So judging by pacing, is it safe to say the tournament will go on for around 20 episodes?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So judging by pacing, is it safe to say the tournament will go on for around 20 episodes?

Post by precita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 pm

When the recruitment episodes went on for 10 episodes, people wondered how long the tournament would be. Because more recruitment eps than tournament eps would look lopsided.

Now that we're 5 eps into the tournament, we can see that's not the case. Given how many more characters still have to be knocked out, and we haven't even gotten to the big climatic fights that is bound to happen when there's only around 10 fighters left standing, is it safe to say the tournament is bound to last at least 20 episodes, maybe even more?

The last few fights alone are probably going to be 2-3 episodes each. I think this tournament will go on for 20-25 episodes.

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: So judging by pacing, is it safe to say the tournament will go on for around 20 episodes?

Post by Lionel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:20 pm

It sounds anticlimactic from a conceptual standpoint for a third of the arc to be dedicated just to recruitment. An equivalent allocation of narration time would be if the trip to Namek took roughly a third of the entire arc's length. I would rather see more resources be given to each respective fight, but then I remember how characters are being eliminated so quickly and in such numbers each episode. We're already on the verge of having half removed from the stadium. So it wouldn't surprise me if half or a quarter of the referenced 20 episodes was dedicated to the remaining eliminations of casual fighters before shifting focus to the most notorious faces at the tournament.

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: So judging by pacing, is it safe to say the tournament will go on for around 20 episodes?

Post by Ziegander » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 pm

I won't be surprised if in another five episodes we're already down to the last dozen or so fighters and after that I suppose I would expect maybe 10 to 15 more episodes. They're flying through these fights and they aren't exactly the long, bloody affairs that previous fights in the series have been since many abilities (and killing) are off the table, so I don't expect more than an episode, maaaaybe two, to transpire for anything but the biggest of match-ups (I expect Jiren vs Goku to be a multi-episode affair, but I also expect it to take place before the rest of the fighters have been eliminated).
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 pm

I think 20 episodes is a safe bet given how many fighters have been eliminated so far. But wouldn't be surprised if they milked this tournament Goku/Freeza style and go 30 - 40 episodes.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:29 pm

Well, the spoilers did say that something terrible will happen according to many reputable YouTubers. This can go far longer than twenty episodes if that's the case.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:50 pm

I have no idea, but I don't see much potential in most of who's left in the tournament. Their character designs don't speak of importance to me. If the 5 Pride Troopers go out next episode then that will tell me they won't waste too much time with the fodder of other universes.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Simere wrote:I have no idea, but I don't see much potential in most of who's left in the tournament. Their character designs don't speak of importance to me. If the 5 Pride Troopers go out next episode then that will tell me they won't waste too much time with the fodder of other universes.
This is honestly nonsense, any one who's familiar with Toriyama's works or DB in general would know that having an simplistic or non imposing design means absolutely nothing. Hell, Jiren who's been hyped as the big adversary for Goku in this arc doesn't look special once so ever design wise.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:00 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Simere wrote:I have no idea, but I don't see much potential in most of who's left in the tournament. Their character designs don't speak of importance to me. If the 5 Pride Troopers go out next episode then that will tell me they won't waste too much time with the fodder of other universes.
This is honestly nonsense, any one who's familiar with Toriyama's works or DB in general would know that having an simplistic or non imposing design means absolutely nothing. Hell, Jiren who's been hyped as the big adversary for Goku in this arc doesn't look special once so ever design wise.
Yeah, I have no familiarity with DB. I only found this forum through StumbleUpon and have been making it up as I go.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:34 pm

I imagine the arc will at least last through December with the way the series is unfolding. It would also leave Nagamine with some extra time to work on the finalé of the tournament with more staff available to him. February will see the ending and beginning of a new PreCure, so that will hurt his the series if it tried to end within the Winter 2018 season.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 pm

I think it will end sometime during Fall. October end or early November is a safe bet. That'd be more than enough as far as I'm concerned.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:11 pm

I don't want it to go on that long, but October or November, probably.

I hope all future arcs aren't this long. Not a fan of "and this arc takes a whole year almost".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:37 am

Simere wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Yeah, I have no familiarity with DB. I only found this forum through StumbleUpon and have been making it up as I go.
Yet you're making laughable statements trying to base a characters importance solely on their designs

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:05 am

Simere wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Wait, what? Huh? How come you posted 617 times if you know very little about the series. That is a significant amount of posts for something you are not familiar with.

Anyways, yeah, I would say the arc will end around Halloween.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:47 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Simere wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote: This is honestly nonsense, any one who's familiar with Toriyama's works or DB in general would know that having an simplistic or non imposing design means absolutely nothing. Hell, Jiren who's been hyped as the big adversary for Goku in this arc doesn't look special once so ever design wise.
Yet you're making laughable statements trying to base a characters importance solely on their designs
Well, laugh it up, but being mocked for something I sincerely believe only makes me believe it more. You might not see something unique about Jiren, but I see a specialness in him that I don't see in most the others. It's not about how imposing they do or don't look, it's that feeling you get when you look at a character and know they're different from the nameless NPCs that surround them; that more than the baseline amount of effort went into their placement in the world, some extra thought. A spark of character.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Simere wrote:but being mocked for something I sincerely believe only makes me believe it more.
Where's the sense in that?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Simere wrote:but being mocked for something I sincerely believe only makes me believe it more.
Where's the sense in that?
Because mocking isn't an argument. I'm losing my patience here with these easily answered questions. You know, that sentence was originally "Their character designs don't speak of importance.", but I added the "to me" just in case anyone was petty enough to take issue with it. Do I next to have to explain what a subjective impression is?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:19 pm

I think the tournament might be closer to 30 episodes. We still have more than half the characters waiting to go down. Then we get down to the last 10 or so fighters, I expect longer more involved fights that go on 2-3 episodes each.

The final fight of the tournament itself is bound to last at least 3-4 episodes.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:51 pm

I really hope that the tournament doesn't go past 20 episodes. It would be way too drawn out and people would start to lose interest.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:39 am

There's still 50 something participants in the tournament left. Unless like 10+ go down in a single episode in the future, I imagine we're in for quite a long ride yet.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:08 am

Simere wrote:If the 5 Pride Troopers go out next episode then that will tell me they won't waste too much time with the fodder of other universes.
Having been told, I'd say 15 more episodes at most, assuming no shakeups. Figuring out how much time they're going to spend on U6 is the hard part.