(Episode 94 spoilers) Frieza's transformation, flashy or show of new power?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

(Episode 94 spoilers) Frieza's transformation, flashy or show of new power?

Post by larzooma » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:27 pm

I offered a few arguments for other character's power level compared to Frieza based on the assumption he didn't gain power during his time in the cocoon after the events of RoF. After seeing the latest episode, do you think his epic transformation indicated an increase in power, or did the animators simply want to show us a flashy power up/transformation? Do you think the writers will give Frieza an unexpected power increase?

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: (Episode 94 spoilers) Frieza's transformation, flashy or show of new power?

Post by Asura » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 pm

I don't think it would make any sense, or even be necessary for that matter, to give Freeza a power increase. He's been stuck inside a cocoon in Hell the entire time so I don't see how he could get stronger. He's probably the third strongest on the team now anyway so it's just not necessary.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:55 pm

He pretty much said his body has gotten soft in Hell. It doesn't make sense to assume he's gotten more power based on this. So, I say he's just being flashy.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:17 pm

I guess we have our answer from 95. Frieza used mental concentration to both eliminate his weakness and apparently increase enough in power to rival Goku. Ugh...I actually thought bringing Frieza back, only to show him he's a middle ground on the team was a great part of the story line. Especially, if he used the realization as his reason to train and grow stronger. I've gone along with the writing up until this point, and never agreed with the "power scaling is cray" fans. This is crazy though. Anything to keep Frieza relevant.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:31 pm

larzooma wrote:I guess we have our answer from 95. Frieza used mental concentration to both eliminate his weakness and apparently increase enough in power to rival Goku. Ugh...I actually thought bringing Frieza back, only to show him he's a middle ground on the team was a great part of the story line. Especially, if he used the realization as his reason to train and grow stronger. I've gone along with the writing up until this point, and never agreed with the "power scaling is cray" fans. This is crazy though. Anything to keep Frieza relevant.
This actually makes sense though. Meditation has always been a form of training, especially since the form was all ki based. He just strengthened his hold on the form, so now he can access it's full power

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:56 pm

I guess we have our answer from 95. Frieza used mental concentration to both eliminate his weakness and apparently increase enough in power to rival Goku. Ugh...I actually thought bringing Frieza back, only to show him he's a middle ground on the team was a great part of the story line. Especially, if he used the realization as his reason to train and grow stronger. I've gone along with the writing up until this point, and never agreed with the "power scaling is cray" fans. This is crazy though. Anything to keep Frieza relevant.
Technically, Freeza only states - and in much detail - has only become "stronger" in relation to managing his energy. He doesn't state he got an actual power "increase" on top of his new form.
Goku then taunts Freeza by adding that he is "not the only one who has grown stronger"; it looks pretty evident that he should be referring to Freeza's improved ability making him an overall "stronger" warrior, not stronger in a physical sense (à la "higher ki").

I'd say with some confidence that the episode reinforced a hierarchy like "100%" Golden Freeza (ROF/Current) = Current SSB Goku > Golden Freeza (ROF, mid-fight) >= SSB Goku (ROF) > Golden Freeza (end of the ROF fight).

Asura

Post by Asura » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:32 am

larzooma wrote:I guess we have our answer from 95. Frieza used mental concentration to both eliminate his weakness and apparently increase enough in power to rival Goku. Ugh...I actually thought bringing Frieza back, only to show him he's a middle ground on the team was a great part of the story line. Especially, if he used the realization as his reason to train and grow stronger. I've gone along with the writing up until this point, and never agreed with the "power scaling is cray" fans. This is crazy though. Anything to keep Frieza relevant.
I could actually buy the meditation allowing him to conserve energy deal. They played it off well and showed how Freeza was a lot calmer and it wasn't just some bullshit convenient explanation that changes nothing.

Nothing will ever be as bad as that 4 months of training nonsense. Quite possibly the lowest point in writing in the entire Dragon Ball franchise.