Worst new character in DBS

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Worst new character in DBS

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:41 pm

There have been plenty of threads discussing the best new character (I think the general opinion leans towards Black, Hit or Beerus), but what about the worst one?

Kale gets my vote. Not for the power nonsense displayed in the latest episode, but for basically being a worse version of Broly, a character that was already terrible to begin with.

precita
Banned

Re: Worst new character in DBS

Post by precita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm not sure, do all the random no-name fodder characters getting knocked out in the tournament count? If so, the green parrot guy? LOL.

If you're speaking of actual "important" characters, I'm not sure. I don't care for Frost, and he's made even more redundant now that Freeza is actually back, even moreso than he was in the U6 tournament. The 3 new Saiyans I could take or leave, they don't really bother me one way or the other.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Monaka for me. Basically Mr. Satan, but with zero charm and not being funny. He's got big man titties....that's it.......
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 pm

To early for Kale hate, once she understands her power more she may grow a set and develop. For me the worst character would be Frost. Personally right now i'm finding him a weaker, dumber, more cowardly Freeza. Meanwhile Freeza is up here creating new plans that have a lot of potential for a future episodes.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:54 pm

The worst? Kale.

Do I really need to say more? Like... Her name carries what there is of bad stuff, if you want to summarize everything, just says "Kale". "What a Kale day", "what a Kale episode".

Anyway, it's Kale, indeed. There wasn't a need to wank a (bad) movie character just because popularity and bringing him through another way just to please his fans. Her character is becoming more and more unbearable and episode 100 of Dragon Ball Super didn't do her justice. Her personality also doesn't help, she just can't go along with her surroundings, she doesn't fit anything, you know. Hopefully she will disappear as quickly as she came.
Last edited by Grimlock on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Doctor. wrote:There have been plenty of threads discussing the best new character (I think the general opinion leans towards Black, Hit or Beerus), but what about the worst one?

Kale gets my vote. Not for the power nonsense displayed in the latest episode, but for basically being a worse version of Broly, a character that was already terrible to begin with.
What so bad about kale to the point of her being a worse version of Broly?

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

I for one believe Kale's characterization makes a lot more sense than Broly :?
The way she deify's Caulifla, the way she slips into a depression every time Caulifla is interested in someone else.
This girl is terribly insecure, shy, and submissive at the same time. That's a mental cocktail for so much pent up aggression.

Broly on the other hand; has a wild hatred for a baby who was crying in a crib next to him 30 years prior.
Yet holds no such grudge against the Vegeta family, with his vivid baby memory.

I know we love to hate shy, whiny characters; but she does have character.
:clap:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:00 pm

pacz360 wrote:What so bad about kale to the point of her being a worse version of Broly?
She has no personality besides being shy (which is constantly pushed in our faces due to her voice, whilst Broly's submissiveness was a lot more subtle) and loving Caulifla, which seems to be the fullest extent of her emotions, just like hating Goku was of Broly's. The key difference is that Broly actually had a somewhat interesting origin story and a more believable motive to transform. It seems unbelievable that she never transformed before this, whilst Broly always had access to his form and it was his father who kept him under control; and it's also unbelievable that she's so weak that she can barely form a Ki blast, yet she still hasn't been knocked out of the tournament, though this is a more minor point.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:05 pm

Doctor. wrote:
pacz360 wrote:What so bad about kale to the point of her being a worse version of Broly?
She has no personality besides being shy (which is constantly pushed in our faces due to her voice, whilst Broly's submissiveness was a lot more subtle) and loving Caulifla, which seems to be the fullest extent of her emotions, just like hating Goku was of Broly's. The key difference is that Broly actually had a somewhat interesting origin story and a more believable motive to transform. It seems unbelievable that she never transformed before this, whilst Broly always had access to his form and it was his father who kept him under control; and it's also unbelievable that she's so weak that she can barely form a Ki blast, yet she still hasn't been knocked out of the tournament, though this is a more minor point.
She does look at caulifla as a big sister/Lil sis thing but I could get what u say
Tho it was mention when she tired to kill cabba that her energy was rising

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:12 pm

It's a bit early to hate Kale and declare her THE worst character IMO. If she continues on "movie 10 Broly" mode where she just screams one name and smashes stuff then yeah, she gets the nod. Hopefully that doesn't happen and she gets to master her transformation or something. I hate her voice though, it brings me Shirahoshi flashbacks :crazy: .
Frost is in a similar spot for me too. I hope he does something that differentiates him from Freeza a bit.

Anyway, as for the worst character in the show, I think I'll go with Monaka. I didn't like his design and he was there just for one joke that was a bit forced and wasn't funny.
I like (or, at least, think they are fine) most of the characters that have been somewhat important but, if we are including characters who had only a couple of scenes, I also really dislike the elephant and robot GoDs, Shisami (he debuted on RoF first though) and that Niggirishi dude that got eliminated today. Botamo too, but he is growing on me, I think the terrible animation from the episode he was in made me dislike him more.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Frost. They absolutely killed what could've been such a fun opportunity with good Freeza. I guess I'm glad they didn't give themselves a chance to overuse him, but... jeez, is he the most redundant thing in the multiverse. Especially so now that Freeza is also here. There has been some potential foreshadowing for a Freeza/Frost alliance, I won't set anything in stone, but as of now, Frost has to be the worst.

Kale is certainly pushing it, though she's not relevant enough for me to call her the worst, unless something's changed since I dropped Super, which was only 3 weeks ago.

Maggeta is the best, btw.
Last edited by Jinzoningen MULE on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:25 pm

Honestly...no one except jelly Vegeta.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:27 pm

MaskedRider wrote:Honestly...no one except jelly Vegeta.
Googeta is my baby. Don't talk badly about him.
~An excuse to use "Googeta" in conversation

In all seriousness, Googeta was just Evil Vegeta with an ugly design and a great Horikawa impression, hardly warranting the title of "worst new character".
Retired.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:29 pm

I don't understand the "it's too early to hate Kale" that people are making up here. Calling a character the worst doesn't equate to "I hate him". :eh: There's no straight connection unless the person makes it clear that he hates it.

Also, if a person is able to like someone at the first sight/without knowing too much and is okay/acceptable, then it's also possible to dislike at the first sight/without knowing too much as well and should be seen as okay/acceptable.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:31 pm

Grimlock wrote:Calling a character the worst doesn't equate to "I hate him". :eh: There's no straight connection unless the person makes it clear that he hates it.
Unless you're a crazy person that likes terrible things or a masochist, there's definitely an implicit connection.
Retired.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 pm

Kale is a strong contender for the worst character, the last thing we needed was a poor man's Broly. Broly should never be outside movies, he has no relevance in a show with plot. Also her tanking SSB kamehameha is also nonsense, but Krillin did it so...

It might be too early to bash Kale but characters like her never become better in Dragon Ball. She's based on Broly who himself would never get better.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:34 pm

I have to say that dinosaur pride trooper that was knocked out in today's episode looked like a 4 year old came up with his design. I hate him for that reason alone.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:37 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Frost. They absolutely killed what could've been such a fun opportunity with good Freeza. I guess I'm glad they didn't give themselves a chance to overuse him, but... jeez, is he the most redundant thing in the multiverse right now. Especially so now that Freeza is also here. There has been some potential foreshadowing for a Freeza/Frost alliance, I won't set anything in stone, but as of now, Frost has to be the worst.

Kale is certainly pushing it, though she's not relevant enough for me to call her the worst, unless something's changed since I dropped Super, which was only 3 weeks ago.

Maggeta is the best, btw.
Yes someone is in the Maggeta master race :thumbup:
    kale, a blander and annoying version of broly
      frost,hes worthless
        cabba,boring as hell,hes essentially an uninteresting version of gohan with the only good thing going for is his relation with vegeta
          champa,an unlikable asshole and a uniteresting version of beerus
            Monaka,a lame gag tbh
            Mostly active on discord.

Grimlock
            Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Unless you're a crazy person that likes terrible things or a masochist, there's definitely an implicit connection.
            What the heck. There are some genre of music that I don't like but I don't actually "hate" it. I just don't like it, it's not my style. That doesn't make me "masochist" nor a "crazy person". So no, labeling something as "the worst" is not the same saying "I hate it" unless the person speaks it out loud.

~ Day of the Machines ~

emi_b7
            Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Grimlock wrote:I don't understand the "it's too early to hate Kale" that people are making up here. Calling a character the worst doesn't equate to "I hate him". :eh: There's no straight connection unless the person makes it clear that he hates it.
            She has been relevant in 2 episodes: 1 to introduce her and show her relation with Caulifla and the 2nd today where they showed her at her Brolyest. So, right now, she is just female Broly, but it's only been 2 episodes. If she gets some character development and masters her SSJ form or whatever, she could be fine and her own character. If she ends up being just Fem Broly as she is right now, then yeah, she sucks. She is barely a character.
            I'm basically hoping that now the Broly homages are out of the way and she becomes more than just a gimmick character. I wouldn't normally have that much faith in Super, but they have already showed us a different, a bit less buff form for Kale, so I'm waiting for that.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your post a bit. When I talk about Kale hate, I'm not just talking about this thread. A lot of people have actually said they hate her in other threads (mostly the announcement thread)
            Last edited by emi_b7 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.