"A Mortal that even a God can't defeat"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

thegamer23
Beyond Newbie

"A Mortal that even a God can't defeat"

Post by thegamer23 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:18 am

According to Whis, there's a Mortal that even a God of Destruction can't defeat.

Beerus lost in an arm wrestle match with that god of destruction, so it's fair to say

That mortal > that God of destruction > Beerus

This warrior must be an absolute monster. What do you think about it?
Is he Jiren The Grey, or is he another being we haven't seen so far, that's going to be maybe the biggest surprise of the Tournament?

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Re: "A Mortal that even a God can't defeat"

Post by DrakenballP » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:23 am

I don't think it'll be Jiren.. Jiren seems too obvious and I don't think he's that interesting of a character. Will be disappointed if it is Jiren.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:37 am

I agree with DrakenballP. For some reason, I think the ones Whis are referring aren't even participating in the tournament. But if they are, then I expect someone else than Jiren and Universe 11's God of Destruction.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:30 pm

I think the mortal is Murichim :P

Booze Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Booze Sama » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:49 pm

If it is not someone comepting in the Tournament of Power, why did Whis mention it in correlation to Goku's question?

Goku didn't ask Whis "Hey Whis...In all of the universes, does U7 have the strongest mortals?" He asked if his universe stood a chance of easy victory in the tournament.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:55 pm

It won't surprise me if this mortal exist in U1 or U12 since those two are the highest rank Universes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Of course it's Jiren.
Remember Toppo's bio? It was stated he's strong enough to a God of Destruction. Now, Toppo himself said he's no match for Jiren.
It's easy.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:04 pm

I hope whoever won't have a joke design like Monaka. I think it'll be interesting if it's this mortal who maybe gets Zeno to not destroy the universes.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:06 pm

I believe it is Jiren, it seems too random for Whis to mention that mortal if he isn't taking part in the tournament. But it's surprising how no one reacted at all from this Whis' info. They should be scared to know there will be someone stronger than Beerus in the tournament.

It also seems like Goku will have to surpass Beerus if Jiren really is the mortal Whis was referring to. Which I repeat, I believe he is and it would make sense considering he's got almost as much screentime as Goku in the opening and Toppo also hyped him up a lot.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:14 pm

I just hope this means that Goku and Vegeta are finally close to surpassing Beerus.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:17 pm

emperior wrote:I believe it is Jiren, it seems too random for Whis to mention that mortal if he isn't taking part in the tournament. But it's surprising how no one reacted at all from this Whis' info. They should be scared to know there will be someone stronger than Beerus in the tournament.

It also seems like Goku will have to surpass Beerus if Jiren really is the mortal Whis was referring to. Which I repeat, I believe he is and it would make sense considering he's got almost as much screentime as Goku in the opening and Toppo also hyped him up a lot.
If it is him then Goku doesn't need to surpass him. We've seen him lose tournaments before (Roshi, Tien & Cell) so him losing this one won't be anything new.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:24 pm

DrakenballP wrote:I don't think it'll be Jiren.. Jiren seems too obvious and I don't think he's that interesting of a character. Will be disappointed if it is Jiren.
lol. This is more or less what I was saying about Zamasu when everyone was contemplating over who Black was.

It is Jiren. It is 100% Jiren. If you think for a second it won't be Jiren, you will be horrifically disappointed.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:33 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
DrakenballP wrote:I don't think it'll be Jiren.. Jiren seems too obvious and I don't think he's that interesting of a character. Will be disappointed if it is Jiren.
lol. This is more or less what I was saying about Zamasu when everyone was contemplating over who Black was.

It is Jiren. It is 100% Jiren. If you think for a second it won't be Jiren, you will be horrifically disappointed.
Yup, been the obvious scenario has been case with RoF and Whis' time rewind and Monaka actually being a joke, just like he looked like.
It's Jiren until otherwise noted.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:41 pm

sintzu wrote:
emperior wrote:I believe it is Jiren, it seems too random for Whis to mention that mortal if he isn't taking part in the tournament. But it's surprising how no one reacted at all from this Whis' info. They should be scared to know there will be someone stronger than Beerus in the tournament.

If it is him then Goku doesn't need to surpass him. We've seen him lose tournaments before (Roshi, Tien & Cell) so him losing this one won't be anything new.
Goku can lose though the OP implies he will surpass his limits and fight on par with Jiren.
This arc would be a good moment for Goku to finally reach Beerus. After this we could finally get the Goku vs Beerus rematch we have all been waiting for, and Beerus could actually start training to keep up with Goku.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:44 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:

Ugh, Zamasu was proven to be evil from the second we saw him :(
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:45 pm

Its probably not Jiren. If it was, Whis would have told us so. It's not like Goku has not heard about Jiren. Toppo already told him. So if it was Jiren, Goku would have asked Whis, and Whis would have confirmed that was who he was talking about. I also believe if this character was among the participating universes of this tournament, this would have caused more concern among the group. Think about it, Goku is still not stronger than Beerus. So how would the cast feel if they had to go up against somebody that is stronger than a God of Destruction Beerus couldn't beat? No, this mysterious character is setting us up for a new arc to come.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Shinomori wrote:Its probably not Jiren. If it was, Whis would have told us so. It's not like Goku has not heard about Jiren. Toppo already told him. So if it was Jiren, Goku would have asked Whis, and Whis would have confirmed that was who he was talking about. I also believe if this character was among the participating universes of this tournament, this would have caused more concern among the group. Think about it, Goku is still not stronger than Beerus. So how would the cast feel if they had to go up against somebody that is stronger than a God of Destruction Beerus couldn't beat? No, this mysterious character is setting us up for a new arc to come.
Except Goku asks how u7 fares in the ToP, and Whis says there is a mortal who not even a GoD can defeat. So either its Jiren or some mortal from the 8 universes in the tourney of power.

And Goku is getting a new form, which can easily put him above Beerus or at Beerus' level.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:51 pm

It's not Jiren. People act like this is going to be the last Dragonball arc or something. The only direction Dragonball can go is up, which means more powerful enemies. This is simply hinting at the fact that there are people still far stronger than only those in the tournament. There was a very obvious reason they excluded some universes from the tournament, so we can see them later. This is just more foreshadowing about what will happen after the tournament.

Another reason I don't think it's Jiren would be that it would imply Jiren is way over Beerus. From what we've seen so far, nothing tells us that Goku or Vegeta are even close to Beerus' level. There's no way Goku will not only surpass Beerus, but the God of Destruction AND the mortal above him as well.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Could it perhaps be this guy? Or a Db version of this guy?

His name is Saitama, aka the One Punch Man. He has no limit to his speed and strength.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Shinomori
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinomori » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:12 pm

buutenks wrote:
Shinomori wrote:Its probably not Jiren. If it was, Whis would have told us so. It's not like Goku has not heard about Jiren. Toppo already told him. So if it was Jiren, Goku would have asked Whis, and Whis would have confirmed that was who he was talking about. I also believe if this character was among the participating universes of this tournament, this would have caused more concern among the group. Think about it, Goku is still not stronger than Beerus. So how would the cast feel if they had to go up against somebody that is stronger than a God of Destruction Beerus couldn't beat? No, this mysterious character is setting us up for a new arc to come.
Except Goku asks how u7 fares in the ToP, and Whis says there is a mortal who not even a GoD can defeat. So either its Jiren or some mortal from the 8 universes in the tourney of power.

And Goku is getting a new form, which can easily put him above Beerus or at Beerus' level.
Whis stated he didn't know much about the other universes. I'm assuming he means that in general. With that said, he states there's a universe that lives a mortal who is essentially stronger than the God of Destruction of that universe. If this universe was within the participating universes, he would have stated specifically which universe. So I take that as a general statement that includes all the universes. If that is the case, this person could be from one of the non-participating universes.

If this person was apart of the participating universes, like I said, this should have raised alarms from the group. It should raise alarms for Beerus, seeing as how he is still more powerful than Goku (we can assume), and Goku would have to face such a mortal.
Last edited by Shinomori on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.