Why do they suddenly refer to them still as "androids"?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

Why do they suddenly refer to them still as "androids"?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:13 pm

As i recall, after Cell was defeated by Gohan, Krillin wished for the Androids' inbuilt components(for lack of a better word) to be removed, hence making them human again.

Or was that Anime-only? (Filler)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why do they suddenly refer to them still as "androids"?

Post by batistabus » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Shenlong was unable to restore their human bodies, but he was able to remove their bombs.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:28 pm

batistabus wrote:Shenlong was unable to restore their human bodies, but he was able to remove their bombs.
You're talking about the Manga i presume? Because in the anime he really did remove their in-built android components.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:32 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
batistabus wrote:Shenlong was unable to restore their human bodies, but he was able to remove their bombs.
You're talking about the Manga i presume? Because in the anime he really did remove their in-built android components.
No he didnt.
https://youtu.be/uc4snGT6pJ4?t=49

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:37 pm

DHM211 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
No he didnt.
Fair enough.

Anyways, great to know it isn't the case. So this way, the Androids have always retained their "infinite-stamina".

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:44 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: You're talking about the Manga i presume? Because in the anime he really did remove their in-built android components.
No he didnt.
Fair enough.

Anyways, great to know it isn't the case. So this way, the Androids have always retained their "infinite-stamina".
I don't think its ever stated but I would assume so.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Really most umbrella terms used form them (Android, Cyborg, Artificial Human etc) are not accurate at describing them all.

Generally the terms have been used interchangeably but....

Cyborgs tend to be a person whose physical abilities are extended beyond normal human limitations by mechanical elements built into the body.

Androids are robots built in the shape of a person.

As a result Android is actually the best term for #8, #14, #15, #16 and #19 as they all fit this description. As far as we know #13 is also in this category.

#20/Gero is the only true Cyborg out of the bunch as he was organic and had his brain put in a metal shell.

#17 and #18 are the real stand outs. Since there upgrades are apparently organic in nature and they were normal humans to begin with they cannot be classed as Android, Cyborg or Artificial Human. The closest thing I can get to is Biot, Biological Robot, a term first used by Arthur C. Clarke in his 1972 novel Rendezvous with Rama. Biots are exactly what they say on the tin, organic beings who are designed to function like robots. This dose not accurately describe what they are however but using that term I've come up with one that dose work. Bioborg, humans who have been upgraded with with constructed organic parts.

Cell is the living definition of a Biot, a constructed living creature.

So

Android Class - #8,#13, #14, #15, #16 and #19

Cybrog Class - Gero

Bioborg Class - #17 and #18

Biot/Artificial Human/Bio-Android Class - Cell

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:33 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Android Class - #8,#13, #14, #15, #16 and #19
Perhaps in Path to Power, where he was basically shitting metal parts during his sacrifice. But the one from Toriyama's manga is more ambiguous. His "recent" interviews in the Full Color editions of the Cell Arc paint #8 in the same category as the non organics, but the Daizenshu/Choshenshu classify him as a human-base like 17 and 18.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:#17 and #18 are the real stand outs. Since there upgrades are apparently organic in nature
Since when were their upgrades stated to be biological in nature? Is that some new retcon introduced by Super?

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:54 am

Muffin Man wrote:
Lord Frieza wrote:#17 and #18 are the real stand outs. Since there upgrades are apparently organic in nature
Since when were their upgrades stated to be biological in nature? Is that some new retcon introduced by Super?
Actually the first time I heard about it was back in 2015, bare with me and I'll find the source...

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am

There is something that bothers me more: why the hell they still call them by numbers? It's fu--in' weird, Lapis and Lazuli would be definitely better

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:40 am

MrBlackFox wrote:There is something that bothers me more: why the hell they still call them by numbers? It's fu--in' weird, Lapis and Lazuli would be definitely better
As fair as I know that was never mentioned in series so the in verse explanation would be they don't remember their names, and out verse everyone is just too used to 17 and 18 as names.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:00 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
MrBlackFox wrote:There is something that bothers me more: why the hell they still call them by numbers? It's fu--in' weird, Lapis and Lazuli would be definitely better
As fair as I know that was never mentioned in series so the in verse explanation would be they don't remember their names, and out verse everyone is just too used to 17 and 18 as names.

Mmh, I was talking about in universe numbers
They can easily do that modify if they want imo

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:06 am

Its weird krilian doesn't refer to his wife as lazulli, he still calls her 18

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:41 am

jplaya2023 wrote:Its weird krilian doesn't refer to his wife as lazulli, he still calls her 18
Exactly what I was sayin' :lol: makes me laugh every time

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Muffin Man wrote:
17's bio in the technology section of Daizenshu 4:
Biotechnological-type Artificial Humans

01 ~ Artificial Human No. 8
A human-based artificial human developed early on by Doctor Gero. "Hacchan" is the pet name that Goku gave him. He has no big special features outside of his superhuman strength and strong build. He has a timid and gentle personality. Though he won't fight when he himself is in danger, once he's angered he unleashes his true power. All artificial humans after No. 8 were built for the purpose of defeating Goku.

02 ~ Artificial Human No. 18
A female type, rare among artificial humans. Judging her by her appearance will backfire severely. Being human-based, she has the ability to mother children. Though she wields less power than her twin brother No. 17, she is still enough of a warrior to overwhelm Super Saiyan Vegeta.

03 ~ Artificial Human No. 17
A cool-headed artificial human who enjoys battles as if they were games. As the twin brother of No. 18, he places more importance on power. Like No. 18, he is fundamentally human-based and only his organic matter has been restructured. The few mechanical parts that are used were for his emergency deactivation controller and self-destruction device. If the emergency deactivation controller is used on the powerful No. 17 and No. 18, they become unable to move their bodies.

As infinite models, No. 17 and No. 18's energy is limitless. Even if they discharge barriers or energy bullets, it isn't depleted.

GreatWyrmGold

Post by GreatWyrmGold » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm

As Team Four Star pointed out, those are the kind of names you'd give your kids if you wanted them to become strippers. If it wasn't for all the other weird names in Dragon Ball, I could definitely see 17 and 18 preferring to go by their numbers.
That, or their past was screwed-up enough that they want to leave it behind. Which is an uncharacteristically dark interpretation, since they'd rather go by the names given to them as Goku-killing superweapons, so...let's go with the embarrassing-name thing.
I have constructed a power level list for Dragon Ball Super. Feedback and constructive criticism are appreciated!

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:21 pm

GreatWyrmGold wrote:
As Team Four Star pointed out, those are the kind of names you'd give your kids if you wanted them to become strippers. If it wasn't for all the other weird names in Dragon Ball, I could definitely see 17 and 18 preferring to go by their numbers.
That, or their past was screwed-up enough that they want to leave it behind. Which is an uncharacteristically dark interpretation, since they'd rather go by the names given to them as Goku-killing superweapons, so...let's go with the embarrassing-name thing.

Nice explanation, I just have to get used to this I think :lol:

But i still laugh trying to Imagine a scene like "Do you... Ehr... 18... want to take Krillin as your husband?" :lol: