Is episode 70 a reflection on Yamcha's strength?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Is episode 70 a reflection on Yamcha's strength?

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:00 pm

I've been wondering...We all know Toei likes to build Yamcha up but episode 70 seems like something extravagant. Think about it, he tanked hits from Champa and Vegeta. Hits way harder than what Beerus gave Goku during their first meeting. Doesn't that technically place Yamcha above SSJ3 Goku (at-least in terms of durability) when Super started?

Not only that! But (off-screen) Yamcha would have to had incredible control ki control when Cabba, Champa, Hit, Goten and Vegeta went to throw the ball at him. These guys don't understand baseball at all and they're barely restraining themselves. If the bat didn't break off-screen then Yamcha is way stronger than we thought.
Goin' down to South Park gonna have myself a time

precita
Banned

Re: Is episode 70 a reflection on Yamcha's strength?

Post by precita » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Toei thinks Yamcha is stronger than Olibu, so who knows?

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:06 pm

He slapped Beerus on the back and made him flinch. I bet he's been doing some super awesome secret training like Roshi.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:16 pm

Yamcha hasn't done anything meaningful (fight wise) since the saiyan arc that means he's really out of practice. I can't imagine wanting to put him on the team. Hell Goten would be a better option than him. What does he bring to the team other than a liability? Hope he doesn't get killed or hope he does?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:36 pm

MagmonKai wrote:Yamcha hasn't done anything meaningful (fight wise) since the saiyan arc that means he's really out of practice. I can't imagine wanting to put him on the team. Hell Goten would be a better option than him. What does he bring to the team other than a liability? Hope he doesn't get killed or hope he does?
I mean we see him training with Piccolo around the first few episodes and he does have his gi on in the Tarble special. I believe him quitting was a misconception and he just simply stopped fighting in the tournaments.(I haven't really seen the manga or sub though so don't count me on this)

Krillin's the one who quit fighting up to whatever training he did that lead to his reveal in the survival arc.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:41 pm

I think I despise Krillin more than Yamcha actually, it's only because I know Krillin is probably the strongest human on earth that justifies him being on the team.

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:42 pm

MagmonKai wrote:I think I despise Krillin more than Yamcha actually, it's only because I know Krillin is probably the strongest human on earth that justifies him being on the team.
Fair enough. But Yamcha is quite strong himself.
Last edited by IntangibleFancy on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:43 pm

Do you care to explain why you think that? I'm just curious...

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm

MagmonKai wrote:Do you care to explain why you think that? I'm just curious...
Yeah.

Sure, Roshi may know some hard hitting techniques but what good is that when you're weak? Yamcha not only knows quite a few things himself judging from his time on Dragon Ball (not as much as Roshi but still an impressive amount) but he's also stronger too.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:49 pm

IntangibleFancy wrote:
Yeah.

Sure, Roshi may know some hard hitting techniques but what good is that when you're weak? Yamcha not only knows quite a few things himself judging from his time on Dragon Ball (not as much as Roshi but still an impressive amount) but he's also stronger too.

Roshi showed us in the RoF arc that he's still a decent fighter. He recently got that miracle weed that made him stronger, and we saw him fight at the Tien Dojo. We haven't seen any meaningful gains by Yamcha in Super to explain why he'd be useful to the team now other than he's "probably" more powerful than Roshi, which I disagree with.

I think Roshi represents the absolute bottom of the significant Power scale our team has. Below him is the others which won't bring any significant gains. Rosh has lots of fighting experience, we don't need another weak fighter at this point we need someone with an acute battle sense, techniques that can exploit weakness in other fighters, and a range of abilities that can be used in team battles. I don't see how Yamcha fits that bill, unless he's literally all you have. I think he wouldn't bring to the table anything that Roshi can't do better job of.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:57 pm

MagmonKai wrote:I think I despise Krillin more than Yamcha actually
Why is that?

IntangibleFancy
Regular

Post by IntangibleFancy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:02 pm

MagmonKai wrote:
IntangibleFancy wrote:
Yeah.

Roshi showed us in the RoF arc that he's still a decent fighter. He recently got that miracle weed that made him stronger, and we saw him fight at the Tien Dojo. We haven't seen any meaningful gains by Yamcha in Super to explain why he'd be useful to the team now other than he's "probably" more powerful than Roshi, which I disagree with.

I think Roshi represents the absolute bottom of the significant Power scale our team has. Below him is the others which won't bring any significant gains. Rosh has lots of fighting experience, we don't need another weak fighter at this point we need someone with an acute battle sense, techniques that can exploit weakness in other fighters, and a range of abilities that can be used in team battles. I don't see how Yamcha fits that bill, unless he's literally all you have. I think he wouldn't bring to the table anything that Roshi can't do better job of.
Fair point. But Yamcha has had and does have some notable fighting experience as showed in Dragon Ball. it's just that Z and Super fail to show us that. People are always going about how we haven't seen Yamcha fight since the Saibaman but that's just it. He could of been training for all we know. This arc has pulled out a ton of nonsense things that have made the humans stronger. Yamcha shouldn't be any different.

Side note: If Yamcha gave up on fighting then why does he believe he could hold his own in a universal tournament? Especially after seeing what universe 6 had to offer?

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MagmonKai wrote:I think I despise Krillin more than Yamcha actually
Why is that?
My dislike for Krillin goes back to the Namek Frieza arc when he was proven to be kinda useless--you could say he was the catalyst that triggered Goku's transformation which is about all I see his purpose for in that arc. It's not his fault the show left everybody in the dust when they catapulted Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta leagues above everyone else, but power levels aside:

I don't like how he's become this pussyfooting scared character. In Dragonball he could sort of keep up with Goku and he was really competitive and he was cool. Now he just acts really scared all the time. He don't have a lot of confidence in himself which is a off putting for me. I want to see strong confident fighters.

I grew up on the dub, and I really hated the voice actor for Krillin too. Way too high pitched for a man.

I guess you could say I really liked the Saiyans more than the human cast, because they have transformations that are cool. Krillin has that cool destructo disc technique that I like though, but I wish he was more aggressive and more of confident strong willed character. I might like him more if he was more like Piccolo. He isn't stronger than the Saiyans, yet he still has that bad-ass feel to him you know?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:17 pm

Krillin is the bravest fighter in the series.

YajirobiTheGreat
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YajirobiTheGreat » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Krill in saved the day a few times on Namek. He was far from useless.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 pm

MagmonKai wrote: I don't like how he's become this pussyfooting scared character. In Dragonball he could sort of keep up with Goku and he was really competitive and he was cool. Now he just acts really scared all the time. He don't have a lot of confidence in himself which is a off putting for me. I want to see strong confident fighters.

I grew up on the dub, and I really hated the voice actor for Krillin too. Way too high pitched for a man.

I guess you could say I really liked the Saiyans more than the human cast, because they have transformations that are cool. Krillin has that cool destructo disc technique that I like though, but I wish he was more aggressive and more of confident strong willed character. I might like him more if he was more like Piccolo. He isn't stronger than the Saiyans, yet he still has that bad-ass feel to him you know?
So basically you hate Super's Krillin? I can agree with that. But DB/Z Krillin is far from "useless" like the memes say he is.

And I don't see the issue with Sonny Strait's Krillin being "too high." It's a decent pitch for a man. Now the JP voice is really high-pitched. I like Tanaka's Krillin but she sounds like a kid.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:03 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MagmonKai wrote: I don't like how he's become this pussyfooting scared character. In Dragonball he could sort of keep up with Goku and he was really competitive and he was cool. Now he just acts really scared all the time. He don't have a lot of confidence in himself which is a off putting for me. I want to see strong confident fighters.

So basically you hate Super's Krillin? I can agree with that. But DB/Z Krillin is far from "useless" like the memes say he is.

And I don't see the issue with Sonny Strait's Krillin being "too high." It's a decent pitch for a man. Now the JP voice is really high-pitched. I like Tanaka's Krillin but she sounds like a kid.

Strait's Krillin is like nails on the chalk board for me. The japanese version didn't make him any more manly either.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 pm

MagmonKai wrote: Strait's Krillin is like nails on the chalk board for me. The japanese version didn't make him any more manly either.
Seriously?? I could understand early on, but even now?

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:59 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MagmonKai wrote: Strait's Krillin is like nails on the chalk board for me. The japanese version didn't make him any more manly either.
Seriously?? I could understand early on, but even now?
Yes, It sounds weird to me. Now it's not as rough, but I will always cringe when I hear him on tv.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:39 am

He's probably been a secret prodigy all along.