Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by Zephyr » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 pm

HeroR wrote:Like, I said the recruitment was rushed and made the manga feel like an abridged version of the anime, while I also said the anime dragged this part. Then I got people saying 'well this wasn't important anyway, so why not skip it'? Gohan getting back in shape after he was called rusty through most of the manga didn't even deserved a panel? Goku and Freeza talking and beating each other up wasn't worth showing at all because 'we get the details in a summery'.

I mean objectively speaking, that was rushed and Toyo seemed to went on the assumption of 'you saw this in the anime, I have nothing to add, so I will just skip this'. Which is fine if the manga is really just a supplemental to the anime, but terrible if it's own standalone.
I don't know, I've read the existing manga material for this arc a couple of times, and it's holding up on its own quite well. Toyotaro's take doesn't require any viewing of the anime to track, but rather simply the original manga. We didn't have to watch Dragon Ball Super episodes 84 through 95 to learn who characters like Krillin, Tenshinhan, Muten Roshi, Freeza, etc. are, and what they are like. There was this series that Super is a sequel to, that more than illustrates all of that, called Dragon Ball. That's the required reading that he has in mind.

Using the word "skip" in reference to a specific thing implies that it is inherent to the core of the narrative. The idea that the manga is "rushed" for not including everything from the anime implies that the anime's depiction isn't needlessly fluffy in the first place. You're convinced that the manga only works if you've already watched the anime, but all I'm reading from your post here is the opposite: that it isn't tracking for you because you're excessively fixated on the anime's take, and you can't seem to separate it from your analysis of the manga's take.

Gohan's learning to walk again, and Freeza's going to be a difficult teammate. Those are very simple things to be communicated, and they were communicated very succinctly. I don't see any reason to take issue with that, in and of itself. In fact, withholding details can often serve positive narrative purposes. For instance, not seeing all of how Freeza's recruitment went down gives room for the punchline of he and Goku showing up all beat up. Without having seen Gohan's training, it's unknown how he'll do. Did he just get back in shape, or did he improve even more? By not having seen the details of the training, I'm completely in the dark for what fruits might have been borne from it. There's an element of the unknown here, and that's exciting.

Now, if you're already committed to how Toei did it, I can see how it would seem rushed, because you're already used to having seen those plot points play out, and not seeing them play out that way is egregious to you. That's fine, you're entitled to prefer whichever take you want. But going on to call it "objectively rushed" is just silly, when its asserted rushedness seems to hinge on an abandonment of objectivity in the first place.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:26 am

HeroR wrote: I mean objectively speaking, that was rushed and Toyo seemed to went on the assumption of 'you saw this in the anime, I have nothing to add, so I will just skip this'. Which is fine if the manga is really just a supplemental to the anime, but terrible if it's own standalone.
Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t the original skipped most of training and all the transformation except the first times?
It's also untrue to say that the anime made promises, but didn't delivered of any. Like people keep saying that the anime lied about the importance of teamwork, despite us seeing teamwork used throughout the tournament from all universes. I mean, you can be upset that things didn't happened the way you thought or you thought the execution was poor, but saying the anime didn't deliver at all.
Whoever said that was clearly exaggerating that’s if someone said that.Most people I see complaining complain about execution take gohan’s leadership.There might be some guy that said but that’s one guy and there is no way to get everyone’s opinion.I regularly see a guy on Twitter complaining how toriyama turned a warrior princess like chi chi into a house wife,it has already been 30 years so he should change it.By that logic,everyone is angry since that guy said that.
But admittedly, I'm one of the few who never liked Toyo's art or style outside of a few panels.
Look at that well sculptured Butt:
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:42 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
HeroR wrote: I mean objectively speaking, that was rushed and Toyo seemed to went on the assumption of 'you saw this in the anime, I have nothing to add, so I will just skip this'. Which is fine if the manga is really just a supplemental to the anime, but terrible if it's own standalone.
Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t the original skipped most of training and all the transformation except the first times?
Yes. The original manga hardly ever shows the details of training, and skips over many transformation acquisitions. (All of them, in fact, except for Goku's Super Saiyan and Gohan's Super Saiyan 2.)

It also never dedicates chapters to one-and-done character spotlights meant to show episodically structured growth, which Toei's recruitment episodes are full of.

The pacing of the manga for this arc is very much in line with that of the original run, and what I and a lot of others argued could and should have been done by Toei even as the recruitment episodes were airing. We know why everyone but #17 and Freeza would be there; they're friends. It's nice to check in on Kuririn and #18 for a bit, and that's well-characterized, but otherwise we're good to go to make way for the story material that isn't a foregone conclusion.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:11 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=575s&v=L160Ml1NWlE
Here’s a video that can help to realize that a manga chapter can’t give us the amount of information that the anime does .
14 minutes takes to get manga content of a chapter , that usually contains around 2-3 anime episodes of 20 minutes .
For instance, manga cannot offer as much as anime does by far .
I'm not sure if that video is a good thing to attach here , in that case I apologize, here’s the legal way to read the manga:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapter/ ... 693?read=1
I just find that video well done and a good example to make understand people who complain manga lacking in some fighters developments that time is a reason for that .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:09 am

So with the tournament officially fledged into full gear, with the manga being two chapters in and the anime about to end, what do people think of the manga's adaptation thus far?

I have to say, I feel the manga does a better job at presenting the opening fights of the tournament and actually making the thing feel like a battle royale instead of a lot of individual one on ones by having the characters constantly changing up who they're matching up against, something I felt the anime on a whole didn't really do to well at.

Don't get me wrong though, the manga still has noticeable problems, the most noticeable among both chapters of the tournament being the complete lack of scale given to the ring. Toyotaro definitely has problems in making the ring feel at all large at points. A problem that has started to pop up in the second chapter of the TOP is panelling, nothings really flowing or transitioning as well as it was in the first. These are small things, but I definitely think they are things that genuinely do bring down Toyo's manga a peg from being something truly great.

As for the anime, though I do enjoy that we met the Trio De Dangers in advance, I have to say that they're fight with Goku felt needlessly repetitive and stretched out, and though I felt the elimination in the anime was at least serviceable, Freeza ruthlessly eliminating a universe is far more in character for him than say Goku and Vegeta.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:21 am

So,U9 had undetectable ki in anime while in manga they didn't use ki blasts.Wondering if that could be key point?
JazzMazz wrote:So with the tournament officially fledged into full gear, with the manga being two chapters in and the anime about to end, what do people think of the manga's adaptation thus far?

I have to say, I feel the manga does a better job at presenting the opening fights of the tournament and actually making the thing feel like a battle royale instead of a lot of individual one on ones by having the characters constantly changing up who they're matching up against, something I felt the anime on a whole didn't really do to well at.

Don't get me wrong though, the manga still has noticeable problems, the most noticeable among both chapters of the tournament being the complete lack of scale given to the ring. Toyotaro definitely has problems in making the ring feel at all large at points. A problem that has started to pop up in the second chapter of the TOP is panelling, nothings really flowing or transitioning as well as it was in the first. These are small things, but I definitely think they are things that genuinely do bring down Toyo's manga a peg from being something truly great.

As for the anime, though I do enjoy that we met the Trio De Dangers in advance, I have to say that they're fight with Goku felt needlessly repetitive and stretched out, and though I felt the elimination in the anime was at least serviceable, Freeza ruthlessly eliminating a universe is far more in character for him than say Goku and Vegeta.
True,but I am more worried about the next chapter he was in a tour in germany and now he has even less than days than the last month.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:28 am

Hawk9211 wrote:So,U9 had undetectable ki in anime while in manga they didn't use ki blasts.Wondering if that could be key point?
JazzMazz wrote:So with the tournament officially fledged into full gear, with the manga being two chapters in and the anime about to end, what do people think of the manga's adaptation thus far?

True,but I am more worried about the next chapter he was in a tour in germany and now he has even less than days than the last month.
Well, the Feburary chapter ended up being good and he even remarked how he was constrained during that month, so I don't think its impossible he can produce something as nice as the Februrary chapter again in April.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:34 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:So,U9 had undetectable ki in anime while in manga they didn't use ki blasts.Wondering if that could be key point?

Well, the Feburary chapter ended up being good and he even remarked how he was constrained during that month, so I don't think its impossible he can produce something as nice as the Februrary chapter again in April.
February didn't had a lot of fights ,did it?

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:38 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:

True, it was a bit more dialogue heavy, but the action that was there was well done, so maybe its just a matter of Toyo balancing between the fighting and dialogue scenes?

Who knows? Either way, I'm still anticipating something interesting.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 am

Based on these two chapters I feel the manga will be, on average, better than the anime. However, I doubt the manga will beat the highs of the anime(for me, episodes 103, 107, 109, 110, 116, 118, 121, 125, 130, possibly 131).

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:01 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote: Well, the Feburary chapter ended up being good and he even remarked how he was constrained during that month, so I don't think its impossible he can produce something as nice as the Februrary chapter again in April.
True, it was a bit more dialogue heavy, but the action that was there was well done, so maybe its just a matter of Toyo balancing between the fighting and dialogue scenes?

Who knows? Either way, I'm still anticipating something interesting.
i am not that worried about the content,more so about the art,fights and the panneling.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 am

Chapter 33 vs episode 97
The pacing of the battles is pretty great in both versions(the number of eliminations happening in both versions is great,within the range it should be) but anime gets the edge because of Basil(a non u6/u7 member) getting 1st blood and seeing more of other universes fighting and not making it a U7/U6 dominating from the get go.
Chapther 34 vs episode 98
Too many people are eliminated in both versions,the pacing is bad in both versions,in the manga it happened too fast(like 2 chapters of content squished into 1)and the anime dragged what should be half of an episode to a whole.
The manga edges it out the anime in terms of making it more chaotic.Also as far as non U9 focus go,the manga did a lot better since in the anime it was just Goku and Vegeta fighting U9.
The anime does U9's final stand a lot better both from a battle and character standpoint,so by default U9's erasure has way more weight to it in the anime.
While its more in character for Freeza to being the first U7 member to finish a universe,Goku had way more connection with the wolf Trio than Freeza,so its kinda 50-50 on this.
So far they are pretty even i say but what really brings this chapter down is all the other stuff.

Tien and Krillin being wasted,the problem is not them losing to Frost but them losing without contributing anything to the point you are thinking that they could have brought Videl and Monaka and nothing would change.
The plot is the tournament itself in this saga so by eliminating others the plot advances,they contributed way far more in the anime.
Krillin's spotlight episode was good,Tien's was bad but he still did much better in the anime.

Frost and Freeza alliance
Frost is way too stupid in the manga,it was too easy for Freeza to trick him and gain his trust while in the anime he had a Death beam ready till Freeza defeated Gohan and only by Freeza tempting him with teaching him how to access the Golden Form did Freeza truly earn his trust.
Freeza is also way smarter in the anime,as mentioned he managed to get Frost's trust in a smarter way without getting any of his teamates eliminated,both he and Gohan held back so they did not waste much stamina either.
And for what?For Frost to eliminate fodder?Freeza ringed out Frost much easier than Frost eliminated the fodder anyway.
At the least in the anime he eliminated him beause he found Gohan smarter and more usefull.
Frost eliminated more characters in the manga but he came close to eliminate Vegeta in the anime,so that depens on preference but personally i find him nearly ringing out Vegeta by tricking Roshi in a smart way more impressive than 1 shotting fodder.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:31 am

JazzMazz wrote:So with the tournament officially fledged into full gear, what do people think of the manga's adaptation thus far?
I think the way they handled U9 was better as we saw both Frost and Freeza get put to good use, something the anime didn't do with Frost and we're still waiting for Freeza to truly do something to justify his return.

The anime however did a better job with Tien and especially Krillin as they both did something before going out, even though who they took down weren't that important.

The manga has handled transformations better as they still have weight to them unlike in the anime.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 am

Whatever wrote:

Chapter 33 vs episode 97
The pacing of the battles is pretty great in both versions(the number of eliminations happening in both versions is great,within the range it should be) but anime gets the edge because of Basil(a non u6/u7 member) getting 1st blood and seeing more of other universes fighting and not making it a U7/U6 dominating from the get go.
I have to disagree with you about episode 97, it was an absolutely horrendous start to the tournament. None of the action felt at all connected, there was ridiculous amount of re-used animation, the storyboarding was pretty abysmal, and direction was equally as awful. For me and a lot of others, it was an absolutely horrendously dull way to begin the tournament. To its benefit though, it at least gave the arena some of scale which the manga has struggled to capture. Otherwise, the manga just thrashes it out and no, I don't think seeing someone I don't particularly care for like Basil kicking peoples asses is at all interesting, especially considering the actual direction for the fight just makes me completely unable to care about any of the conflicts in the episode.
Chapther 34 vs episode 98
Too many people are eliminated in both versions,the pacing is bad in both versions,in the manga it happened too fast(like 2 chapters of content squished into 1)and the anime dragged what should be half of an episode to a whole.
The manga edges it out the anime in terms of making it more chaotic.Also as far as non U9 focus go,the manga did a lot better since in the anime it was just Goku and Vegeta fighting U9.
The anime does U9's final stand a lot better both from a battle and character standpoint,so by default U9's erasure has way more weight to it in the anime.
While its more in character for Freeza to being the first U7 member to finish a universe,Goku had way more connection with the wolf Trio than Freeza,so its kinda 50-50 on this.
So far they are pretty even i say but what really brings this chapter down is all the other stuff.
The pacing is certainly far more uneven in the anime than it is in the manga. The manga sets a constant speed of people getting eliminated, even going as far to have fighters from other universes being defeated off panel, the anime on the hand, really doesn't have that benefit, so being literally the only episode in the tournament to have 10 competitors knocked out at once, is definitely extremely jarring, especially since they make it clear that this only takes place within the first five minutes of the tournament.
Tien and Krillin being wasted,the problem is not them losing to Frost but them losing without contributing anything to the point you are thinking that they could have brought Videl and Monaka and nothing would change.
The plot is the tournament itself in this saga so by eliminating others the plot advances,they contributed way far more in the anime.
Krillin's spotlight episode was good,Tien's was bad but he still did much better in the anime.
Maybe in the anime defeating opponents is a clear progression of the plot, but the manga has shown that it doesn't really care about the eliminations of useless competitors, with character being eliminated off-panel. My question to you is, should the screen panel devoted to these characters have been greater than their overall importance or participation in the story? I would say no, especially for the manga, which has less time and space to tell a fulfilling narrative, so having characters whose inevitable contributions are negligible to the main plot isn't necessary the best idea, especially if its distracting from something more interesting. With that said, I don't necessarily agree with how suddenly they were both swept under the rug, I would have at least preferred to see them just stick around and fight for a bit instead of being ceremoniously eliminated, which isn't ideal.
Frost and Freeza alliance
Frost is way too stupid in the manga,it was too easy for Freeza to trick him and gain his trust while in the anime he had a Death beam ready till Freeza defeated Gohan and only by Freeza tempting him with teaching him how to access the Golden Form did Freeza truly earn his trust.
Freeza is also way smarter in the anime,as mentioned he managed to get Frost's trust in a smarter way without getting any of his teamates eliminated,both he and Gohan held back so they did not waste much stamina either.
And for what?For Frost to eliminate fodder?Freeza ringed out Frost much easier than Frost eliminated the fodder anyway.
At the least in the anime he eliminated him beause he found Gohan smarter and more usefull.
Frost eliminated more characters in the manga but he came close to eliminate Vegeta in the anime,so that depens on preference but personally i find him nearly ringing out Vegeta by tricking Roshi in a smart way more impressive than 1 shotting fodder.
Contrary to this, I actually find Frost in the anime to be the more stupid of the two, because they actually bothered to establish his creativity,manipulativeness, cunningness and lethality in the stellar 107. In the anime, we never really get any of that from Frost, and while it does diminish his character in my opinion, it certainly makes far more sense for Frost to be duped by Freeza, who is shown to be extremely charismatic in the manga, in comparison to his anime counter-part, where he was just psychotic.
Freeza plan in the anime, is also extremely convoluted, and the most offensive thing about it, is that there really isn't a clear point to all this scheming besides eliminating a single fighter, who would pose no trouble for him what-so-ever.

In the manga, you can at least rationalize why Freeza is going to such lengths. Tien and Kuririn are complete lightweights and are also completely expendable in the grand scheme of things, at one point or another, they are bound to be fodderized by a stronger warrior. They were negligible losses, considering the amount of damage he was able to inflict on other universes by earning Frosts trust far outweighs what they themselves could as fighters. Also, though Freeza is indeed far more powerful than Frost, they actually make a good point that facing decently powerful warriors in quick succession can still be extremely tiring, so facing Frost, a decently powerful warrior that would cost some stamina to beat, especially this early on where the field still has lots of top-guns like Hit, Jiren, Toppo and Dypso, isn't a particularly good idea. Freeza actually bothers to show some ingenuity by manipulating Frost into being his battering ram in defeating the warriors of the 9th universe, with him doing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible, and being completely spent, that was perfect opportunity to knock him out. In contrast, Freeza's is far more convoluted and situational, and his convincing of Frost that his all fine and dandy particularly convincing, especially since Freeza doesn't make it explicitly clear that he just wants revenge on the Saiyans like he does in the anime.

In other words, Freeza's in the manga actually falls far better into Freeza's manipulative and charismatic personality, while also demonstrating an extremely practical side to him. In the anime, its just a really convoluted plan that's end goal really isn't worth all the effort.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:42 am

The manga's beginning of the Tournament Of Power feels a bit more chaotic and battle royal-like than that of the anime, but that's all it really has going for it. The handling of Universe 9 (with their characterization, how they fought and were erased), the Freeza/Frost subplot and Krillin and Tien treatment felt all much more sloppier in execution in the manga.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:16 am

This I actually have to disagree with. To my knowledge we do not have a hard estimate except that it's several miles across. This is relatively small given that every character we've seen should be capable of taking out an entire city if they are at least Nappa level. Even Roshi should be about to take out an entire square mile on his own. Further we have 80 characters so it seems large enough to not have seen Goku or Vegeta or Caulifa or Jiren in the background and for Goku not to realize Krillin had been eliminated. Without real measurements it's impossible to say what it should be but the ring always felt too small from the start which also gives it its chaotic nature.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:18 am

JazzMazz wrote:
I have to disagree with you about episode 97, it was an absolutely horrendous start to the tournament. None of the action felt at all connected, there was ridiculous amount of re-used animation, the storyboarding was pretty abysmal, and direction was equally as awful. For me and a lot of others, it was an absolutely horrendously dull way to begin the tournament. To its benefit though, it at least gave the arena some of scale which the manga has struggled to capture. Otherwise, the manga just thrashes it out and no, I don't think seeing someone I don't particularly care for like Basil kicking peoples asses is at all interesting, especially considering the actual direction for the fight just makes me completely unable to care about any of the conflicts in the episode.
While i agree with those criticisms on the episode,what this episode did despite those problems is managing to capture the feeling of a battle royale really well.
Chaos,lots of battles(it even had Hit and Basil tag teaming the Narirama who went on the offense) and skirimishes happening on screen and most importantly make it feel balanced on the eliminations which made it a non U7/U6 wanking fest(sadly that stops after the first episode).
You may not care about Basil and thats understandable but Basil on this episode had a role and action of what people were expecting from a battle royale of this scale.
Maybe in the anime defeating opponents is a clear progression of the plot, but the manga has shown that it doesn't really care about the eliminations of useless competitors, with character being eliminated off-panel. My question to you is, should the screen panel devoted to these characters have been greater than their overall importance or participation in the story? I would say no, especially for the manga, which has less time and space to tell a fulfilling narrative, so having characters whose inevitable contributions are negligible to the main plot isn't necessary the best idea, especially if its distracting from something more interesting. With that said, I don't necessarily agree with how suddenly they were both swept under the rug, I would have at least preferred to see them just stick around and fight for a bit instead of being ceremoniously eliminated, which isn't ideal.
Their importance in the story depens on the writer,if Krillin/Tien does not ring out anyone or assist their teamates then yeah they are useless competitors,we already wasted more than enough screen panel for Frost who only defeated fodders only get ringed out like a fodder as well,so clearly screen time is not the issue here but rather the apathy of using the humans.

The advantage of a battle royale like this is that you have characters of different tiers of strength and due to the chaos of a setting like this you can have the main cast fight people in their league and have them contribute to the plot of the tournament,which again is eliminating others.

If in a setting like this,the main cast still manages to have no bearing to the plot,then yes the writer is using the characters wrong and thats a bad thing itself,using the excuse 'we need to rush the fodder battles' is just an excuse for writer's shortcomings since even Yamcha vs Saibamen of all things had a proper battle.
Also lets not forget the point is the battles,1 shotting people is not much of an one and is not interesting to see.
Let me ask you this,would it really hurt for Tien and Krillin to eliminate a few of the fodder Frost eliminated?
No extra screen panel needed,Frost is still fodder to Freeza regardless of how much stamina he wastes 1 shotting characters who are fodder to him.
Contrary to this, I actually find Frost in the anime to be the more stupid of the two, because they actually bothered to establish his creativity,manipulativeness, cunningness and lethality in the stellar 107. In the anime, we never really get any of that from Frost, and while it does diminish his character in my opinion, it certainly makes far more sense for Frost to be duped by Freeza, who is shown to be extremely charismatic in the manga, in comparison to his anime counter-part, where he was just psychotic.
Freeza plan in the anime, is also extremely convoluted, and the most offensive thing about it, is that there really isn't a clear point to all this scheming besides eliminating a single fighter, who would pose no trouble for him what-so-ever.
Freeza went as far as personally attacking his own teamate and even tempted Frost with a new power up,in the anime they made it logical how Frost fell for it without making him too much of an idiot.
Same for Freeza since he eliminated Frost with just as much ease as his manga counterpart and without sacrificing his own teamates while still following his own agenda.
Gohan proved himself smarter and more usefull than Frost so Freeza choosed Gohan.
In the manga, you can at least rationalize why Freeza is going to such lengths. Tien and Kuririn are complete lightweights and are also completely expendable in the grand scheme of things, at one point or another, they are bound to be fodderized by a stronger warrior. They were negligible losses, considering the amount of damage he was able to inflict on other universes by earning Frosts trust far outweighs what they themselves could as fighters. Also, though Freeza is indeed far more powerful than Frost, they actually make a good point that facing decently powerful warriors in quick succession can still be extremely tiring, so facing Frost, a decently powerful warrior that would cost some stamina to beat, especially this early on where the field still has lots of top-guns like Hit, Jiren, Toppo and Dypso, isn't a particularly good idea. Freeza actually bothers to show some ingenuity by manipulating Frost into being his battering ram in defeating the warriors of the 9th universe, with him doing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible, and being completely spent, that was perfect opportunity to knock him out. In contrast, Freeza's is far more convoluted and situational, and his convincing of Frost that his all fine and dandy particularly convincing, especially since Freeza doesn't make it explicitly clear that he just wants revenge on the Saiyans like he does in the anime.
Tien and Kuririn are lightweights and expendable but so are the U9 warriors Frost eliminated,you would make a point if Frost eliminated someone worthwhile or even if he was someone worthwhile himself or heck even if Tien and Krillin were at their last legs(meaning they could not contribute anymore)at the very least.
But no both the U9 members and Frost himself are fodder to Freeza.
This is a numbers game and Freeza was willing to sacrifice 3 members of his team(close to 1/3 of it)to eliminate a team that never posed any threat to him.
In the anime he contributed to his team without every slowing it or hindering it in any way.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:19 am

Tien and Kuririn are lightweights and expendable but so are the U9 warriors Frost eliminated,you would make a point if Frost eliminated someone worthwhile or even if he was someone worthwhile himself or heck even if Tien and Krillin were at their last legs(meaning they could not contribute anymore)at the very least.
This is a numbers game and Freeza was willing to sacrifice 3 members of his team(close to 1/3 of it)to eliminate a team that never posed any threat to him.
In the anime he contributed to his team without every slowing it or hindering it in any way.
True, but I think the argument was that they were going to get eliminated pretty quickly either way without many eliminations.

I've totaled up the anime version of things and generously applied assists and overlaps.

viewtopic.php?t=39114

Krillin 3
Roshi 5
Tien 2

Total 10 = anime eliminations (Technically 8 people due to overlap)

If we count universe 9 + Frost as part of Frieza's plan manga has:
11 eliminations, a fresh Frieza, Gohan, & Piccolo
And Roshi, so only 2 losses so far.

So to recap.
3 characters got 10 eliminations/assists (Technically only 8 people due to overlap)
vs.
2 characters got 11 eliminations/assists

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:35 am

TheMikado wrote:
True, but I think the argument was that they were going to get eliminated pretty quickly either way without many eliminations.

I've totaled up the anime version of things and generously applied assists and overlaps.

viewtopic.php?t=39114

Krillin 3
Roshi 5
Tien 2

Total 10 = anime eliminations (Technically 8 people due to overlap)

If we count universe 9 + Frost as part of Frieza's plan manga has:
11 eliminations, a fresh Frieza, Gohan, & Piccolo
And Roshi, so only 2 losses so far.

So to recap.
3 characters got 10 eliminations/assists (Technically only 8 people due to overlap)
vs.
2 characters got 11 eliminations/assists
I think the point Whatever is trying to make is that Krillin and Tenshinhan didn't need to get eliminated, especially so early in the tournament, for Freeza's plan to work as all it does is unnecessarily hinder the chances of Universe 7 winning.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:39 am

I love the pacing of the manga compared to the anime, it is nice and you feel more chaos of the battle royal. All I wish was that Krillin and Tien at least got an elimination/assist each. Although despite that, I do like how Frost and Freeza interacted more, you got more sense of them collaborating compared to the anime. Sure Freeza still betrays him but it felt nice them interacting more.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy