Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Thoughts on Ribrianne?

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:50 pm

In regards to Ribrianne's screen time and promotion - to be honest, now it seems more like they needed a character to fill the episodes with padding scenes and they chose her because she is eye-catching. Problem is it made it seem like she'd be more important in the long run than she ended up being. She never truly broke out from her gag-character status. But it seems it was a good choice in a way- I feel like she's been talked about far more than Jiren. She's one of the more memorable characters of this arc.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Get real, I don't like everything nor do I even suggest that. I criticizes Dragon Ball as a whole all the time.

You sound like another salty fan boohooing about a gag character taking time away from your more liked characters.

Gotenks had a longer fight with Buu than Gohan and he's a gag character, it happens sometimes get over it.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:30 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Get real, I don't like everything nor do I even suggest that. I criticizes Dragon Ball as a whole all the time.

You sound like another salty fan boohooing about a gag character taking time away from your more liked characters.

Gotenks had a longer fight with Buu than Gohan and he's a gag character, it happens sometimes get over it.
Gotenks didn't really start as a gag character. Slightly comedic but he was a serious addition at first.

Otherwise I agree.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Disagreed, he was playing volleyball with Buu after he murdered there family and friends, he was never serious.

Asura

Post by Asura » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:46 pm

Michsi wrote:But it seems it was a good choice in a way- I feel like she's been talked about far more than Jiren. She's one of the more memorable characters of this arc.
Is that really a good thing though? That a character is memorable for being such a bad gag that it distracts from the main antagonist of the arc?

Like, you say she's one of the more memorable characters but in what way? Regardless of whether someone liked the gag or not, that's all she's going to be remembered for, being a gag instead of a character. So maybe she is memorable, but not in a good way if the only thing worth remembering about her is that she's a joke character.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Asura wrote:
Michsi wrote:But it seems it was a good choice in a way- I feel like she's been talked about far more than Jiren. She's one of the more memorable characters of this arc.
Is that really a good thing though? That a character is memorable for being such a bad gag that it distracts from the main antagonist of the arc?

Like, you say she's one of the more memorable characters but in what way? Regardless of whether someone liked the gag or not, that's all she's going to be remembered for, being a gag instead of a character. So maybe she is memorable, but not in a good way if the only thing worth remembering about her is that she's a joke character.
Yea, that is a good thing to be, being a funny character.

If a Character brought joy and laughs to a show that is not really a bad thing. It always made me smile and fans I speak to enjoyed having a character like that. Even main characters like Goku would have these kind of moments if we forget, slapstick and humor are good to have to remind us to laugh at times, the dislike for that really never made much sense to me but I guess it does not click with some fans and that is ok, but clearly it clicked for some of us.

But to the other point, while the Funny was part of Ribrianne's character, it was not all I or other ssaw. She was not seemingly just made to be a gag character, we saw a Girl Caring about the loss of her Friends when they go ringed out, a girl that wanted to be a goddess to bring what she thought was the best thing she can bring to the Universe she loved. She clearly evolved form that belief in loved to a new form of it after her fight with 18, clearing showing character evolution in the process that can lead to good story in coming episodes after the ToP ends.

She admitted the stakes of the ToP during her doubt moment in 111, one of the ONLY Fighters to state that it seemed and I found a good amount of fans liked that she brought that to life, many fans where getting upset many fighters did not make the stakes clear.

Before she Got Nerfed in episodes 107 and beyond and I made a post about that below, she was showing to be a Powerful fighting that went Toe-to-Toe with SSJ-Vegeta and 17, breaking his shield, the only Fighter to do that in the ToP. Also she gained praise form 17, Goku and the GoD Liquiir for being a strong fighter. She clearly cared about her Universe and was willing to fight for its right to live with her speech towards 17 and in the final battle with 18 while it still was a very nerfed fight, She still put all she got into that fight like many other fighters before her, but thanks to the nerfing it was not enough.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=40438&p=1422258#p1422254

Toei I still think has plans for her, but they just decided not now to go all the way for reasons. They clearly seem more focues on UI Goku and Jiren being the main thing. Again further down the road will tell us.

But for many like me and I know others, while we enjoyed the funny Brianne Brought, we also saw the beginnings of a Girl while still young and needed to learn the ropes of other worlds, clearly had her heart in the right place and did her all to be the best she could be at it. She did it out of Love for her Universe, her Friends and clearly the ideal she believed in being love and threw that has admitted she needs to know more about True Love to become better.

So yea, while it is ok some fans didn't see this or may not care much about it and again that is ok. But others Like me LOVED these traits about Brianne and what she brought and still will bring to DB now and in the future if Toei continues with her hopefully. :thumbup:

--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:25 am

Asura wrote:

I guess it comes down to whether or not that was the intention. As I said in the post, I feel like they needed more material to stretch out the arc and they used her character because of her colorful and eye-catching presence. She was also pretty much the main source of humor (with the exception of Katopesla, but he came late) so maybe that's also why they kept her around for longer.
Being a joke character isn't necessarily a bad thing in DB (see Mr. Satan), problem was that the joke wasn't that funny. It got grating fast.
But you know what they say, all publicity is good publicity, so fans talking about her instead of dropping the show because of her is a good thing.

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:12 am

I personally really like Ribrianne/Brianne as a character, but that may be partly because of my bias toward mahō shōjo. Lots of her attacks, gags, and traits really took me back to several series I've watched and read throughout the years, such as Shugo Chara!, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahō. I never thought I'd see the day that Dragon Ball would make me feel nostalgia that brought to mind Hinamori Amu shouting "Character Transformation: Amulet Heart!", Kinomoto Sakura capturing a Clow Card, or Morishita Koyomi comically failing at even simple magic, instead of anything Dragon Ball related, yet here we are.

Plus, as someone who strongly dislikes Caulifla and Kale, I'm ecstatic that Brianne outlived even the likes of Kafla.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:59 am

Ribriannes alright. She started off pretty solid, but then the writers decided to turn her into a team rocket villain the pops in every episode and gets her butt kicked. Thankfully she got a great send-off episode that had a clear focus on her, instead of just throwing her around like some ragdoll.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

SsjCookie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SsjCookie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:54 am

She was bit of a gag character even though I didn't particularly like her Teletubbie design and the whole "love" promotion she kept on blathering about, I still think she was one of the better fleshed out characters in the tournament.
She at least wasn't fodder like so many others around.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 am

Michsi wrote:In regards to Ribrianne's screen time and promotion - to be honest, now it seems more like they needed a character to fill the episodes with padding scenes and they chose her because she is eye-catching. Problem is it made it seem like she'd be more important in the long run than she ended up being. She never truly broke out from her gag-character status. But it seems it was a good choice in a way- I feel like she's been talked about far more than Jiren. She's one of the more memorable characters of this arc.
You read my mind. Ribrianne stuck around so long it made you think she'd accomplish something of significant eventually, but it never happened. She was all gag, and was used to fill up time in episodes. This became more and more clear with her power inconsistencies, sponginess, and inability to eliminate important characters. She could've been eliminated the episode she was introduced and it would've made no difference to anything that's happened since.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:34 am

TysonWine wrote:
Michsi wrote:In regards to Ribrianne's screen time and promotion - to be honest, now it seems more like they needed a character to fill the episodes with padding scenes and they chose her because she is eye-catching. Problem is it made it seem like she'd be more important in the long run than she ended up being. She never truly broke out from her gag-character status. But it seems it was a good choice in a way- I feel like she's been talked about far more than Jiren. She's one of the more memorable characters of this arc.
You read my mind. Ribrianne stuck around so long it made you think she'd accomplish something of significant eventually, but it never happened. She was all gag, and was used to fill up time in episodes. This became more and more clear with her power inconsistencies, sponginess, and inability to eliminate important characters. She could've been eliminated the episode she was introduced and it would've made no difference to anything that's happened since.

And what's worse, the three remaining characters from U2 in 119 had a better showing in terms of action and humor than the girls did IMO. Maybe because the direction in 119 was better than any other episode that focused on her, but the effect is still the same.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Final thoughts on Ribrianne's character are that she's very polarizing. On the one hand, it's evident now that her sole role in the tournament was to be a recurring gag that brought a more comedic edge to the show. On the other hand, her pre-entrance foreshadowing made it seem as if she would play a more significant part in the events of the tournament. They teased her character as if she and the Kamikaze Fireballs would be serious contenders in this tournament. Instead, all three of them were handled by 17 and 18. Their overall impact in the tournament was honestly not very different from that of most of the Pride Troopers. The main difference is that Ribrianne stuck around longer than most of them did. That's where the "polarizing" aspect of her character comes into play. If you enjoyed her character and didn't mind her being relegated to comedy, you probably didn't mind/liked her. If you didn't enjoy her character and/or wanted something more from her character than just recurring gags, you probably didn't like her. I'm personally in the latter camp, but I understand opinions will vary.

In short, what we at first thought would be a new secondary antagonist instead became the new Yajirobe.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:Final thoughts on Ribrianne's character are that she's very polarizing. On the one hand, it's evident now that her sole role in the tournament was to be a recurring gag that brought a more comedic edge to the show. On the other hand, her pre-entrance foreshadowing made it seem as if she would play a more significant part in the events of the tournament. They teased her character as if she and the Kamikaze Fireballs would be serious contenders in this tournament. Instead, all three of them were handled by 17 and 18. Their overall impact in the tournament was honestly not very different from that of most of the Pride Troopers. The main difference is that Ribrianne stuck around longer than most of them did. That's where the "polarizing" aspect of her character comes into play. If you enjoyed her character and didn't mind her being relegated to comedy, you probably didn't mind/liked her. If you didn't enjoy her character and/or wanted something more from her character than just recurring gags, you probably didn't like her. I'm personally in the latter camp, but I understand opinions will vary.

In short, what we at first thought would be a new secondary antagonist instead became the new Yajirobe.
Hey Tombstone1988, Good to talk to you again, I like your in-depth on Ribrianne their, breaking down both points of view and saying that even thought one comes down on one side, you can respect and understand it will vary. That is good and how things should be view as. We can still have debate of-course, but it can be respected why that debate is happen, to showcase both points of view.

So indeed I respect your views and thanks for respecting the Fans of Brianne's Views as well.

If I had to breakdown the way a Brianne Fan Like Me sees it, I think the Very Polarizing ideal of Brianne was really something that we felt just got out of hand and never understood Why many took it so Far. Again, that is fine if a Fan does not like her and she is someone they will not enjoy, I never want wag my finger and say "How Dare You Not Like...." Yea Yea No, you can like and dislike anyone you want. If a fan is under-sure or having doubts or something along those lines or we can have a debate to just show why Brianne is Good so that the Fans of Hers get their point of view out, that is ok, but never strike a fan for not liking a character, that is not correct. On that note if I EVER sounded like I was doing that, I am truly sorry about that.

The only part of the polarizing that Brianne Fans and what I saw other Fans got annoyed by was the Never Ending talk about how fans did not like her. This was mostly on YouTube really, but that place is mostly a garbage sewer of chaos anyways, it is to be expected. But not singling out any fan here at all, just the whole of the ideal of the polarizing dislike of Brianne, it just Got Way over the Top over just characteristics of her. Many Fans like me Never got why some fans took it so far, like they where trying to save Dragon Ball or Something from what was nothing but 1 character out of Dozens. I think it just took a life in and of itself that many ran with and just keep repeating itself.

But really mostly I think it has been cause of the Arc itself, being a Contest/Death Battle in a way, always these contest seem to bring out the most polarizing in fanbases to want to see the best out of their favorites and see Nothing held back or anything now 100% important in their views to get in the way of that. So Since Brianne seem to bring some lightness to the ToP at times, the ball just rolled from their.

But the good thing is I see around that some are starting to calm down on it and Episode 118 seem to do that for some fans, feeling it gave them a good Impression of Brianne and gave them class at the end. So while I still think dislike for Brianne will be around in places, I think when the ToP arc ends combined with how 118 ended up being, allot of the polarizing will deflate more slowly over time now that their is not competition of fans characters proving themselves in a Contest. IMO contests seem to bring the most polarizing out of any Fanbase, just look at Death Battles. :roll:

As for her place in Power, Hype and Importance overall, Honestly she is still VERY Important, Heck 118 showed she is the Most Beloved Hero of her Entire Universe and they where Broadcasting it to their WHOLE Universe! Just that was WOW and a personal Headcannon of mind I hoped to see, that blew me away that Toei did what I was thinking, that WOWed me!

But to the point, Brianne has a place in both her Universe cause of her status and the wieght on her shoulders to Defend her whole Universe. I really can't think of many other Hero Type characters that not only do this, but is Applauted by most of their Universe, not planet or galaxy, their U.N.I.V.E.R.S.E.! Maybe Superman of DC Comics, but I have not Read enough DC lately to know for certain, but that is my best comparison.

As for the tease to her Hype and Power, I think Originally Toei was at the start all the way up to around Episode 106 being Serious about her being a Major Power and where on the Road to that. BUT when episode 107 started after the late summer break, things in the series felt different. Characters like Brianne that went even with SSJ-Vegeta easy and 17 now got powered down the Base Goku Levels that confused many fans I saw and another example is Kale when Tanked SSJ-Blue Goku with not even being hurt and yet in episode 114 after gaining a power up, Kale that is, could not stand up-to SSJ-Red?!

I feel Toei did a major backtracking on allot of their New Characters in more favor of U7, Goku's New UI and U11 mainly Jiren. I can't say this for certain, but how the last few episodes have gone, it seem pretty likely that is where they where running with.

So WHY do I think this happen, well I can only give my Theory on this, but I think honestly not jut Brianne but Kale, Caulifla, Cabba and some others, they held them back cause I don't think they want them the Best of the Best Yet. If Kale, Caulifla could be on level by themselves with Goku already their be no need for Goku to Train them in another arc. I feel Toei too is connecting Brianne and the U2 girls to the Androids and Krillian cause they are all humans and they can learn from each other. If Brianne was on Goku's level, their be NO NEED for this kind of story, Brianne would be complete.

I think Toei held back these characters at the last min to save on story to come, that is my Theory in how they have teased these relationships and connections in the ToP. It gives both characters form U2, U6 and U11 to have different connections to different characters of U7 to both bond and grow in power with each other. If they ALL where on the same level as Goku's Highest Level, this would not make sense to happen.

That is why I think Toei did that.

In the End, Brianne is WAY Beyond not being Strong, just she has a Limit. She is high, but just U7 is higher for reasons right now.

This leaves future stories to be told for Brianne to become Better to Defend and Learn better for her Universe as their Guardian and Goddess. She has faced the BEST and Now will likely to learn from this to become the Best not just in her own Universe, but in all Universes to keep from being overpowered again.

She is way beyond a small level characters, she is the Goku of her Universe with Responsibilities and I think Toei while backtracking in making her Goku Level, Toei in Turn gave to us Brianne Fans a Major Up-Track of Greatly on her Importance and the Role she Plays in the Mythos of DB and it is a Major one!

Time will tell, but Toei has planted some interesting seeds and I indeed to be their for Brianne's character each step of the way to Analyze and Support those steps. :thumbup:

I hope this Conversation was a good and respectable one in your view Tombstone1988, I tried to make it that way, Take Care! :thumbup:

My #1 in DB!

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Speaking on Thoughts on Ribrianne, So POST-Super news on the Video Game Front;

A game I am just hearing about, DBZ: Dokkan Battle, Has Just Started an Event Called;

Spread Love! Magical Girl Fighters! 8) :angel: :thumbup:

So Far you can Only Recruit Super Ribrianne to your team, Hopefully the other Fireballs will Follow but now I am interested in this game if I can find it, but PRAISES to this Game from me that it One to Include a FULLY Playable Ribrianne and in her Super Form!!! :thumbup: :D

Life has its little Surprises of Grandness at Times! :wink: :clap:

More Videos, Info and Images Below;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2OLOb171c

http://dbz-dokkanbattle.wikia.com/wiki/ ... l_Fighters!

http://dbz-dokkanbattle.wikia.com/wiki/ ... an_Battle)

My #1 in DB!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 pm

I would have had no problem with Ribrianne if she just brought action; AKA, a good battle. Since she didn't, she was wasted by TOEI.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:51 pm

Miracles wrote:I would have had no problem with Ribrianne if she just brought action; AKA, a good battle. Since she didn't, she was wasted by TOEI.
I find this a little funny, since Ribrianne had easily 2 of the most well-animated moments of the TOP in her fight scenes with Goku and 18.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:10 am

JazzMazz wrote:I find this a little funny, since Ribrianne had easily 2 of the most well-animated moments of the TOP in her fight scenes with Goku and 18.
Good animation =/= Good fight scenes. It lacked heavily.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:11 pm

I like her and find her enjoyable. I wouldn't mind seeing her again but I don't care if she doesn't come back.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:41 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:Speaking on Thoughts on Ribrianne, So POST-Super news on the Video Game Front;

A game I am just hearing about, DBZ: Dokkan Battle, Has Just Started an Event Called;

Spread Love! Magical Girl Fighters! 8) :angel: :thumbup:

So Far you can Only Recruit Super Ribrianne to your team, Hopefully the other Fireballs will Follow but now I am interested in this game if I can find it, but PRAISES to this Game from me that it One to Include a FULLY Playable Ribrianne and in her Super Form!!! :thumbup: :D

Life has its little Surprises of Grandness at Times! :wink: :clap:
You better believe I'm farming those SSR Ribriannes. Speaking of card games, are you aware that the Dragon Ball Super TCG has a ToP-themed set coming out (in the US) in May, with some universe 2 themed cards? There's supposedly a few Ribrianne cards (no leader), a Rozie, a Kakunsa, and a 'Maiden Transformation' non-battle card.