Latin American Super Dub Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Torturephile
Regular

Re: LATIN AMERICAN DUB CONFIRMED (Brenda Nava Confirmed as translator!)

Post by Torturephile » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:30 pm

I love that in episode 109, when Goku is done fighting Super Ribrianne and kicks her away before facing Jiren, he shouts to Ribrianne, "Shut up!", while in the Japanese version he just grunts.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 am

Any opinions on the Broly Movie dub?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:Any opinions on the Broly Movie dub?
Yup. I found it better than the Super dub. The voices sounded WAY more natural than in the show, the voices for new characters were appropiate (one of my favs is Gine's) and the dialogue director really impressed me with calling some retired VAs like Nappa's* to be in this movie.

One of the standouts of this movie's dub was Broly. Ricardo Brust, his VA, really understood the personality of the new Broly. His screams were more powerful than those heard in the trailers and in movies 8 and 10.

There also were startalents in this dub, in this case, influencers, but fortunately, none of them did have a major role.

* I'm pretty sure Nappa's VA (José Luis Castañeda) was really hard to get. They tried to get him for Kai and Super but they didn't have success.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 pm

Tian wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:Any opinions on the Broly Movie dub?
Yup. I found it better than the Super dub. The voices sounded WAY more natural than in the show, the voices for new characters were appropiate (one of my favs is Gine's) and the dialogue director really impressed me with calling some retired VAs like Nappa's* to be in this movie.

One of the standouts of this movie's dub was Broly. Ricardo Brust, his VA, really understood the personality of the new Broly. His screams were more powerful than those heard in the trailers and in movies 8 and 10.

There also were startalents in this dub, in this case, influencers, but fortunately, none of them did have a major role.

* I'm pretty sure Nappa's VA (José Luis Castañeda) was really hard to get. They tried to get him for Kai and Super but they didn't have success.
Good to know, especially the Nappa voice returning.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:49 pm

I had no idea they finally started airing new episodes again. Let's see how long it lasts before another issue arises.
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The duality of man.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Ending 11 sung by Cassandra Valtier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oqi8lkYVUU

By the way, Cure Dragon, sorry if I bother you with this but, could you change the topic's title? It feels a bit outdated.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Latin American Super Dub Thread

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Something really weird happened in Episode 131...

Ultimate Battle was dubbed :shock:
https://youtu.be/1VtmtQjm6QQ

I thought they would keep it in Japanese like they did in the previous occasions where the song was played.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Tian wrote:Something really weird happened in Episode 131...

I thought they would keep it in Japanese like they did in the previous occasions where the song was played.
Not lying, but it sounded weird, it seems the sound mixing isn't good. The music is higher than the characters's voices. And the singer sounds forced.

And not lying again, and not because I'm brazilian too, but the brazilian portuguese version of the song sounds a lot better than the spanish one.

It would be better if they kept the japanese version again.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Tian wrote:Something really weird happened in Episode 131...

Not lying, but it sounded weird, it seems the sound mixing isn't good. The music is higher than the characters's voices. And the singer sounds forced.

And not lying again, and not because I'm brazilian too, but the brazilian portuguese version of the song sounds a lot better than the spanish one.

It would be better if they kept the japanese version again.
Yeah, the mixing is shitty and the singer sounds forced as hell. But at least it's better than the atrocious dub of the Opening 2 we had. So I am giving it a 7/10 because he didn't sound out of tune or like they inserted an autotune on him.

About the lyrics, the only thing I can say about them because the mixing made it impossible to hear some parts of the song clearly is that I didn't like the way they adapted "Ka Ka Kachi Daze" as "Para lograr la victoria". I would have liked something like the Brazilian dub: Ba Ba Ba Batalha.

I'll try to figure out what it is said besides "Para lograr la victoria", "No hay que pensar solo tengo que ir a pelear" ,"Fuerza interior, energía" and "De lo que seré capaz"

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:50 pm

Never thought we'd reach this point already, but this is the end, at least for now. Now I hope the dub comes out on DVD or blue ray to watch the censored scenes.

I'm not a fan of the dubbed "Ultimate Battle" track either. It sounded silly while playing during a rather awesome moment for the reasons stated by others.

And what is with Caulifla's voice once she was revived? She nearly sounded like a mix of Kale and Sarah of Ed, Edd n Eddy.
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
The duality of man.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:09 am

Allright, I could figure out the other lyrics and here it is, the full lyrics of the song:
Para lograr la victoria
Enfrentando al enemigo
En esta batalla hasta el final iré
No hay que pensar solo tengo que ir a pelear
Reconozco y siento mi poder fluyendo hacía mí
Tú podrías desatar aquí toda mi fuerza interior
Energía sin cadenas
Todos se sorpenderán de lo que seré capaz

Para lograr la victoria
Enfrentando al enemigo
En esta batalla hasta el final iré
En la penumbra ese orgullo protegeré
Este es el ego que me tiene que sorprender
Here's the translation:
To get the victory
Facing the enemy
In this battle till the end I'll go
I don't have to think I just gotta fight
I recognize and feel my power flowing to me
You could unleash here all my inner strength
Unchained energy
Everyone will be surprised of what I'll be able

To get the victory
Facing the enemy
In this battle till the end I'll go
In the darkness that pride I'll protect
This is the ego that has to surprise me

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:23 am

Torturephile wrote:Never thought we'd reach this point already, but this is the end, at least for now. Now I hope the dub comes out on DVD or blue ray to watch the censored scenes.

I'm not a fan of the dubbed "Ultimate Battle" track either. It sounded silly while playing during a rather awesome moment for the reasons stated by others.

And what is with Caulifla's voice once she was revived? She nearly sounded like a mix of Kale and Sarah of Ed, Edd n Eddy.
This dub has been censored? Examples?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:21 pm

sangofe wrote: This dub has been censored? Examples?
Yes, but I remember they just censored sexual scenes like Roshi's antics. It didn't bother me at all they censored those because I don't watch Dragon Ball for sexual humour, I watch it for the fights and the story.

A noticeable example would be Roshi against Universe 4 Caway.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Tian wrote:
Yes, but I remember they just censored sexual scenes like Roshi's antics. It didn't bother me at all they censored those because I don't watch Dragon Ball for sexual humour, I watch it for the fights and the story.

The brazilian dub had the same censorship as well.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:25 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
Tian wrote:

The brazilian dub had the same censorship as well.
Did it air on Cartoon Network as well?
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
The duality of man.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:29 am

I wonder if the Ultimate Battle lyrics we have heard were a literal translation of FUNi's lyrics.

You know, Candiani got rid of our favourite and usual translator Brenda Nava and hired some guy called Axel Contreras who translated episodes 121-131 using FUNi scripts.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 am

How do you know ep 121-131 use Funi scripts? The most recent episode Adult Swim aired was ep 103, and considering that new episodes are aired once a week, I don't think the Funi dub of those episodes is going to premiere until a few months pass.

On a different note, how accurate is the Latino Super script (with ep 1-120 and 121-131 counted as separate blocks if this is really true) compared to Brazilian Super, Portugal Super, Castelan Super, French Super and Funi Super (and do Castelan Super and French Super use the same script)?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:45 am

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:12 am How do you know ep 121-131 use Funi scripts? The most recent episode Adult Swim aired was ep 103, and considering that new episodes are aired once a week, I don't think the Funi dub of those episodes is going to premiere until a few months pass.
It's pretty easy to know they were translated from FUNi scripts since:

• Candiani doesn't have many Japanese to Spanish translators. The only ones are Brenda Nava (who was laid off by the guy in charge of the translation department, Luis Walter Reyes) and Dai Hayase.

• Engrish Toei Scripts are no longer used. In case we have to translate something Dragon Ball from English, FUNi scripts are used. This also happened in Kai TFC (where we used the Japanese version as audio reference but the dialogue is from FUNi).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:28 pm

What was the story with the Brazilian Portuguese scripts, and what were the chances the Latino dub took those instead of Funi's?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.