Is Toriyama just giving fans what they want?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The_Destroyer
Regular

Re: Is Toriyama just giving fans what they want?

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Jaetinh wrote:
Totamo wrote: yamcha has a worst fighting than roshi, who may not have power but has more wisdom than every fighter outside of piccolo.

besides ifd he brought yamcha in and he got oneshotted like he undoubtedly will, the fanbase would get pissed.
And Roshi wouldn't get one shotted? Toriyama doesn't give a flying fuck if the fanbase get pissed anyways. Yamcha should had been included, Roshi's time as a Z-fighter should had (and did) ended back at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai.
No, roshi wouldn't, has roshi ever been one shotted? He pulls something off always.. that's how he is written , they made it clear in rof saying Yamcha can't handle this..
We shouldnt take what Tien says as Roshi>Yamcha because it was Krillin who brought Roshi, not Tien.

Plus, that line was omitted from Super for a reason. Tien only mentions Chaotzu, no one brings up Yamcha's absense.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:45 pm

He certainly isn't giving me what I want. Super has given me nothing but frustration as a huge Dragon Ball fan. I'm getting more enjoyment out of DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters. The fan service wouldn't bother me so much if the story was actually decent. There isn't even really a story. The story is just a vehicle to provide fan service. Crappy fan service.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:51 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:He certainly isn't giving me what I want. Super has given me nothing but frustration as a huge Dragon Ball fan. I'm getting more enjoyment out of DBZ Kai: The Final Chapters. The fan service wouldn't bother me so much if the story was actually decent. There isn't even really a story. The story is just a vehicle to provide fan service. Crappy fan service.
This. It's a fanservice overload. MONDO COOL.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:16 am

i hate how ppl throw around toriyama and toei just want money as a set in stone fact.
i honestly believe toriyama enjoys writing dragonball even to this day.
he writes from a entertaining perspective and doesnt look to deep into what should be right or not.
i mean apart from power levels super have been pretty good.
world building, characters, comedy , story are entertaining which is what toriyama wants.
he wants ppl to enjoy super and he is going a very good job.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:21 am

Tsufuru wrote:i hate how ppl throw around toriyama and toei just want money as a set in stone fact.
i honestly believe toriyama enjoys writing dragonball even to this day.
he writes from a entertaining perspective and doesnt look to deep into what should be right or not.
i mean apart from power levels super have been pretty good.
world building, characters, comedy , story are entertaining which is what toriyama wants.
he wants ppl to enjoy super and he is going a very good job.
He probably enjoys writing stuff for Dragon Ball a lot more now that he no longer has to draw it all the time. I'll say this, Roshi's role in episodes 75-76 of Super is better than anything he really got in the Z portion of the series. With that said, those things that Super does well at, some are pretty subjective. I can understand why people have frustration with the series too.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:03 pm

I appreciate a bit of fan service here and there. If you look at the manga, besides Toyotaro's homages to Toriyama (which isn't really fan service) you can see there is very little fan service in Super, and the fan service Toriyama gave us isn't bad to be honest.
Here's a list of things that can be considered fan service that come to my mind, 100% Toriyama:

Golden Freezer. This was pure fan service and not even well realized.
New transformations for Goku and Vegeta. Not that Dragon Ball didn't have many.
U6 having a Saiyan and Freezer's counterpart. Which totally makes sense given the explanation we got about twin universes.
Future Trunks back and Evil Goku. Pure fan servicism but incredibly well done.
Mafuuba. Which makes sense to be brought back considering Zamasu was an immortal.

Fan service still not confirmed to be Toriyama's:

Trunks' new form.
Vegetto back.

Toyotaro has tried not to fill his manga with fan servicism apart from the homages to Toriyama (which I repeat, are not that big of a deal and I'm quite sure not many fans noticed)
On the other hand, the anime has given us more fan service than Toyotaro but it's not that much and it's not cringey fan service, at least not for me.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical