Is Dende Responsible for Earth's Hell?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Is Dende Responsible for Earth's Hell?

Post by batistabus » Mon May 08, 2017 1:33 am

We know that Enma is responsible for determining if humans go to heaven or hell, but Freeza mentions that he is specifically in Earth's hell. As Dende is the god of Earth, might he have had a hand in deciding Freeza's fate? There isn't any official material to back this up, but I find the idea of sweet, innocent Dende coming up with such an adorable and surprisingly sadistic eternal torture to be amusing.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is Dende Responsible for Earth's Hell?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon May 08, 2017 1:36 am

batistabus wrote:We know that Enma is responsible for determining if humans go to heaven or hell, but Freeza mentions that he is specifically in Earth's hell. As Dende is the god of Earth, might he have had a hand in deciding Freeza's fate? There isn't any official material to back this up, but I find the idea of sweet, innocent Dende coming up with such an adorable and surprisingly sadistic eternal torture to be amusing.
Well, if the God of Earth was the one who determine what kind of Hell people are condemned to...then it would have been Kami who did this to Freeza, not Dende. Dende didn't become God until right before the Cell Games.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

RalfHookman

Post by RalfHookman » Mon May 08, 2017 2:05 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Well, if the God of Earth was the one who determine what kind of Hell people are condemned to...then it would have been Kami who did this to Freeza, not Dende. Dende didn't become God until right before the Cell Games.
You are right. But Freeza dies in the Resurrection of F, so Dende might have determined hell for Freeza. But we see it looks the same: a cocoon on tree surrounded by angels. He could realize it was best suited for Freeza.

But there are no information to back this up. Although, considering new information from RoF, I find this concept really interesting. Yet again, it would make things complicated. Enma Daio decides on the soul's fate, but planetary gods, decide on hell's shape? What about heaven? Do they decide on heaven too?

Why would planetary gods decide on the shapes of heaven and hell? Why not keep everything how it used to be in the anime fillers? The changing of Other World rules was what bugged me the most. I didn't like it at all, because they kept in Dragon Ball Kai Freeza and Cell watching a fight between Goku and Kid Buu. If Kai was supposed to be a perfect series with cut filler, why was it left!? I call it BS.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:15 pm

RalfHookman wrote: Why would planetary gods decide on the shapes of heaven and hell? Why not keep everything how it used to be in the anime fillers? The changing of Other World rules was what bugged me the most. I didn't like it at all, because they kept in Dragon Ball Kai Freeza and Cell watching a fight between Goku and Kid Buu. If Kai was supposed to be a perfect series with cut filler, why was it left!? I call it BS.
Kai TFC was a rush job and Toei needed footage to make the episode be a full 23 minutes.

Besides, the movie versions of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' were written by Toriyama to be continuations of the manga, and since we never see hell in the manga, there really isn't a plot hole from the movies perspective.

As for DB Super, since its a continuation of Kai, there definitely is a plot hole.

RalfHookman

Post by RalfHookman » Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 pm

DHM211 wrote:Kai TFC was a rush job and Toei needed footage to make the episode be a full 23 minutes.

Besides, the movie versions of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' were written by Toriyama to be continuations of the manga, and since we never see hell in the manga, there really isn't a plot hole from the movies perspective.
Which is really sad and shows how Kai TFC was handled with a little care.

I don't remember if RoF was already in the theaters during those episodes of Kai TFC, but they must of know about Freeza's return. They should have cut Cell and Freeza scene in hell to make it consistent.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:57 pm

RalfHookman wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Kai TFC was a rush job and Toei needed footage to make the episode be a full 23 minutes.

Which is really sad and shows how Kai TFC was handled with a little care.

I don't remember if RoF was already in the theaters during those episodes of Kai TFC, but they must of know about Freeza's return. They should have cut Cell and Freeza scene in hell to make it consistent.
Resurrection 'F' aired in Japan on April 18th, 2015. DB Kai episode 152(the episode with the hell scene) aired May 10th, 2015. So yeah, Toei technically could have went back and edited it out, but 1) I doubt they care, 2) they needed the episode to be a full 23 minutes, and 3) the movie was being regarded as a continuation of the manga.

For consistencies sake, Toei really should have edited hell for Dragon Ball Super, which is a continuation of Kai. Or at least give some explanation as to why Frieza regained his cyborg parts and is in his cocoon. A simple fix would be to have Frieza be in the cocoon without his cyborg body, and have him acknowledge at some point that he(possibly when Sorbet brings up that Goku beat Buu after he heals Frieza), along with the rest of hell, were allowed out of their personal prisons to watch Goku fighting Buu.

But like I said, I doubt Toei cares.

RalfHookman

Post by RalfHookman » Mon May 08, 2017 3:06 pm

DHM211 wrote:Resurrection 'F' aired in Japan on April 18th, 2015. DB Kai episode 152(the episode with the hell scene) aired May 10th, 2015.
Which makes me think that they should not put that scene in the episodes, because they should knew back then that Toriyama decided on different shape of hell.
DHM211 wrote:For consistencies sake, Toei really should have edited hell for Dragon Ball Super, which is a continuation of Kai. Or at least give some explanation as to why Frieza regained his cyborg parts and is in his cocoon. A simple fix would be to have Frieza be in the cocoon without his cyborg body, and have him acknowledge at some point that he(possibly when Sorbet brings up that Goku beat Buu after he heals Frieza), along with the rest of hell, were allowed out of their personal prisons to watch Goku fighting Buu.
I like your ideas! A simple change of the art for that scene in the episodes of Super which would be so simple, and one line in the Sorbet/Freeza scene on the ship would fix a lot. You know, it's really sad that they didn't bother to do this. They definitely didn't care. Sigh...

CabbaxCaulifla

Post by CabbaxCaulifla » Tue May 09, 2017 12:06 am

It probably just depends on what world you die. Which makes me wonder what happens if you die in space.
RalfHookman wrote:[ You know, it's really sad that they didn't bother to do this. They definitely didn't care. Sigh...

I don't see how that's the case, since any appearance of Hell before RoF & Super was just in filler.

They were better off ignoring it. It is certainly no skin off my nose, i don't consider those scenes in Kai canon.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue May 09, 2017 12:33 am

In Dragon Ball Online, Dende demands that all chilren be cast off into the wilderness so they can become fighters like Goku, so it wouldn't be the only case of Dende coming up with some really fucked up shit.

Bulma's Foot Masseur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bulma's Foot Masseur » Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 am

I liked the Buu arc hell scenes for emphasizing the scale of DBZ's final battle, but yeah, difficult to reconcile.

There was fanon that Enma let the villains out of their individual prisons so that they could witness the end of existence along with everyone else, which gains more credence if an exception is made yet again...