People say this show is for the kids, but..

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

People say this show is for the kids, but..

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Any kid that watches this show probably isn't just a casual watcher. If they're like most fans, they LOVE it. Probably buy a lot of toys and watching it every weekend and rewatching episodes. Whenever there's an inconsistency in the show people point it out, and someone always says "it's for the kids. Not for the adults and old fans.."

This implies that kids aren't capable of noticing deficiencies in a tv show. For example when I was 11, I remember watching the whole pikkon fight and other world tournament. It struck me as odd that Goku beat pikkon, who beat Cell very quickly, despite losing to Cell prior to death. Or how Olibu was keeping up with Pikkon in a fight and Yamcha was shown kicking but in other world. Don't respond by saying "that wasn't Canon" and blah blah blah. It's not about whether or not it happened in the manga. It's the fact that it was easily noticeable by a child.

A lot of animes now how have much better storytelling than dragon ball and Sometimes require a little more focus to follow than just fast punches and pretty colors. I feel like kids now will be a lot more capable of picking out things that don't make sense. I didn't consider myself an observant kid, so I feel like I wasn't the only one who caught on to this kind of stuff early on.

Were you guys paying attention to details in Dragon Ball when you were younger? Did it not bother you? With entire televisions shows available with just a click of a button, it's not to crazy to think that kids don't just watch Super. They probably went back to watch Z as well. Do you believe they won't be able to notice the same things we notice?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: People say this show is for the kids, but..

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 pm

The "it's okay cause it's a kids show" line is one of the worst excuses in the book when it comes to rebutting criticisms. However, it's worth noting that this is a kids show and there are tons of casual watchers who are children
Retired.

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Gotta please the young kids from japan.. outside of that I don't think kids from our country, central America or Latin America give a damn about super. Its basically all the adults that grew up watching the good uncut shit from the 90s that watch dbs. I literally don't know a single kid that watches dbs and that's including my son lol.
Last edited by julianix on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 pm

I think the problem is people thinking kids are stupid. They are not, and anyone thinking they can make that generaluzation is being plain ignorant. I and most people I know pointed out flaws in the writing of Dragon Ball and other shows we grew up with.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:43 pm

julianix wrote:Gotta please the young kids from japan.. outside of that I don't think kids from our country, central America or Latin America give a damn about super. Its basically all the adults that grew up watching the good uncut shit from the 90s that watch dbs. I literally don't know a single kid that watches dbs and that's including my son lol.
I can believe that. Super is aired on toonami late at night in America. The ones most likely watching it are teenagers/adults. Which makes it more weird that they assume they won't pick up on it.

It's very possible for them to please the kids and do things in a way that actually makes sense and is consistent with their way of doing things.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I think the problem is people thinking kids are stupid. They are not, I and most people I know pointed out flaws in the writing of Dragon Ball and other shows we grew up with.
Exactly. They aren't. I loved dragon ball and paid attention to everything. Rewatching episodes and what not. At some point you start to notice glaring issues.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:59 pm

This appears to just be another thread about strength debates and scaling over the span of the entire franchise (of which we have plenty), under the guise of asking whether or not it's a children's show. I would recommend this recent/on-going one.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::