Are you watching the Super dub every week?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basako
Advanced Regular

Re: Are you watching the Super dub every week?

Post by Basako » Fri May 26, 2017 10:21 am

I'm not watching it, but I check it sometimes too and I prefer it to the original, mostly Goku. But there is nothing in this world that is going to make me wait two years for new DB content.
Heno heno kappa!

Drellz26
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Drellz26 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:46 am

I may begin once they start with the Universe 6 tournament, mainly because I want to see some of those fights again, but that's still just a maybe. I have no interest in watching completely arcs that I have already seen so close to when I originally watched them. When I rewatch Super years down the line, I'll watch the dub for sure but right now it's still no.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Fri May 26, 2017 11:06 am

Are you kidding me? Of course I watch the Super every week. Super Saturday is what I call it. I watch the Sub live, then watch the dub, then re-watch the Sub with Subtitles!! The English Dub is way better than the original in my opinion. Love the VA of Goku and the others. It's so refreshing not hearing the granny voice. While I loved Masako Nozawa's Goku Black voice, I don't care for her Gohan and Goku voices.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Fri May 26, 2017 12:07 pm

I watch it every now and then for important moments, but otherwise I have no interest in watching it twice for the English dub. The script can be a bit much at times, but the voice acting has improved a lot, especially with Goku. Episode 11 was great.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri May 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Nope..
Dropped it a long time ago..
Will give it another shot when champa arc arrives
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri May 26, 2017 12:34 pm

Almost every week. I love Sean as Goku....I think Nozawa does great work but I just dont like her adult Goku. I know hes supposed to be an airhead of sorts but sometimes her tone just makes him sound beyond whiney/dumb.

Sean gives him more of a "I dont know cause its never mattered to me" carefree vibe.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri May 26, 2017 1:05 pm

English dub yes. Been refreshing, been so long so long since the episodes aired forgot most of the beats in the episodes, the dub cast especially Schemmel are putting in the performance of their careers. Performance wise so far they are definitely doing a better job than the Japanese cast, I am enjoying Nozawa's as Goku but it almost 100 eps she has only pulled off one fantastic goosebump worthy scene (ep 61), but her Black was phenomenal to the point it won't ever be matched but Horikawa hasn't really done anything stand out so far, people big him up but he hasn't really matched the hype (I haven't seen Z in JPN properly).

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:44 pm

I don't have access to the dub every week as it doesn't air here in Canada. I watch a few Youtube clips to see a bit of the dub but to be honest the Japanese grew on me. I actually prefer the Japanese version over the English now, and that's unheard of coming from a guy who knows virtually nothing of the Japanese culture and how I previously viewed the Japanese version.

Funny thing is, watching the Japanese version constantly has gotten me to learn a few words :)
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 pm

Nope. I was at first, but it started to feel really tedious. Like, I've already watched Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' in both Japanese and English, and I watched Japanese Super retell those stories. I really don't need a 4th go at the same plots.
I did drop in on the dub to see some of the Super-exclusive-content: Super Saiyan Mr. Satan, the introduction of Champa and Vados, Vegeta cooking for Whis, etc.
As of now though, I don't see myself watching the dub regularly again until after they finish the Resurrection 'F' retelling. Though I am tempted to watch it just to hear more of Chris Ayres.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri May 26, 2017 3:32 pm

The only dub I will watch is the German, which will arrive soon. I just hope it's the old voice actors and not the new ones from DBZKai.

Tommy Morgenstern, the Goku I grew up with. :thumbup:

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Fri May 26, 2017 3:49 pm

The only Super dub I find even vaguely interesting is the Bang Zoom version and that's purely because the voices are new interpretations so it naturally makes me curious enough to watch. The stories themselves are just boring rehashes of the movies and as far as I can tell, none of the newer concepts aside from Black Goku are even remotely interesting to me, I just don't care about Super anymore.

What little I've sampled of Funi's Super dub seems good but it's still not enough to make me care about the show. I've never had a strong attachment to that cast.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri May 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Nope. I've seen one full episode (the Tate one where Gokû starts his training under Whis and with Vegeta) and a handful of scenes from other episodes I was interested in.

Super is much more an event anime for me (I watch as it happens in real time, but don't go back much after). I also don't watch much TV in general anymore and I'm not nearly as attached to the dub as I used to be.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri May 26, 2017 4:31 pm

Like Nitro, I'm much more interested in the Bang Zoom dub than the FUNi dub, because we already know what to expect from the current FUNi cast.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Fri May 26, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri May 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Yes, I have actually. But I only really did so to see if the movie retellings of Super would be a much smoother watch through the English dub... and it surprisingly was. I mean, the current English cast for the Dragon Ball franchise is really talented and but I have t admit I was feeling a bit uneasy with how well they would handle the early episodes, especially give how rough they can be in terms of the script and visuals, bu they've so far manged to make Super feel more like a wholesome experience.

I really enjoy it a lot.
Lets see if that saves the RoF arc, lol. Tbh the only way to save it is to redo the Goku vs Frieza fight. Pretty much if that one fight wasn't trash the arc wouldn't of been that bad. If they were really going to be so lazy or so rushed they couldn't make a decent fight they might as well just shoved the movie fight right in there, lol. I'm interested to see chris ayres again though, especially in the torturing Gohan scene.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Yes, I have actually. But I only really did so to see if the movie retellings of Super would be a much smoother watch through the English dub... and it surprisingly was. I mean, the current English cast for the Dragon Ball franchise is really talented and but I have t admit I was feeling a bit uneasy with how well they would handle the early episodes, especially give how rough they can be in terms of the script and visuals, bu they've so far manged to make Super feel more like a wholesome experience.

I really enjoy it a lot.
I hope they can save the crappy RoF arc. It's the worst thing that ever happened to Dragon ball
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I don't like Super enough to watch the dub every week, but I'll check in every now and then.
Same, I even skip the fillers of the sub every now and then.
I've been trying to drop the show for over 2 months now, but then I feel out of the loop or someone brags on an episode, or something like that always drags me back in.
Plus it's only 25 minutes once a week, so it's not a huge sacrifice. That's keeping me into it. Plus I've been watching it this long why stop now unless something disastrous happens?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

uncutpokemon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by uncutpokemon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Yes I am. I'm looking forward to the dub getting past the resurrection F material so they can finally get to the new story stuff.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:31 pm

MagmonKai wrote:Are you kidding me? Of course I watch the Super every week. Super Saturday is what I call it. I watch the Sub live, then watch the dub, then re-watch the Sub with Subtitles!! The English Dub is way better than the original in my opinion. Love the VA of Goku and the others.
This right here. Super, then Super subbed, then dubbed, then Buu Kai to round out the evening. :thumbup:

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:Are you kidding me? Of course I watch the Super every week. Super Saturday is what I call it. I watch the Sub live, then watch the dub, then re-watch the Sub with Subtitles!! The English Dub is way better than the original in my opinion. Love the VA of Goku and the others.
This right here. Super, then Super subbed, then dubbed, then Buu Kai to round out the evening. :thumbup:
This is kinda off-topic but the someone did some English Dub voiceovers for Goku vs Android 17 fight, while adding some cool background music and it's pretty entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U82GtbfaSk&app=desktop

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:18 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:

I really enjoy it a lot.
I hope they can save the crappy RoF arc. It's the worst thing that ever happened to Dragon ball
I wouldn't got that far. Yeah, it a bad arc. Like a really bad arc. Especially the second half of it. But the franchise has done worse...

*glares at Episode of Bardock and Super 17 arc*