Can Someone Clarify How Much Toriyama Actually Did in GT, BOG, R'F', and Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Can Someone Clarify How Much Toriyama Actually Did in GT, BOG, R'F', and Super?

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:21 pm

We know he's directly responsible for the story for DB and DBZ (as he did the manga maybe with the minimum help of other editors and writers), but I just want a clear, and straight-forward answer to what he actually did in GT, Battle of Gods/Resurrection 'F' (movie versions), and Super. Instead of researching this myself, I find the answers from you guys more trust-worthy, so yeah... Thanks ig :lol:

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Can Someone Clarify How Much Toriyama Actually Did in GT, BOG, R'F', and Super?

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Someone more informed than me will come along but I'll give a shot with what I know.

GT- He did some character, and planet designs. That's about it. I think he approved some story ideas.

BOG- He basically took an already done script or concept and made a revision of it. Apparently the original version was more serious and Beerus was some lizard/Virus thing.

RF- He wrote the entire thing himself I believe.

Super- He writes basic Plot points and hands them off to Toei and Toyotaro to flesh out. He approves storyboards for the anime (Though I'm unsure if he was doing that from the start or not, I don't think he was.) and chapters for the manga. Even helps out Toyo with gags and panels.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Can Someone Clarify How Much Toriyama Actually Did in GT, BOG, R'F', and Super?

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Boo Machine wrote:BOG- He basically took an already done script or concept and made a revision of it.
He said he changed so many things that it was basically a new story. Everything else you wrote is correct.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:42 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Someone more informed than me will come along but I'll give a shot with what I know.

GT- He did some character, and planet designs. That's about it. I think he approved some story ideas.

BOG- He basically took an already done script or concept and made a revision of it. Apparently the original version was more serious and Beerus was some lizard/Virus thing.

Super- He writes basic Plot points and hands them off to Toei and Toyotaro to flesh out. He approves storyboards for the anime (Though I'm unsure if he was doing that from the start or not, I don't think he was.) and chapters for the manga. Even helps out Toyo with gags and panels.
That's basically correct from my understanding. The only thing I'd add is that I don't believe there's any evidence to say Toriyama approved anything from GT outside of the initial concepts, and that his stories for Super are at the very least influenced by the editorial staff and the DB Room staff. Their specific level of influence is unclear, but we know that they definitely do have some.
Retired.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:43 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Someone more informed than me will come along but I'll give a shot with what I know.

The most accurate appraisal I've seen of Toriyamas involvement of everything.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm not sure RoF is entirely his. For example Shizami is not his character and he had quite a role in the movie. I've also heard there were more Z warriors in the initial draft, but they reduced the number for budget reasons. Not sure about how exact this information is.
Heno heno kappa!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:42 am

Toriyama is responsible for both Shisami's character & Dragon Team's roster (which is identical in the finished work) in his script. Reductions weren't made in that department.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 am

His involvement in GT has been documented here: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/toriyama/#gt

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 am

Nejishiki wrote:Toriyama is responsible for both Shisami's character & Dragon Team's roster (which is identical in the finished work) in his script. Reductions weren't made in that department.
Man, I'm not even sure, as I said. But the link you provided doesn't show anything, maybe the written part that is in japanese? I remember I read that Toriyama designed Sorbet and Tagoma, but not Shizami. I searched for proofs for either way, but I didn't find anything. He is not inclued in his designs of the movie that were made public for start.
Heno heno kappa!

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:09 am

It's merely clarification. The information is in the volume itself, which I've referenced from my copy. As noted, the Shisami character was scripted by Toriyama himself.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:10 am

Nejishiki wrote:It's merely clarification. The information is in the volume itself, which I've referenced from my copy. As noted, the Shisami character was scripted by Toriyama himself.
All right, I'm gonna take your word on this, maybe my memory tricked me or what I read was just wrong.
Heno heno kappa!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:31 pm

GT - Some contribution during the conceptual stages, including providing character designs and concept art; the direction of the story almost certainly came entirely from Toei

Battle of Gods - Originally a Toei concept and script, but Toriyama came on board and did such a heavy revision, the final product is basically his script. Elements such as Super Saiyan God and a god of destruction were retained from the original draft in name and basic concept only.

Resurrection "F" - Script is all Toriyama, baby. Though he largely left the action scenes unspecified, so their details were up to the movie crew.

Super - Toriyama provides both Toei and Toyotaro with an outline of major plot points and character designs. The execution from there is up to them. He appears to be involved in the manga to a slightly greater degree, playing the role of supervisor and at times making direct corrections to Toyotaro's drafts.