"Dragon Ball Super" Brazilian Portuguese Dub

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Brazilian Portuguese Dub

Post by gregoryluis09 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:28 pm

Noah wrote:So what episode are we now?
Today aired episode 101.
Noah wrote:DBS Movie: Broly - Trailer #2 (dubbed)

Is Paragus and Cold voices the same on the local dub?
No, in this trailer Paragus was voiced by Luiz Carlos de Moraes and King Cold was voiced by Antônio Moreno.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:38 am

Did they really make Roshi mention Broly? The translator really screwed it up there.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:58 am

Tian wrote:Did they really make Roshi mention Broly? The translator really screwed it up there.
Roshi did say Broly! :o
Unless, this was a Brazilian word and we don't know it...

BTW, when it comes to mistakes, did this dub refer to Zeno as Sr. Kaioh (King Kai) in episode 67?
https://youtu.be/1fg3aMm12hg?t=37

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Tian wrote:Did they really make Roshi mention Broly? The translator really screwed it up there.
Yup. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m42ZcPgTbsU
Roshi said literally "we've being separated when that saiyan girl went a Broly look-alike and destroyed everything", after Gohan asked Roshi and Tienshinhan where the Universe 7 members were.

The translation for Super in the brazilian has being pretty good and consistent in general, but that line was terrible. I don't know why they did that.
Possibly they wanted to make a reference to the praise the fandom, but it was a very bad one to choice for obvious reasons.
TheRed259 wrote:
Roshi did say Broly! :o
Unless, this was a Brazilian word and we don't know it...

BTW, when it comes to mistakes, did this dub refer to Zeno as Sr. Kaioh (King Kai) in episode 67?
https://youtu.be/1fg3aMm12hg?t=37
Yes, it happened too. But different of the Broly mention, this was probably an error that just passed away by the quality control. Also, it was the only other big script mistake the dub commited that I remember until now.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:38 pm

Man, I was about to get to this thread wondering if that was just rumour, but it's confirmed to be a gross error... I mean, why the f*** do that? Also someone could say what was Roshi original line to compare to it?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Noah wrote:Man, I was about to get to this thread wondering if that was just rumour, but it's confirmed to be a gross error... I mean, why the f*** do that? Also someone could say what was Roshi original line to compare to it?
The original was something like this:
"We separated when that saiyan girl got out of control".

And if you want to compare with the Latino dub, it was adapted as "Nos tuvimos que separar cuando esa chica saiyajin empezó a atacar a diestra y siniestra" (We had to separate when that saiyan girl started to attack in all directions)

Gafonso6
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Gafonso6 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:58 am

TheRed259 wrote:I also noticed that they used the original Japanese screams in this scene. I guess that's because Freeza's VA is old and can't scream that much anymore...?
Not only there but also in this scene when Kale transforms for the first time. They go from dubbed screams, to the original japanese screams and back to dubbed screams again when Kale starts attacking Cabba. Pretty weird... If I remember correctly the brazilian dub never did that before or did it?
I'm just a DB fan that's in the grey area that exists between an Hardcore Fanboy and a Casual :P

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:48 pm

You know this is something I expect the Catalan dub to do, not the Brazilian one. I did hear something about in the Brazilian dub of Kai they would keep the English screams.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 pm

This isn't really something new. In fact, they do this since DBZ.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:This isn't really something new. In fact, they do this since DBZ.
Actually in the DBZ dub they only did that for few times in the Cell Saga. And were only few times. Not something common in the dub.
DB_Fan1991 wrote:You know this is something I expect the Catalan dub to do, not the Brazilian one. I did hear something about in the Brazilian dub of Kai they would keep the English screams.
Yeah, they did it in Kai 1.0 and was pretty worse than Super case. It was a catalan/french dub-level of non-dubbing screams. You could hear Sean Schemmel, Chris Ayres, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Dameon Clarke and other english dub actors all the time in battle scenes.
But, BKS, the studio that dubbed Kai 1.0, different of Álamo, Sigma or Unidub is a pretty cheap studio and luckly Toei doesn't work with them anymore for Dragon Ball projects.
Gafonso6 wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:I also noticed that they used the original Japanese screams in this scene. I guess that's because Freeza's VA is old and can't scream that much anymore...?
Not only there but also in this scene when Kale transforms for the first time. They go from dubbed screams, to the original japanese screams and back to dubbed screams again when Kale starts attacking Cabba. Pretty weird... If I remember correctly the brazilian dub never did that before or did it?
Yeah, it did, but a just a few times.

In Super, they didn't dubbed screams before in some ocasions:

- When Vegeta punchs Frieza in the Golden Frieza arc
- When Trunks slices Dabura in the flashbacks from episode 49
- When possessed Roshi fought Tien in episode 87

And then Kale transformed into Super Saiyan for first time, and when Frieza screamed before controlled U9's Hakai.

Some of the non-dubbed screams in Super dub reminds me the german dub, that did that sometimes but for artistical pickings and not cheapness as the old French dub for example. In the episode 78 of the original german dub, they didn't dubbed Frieza's screams when he transformed into the 2nd form and they did that because Ryusei Nakao's screaming in that scene was pretty good to be reached.
That can be applied to Yukana's scream when Kale transforms. That scream was pretty good, even if Samira Fernandes (Kale's brazilian VA) is actually good enough to scream too, but they just seemed to prefer to not dub it.

But in the current episodes they are dubbed all the screams. I don't remember an undubbed scream after the episode 96. Even Magetta, who was not dubbed before when he appeared in the U6 tournment (they just lefted Naoki Tatsuta's "ch-ppo" grunts) got a voice actor now in the ToP episodes.
Is a possibility. Carlos Campanile is in his 80's and maybe they want to preserve his vocal chords. That scene is pretty intense also, and if you are not in your prime, is probably very difficult to reach Ryusei Nakao's powerful performance in that moment.
But probably they will dub all of Frieza's screams in ToP, as they are doing now with all other characters.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Also, they inserted a Sailor Moon reference in episode 102: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38yqSKjCLOE

Vegeta referenced the "in the name of the moon" quote, after he attacks Ribrianne.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 pm

You shouldnt double post my friend. Also call me crazy but I LIKE That joke.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:44 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:You shouldnt double post my friend. Also call me crazy but I LIKE That joke.
I just wanted to give some spotlight to the Sailor Moon reference. Because of that I did the double post.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Cartoon Network aired episode 105, but they censored the moment when Caway tried to seduce Roshi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcn-CbhTvk

Also, Roshi used the word "peitcholas" that means "boobs" in portuguese when he woke up after Goku revived him: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFlfTk-WELs
And I was surprised after that because is not the kinda of word they usually use in channels like Cartoon Network, since "Peitcholas" sounds somehow vulgar in portuguese. I'm more surprised they aired it than I would be if they had censored it.

And when Quitela and Beerus discussed about the Tournment's rules, they added a line with Quitela saying "chama o VAR", in a reference to the Video Referees used in the most recent World Cup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4-JJrwHTA

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:20 am

SaintEvolution wrote: And when Quitela and Beerus discussed about the Tournment's rules, they added a line with Quitela saying "chama o VAR", in a reference to the Video Referees used in the most recent World Cup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF4-JJrwHTA
That was good :lol: :clap:
It reminds me of some guy in a website that treated the ToP as a football world cup.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:58 pm

When is the Brazilian dub of Super Broly premiering in Brazil?
SaintEvolution wrote:y usually use in channels like Cartoon Network, since "Peitcholas" sounds somehow vulgar in portuguese. I'm more surprised they aired it than I would be if they had censored it.
Well, Brazilian-Portuguese. If you said "peitcholas" to Portuguese folks they'd have no idea what you're referring to.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:53 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:When is the Brazilian dub of Super Broly premiering in Brazil?
It will be premiered in 19th january, if I'm not wrong.

Acetona
Beyond Newbie

Post by Acetona » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:04 am

SaintEvolution wrote:Also, they inserted a Sailor Moon reference in episode 102: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38yqSKjCLOE

Vegeta referenced the "in the name of the moon" quote, after he attacks Ribrianne.
And that's beyond stupid, since Ribrianne is Precure-like in every way, there isn't any Sailor Moon trait on her. But yeah, the dub is full of non-sense jokes at this point, whatever.
キミもテイマーをめざせ!

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:44 pm

Acetona wrote:the dub is full of non-sense jokes at this point, whatever.
The Brazilian Portuguese dub is full of non-sense jokes? Damn, I thought that was mainly concerning the Portugal Portuguese dub.
SaintEvolution wrote:It was a catalan/french dub-level of non-dubbing screams.
Does the French dub starting with kai have the same issue of not dubbing screams? What about the catalan dub starting with kai? Did the galacian dub and the Spain Spainish dub have the same problem and has it also been fixed starting with Kai?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.