Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mfwlegend3
Regular

Re: Super's Manga vs Super's Anime Discussion

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:32 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:So you are saying Toriyama is contadicting himself.
He's always been closer to the manga. For the anime, all he does is send Toei the draft and they do what they will with it. Toriyama doesn't even know the finished product when it comes to Toei. For the manga, he adds dialogue, sometimes sketches entire pages (though the only time we've seen this was the U6 anthem gag), and over all supervises it.
Toriyama wrote:Like last time, I write an outline of the entire plot, then the script writers break it up into episodes, expanding on things, changing things around, or adding in new bits as need be.

Even I haven’t checked the final script yet.

Let’s enjoy this together (laughs)!!
Toriyama encourages Toyotaro to do his own thing instead of simply drawing out what Toriyama wants.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Shinda Forever wrote:Dragon ball super manga: Akira Toriyama writes plot outlines which Toyotarō uses as a basis for the stories and Toriyama personally helps put the manga together. Toyotarō creates the dialogue and illustrations, expanding, adding, and changing elements from Toriyama's plan as he deems appropriate. Akira Toriyama believes Toyotarō's freedom to change the story makes the final product better.
That's my point, Toriyama used to say "Goku won't use Super Saiyan 2 or 3 or God!" and then what happens? He fucking writes it for the outlines that form the basis of the anime & manga that he uses 2 and 3 again! And he approved the return of God!

Remember how God Goku was a 6 to Beerus' 10? Good luck and God fucking speed trying to make THAT work with anything from Super.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Super Saiyan Ikari and Genki Sword
Once again, no way Toyotaro has the balls to do something daring like this.
I don't even know if FT Trunks is the main character of his own arc in the manga. He doesn't do anything impressive. Oh yeah he does the Taiyoken... He says Gohan was the one who taught him, even though Gohan never used Taiyoken. Why would his Master teach him something that he never used in the first place?! Toyotaro-kun?! Toyotaro-kun???!
The anime's idea of having Trunks do stuff is better than the manga but the way they fantastically fail on every conceivable level to prevent the audience from wanting to bash their faces against a chainsaw in regards to how these powers ups work and how Trunks gets theme is where I have to pick the lesser of two evils here.

I'd rather take Trunks doing nothing like he does in the Cell arc then doing stuff that makes me smack someone in the face.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:34 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:I'd rather take Trunks doing nothing like he does in the Cell arc then doing stuff that makes me smack someone in the face.
This. Trunks' intervention in something that clearly was out of his league just for the sake of giving him a time to shine really made me hate his character in the anime.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:35 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Shinda Forever wrote:Dragon ball super manga: Akira Toriyama writes plot outlines which Toyotarō uses as a basis for the stories and Toriyama personally helps put the manga together. Toyotarō creates the dialogue and illustrations, expanding, adding, and changing elements from Toriyama's plan as he deems appropriate. Akira Toriyama believes Toyotarō's freedom to change the story makes the final product better.
That's my point, Toriyama used to say "Goku won't use Super Saiyan 2 or 3 or God!" and then what happens? He fucking writes it for the outlines that form the basis of the anime & manga that he uses 2 and 3 again! And he approved the return of God!

Remember how God Goku was a 6 to Beerus' 10? Good luck and God fucking speed trying to make THAT work with anything from Super.
FortuneSSJ wrote: Super Saiyan Ikari and Genki Sword
Once again, no way Toyotaro has the balls to do something daring like this.
I don't even know if FT Trunks is the main character of his own arc in the manga. He doesn't do anything impressive. Oh yeah he does the Taiyoken... He says Gohan was the one who taught him, even though Gohan never used Taiyoken. Why would his Master teach him something that he never used in the first place?! Toyotaro-kun?! Toyotaro-kun???!
The anime's idea of having Trunks do stuff is better than the manga but the way they fantastically fail on every conceivable level to prevent the audience from wanting to bash their faces against a chainsaw in regards to how these powers ups work and how Trunks gets theme is where I have to pick the lesser of two evils here.

I'd rather take Trunks doing nothing like he does in the Cell arc then doing stuff that makes me smack someone in the face.
You know the sad part is,a genkidama sword would have been a better ending than what we got, because the ending contradicted everything
Mostly active on discord.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:36 pm

I think they suffer the most from not being able to properly execute Toriyama's ideas. Toyotaro plays it too safe, producing a very lackluster and unimpressive project, Toei has profit and marketing in mind, so they ignore consistency and logic. And some of Toriyama's ideas are just terrible, too. Super is just a mess.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:37 pm

I think what some people forget, though, is that just because something is closer to Toriyama's vision, it doesn't mean it's going to be good. Look at Minus and the reception it got from most of the fandom. People, including myself, prefer the TV special made by Toei over Toriyama's version.
Last edited by mfwlegend3 on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:37 pm

Doctor. wrote:The anime has a lot more downsides, but the manga is more offensive because Toyotaro is such a terrible writer that he sucks the soul and personality out of everything in his manga. It's all so safe, all so generic. And when it gets dumb, it's really dumb.
Pretty much how I feel. Anime frequently has more problems, but at the same time it has more high points than the manga for me. while the manga is more safe, generic and boring to me.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:39 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:I'd rather take Trunks doing nothing like he does in the Cell arc then doing stuff that makes me smack someone in the face.
This. Trunks' intervention in something that clearly was out of his league just for the sake of giving him a time to shine really made me hate his character in the anime.
I'm on the other side of the spectrum. FT Trunks become of one my favourite characters in DBS, because of moments like that.
The only thing I would change would be Goku doing the Mafuba instead of him. I love and would keep everything else.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:I think they suffer the most from not being able to properly execute Toriyama's ideas. Toyotaro plays it too safe, producing a very lackluster and unimpressive project, Toei has profit and marketing in mind, so they ignore consistency and logic. And some of Toriyama's ideas are just terrible, too. Super is just a mess.
Toriyama add a goku is 10 time stronger than Vegeta,ruins the Powerscale. And can we all agree​ the spirit lightsaber serve development for trunks,I know not everyone will agree with me :cry: ,it would have been a good ending despite being stupid and kinds cheesy,it would have been good closure for his character
Last edited by The gr on Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:41 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:
I'm on the other side of the spectrum. FT Trunks become of one my favourite characters in DBS, because of moments like that.
The only thing I would change would be Goku doing the Mafuba instead of him. I love and would keep everything else.
I would be fine with these power-ups if they were earned but they're not. There's literally no good reason for Trunks to suddenly get rage boosts, least of all a new form and there's even less for him to know the effing Spirit Bomb, a technique he's never, ever seen before but somehow creates in a form apparently created by profound rage and anger.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:42 pm

I still want to know how you subconsciously take the energy from the world around you and preform an attack that you had no idea even existed.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:I still want to know how you subconsciously take the energy from the world around you and preform an attack that you had no idea even existed.
Well that is call a deux eux machina or an asspull

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:44 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: I'd rather take Trunks doing nothing like he does in the Cell arc then doing stuff that makes me smack someone in the face.
Beautifully said, since I smacked my keyboard when Trunks did the finishing blow against Merged Zamasu, well actually I was already pissed when he stepped up after Vegito defused.
Not to mention Goku's supposed moment, we barely see the guy get pissed, it was supposed to be his episode and his ass kicking time, but no, Goku got his ass almost killed and Trunks completely stole the show with him going Super Saiyan LoL Rage.... thats enough for my rant.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:This. Trunks' intervention in something that clearly was out of his league just for the sake of giving him a time to shine really made me hate his character in the anime.
I would be fine with these power-ups if they were earned but they're not. There's literally no good reason for Trunks to suddenly get rage boosts, least of all a new form and there's even less for him to know the effing Spirit Bomb, a technique he's never, ever seen before but somehow creates in a form apparently created by profound rage and anger.
I mean, I hate the concept of rage boosts, don't get me wrong, but I always found it stupid that Gohan's the only one who got them. The explanation they gave was that he had so much potential because he was a hybrid and the rage boosts were a form to bring that potential out. So why the hell don't other hybrids get rage boosts too? Makes much more sense that Trunks got them than Vegeta's rage form or Goku's asspull in #61.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Funny enough, Anime Future Trunks is my most hated character in the franchise, while Manga Future Trunks remains in my top 10.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote: I'm on the other side of the spectrum. FT Trunks become of one my favourite characters in DBS, because of moments like that.
I mean, I hate the concept of rage boosts, don't get me wrong, but I always found it stupid that Gohan's the only one who got them. The explanation they gave was that he had so much potential because he was a hybrid and the rage boosts were a form to bring that potential out. So why the hell don't other hybrids get rage boosts too? Makes much more sense that Trunks got them than Vegeta's rage form or Goku's asspull in #61.
I don't see how Trunks wouldn't be able to kill the Androids if he got rage boosts. Unless 17 and 18 are hundreds of times stronger than his Super Saiyan self, Trunks' getting anything close to Gohan's rage boosts should've let him kill one or both of them at literally any point during the many years he fought them.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:50 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I would be fine with these power-ups if they were earned but they're not. There's literally no good reason for Trunks to suddenly get rage boosts, least of all a new form and there's even less for him to know the effing Spirit Bomb, a technique he's never, ever seen before but somehow creates in a form apparently created by profound rage and anger.
I don't see how Trunks wouldn't be able to kill the Androids if he got rage boosts. Unless 17 and 18 are hundreds of times stronger than his Super Saiyan self, Trunks' getting anything close to Gohan's rage boosts should've let him kill one or both of them at literally any point during the many years he fought them.
I agree that it's too late now to give him a rage boost, I'm saying how it never made sense in the original series that only Gohan pulled those powers out of his ass.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:50 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: I would be fine with these power-ups if they were earned but they're not. There's literally no good reason for Trunks to suddenly get rage boosts, least of all a new form and there's even less for him to know the effing Spirit Bomb, a technique he's never, ever seen before but somehow creates in a form apparently created by profound rage and anger.
If any Saiyan deserves rage boosts is FT Trunks, after everything he went through. The PTSD he had in beginning when he saw Goku showed how much his psychological state was affected.

And he didn't learn Genkidama. Everyone just subconsciously gave their ki to him. He didn't ask for anything and none of them knew what was happening.
The only ones that knew what was happening and deliberately gave their ki to him were Goku and Vegeta.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:54 pm

Doctor. wrote:I agree that it's too late now to give him a rage boost, I'm saying how it never made sense in the original series that only Gohan pulled those powers out of his ass.
I'm not gonna be a parrot and say Future Trunks' entire existence & timeline is bullshit that exists solely thanks to contrivances to keep on spinning but it totally is
FortuneSSJ wrote:
If any Saiyan deserves rage boosts is FT Trunks, after everything he went through. The PTSD he had in beginning when he saw Goku shows how much his psychological state was affected.
And he didn't learn Genkidama. Everyone just subconsciously gave their ki to him. None of them knew what was happening.
The only ones that knew what was happening and deliberately gave their ki were Goku and Vegeta.
As I told Doctor, you ain't gonna make me buy Trunks getting rage boosts and him not being able to combine that vast power and FAIL to kill the Androids, fuck, I don't believe Gohan wouldn't be able to pull it off first, much less Trunks.

And I don't care if everyone started shouting at Trunks as some suboncious Genki giving device: the Spirit Bomb is a technique like the Mafuba & Kaio-Ken that you have to learn, you can't just look at it and then copy it the way you can the Kamehameha or its many copies across the franchise. Fuck, Vegeta randomly pulling out KK with Blue would be much less.... random than what Trunks does in the finale of the Black arc.

If you can accept it, sure, enjoy, me? After seeing that shit I wanted everyone involved with the writing process of Super deported to the sun yesterday.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:56 pm

Both manga and anime are flawed as fuck.
Manga makes guy like hit, black and zamasu look weak while in the anime makes them intimidating,intresting and back up there hype.
While trunks asspull aren't there in the manga which is a plus sadly its makes him and mai look useless in there own arc.