Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why does "my boy" Boo keep getting screwed?

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 pm

This sucks for Buu, so many people including myself wanted to see him in the the T of P...

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon May 08, 2017 11:52 pm

I let Revival F(Because we had great action from the other characters) and Universe 6(It was pretty funny that he fell asleep) slide, but this seem ridiculous. His exhibition match was great and the little bit of training we saw was pretty cool. It just seems like all that build up is a waste.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 pm

If Buu had actually fought back in the Champa tournament I probably wouldn't mind him sitting out of this one. But he got screwed over two tournaments in a row, and he's on all the promotional material leading up to those tournaments! What the hell?

If they told us from the getgo he wouldn't be included like how we were told Trunks/Goten wouldn't compete from the start, it would have still been disappointing, but the shock/disappointment would not be as bad.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:54 pm

The real question is why have so many threads been sayin "my boy" so mockingly

But I'm kinda mad Buu wont be fighting. They slimmed him down and all that hype for nothing.

CabbaxCaulifla

Post by CabbaxCaulifla » Mon May 08, 2017 11:56 pm

I wonder if this is why we had the Zen Exhibition matches. Since they let Buu fight then.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue May 09, 2017 12:05 am

precita wrote:It just makes me sick. I'm bothered by Buu getting screwed, Yamcha getting treated worse than ever, and the lack of them doing anything with Trunks/Goten. At least the latter two I think will be redeemed once we get a timeskip to EOZ, but the others are screwed.

Don't the writers realize the emotional toll and turmoil this causes fans? Some of us are having mental breakdowns over the news. People don't like seeing their favorite characters treated poorly. It's like, "battered-wife syndrome."
If you're having a mental breakdown over a children cartoon, it's time to seek help.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Tue May 09, 2017 3:58 am

I could understand the choice to have Buu sleep it out during the Revival of Freeza story. He could do crazy stuff like just turn Freeza's whole army into candy, and his nigh immortality could be a real nuisance even for god level characters. But a tournament would be the perfect place for him to be involved in the fights without his abilities being too "convenient". He can't be eating/absorbing guys if there are clearly rules against killing, and he doesn't have to be utterly destroyed if he can be eliminated by a simple ring-out. Imagine if he actually did have a fight in the universe 6 tournament and something like this happened: him and Botamo have a fun fight where neither can hurt the other, so Buu is told to win by ring-out. He uses a chunk of his body to tie Botamo completely up like he once did to Vegeta, and then then throw him out of the ring like that. The twist? The announcer notices how he is always pulling himself back together and takes note of the fact that Buu's body chunk touched outside the ring before any of Botamo did, and since that is still a part of Buu, it means Buu touched outside ring out before Botamo did and thus loses the match. That would be way better than having him just not participate at all!

I had hopes that this whole universe survival tournament would be a place where we could have some really fun fights involving teamwork and group fights (which is something that has always been kind of rare in DB) where each person could contribute in a different way even if they're way weaker than the rest. (Why else would they make it so there is no killing and even no flying?) Buu could be a very fun and useful character in such a setting. They can't use senzus? No problem, Buu has better healing powers than Dende. Need somebody to help protect the weaker members or serve as a distraction while trying something? Buu can take a ton of abuse before going down. Maybe he could be an essential member in the first couple of battles and ends up being the first target of the remaining teams afterwards. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for somebody like Jiren to just knock his ass right out of bounds after noticing the edge he can give his team. Like I said, a tournament is the perfect place for him. If anything, Buu was the character I was interested in seeing fight the most of all in this story...

We don't technically know for sure that he is out just yet... but I am certainly not liking the look of things... If he is out, then I will have to consider that the third time DB Super has disappointed me. The first time being when Gotenks showed up just to immediately separate against Ginyu. The second time being Buu not partaking at all in the Universe 6 arc. Only two disapoinments up to now? Quite the tolerant fellow, ain't I? lol But this will far exceed those by a landslide, mainly because it is the second one all over agin taken to a whole new level! :evil:

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Tue May 09, 2017 5:06 am

I agree with the overpowered Buu explanation but not 100%

Remember the tournament is not a fight to death, they could still throw him outside of the ring and beat it

Better reason I can think to is this arc will be the last hurrah for many characters, including humans, androids (maybe only 18 tho) and maybe Frieza, who could be revived and go in another universe / Planet or be in some way destroyed and disappear forever

While Buu will star in the EOZ budokai and could still play a key role when Uub will come, remember he's heavily tied to him

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Tue May 09, 2017 7:42 am

Funny is... they have Whis who can bring out a baby out of Bulma... but he can't wake up Buu.

Weak reason. Even if you say cuz of his abilities... Him being disqualified or something to avoid his had magic powers would make more sense and wouldn't let him look like shit again...

But nooooo. He sleeps

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Tue May 09, 2017 2:27 pm

They gave us the basil fight and he sparred with Goku. He's probably a kid at mind but his ability to fight and adapt are pretty good.

They are saving him for later and this was a perfect opportunity to bring Freeza back. I think its perfect.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Tue May 09, 2017 4:18 pm

julianix wrote:They are saving him for later and this was a perfect opportunity to bring Freeza back. I think its perfect.
There's no reason to think they are saving Buu for later, though; that's just wishful thinking. If only this confirms to me -not that it was necessary- that they don't know what to do with Buu, wich is a shame.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 09, 2017 5:36 pm

Majin Jator wrote:
julianix wrote:They are saving him for later and this was a perfect opportunity to bring Freeza back. I think its perfect.
There's no reason to think they are saving Buu for later, though; that's just wishful thinking. If only this confirms to me -not that it was necessary- that they don't know what to do with Buu, wich is a shame.
The only possibility of Buu getting screentime in the future is when they finally get to Uub. But even then Uub will probably just get focus over Buu.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:The real question is why have so many threads been sayin "my boy" so mockingly
This is the real question. Are we supposed to be making fun of how some people talk or something? I ain't getting the joke. I legit use the expression too, so what's the issue?

julianix
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by julianix » Tue May 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Majin Jator wrote:
If Toriyama doesnt know what to do with Majin Buu then something is wrong with him. Of course he knows. He was the villain to end dbz. He has a pretty damn big fan support ( I mean look at your avatar) and not to mention, the guy literally got reincarnated in Uub. purposely leaving a lot of options moving forward.

I think they will focus on Freeza to fix their mistakes from ressurection F. Then later they can give Buy some more development. I mean you guys honestly think Uub won't ever show up in super?

It baffles me how so many people think that Buu is getting wasted. It's like the Gohan fans complaining about his weakness when literally anyone could of seen his return to power.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 09, 2017 6:24 pm

You know the more I think about it, the more I hate what how they've handled Majin Boo being sidelined from another major story in modern Dragon ball.

This is the third fucking time it's happened to him. And all because he decided sleep at the most inconvenient time...again. Ugh. It's the most bullshit excuse to bench him. And it's so fucking dumb. And it's the worst kind of recurring gag that they've given to any character in the cast. It really annoys the hell out of me that Toriyama/Toei/Toyotaro would take this route to exclude from another major arc.

Like why even advertise him in the first place? It's basically the Champa arc all over again. And if the Zen Exhibition Matches aren't in the manga, then that really shows how much Toriyama doesn't really care for the character. Because even if Majin Boo doesn't compete, at least Toei were willing to throw him a bone and reminds the fans just what he's truly capable of in combat.

Just terrible, terrible, terrible treatment of the character all-around. And it really leaves such a sour taste in my mouth because I was looking forward to Majin Boo competing in the Tournament of Power so damn much, and know he's not going to be taking part in it disappoints and angers me a lot. He deserves better than this.

EDIT: I've just remembered something. When Majin Boo fell asleep during the Zen Exhibition Matches, he just was fed candy by Mr Satan and he woke up again. Why can't they just do that? Ugh. That really hammers home how much they've fucked this up.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue May 09, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue May 09, 2017 6:31 pm

For Ressurection F he was quite overpowered. None of the mooks would be able to scrape his boots, so it was probably for the better he skipped out on that.

In the U6 arc his participation would have made things better, but at least the manga came up with a funny way to keep him out of that. It did also help build some tension, especially now knowing how things turn out. Him getting booted, Goku losing in the second round and Monaka being a fraud, all helped with creating some unpredictability, otherwise U7 would have had it in the bag from the start.

However, at this point I don't think there's any good reason why he should've been excluded. The best would be to wait and see how the Tournament plays out, since if it will be based not only on cool fights, but also on character interactions and stuff like that, he's a pretty tough guy to get right.
His personality shifts to extreme ends, either being mellow and chill or angry and unreasonable. That can be fun, but does get old easily and doesn't bode well when trying to have characters play of one another.

The thing about that, however, is that with Freeza returning, the two could have a cool thing going on. Freeza knows about him and that he's not one to be fucked with. It would open interesting character stuff for Buu to do too, not only the dynamic of worst guy helping the good guys. Combine that with Buu having the most potential for fun fights and he should be a no-brainer.
And that's not taking in the fact that with both him and Freeza on the team, the only contestants who weren't formerly bad are just Goku (who everybody sees as evil) and Gohan who would be the straight man in all this. This opens up good dynamics between him (and U7 as a whole) and the Pride Troopers, the Gods etc.

As a consequence he should be there instead of Muten Roshi, who at this point brings 0 to the team.

I really hope they somehow keep him there, though I'm not getting my hopes up. His Fit transformation was also way too good to just be a one-time gag :( he took Super Buu's body-type but kept his own clothes and traits... It's quite literally my favorite form of his, since it combines the other two I liked the most.

At least he had two cool fights this arc (one being top 5 stuff), for a total of three in Super as a whole. Few can say the same.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 09, 2017 6:37 pm

Unless I'm drawing a blank here, what were the two fights Buu got in Super? He fought in the exhibition matches and what else? Are people counting that extremely brief fight he had with Beerus when he first appeared and tossed Buu into the water?

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue May 09, 2017 7:00 pm

precita wrote:Unless I'm drawing a blank here, what were the two fights Buu got in Super? He fought in the exhibition matches and what else? Are people counting that extremely brief fight he had with Beerus when he first appeared and tossed Buu into the water?
Yeah, that, which is a bit longer than you remember. He's the only one who goes one-on-one with Beerus except Goku and Vegeta, so I count it. And there's the spar with Goku.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue May 09, 2017 7:05 pm

precita wrote:Unless I'm drawing a blank here, what were the two fights Buu got in Super? He fought in the exhibition matches and what else? Are people counting that extremely brief fight he had with Beerus when he first appeared and tossed Buu into the water?
I think people are counting the spar with Goku a few episodes back.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue May 09, 2017 7:32 pm

Can you guys picture Basil's face....

Basil rushes Universe 7 yelling "Were is the Buu creature! I want a rematch!"

Frieza appears right infrount of him "I'm afraid Majin Buu is indisposed at the moment, I'm his replacement"

Basil shocked but since he cannot sense Frieza's ki he still acts tough ""Who are you you pale freak!"

Frieza give a mocking smile "I am Lord Frieza the supreme ruler of my universe"

Basil "What ever I'll take my revenge out on you then!"

Frieza "My my, you do bark very loud for a slobbering mongrel. Can your bite match it I wonder?"

Basil "WHY YOU!!! SHINING BLAS.....AHH!!!

Frieza has blasted him through the legs "Heel boy"

Basil falls to the ground in shock and pain. Frieza chuckles "Now beg"

Basil "Please....Please dont....hurt..m"

Frieza points his finger at Basil, a red spark of light flies from the tip and into Basil's chest.

Frieza "Play dead" and causally moves his finger.

Basil scream as he is sent flying over the edge of the arena.