Has King Kai essentially been retired?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gig
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Has King Kai essentially been retired?

Post by Gig » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:03 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:We'll probably see more of him soon, since I'm sure Vegeta is going to want to learn how to use kaio-ken eventually, especially if it has anything to do with reaching this new form Goku is going to be using.
Uhm, I find that unlikely. If he wanted to learn "SSBB+KK", he may have done it after the U6 tournament.
Futhermore, Vegeta does not have a way to reach King Kai's planet on his own.

Also, the fact noone else of the Z fighters learned kaiohken during their training with King Kai, makes me think Toriyama thought it as a Goku-only technique. We did not even see King Kai himself performing it!

However, everything is possible... in the manga, Vegeta uses Super Saiyan God (red) form, despite never using the "5+1 saiyans" ritual for himself (although he partecipated to the ritual for Goku)...

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:18 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Snakeway Skywalker wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: I doubt it. I don't see Vegeta ever going to learn that move.
True. Vegeta and Goku moves don't typically cross over, and after training with Whis for awhile, that would be a huge downgrade for Vegeta to train with King Kai on his tiny joke-of-a-planet.
As we saw during Vegeta's training with Whis he has no problem doing any training necessary to surpass Goku, regardless of how ridiculous it seems

This is true, yet at the same time, if he wanted Kaioken, he legit could have asked to go to Kaio's place at any time but didn't.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:19 am

Gig wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:We'll probably see more of him soon, since I'm sure Vegeta is going to want to learn how to use kaio-ken eventually, especially if it has anything to do with reaching this new form Goku is going to be using.
Uhm, I find that unlikely. If he wanted to learn "SSBB+KK", he may have done it after the U6 tournament.
Vegeta currently doesn't know what Goku's doing or where he learned it from, but if he finds out he's going to want to train with Kaio-sama too, so the writers do have a way to bring Kaio back into the spot light if they want to.

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:21 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Gig wrote:
Vegeta currently doesn't know what Goku's doing or where he learned it from, but if he finds out he's going to want to train with Kaio-sama too, so the writers do have a way to bring Kaio back into the spot light if they want to.
Doesn't Vegeta react when Goku first mentions kaioken as if he's heard of it before?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:29 am

Krillin1994 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Gig wrote:
Doesn't Vegeta react when Goku first mentions kaioken as if he's heard of it before?
During Super? That would probably be because he heard Goku saying the name during their first fight

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:33 am

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Krillin1994 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote: Vegeta currently doesn't know what Goku's doing or where he learned it from, but if he finds out he's going to want to train with Kaio-sama too, so the writers do have a way to bring Kaio back into the spot light if they want to.
During Super? That would probably be because he heard Goku saying the name during their first fight
No during their original fight I believe.

Actually scratch that its just a "What!" when he uses it on Nappa. It's more surprise than knowledge of it.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Speaking of which in the Heroes arcade game a character named Shroom was created and he looks to be a "death god" or grim reaper. It'd be nice if an actual character like this helped get souls to King Yemma was created. Or someone Yemma sends after a person thats cheated death more than once. A grim reaper coming to collect his soul or whatever.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Krillin1994 wrote:
No during their original fight I believe.

Actually scratch that its just a "What!" when he uses it on Nappa. It's more surprise than knowledge of it.
I cant remember the sub...but I know in the dub he says hes come across techniques like it before.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Why not have North Kaio become a Attendant for a Kibito (If he becomes a Kaioshin one day) or have him become a Kaioshin?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:21 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:
Snakeway Skywalker wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: I doubt it. I don't see Vegeta ever going to learn that move.
True. Vegeta and Goku moves don't typically cross over, and after training with Whis for awhile, that would be a huge downgrade for Vegeta to train with King Kai on his tiny joke-of-a-planet.
As we saw during Vegeta's training with Whis he has no problem doing any training necessary to surpass Goku, regardless of how ridiculous it seems

To me there's a difference between doing something like that, and trying to copy the exact path the Person you want to beat.

He might develop his own multiplier or something down the road. They won't let him fall freakishly far behind after this arc.
How i predict the tournament will end:

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:09 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Why not have North Kaio become a Attendant for a Kibito (If he becomes a Kaioshin one day) or have him become a Kaioshin?
Well because assuming its still cannon, youre sort of born into your lot in life as a Kaio/Kai.

People use Zamasu to say its been retconned but Zamasu was actually born with a Kaioshin body/design so all it proves is hes a Kaiosin who was born while another Kaioshin was on duty already lol.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Basako wrote:Thinking about North Kaio... Why wasn't he revived when they wished for all killed by Cell to come back to life? Isn't this a plothole?
It's briefly mentioned that he could have gotten revived then but that he chose not to... We got no more information beyond that.
Fansubbers of Kai apparently mistranslated this as saying that he had been revived, which also somehow made it into the dub, adding to the confusion... but yeah, this line was taken word-for-word from the manga, and it was the only explanation we ever got for why he wasn't revived.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:12 am

Vegard Aune wrote:
Basako wrote:Thinking about North Kaio... Why wasn't he revived when they wished for all killed by Cell to come back to life? Isn't this a plothole?
It's briefly mentioned that he could have gotten revived then but that he chose not to... We got no more information beyond that.
Fansubbers of Kai apparently mistranslated this as saying that he had been revived, which also somehow made it into the dub, adding to the confusion... but yeah, this line was taken word-for-word from the manga, and it was the only explanation we ever got for why he wasn't revived.
Hey, thanks. It's strange but not a plothole then. It's unknown what they did in the seven years between Cell and Boo. Maybe he needed to be dead to access some zones of the Othorworld.
Heno heno kappa!