Universal Survival Arc similar to Hunger Games?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lunaticthegame

Universal Survival Arc similar to Hunger Games?

Post by lunaticthegame » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:14 am

I brought this up a while ago and it got deleted because it was pretty off topic for the moment. But anyways, I'll explain the Hunger Games concept for those not familiar with it.

In Hunger Games, 24 teens (12 boys, 12 girls) from 12 Districts are thrown into a randomly generated arena and forced to fight to the death until only one remains. Aside from the 12 Districts and 12 Universes being similar, I also want to note a few other things.

Universe 2 is considering one of the strongest of the universes. District 2 was the toughest District in the original book (And it is assumed that they are the toughest District overall).

Universe 3 has the smartest intellectuals. Coincidentally, many of the major District 3 characters are known for being pretty smart (It is the one that makes tech after all). Universe 3 used technology to try and gain the advantage in the tournament. The major District 3 characters (In the first two books) did this as well.

In Dragon Ball Super, 4 universes are given a free pass from the ToP. In Hunger Games, 3 Districts are allowed to train themselves for the games.

Also worth noting is that both series, the main characters are from one of the weakest places (Or in Hunger Games case, do the worst in the games). Funnily enough, the 9th Universe/District are the first to get eliminated. Universe 9 was eliminated by the main characters. The death of one of the District 9 kids was done with the help of the main character.

Finally, the main character takes interest in the 11th Universe/District.

These are probably coincidences but I just had to point this out somewhere.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Universal Survival Arc similar to Hunger Games?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:19 am

You mean Battle Royale that the crappy hunger games ripped off lol jk

But I guess I do see it and its in character for Toriyama to do.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 am

The Hunger games ripped off the idea from Battle Royals, you can't rip off a fake.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm

It's really not though.

They are only similar in the way of being a free for all, something that Hunger Games didnt invent.

The rules of this are no killing or weapons, while in the hunger games that wasnt the case, you could even get shit sent to you, and was more an entertainment spectacle like gladiatoral combat than a survival fight to appease the gods

This tournament also lacks the changing environment system and many other things

you might as well call Bleach a DB rip off for having energy attacks at this point

lunaticthegame

Post by lunaticthegame » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Never said it was a ripoff. I'm just saying that there are a few coincidences that are quite similar to the Hunger Games book series.
Like how the universes and Districts are alike in certain ways and how the characters from these places act.

I'm not hating on Super for sounding like another series.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:53 pm

It's been a while since I read The Hunger Games; but I wish this arc was more like it, especially when it comes to the arena. I wanted it to be the games in the original or even the one in Catching Fire. Have the arena take place on an actual planet; be able to hide and take cover in forest areas, have a cornucopia table with weapons and first aid along with some backpacks where you don't know what's in them until you open them, have it broadcasted, have it so people can donate gifts to various contestants they wish to donate to, have there be nature-related dangers like those poisonous berries or wasps or wild animals. It could've been so cool so see that done with Dragon Ball characters!

Instead we just have this boring looking top-shaped arena with nothing to look at. It's dull.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:56 pm

I am not much of hunger games follower, but if these instances you mentioned do match, maybe there could be some more which will match in the future..
Say, if hunger games has more story after these events, how does it progress? That might just give us a clue on which universe is to go next if these aren't coincidences
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:07 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:I am not much of hunger games follower, but if these instances you mentioned do match, maybe there could be some more which will match in the future..
Say, if hunger games has more story after these events, how does it progress? That might just give us a clue on which universe is to go next if these aren't coincidences
Hunger Games only had 2 people per team instead of 10 so that'll effect things, but here's a wiki that lists it: http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Us ... eath_Order

Catching Fire I think had[spoiler]Katniss and Peeta being forced to tour the other districts, but then it's decided that there'll be another Hunger Games where it's between people who've already won previous Hunger Games in the past (I think). It ends with the bad guys kidnapping Peeta while Katniss is rescued by some underground rebellion group and that leads into the massive battle/war that is Mockingjay where Katniss is really past her breaking point mentally and emotionally stress-wise.[/spoiler]
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:I am not much of hunger games follower, but if these instances you mentioned do match, maybe there could be some more which will match in the future..
Hunger Games only had 2 people per team instead of 10 so that'll effect things, but here's a wiki that lists it: http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Us ... eath_Order

Catching Fire I think had[spoiler]Katniss and Peeta being forced to tour the other districts, but then it's decided that there'll be another Hunger Games where it's between people who've already won previous Hunger Games in the past (I think). It ends with the bad guys kidnapping Peeta while Katniss is rescued by some underground rebellion group and that leads into the massive battle/war that is Mockingjay where Katniss is really past her breaking point mentally and emotionally stress-wise.[/spoiler]
Thank you!
I will go through the wiki link you gave, much appreciated
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:38 pm

No. The Universal Survival Arc has more in line with Bokurano, than Battle Royale/The Hunger Games.

gigagoose95

Post by gigagoose95 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:51 pm

This isn't similar to the Hunger Games, but this is more likely similar to Smash Bros.
Fighters from different universes fight in a Battle Royale. The fighters work in teams so its more like a team battle.
The stage is reminiscent to the Final Destination but the difference is that there is a pillar in the middle that serves of a time limit.
The goal is similar to game since the fighters have to try their best to knock off the opponent off the stage and try not to fall off the stage. (Only the difference is that their universe don't get wiped from continuity...)
There is no flying and those who can fly might have some difficulty in doing so.

No items are allowed in the tournament, and the stage doesn't contain some sort of hazards that may result in a Ring Out.

(Right now I am imagining Xander Mobus saying "UNIVERSE 9 DEFEATED".) :o