Why so much hate with the Divine forms?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why so much hate with the Divine forms?

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:30 am

From the moment they were revealed, I've always seen a lot of hate about the SSG and SSB transformations (in other communities as well). But I think the most hated is the SSB. He became the "center of attention" after appearing on the RoF and all hatred was directed at him (even with the appearance of SSJ Rosé and SSJ Rage).

So, what do you guys think of the Blue way now? Have your views changed in relation to your first appearance?
Do you like her?
I do not know why, but it has become one of my favorite ways. Its aura is one of the most beautiful of the series and has several details, besides a concept differentiated in relation to the other transformations

Overlord78
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why so much hate with the Divine forms?

Post by Overlord78 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:50 am

No my opinion hasn't changed at all. Both SSG and SSB are still just awful recoloured transformations that had little to no thought put into them. SSJ4 has and always will be the superior transformation compared to them. Maybe this new form that Goku will achieve will actually be good and not just another recolour.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:08 am

Super Saiyan God was awesome. Pure Toriyama in every sense. Simple, completely different to the expectations, and with drawbacks. The best transformation by far, even if I like the design of others more. Super Saiyan Blue had a great concept behind it at first, but since Champa saga is an awful, recolored version of normal SS, that just works as an extra form. It´s even worse that it doesn´t have any drawbacks (except in the manga) Probably the worst transformation, even worse than Super Saiyan 2. Don´t get me wrong, I love its colour, its water like aura in the manga and how it stands more as a separate, powerful form in the manga as well... but it was way better back in ROF before the golden forms returned.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:15 am

I don't like SSJG at all. The lore behind it is stupid, and the ritual is really really stupid.
I do like the design of it (mainly the aura) of SSG and Blue/Rose, but thats about it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:16 am

I don't like Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan and the fact that it's just a recolor but I dig its original concept. The premise of absorbing the power of Super Saiyan God (so that you don't need to perform the ritual again) and using it later on is cool. I just don't think there was a need to color Super Saiyan with other (horrible) color.

As for Super Saiyan God, I don't know. I'm neutral, I guess. I think I would have liked more if Saiyans had less transformations. Now, Super Saiyan God is just a form amidst many other Saiyan forms.

And as for Super Saiyan Rosé... I think I'm neutral too. Probably I would have liked more if Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan hadn't existed, or if it wasn't a recolor of Super Saiyan, now we have two recolors of the first form... That's not very interesting. I liked its aura though.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:50 am

Overlord78 wrote:No my opinion hasn't changed at all. Both SSG and SSB are still just awful recoloured transformations that had little to no thought put into them. SSJ4 has and always will be the superior transformation compared to them. Maybe this new form that Goku will achieve will actually be good and not just another recolour.
Super Saiyan 4 was a stupid looking form that made no sense at all.

Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue have simplistic designs with slight changes just as was the case with pretty much all the other forms.

Super Saiyan was just his hair standing up and turning a different colour. In Vegeta's case his Super Saiyan form was just a recolour. Ascended Super Saiyan was practically the same with slightly bigger muscles. Super Saiyan 2 was practically the same except with slightly spikier hair.

There was a bigger change in appearance with Super Saiyan God than there was with some of these other forms.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:52 am

Overlord78 wrote:No my opinion hasn't changed at all. Both SSG and SSB are still just awful recoloured transformations that had little to no thought put into them. SSJ4 has and always will be the superior transformation compared to them. Maybe this new form that Goku will achieve will actually be good and not just another recolour.
from the beginning saiyan transformations have been about a recolor (not including the great ape), and it makes sense. just because their features don't change much doesn't mean it's a bad transformation. the ss4 makes sense since it requires the tail. it's a transformation based on the mutation of u7 saiyans, but ever since learning that saiyans aren't actually apes or monkeys or whatever, it makes sense that transformations just be recolors. these transformations stay true to who and what they are because they don't change much.

humor me. while keeping in mind that a saiyan's true form is essentially the same as human form, describe to me in words what you would design your own super saiyan god transformation like?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:56 am

I've been disliking the whole SS forms thing design wise the more time goes on. Mostly because 90% of them really are just changing the hair a bit whereas the bad guys like Cell and Freeza (mostly) get actual design alterations when they switch around.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:57 am

I still love ssjg's design. It's cute and dangerous and fire powers and at least in-series self healing ability. Magenta!

I never cared for ssjblue because it was a recolor of ssj1.

And yet, I really like rosé because of how ostentatious it was and how well Gokû Black sold it. It also had the ki hand-sword and later the ki-scythe.

Right now I'm very excited for this upcoming black-purple-with-aqua-highlights form for Gokû. I look forward to having a name to put to it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:56 pm

Chuquita wrote:I still love ssjg's design. It's cute and dangerous and fire powers and at least in-series self healing ability. Magenta!

I never cared for ssjblue because it was a recolor of ssj1.

And yet, I really like rosé because of how ostentatious it was and how well Gokû Black sold it. It also had the ki hand-sword and later the ki-scythe.

Right now I'm very excited for this upcoming black-purple-with-aqua-highlights form for Gokû. I look forward to having a name to put to it.
i'm pretty sure the ki sword and scythe had nothing to do with ssr. zamasu had that technique from the start. and i hope your black purple isn't a spoiler for everyone not wanting to be spoiled.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:02 pm

SSG looks cute and cuteness if not on a female, dosen't earn points form me..

SSB isn't a different form it's SS but blue, It still hasn't grown on me and never will now that the form could be dropped for good anytime..

SSR looks odd and it seems like a forced change in hair because blue and black don't go as well together.. Not a fan of rosé in particular..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:03 pm

SSG - fantastic, great aura! 8/10
SSB - underwhelming but decent. 6/10
Rosé - great transformation, absolutely subarashii ~ love Goku Black, brought a whole new shocking, twisted and beautiful transformation along with the Ki Blade and Scythe, best of all 3 imo. 10/10

#ZamasuDidNothingWrong #BlackIsBeautiful

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:09 pm

I don't care for super saiyan god at all. I don't like it's design even if it has a purpose. Super saiyan blue I grew find of, but probably because I generally like the color blue more than yellow, and I like it's aura more than the standard yellow one. It also has something to do with the mere-exposure effect, probably. I find rosé when surrounded by its aura to look the best, and rage I just think of it as a demigod transformation, but I don't care about it much.
From Super episode 113 thread:
MaskedRider wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
hunduel wrote:I liked this episode. I seriously don't know why people hate it.
namekiansaiyan wrote:I seriously don't see why some of you like this episode when nothing happened and was basically filler.
The fandom in a nutshell.
The duality of man.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:27 pm

People need to make suggestions on what these forms should look like instead of just calling it unoriginal and lazy.
I've seen a lot of fan transformations, and they're usually SSJ4 recolors.
:clap:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:31 pm

Yomi wrote:People need to make suggestions on what these forms should look like instead of just calling it unoriginal and lazy.
They would if the op asked for it..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Yomi wrote:People need to make suggestions on what these forms should look like instead of just calling it unoriginal and lazy.
I'm speaking in general terms, youtube comments, forums, discussion boards.
They're always very quick to call forms unoriginal, and poorly designed, but never offer suggestions for change or improvement.
instead of saying "stop recoloring", I want them to add a caveat to that and say "do this instead".

I want to know what would actually be in the realm of pleasing them.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:37 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:SSG looks cute and cuteness if not on a female, dosen't earn points form me..

SSB isn't a different form it's SS but blue, It still hasn't grown on me and never will now that the form could be dropped for good anytime..

SSR looks odd and it seems like a forced change in hair because blue and black don't go as well together.. Not a fan of rosé in particular..
lol i have no clue what people are talking about when they say ss red is "cute". at least not until i've seen the picture below. anyway, ss red to me looks like the most powerful aura.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Yomi wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
I'm speaking in general terms, youtube comments, forums, discussion boards.
They're always very quick to call forms unoriginal, and poorly designed, but never offer suggestions for change or improvement.
instead of saying "stop recoloring", I want them to add a caveat to that and say "do this instead".
If it's about YouTube comments, my advice would be just give it up, you can't teach people who don't wanna learn..

When normal board discussions take place, serious members usually mention specifically what they don't like about it, remove that and you get what their perfect version of the form would be..

Another reason is, not everyone is creative enough to come up with new designs, they just know what they like and what they don't, both parties can't help it in this case
Kastex wrote: lol i have no clue what people are talking about when they say ss red is "cute". at least not until i've seen the picture below. anyway, ss red to me looks like the most powerful aura.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Didn't you answer yourself?
SSG looks fantastic on a girl because it's big eyes, slim attributes and flowing aura make it a very good form for a female, not so much for a male..
It's the amplification of these attributes which changes cuteness for an character design..

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: Another reason is, not everyone is creative enough to come up with new designs, they just know what they like and what they don't, both parties can't help it in this case
I do wish the criticism was more constructive, and not just beating a dead horse about recoloring all the time. (Usually with some SSJ4 lust in there somewhere)

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:14 pm

I hated only the SS God [red] because the design was... too simply and skinny. I loved the SS Blue since the beginning, but i find that there is too much room to guess about it, we have no clear "information" about what it is, how it is achieved and the power scale of it.

As there is room to guess, i have my own interpretation about the god ki itself, and the Super Saiyan Blue transformation, as i said in another topic:

God KI = The way gods manipulate and use their ki, basically a "style" of ki manipulation. Mortals can be trained to manipulate ki in the same way.
Super Saiyan Blue = a super saiyan transformation where the ki is contained in the body, where the ki is manipulated in the same way gods manipulate their own ki...

Also i think that Goku and Vegeta only know how to perfectly use the god ki while they are transformed, they aren't trained enough to manipulate god ki 100% of the time, in the base, etc.

[spoiler]As we know, in one of the next episodes Caulifla will ask Goku to teach her about how to transform into Super Saiyan Blue. I don't know if she will transform, but i guess that finally we'll have a clear answer about WHAT IT IS that transformation, something more elaborate than the "super saiyan god with a power of a super saiyan" that we saw on RoF[/spoiler]