the alien dude Goku was fighting. Not to mention, the build doesn't fit the Beerus looking character, and if it was Toppo we'd probably be able to see his mustache. I'm guessing that it's still the buff alien dude.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:09 am

I think the hooded guy is the bat-kaioshin to that universe's hakaishin-joker. The other, smaller kaioshin has Robin's color scheme.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:40 am

DainIronfoot wrote:Based off Herms tweet, they still kept x+y universe=13 but they aren't considered twin universes anymore? Idk to me that doesn't make sense if Universe 6 and Universe 7 are the only twins, having planets and races similar etc.
Twin universe = same planets and races, not that the gods themselves are twins. Look at the U6 and U7 Kaioshin, they're completely different. Beerus and Champa just happen to be twin brothers who became Hakaishin on twin universes.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 am

Sandubadear wrote:
DainIronfoot wrote:Based off Herms tweet, they still kept x+y universe=13 but they aren't considered twin universes anymore? Idk to me that doesn't make sense if Universe 6 and Universe 7 are the only twins, having planets and races similar etc.
Twin universe = same planets and races, not that the gods themselves are twins. Look at the U6 and U7 Kaioshin, they're completely different. Beerus and Champa just happen to be twin brothers who became Hakaishin on twin universes.
I agree. Whis mentioned in the anime the universes are created as pairs; a front and a back. Similar to when Cabba was reveled to be a Saiyan from Universe 6, who's Saiyans have evolved where they don't have tails anymore but they have their original home world.

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:53 am

RafaelLeon wrote:Does anyone have any theories for the difference in the shape in the GoDs clothes? Some have circles, others triangles and so on...
Yeah, I wonder if it will ever be reveled if they various shapes are of importance, or are they just decoration for the characters. If I would have to guess it's more decoration, where the respected God of Destruction would chose their own symbols both them and their angel attendants would wear as their uniform.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:03 am

Esfír Dedragón wrote:I'm disappointed in finding out that not all of the Gods of Destructions were designed by Toriyama.

It sort of makes them seem "less legitimate", in my eyes. :/
Physically. We don't know about conceptually yet. Even then it doesn't matter too much Toyo done a good job, with so many designs to do no surprise Toriyama will need help.

mawilex
Beyond Newbie

Post by mawilex » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:24 am

The gr wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Is it true that Toyotaro designed more gods than Toriyama? You guys weren't kidding about Toriyama doing the bare minimum of work :(
Here the chart here [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]cut toriyama some slacks here, he can't design 100 character alone,he must had help from toyotaro and maybe toei
The artworks of the ToyoTori ones are clearly drawn by Toriyama by the way. He always uses thicker lines in his artwork. Just compare those two + the Toriyama ones with the Toyotaro ones and you'll see the difference.

Toriyama has probably designed some new Angels, Kaioshins, and new fighters (along with No. 17 & No. 18's new designs and the Tournament of Power arena), as well as writing the story of the arc. Not to mention that he is providing Square Enix character-desgins for Dragon Quest XI at the same time. So yeah, definitely cut Toriyama some slack. This "Toriyama is lazy" meme is starting to get really annoying.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 pm

mawilex wrote:
The gr wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Is it true that Toyotaro designed more gods than Toriyama? You guys weren't kidding about Toriyama doing the bare minimum of work :(
Here the chart here [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]cut toriyama some slacks here, he can't design 100 character alone,he must had help from toyotaro and maybe toei
The artworks of the ToyoTori ones are clearly drawn by Toriyama by the way. He always uses thicker lines in his artwork. Just compare those two + the Toriyama ones with the Toyotaro ones and you'll see the difference.

Toriyama has probably designed some new Angels, Kaioshins, and new fighters (along with No. 17 & No. 18's new designs and the Tournament of Power arena), as well as writing the story of the arc. Not to mention that he is providing Square Enix character-desgins for Dragon Quest XI at the same time. So yeah, definitely cut Toriyama some slack. This "Toriyama is lazy" meme is starting to get really annoying.
but the magazine stated the u2 and u11 god of destruction are designed by toriyama and toyotaro, and your right about that this toriyama meme is getting annoying,of course he needed help from toyble to design the fighters, kaioshins,angels and god of destruction
Mostly active on discord.

mawilex
Beyond Newbie

Post by mawilex » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 pm

The gr wrote:but the magazine stated the u2 and u11 god of destruction are designed by toriyama and toyotaro
I wasn't denying that. The point I was trying to make is that while both Toyotaro and Toriyama came up with those two characters, the latter still went and drew the final artworks, and that if he was that lazy he could have easily let Toyotaro do that part, since he was also part of the design process.

Edit: Sorry if I'm not being clear sometimes. English is not my first language, so I always have a hard time expressing my thoughts correctly. ^^"

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 pm

Well, finally good news. I'm not represented by a cockroach god.

The p**sy instead.

I dunno, in a plethora of monsters, having a normal woman is very suspect, so maybe she's hiding something.
And, to be sexist until the end, I'll be very nervous to have a girl decide what planets to destroy, based only on her mood.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:04 pm

mawilex wrote:
The gr wrote:but the magazine stated the u2 and u11 god of destruction are designed by toriyama and toyotaro
I wasn't denying that. The point I was trying to make is that while both Toyotaro and Toriyama came up with those two characters, the latter still went and drew the final artworks, and that if he was that lazy he could have easily let Toyotaro do that part, since he was also part of the design process.

Edit: Sorry if I'm not being clear sometimes. English is not my first language, so I always have a hard time expressing my thoughts correctly. ^^"
It was perfectly understandable to me at least :thumbup:

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Esfír Dedragón wrote:I'm disappointed in finding out that not all of the Gods of Destructions were designed by Toriyama.

It sort of makes them seem "less legitimate", in my eyes. :/
Physically. We don't know about conceptually yet. Even then it doesn't matter too much Toyo done a good job, with so many designs to do no surprise Toriyama will need help.
Toyo did my two favorite new designs (merman and Fox) and helped with my 3rd favorite (Cleopatra) so he did a really good job.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:29 pm

So I'm 100% sure Mosco's design is a reference to Luud from GT: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQo5695jpA4/

Toyota you GENUINE FANBOY YOU

I swear, having someone who knows the franchise inside and out teaming up with Toriyama who knows the franchise whenever he's forced to remember it is great. We've had very, very slick allusions to GT before in Super, but this one takes the cake. And it makes sense that he doesn't look exactly like Luud because he's from another universe.

mawilex
Beyond Newbie

Post by mawilex » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:40 pm

dbgtFO wrote:It was perfectly understandable to me at least :thumbup:
Haha, glad to hear that. :) But to be fair, there was room for misunderstanding with the way I expressed myself in my first post, as I only stated that "Toriyama drew those artworks" without really giving any context or reason for why I actually said that. x) It's only with my second post that I explained why I brought that up. :p

I should probably also mention that I could be wrong and that maybe Toyotaro is the one who drew those artworks. :lol: I remember one time I posted a picture of an artwork of Future Mai and said that Toriyama is the one who drew it, when it was actually Yamamuro. :oops: