Super after 100 episodes

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Re: Super after 100 episodes

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:09 am

It is a foundationally fucked show. The production committee's garbage planning is the root cause of all of the show's problems. The execution department suffering the most from it.

I like a few things, but the overall picture matters more and I don't see it as a worthy continuation to the original series. The only reason I keep up with it, although I'm not a regular follower anymore and skip around a lot is cause of my fondness for the original voice cast and my interest in behind the scenes stuff.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:41 am

My opinion hasn't changed it's a fun 20 min show of entertainment on a Sunday morning for me. I haven't had this much fun with DB since OG DB, it's hilarious seeing so many people take a show aimed at children so seriously. Discussing the show has definitely been the least fun or enjoyable aspect by far but what can you do.

Overall Super to me is fun and enjoyable and I will continue to support the show as well as legal similcast by buying merchandise and the BDs as well, until I'm not enjoying it anymore. That simple. I don't buy the BS that it is "hard to drop the show" no it isn't.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:49 am

The gr wrote:wow dragon ball super really broke you in episode 97 and 98,you must enjoyed some thing in dbs aside from the in between episode
Of course I don't hate everything, but the ToP was the last of a long list of straws that broke the proverbial camel's back. Things I like include Beerus' character, the atmosphere of RoF, the training in-between BoG and RoF. I liked all of the designs from the original 5 U6 fighters, especially Cabba. I enjoyed the fight between Goku and Frost and the one between Cabba and Vegeta. I really like the concept of Zamasu, a rogue God of Creation out to purify the multiverse is pretty cool, though looking back now, the Goku Black route was total nonsense on a few levels. Though I had my issues with the padding, I enjoyed the Future Trunks Arc until Episode 60, where all of the sudden Goku Black and Zamasu are just memes and there's no internal consistency with anything else in the series until the arc ends. I really like the storyboarding for the series, and the backgrounds for the recruitment were beautiful for the most part. On a really good day, animation is amazing to. My favorite episode from a visual standpoint was as recent as episode 95.

So yeah, it's not like I hate everything, but I dislike or am neutral in regards to most of it. Also, notice that a lot of what I listed as positives are also present in Toyotaro's manga to some degree or another, which, while having issues of its own, it also doesn't suffer any problems even close to the scale of the TV show. So it's not like I hate everything so much I'm just forsaking modern Dragon Ball, I just refuse to waste any more time on something that hasn't earned my attention, and really has no excuse for it.
Retired.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:51 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I haven't had this much fun with DB since OG DB, it's hilarious seeing so many people take a show aimed at children so seriously.
Sorry, but I don't really get this. People act like shows aimed at kids are stupid or don't get serious at all, but that's hardly the case. Kids aren't one dimensional and stupid.

There's numerous shows out there aimed at children that can take themselves seriously. Avatar is a great example along with a lot of the DC animated shows. Especially Batman TAS.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:58 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I haven't had this much fun with DB since OG DB, it's hilarious seeing so many people take a show aimed at children so seriously.
Sorry, but I don't really get this. People act like shows aimed at kids are stupid or don't get serious at all, but that's hardly the case. Kids aren't one dimensional and stupid.

There's numerous shows out there aimed at children that can take themselves seriously. Avatar is a great example along with a lot of the DC animated shows. Especially Batman TAS.
Right, just because a show is aimed at younger audience doesn't mean it has to be mediocre. Or in this case shit.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:08 am

Episode 100 needed to be rewached to fully grasp certain aspects..
Like the yadrat actually teleported away and wasn't knocked out, kale didn't actually hurt SSB goku, cauliflowa is still a complete and utter shit of a character etc..
Top is going great, but episode 100 was mediocre to below average at best..
Let's see how it goes on after this..
Certainly wouldn't want it to go for 700 episodes though, like Masako Nozawa wants..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 am

Bansho64 wrote:

Okay... Where did I say that? All I said is people are taking a show aimed at children seriously. I didn't say cuz it's a childrens show it's has to be stupid... All I'm saying is we are 100 episodes in Dragon Ball Super is Dragon Ball Super it's not "BTAS" people should know why they're getting into it and every week it's evident they are not.

Also I'd appreciate it if you'd quote my entire post next time and then bold the part you are responding too, not just snip it out.
Ki Breaker wrote:Episode 100 needed to be rewached to fully grasp certain aspects..
Like the yadrat actually teleported away and wasn't knocked out, kale didn't actually hurt SSB goku, cauliflowa is still a complete and utter shit of a character etc..
Certainly wouldn't want it to go for 700 episodes though, like Masako Nozawa wants..
What selfish mentality. You do realise that the show can end any time you want it's kinda of secret but I'll let you in on it... You can just stop watching it... Omg shocking am I right?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:14 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: What selfish mentality. You do realise that the show can end any time you want it's kinda of secret but I'll let you in on it... You can just stop watching it... Omg shocking am I right?
What?
Are you misunderstanding me or just trying to be an ass?
I don't want it to go for 700 episodes, someone else does..
How in the world is that being selfish?
I prefer Cabba avatar right now, you don't, omg why are you being so selfish, you can just stop having an avatar am I right??!?
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:20 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Okay... Where did I say that? All I said is people are taking a show aimed at children seriously. I didn't say cuz it's a childrens show it's has to be stupid... All I'm saying is we are 100 episodes in Dragon Ball Super is Dragon Ball Super it's not "BTAS" people should know why they're getting into it and every week it's evident they are not.

Also I'd appreciate it if you'd quote my entire post next time and then bold the part you are responding too, not just snip it out.
I guess you missed the whole "or don't get serious" part of what I said. If you think people should know what type of show it is, fine. I ain't got a problem with that. But why bring the fact that it's a children's show into it? You're original post phrased it like shows aimed at children can't be taken seriously. That's the only part I have a problem with.
Ki Breaker wrote:Episode 100 needed to be rewached to fully grasp certain aspects..
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:What selfish mentality. You do realise that the show can end any time you want it's kinda of secret but I'll let you in on it... You can just stop watching it... Omg shocking am I right?
What? Calm down, he was just saying that he wouldn't want it go own for that long. What's wrong with that? You act like he's saying that people can't enjoy it. If he wants it to stop at a certain point, then that's his opinion. Don't crap on him for it. You're overreacting for literally nothing. Jesus.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 am

Congratulations to Toei, Toriyama, Toyotaro, and namely us. If the Western demographic wasn't so strong, there would be no Dragonball Super.

When Super does things right, it is just as amazing and as magical as when I was a young teen watching DBZ on Toonami. When Super doesn't handle things...well it makes me appreciate GT more. I just wish we could go one arc without something either retconning Z, or making no sense, or just being ridiculous. But no matter what I'm happy Super is around, and I hope there will be another 100 episodes coming.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:43 am

I'm SUPER happy that we've reached this mile stone, and I hope to go for 100 more! I was extremely skeptical when Super was first announced, and when we were informed that it would start off with retellings, my fizzled out. Then I watched the BoG arc, and I was bound, gagged and dragged back in kicking and screaming. Despte the shit-show of RoF, it's been a blast watching Super, and I found myself loving it far more than I ever liked Z (Then again, with Z my opinion was always 1 amazing arc, 1 boring arc, 1 annoying arc and 1 good arc. Where as with Super the only arc I've disliked is RoF), with better writing and character interactions (It made me like Vegeta!), and fights that keep me invested instead of constantly making me want to skip. The Black arc will be one of my favourite arcs of the franchise. While I'm loving the Tournament of Power, unless it does something surprising with the narrative or more with the characters, it'll just be a 'Pretty Good' arc.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 pm

I thought that re-telling the movies was good idea in principle in the fact that not every Dragon Ball fans has seen Battle Of Gods or Resurrection F, so why not give the fans who going into Super without prior knowledge of the movies a bit of an update? It's just that Toei botched the execution of the re-tellings in some areas, especially in regards to Resurrection F. That being said, the ROF retelling did fine tune some issues I had with the Resurrection F movie, even it came at the expense of giving the arc new ones. And regardless of the major misfires of Super's BOG arc, it was a decent arc, and did its job of retelling Battle Of Gods to a practical standard. But the ROF arc still remains the low point of Super.

Super still shows a lot of promise with its lore and can be very engaging, even during it's most uneventful episodes. Hell, some of the most entertaining episodes in all of Super, and Dragon Ball as a whole to be quite frank, have been the slice-of-life/cooldown episodes. But the show overall still has many rough edges with its inconsistent animation, occasionally flat soundtrack and the unappealing current Yamamuro art-style.

Ever since the Champa/Universe 6 arc, more specifically episode 34, the show has really picked up in terms of overall quality. The Future Trunks arc showed in some places the potential of how great Super can be and Tournament Of Power arc has been far more entertaining than its had any right to be and is on track to being my favourite arc in Super one of my favorite arcs in all of Dragon Ball.

Super after 100 episodes is pretty much everything I was expecting it to be when it comes to Toei animating, writing and directing a shonen series: A inoffensive and fun show with some high 'highs' and some low 'lows'. On certain days, when Super wants to be great, it can be really great. But when it's awful, holy shit, is it awful. It's a definitive mixed bag.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:53 pm

precita wrote:
Asura wrote:Decent, but it took way too long to get good. Mostly just absolute trash for over 60 episodes. e.
60 episodes in, we were halfway into the Zamasu arc. You thought it was trash until halfway into Goku black?
Yes. The U6 arc was probably the best consistent arc Super once had, and trash might be a strong word to describe it, but it certainly was not very impressive. It only got interesting once Hit stepped into the fray, otherwise it was all around mediocre. The FT arc was pretty good at first with its mystery, intrigue, and great villain (Black), but they screwed it all up in the end so we can add some of those episodes into the "trash" category too. ToP/Universal Survival arc (dunno what the real term for it is) is the only arc of Super I've definitively liked thus far and the amount of effort they've put into this one far surpasses anything they've ever done with the other arcs. I also greatly enjoy the focus on other characters aside from Goku & Vegeta this arc. It's a very refreshing change of pace.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:16 pm

So the Black arc having an ending you didn't like somehow makes all 30 episodes trash?

PeanutSaiyan
Banned

Post by PeanutSaiyan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:00 pm

100 episodes of bottom of the barrel, forgettable mediocrity. It's a damn shame this was dragonball's comeback. What's even worse, is that moving forward the directors of this franchise have trained their audience to not only accept but embrace the absolutely floor level low standards in production, art, writing, etc. as the"new direction" the franchise is headed towards. These boards are proof of that.

Soulless piece of garbage.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:05 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:100 episodes of bottom of the barrel, forgettable mediocrity. It's a damn shame this was dragonball's comeback. What's even worse, is that moving forward the directors of this franchise have trained their audience to not only accept but embrace the absolutely floor level low standards in production, art, writing, etc. as the"new direction" the franchise is headed towards. These boards are proof of that.

Soulless piece of garbage.
A little harsh. I agreed with almost everything except the last part. Super has its many problems as many members pointed out in detail which I appreciated reading, but no need for that last statement.

Soulless piece of garbage is too strong to use for a show that has a few bright points. But I think your mistake is that you're comparing it to the success of its predecessors, which isn't fair. This is a different time, Toriyama is out of his prime, the industry is far more demanding and rigorous now, and even though the production/art hasn't been as good as it should be, there are many legit reasons for that, you can ask Ajay about this.

Super will never live up to Z or Dragonball, but I'm thankful we have new content and I'll leave it at that.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:21 am

Mixed mixed mixed mixed feelings.
Scheduling is perfect - each time I WANT to see next episode.
Then I feel sad as sometime the potential get wasted for "well known issues".
I think the whole thing ca summarize as "more rational than GT, less serious than Z, chew that steak and be happy".
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:36 am

It's a decent sucessor to the incredible Dragon Ball franchise. DBGT was a horrible way to end Dragon Ball & Super, IMO, has already beated GT in all the ways possible ( story, characters, soundtrack ).

Super already introduced some great characters to the franchise, like Beerus and Black, which are already fan favorites from all the Dragon Ball lore.

People need to understand that Super will never live up to Z or the original Dragon Ball but I'm thankful they are willing to give us new content and most of that content is good.

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:46 am

precita wrote:So the Black arc having an ending you didn't like somehow makes all 30 episodes trash?
No. It would be the fact that a lot of those 30 episodes (it's actually only 20 episodes) were also trash. The time travel complexity was nonsense and the story structure was terrible with them constantly going back and forth. There were a lot of mistakes made during the entirety of the arc, the ending just happens to be the most prevalent mistake.

I think people (such as myself) were really happy and hyped and excited with the arc as it was airing, but when you go back and do a full marathon of it you realize how terrible a bunch of aspects of it were. There were still a lot of cool and good moments though, even if they didn't make much sense like Goku & Trunks vs. Zamasu and Black. Goku and Trunks teaming up for a 2v2 was something I always wanted to see happen in Z but never did so that was cool. I also liked what they tried to do with Trunks' character and the story as a whole seemed rather Gurren Lagann inspired which is one of my favorite animes aside from DB.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:35 pm

Bansho64 wrote: Sorry, but I don't really get this. People act like shows aimed at kids are stupid or don't get serious at all, but that's hardly the case. Kids aren't one dimensional and stupid.

Teen Titans(Original not TTG) was rated Y7 yet it had the perfect mix of seriousness and comedy, a perfect likeable cast and good fighting scenes. For some reason thats how DBS should be after this arc, either do a Planel Salada Arc centered on the Saiyan kids or go beyond EoZ to focus on the next generation.