Latin American Super Dub Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Re: Latin American Super Dub Thread

Post by gregoryluis09 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:28 pm What was the story with the Brazilian Portuguese scripts, and what were the chances the Latino dub took those instead of Funi's?
Brazilian scripts were translated directly from Japanese by Marcelo Del Greco, but he also added some stupid jokes and memes in there, so most likely the LA Spanish scripts were not based on those.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:59 pm

gregoryluis09 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:28 pm What was the story with the Brazilian Portuguese scripts, and what were the chances the Latino dub took those instead of Funi's?
Brazilian scripts were translated directly from Japanese by Marcelo Del Greco, but he also added some stupid jokes and memes in there, so most likely the LA Spanish scripts were not based on those.
That and the fact that we rarely borrow material for dubbing from Brazil.

I recall one of the few times we did so was for the Digimon Data Squad dub where the Brazilian masters were used for the dubbing of three episodes.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 am

And you're saying the Funi scripts don't have stupid jokes and memes? As I said, it'll take months before the Funi dub reaches ep 121. I don't even know if Funi got that far translation wise. Could the script of Latino ep 121-131 be based off the Toei Latino subtitle scripts?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:45 am

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 am As I said, it'll take months before the Funi dub reaches ep 121. I don't even know if Funi got that far translation wise. Could the script of Latino ep 121-131 be based off the Toei Latino subtitle scripts?
I am pretty sure it did got that far. I mean, FUNi dubs episodes with months in advance, not weeks.

I recall when Toonami was about to start airing U6 arc, Schemmel commented he was recording an episode where Goku and Piccolo were in a cabagge competition and that happened in the Zamasu arc.

Considering the recording of the Latino dub of Super finished in August 2018, I guess the FUNi dub could have finished one or more months earlier.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:20 pm

You are mistaken. Funimation is only a handful of episodes ahead of the Toonami Broadcast.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:53 pm

The translation itself was did by Renata Leitão. Marcelo del Greco worked more like a script writer than a translator itself.

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 am
And you're saying the Funi scripts don't have stupid jokes and memes? As I said, it'll take months before the Funi dub reaches ep 121. I don't even know if Funi got that far translation wise. Could the script of Latino ep 121-131 be based off the Toei Latino subtitle scripts?
Both brazilian portuguese and Funimation english dubs are very meme'ish. The brazilian dub is still a bit more accurate in general, but had a lot of script changes too, and some of them were dumb. Thank god that did not happened in the Broly movie.

And about the latin american spanish dub, the last episodes were probably based in the english scripts sended by Toei, I suppose.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:51 pm

NO. FREAKING. WAY. (sorry for that)

https://doblaje.fandom.com/es/wiki/Drag ... id=2208922

Apparently Broly is getting a redub... made in Argentina :shock:

This was added by a reliable user who has connections with most studios and actors from Argentina.

If this is true, then Alejandro Graue's dream have come true! He always wanted to voice a DB character because he's a great fan of DB.

And Santiago Florentín is doing Goku in an official dub! (he previously voiced him in fandubs) For those who doesn't know, he can do a voice closer to Mario Castañeda's.

Edit: Oh gosh! It seems to be true!
https://doblaje.fandom.com/es/wiki/Drag ... id=2217793

Wait for more updates :D

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:22 am

I know I'm being totally butthurt. But you COULD have also posted this on the "Ways the Disney Deal will affect the Latin American dubs of the movie" Because I JUST KNOW this is Disney's doing!

Thanks for the heads up,though! You are awesome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:27 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:22 am I know I'm being totally butthurt. But you COULD have also posted this on the "Ways the Disney Deal will affect the Latin American dubs of the movie" Because I JUST KNOW this is Disney's doing!

Thanks for the heads up,though! You are awesome.
Not sure if it was Disney's doing because it was dubbed in Palmera Record and Disney records their Argentinian dubs in Non Stop Dubbing (formerly known as Media Pro Com).

Here's an update... the director and actors have no idea about how and when this dub will be released. In fact, they don't even know who asked for this dub to be made.

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:37 pm

This is very interesting news considering something like this hasn't happened before to my knowledge, with regional dubs being produced within Latin America.

Wasn't the movie released in Argentina a few months ago with other Latin american territories? That makes this decision even stranger, but hey, a new dub to add to the list is always fun!
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

EGonzo
Beyond Newbie

Post by EGonzo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 am

SaintEvolution wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:53 pm
The translation itself was did by Renata Leitão. Marcelo del Greco worked more like a script writer than a translator itself.

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:06 am
Both brazilian portuguese and Funimation english dubs are very meme'ish. The brazilian dub is still a bit more accurate in general, but had a lot of script changes too, and some of them were dumb. Thank god that did not happened in the Broly movie.

And about the latin american spanish dub, the last episodes were probably based in the english scripts sended by Toei, I suppose.
They were definitely based on English scripts, and were direct translations instead of adaptation that use common Spanish phrases. In 122 they use "carta del triunfo" (trump card), when "As bajo la manga" (ace up the sleeve) is the phrase used in Spanish The wording is really awkward in some parts, and only makes sense when you read them in English.
I'll try to get more examples later

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat May 18, 2019 11:33 pm

after time I watched the broly movie with latin dub
I was very surprised to hear the original voice of nappa ... :crazy:

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: LATIN AMERICAN DUB CONFIRMED (Brenda Nava Confirmed as translator!)

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:48 am

Tian wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm
SaintEvolution wrote:Any opinions on the Broly Movie dub?

* I'm pretty sure Nappa's VA (José Luis Castañeda) was really hard to get. They tried to get him for Kai and Super but they didn't have success.
Damn, that dude was everywhere. I remember he also voiced Principal Skinner in a lot of those early Simpsons episodes. Hearing he retired reminds me that it's been ages since I last lived in Mexico.