What's your opinion on Toyotaro?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What's your opinion on Toyotaro?

Post by Boo Machine » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I think he is a really good artist that could stand to take a few more risks. He says he follows Toriyamas outline very closely but I think he should use more of his own ideas. That part where Vegeta Pops in and out of Blue at the moment he attacks Black. That was really cool, and more creative than just "Vegeta is stronger now because training, or I have a new form so now you're fucked." Trunks having a healing ability! Love. He should take more risks like the anime does. Depending on who you are some of the risks may or may not have worked out, but at least they try. Because as cool as the manga got once it hit the Future Trunks arc, it's still a little underwhelming in places.

As some others have said, he plays it a little too safe at times, and it, sometimes, fails to leave an impression. Battle of Gods was just a summary (Understandable), ROF was skipped (Also understandable), U6 was so quick and didn't do much that the only thing I really thought was cool was the reintroduction of SSJG. Much appreciated. And the only cool memorable parts I loved in the future trunks arc in the manga were in the very last parts of the arc with the one exception being Trunks sacrifice in the middle of it which I thought was great. I want more character moments that make me care about them and like them and about what's going on.

As an artist , I think he is fine. He emulates Toriyamas style pretty well, but I would never mistake him for Toriyama. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. And as creative as he gets with an idea or two I'd prefer it if he got more creative with his panels. There are a lot of moments where something should have been a cool reveal, and it was just a plain front view drawing. Not asking for a dynamic, artistic shots that conveys a thousand emotions. Just for a little more.

In short, I think Toyotaro is alright. But he could be much better, and I hope he continues to improve.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I don't think anyone is saying otherwise but this thread isn't talking about the anime and just because the anime does it shouldn't negate the fact it's a criticism of the Toyotaro aswell.
No I'm just mentioned that because I don't want sound like a hypocrite in my post,both version of super does this,I do agree Toyotaro and his homage are annoying and make his figth bad like that one shot goku vs zamas copying mystic gohan vs super buu looks off,is a habit of his and he will never stop with this so I'm not letting a free pass with this
PeanutSaiyan wrote: As far as his art being sloppy, I think me and others who read the manga have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. Not only do the characters sound and act like themselves, but they also look like themselves. Consistently. I personally prefer Young Jiji but hell if Toyo didn't draw the fuck out of that last battle. The dynamism, composition, and fight choreography throughout most of the manga has been top notch. Again, I don't know what the fuck you're reading,
:
vegeta vs black round 2 looked bad compared to their first match,that match looks off,the art wasn't that good and ssg vegeta looked creepy in some pages,the concept is cool but the way he executed is left to be desired,I really hope the manga revisit this strategy again because it has potential
Mostly active on discord.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:23 am

Twenty years from now, I expect that the DBS manga will be looked upon as having been much better than such a product should have been. Toriyama made a great choice in terms of his chosen successor.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

PeanutSaiyan wrote:There is so much bias in your posts it's so hard to take them seriously. First and foremost you keep bringing up this "homage" argument in almost every post. You might want to check the anime on that one. Whereas the anime gives you in your face, shot for shot fanservice (which is laughably worse than the original), Toyo either references panels due to lack of creativity or inserts a throwback for fans of the manga. Tastefully, might I add. (I think it's a mix of both tbh) You need to stop clinging to that argument because if you're driven crazy by a panel here and there that looks similar to a manga drawn over 2 decades ago to the point where you claim it's unreadable, you are wearing some crazy hate goggles my friend. And it's obnoxious. You've gone as far to say that he has no talent whatsoever as an artist and frankly that is so objectively wrong on so many levels and you come across as a child. So stop.
This type of personal bile towards someone for expressing an opinion isn't welcome at all. Take it down a few notches.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:14 pm

I think Toyotaro is exceptionally gifted when it comes to drawing Dragon Ball. He does a really good job, I love his art and style, it definitely mimics Toriyama's current style (my favorite) in some significant ways. This alone makes the manga 1000x better than the anime, imo.

On top of that, Toyotaro's story telling is far from perfect, but you can tell he knows a lot about the series and tries to include as much as he can to make the story as coherent as he can. That said, I don't watch and read Dragon Ball for the story; I want Fights and Cool art. Toyotaro delivers in spades on that front. The fights always look cool.

I find it incredibly difficult to criticize successful professionals. It makes me uncomfortable doing so. I would much rather just let the artists work and see what they come up with and judge the finished product. It took years for Toriyama to become the man we knew at the heights of his greatness.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:12 pm

I think when I express my opinions on the manga chapters I come across very negative torwards him and his work, but honestly I like both. I enjoy the anime a lot more, just to put it out there, but I also think that the Super manga is good in it's own right, for different reasons and is definetly great to see how else you can make the story. As a fan of the Dragon Ball manga I am also happy Toriyama's ideas are implemented in this medium too and the fact Toyotaro puts a different spin on things also makes it worthwhile to read and keep up with it. If it kept being a promo manga like in the beginning it's welcome would have worn out fast but it's his talent that managed to make it an actual competent story.

His art is beautiful when he has time to pull it of and he can surely deliver great action, mostly in the third act of the stories. However, his early build up fights and early visual storytelling usually dips below his maximum potential. A lot of his paneling and composition is quite boring and in a comic format that's more than half of the storytelling. That is my biggest gripe with his manga. In a comic book, the gaps between panels are filled by the imagination of the reader and constructing a page is very important, probably more than the actual artwork, in order to create an engaging story.
To use quite an exaggerated example, but one that showcases my point very well, is ONE of One Punch Man fame. His drawings suck, hard. But the guy has such a sharp eye for storyboarding and paneling that you can't deny his talent as a mangaka. This is something Toyotaro lacks and he suffers for it.

Which kinda ties into my next point. His past as a fan manga creator shows in both artwork and writing. Official or not, the Super manga's most prevalent issue is how confined in it's own universe is. It is just too safe for it's own good. The problem with most fan works is that they don't take risks and only play in confines of established rules, as if the universe the story takes place in is sacrosanct and should not be challenged in any way. That's why Toyotaro's fanservice moments usually fall flat on their ass; you've seen everything before: God Goku in U6, God Vegeta, Goku's Hakai, Merged Zamasu throwing Katchin blocks etc. Those are not exciting.
And since he doesn't take risks with the story, he doesn't have to take any with his artwork either. It's good, it looks good, it is tighter in it's writing, but you aren't sucked into any of it.
Him being such a big fan and getting to finally work into the series that he loves kinda works against him, because he loves everything a little too much.

Also, I got used to it and accepted it as a reality that doesn't need harping on everytime it happens, but his "homages" are a little too obvious and it wouldbe dishonest not to mention. People in this thread are calling out the anime for the same thing, but it's hardly fair. Toyotaro includes them in every single chapter and a lot of times you can tell it's not in order to homage anything, but to go unnoticed and look cool. The anime includes some very rarely and very obviously that they're references. Again, tying into the paneling thing. He is quite limited in this department and that's why he probably resorts to this kind of stuff.

Once he will get to do his own thing, he'll probably grow a lot more, but right now he just feelslike Toriyama's stand in cause he doesn't want to draw manga anymore, rather than a true successor.
That's why I am very excited with how the Tournament of Power will be handled in the manga. He seems to have had a fair share of imput on the story and the Battle Royale feeling will probably be conveyed much better in static panels than it does in the show's limited animation. And with this, he might get to improve on all the problems I talked above. It's his chace to truly prove his worth as more than "that quite talented guy that draws Toriyama's story" and I'll certainly be there to witness his progress (hopefully).
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Fantastic artist, lacking author. He tries to keep some consistency/logic intact but in actuality instead makes his own errors. And there are a lot, no matter if his fans want to see them or not.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:47 pm

Toyotaro is good as an artist an good as a storyteller. He many times brings the clarity and consistency the anime lacks, keeping the interest in all moment. He is the right successor, he has proven himself, the manga has grown from promotional to its own thing and he is now getting involved in the creation of characters too.

Toriyama can continue providing stories and ideas for a long time, he is not that old, he just doesn't want to make the manga anymore. But if he passes the torch completely, it's going to be Toyotaro, he speaks greatly about him. He gave a chance to Toei once, we got GT, it didn't work out.
Heno heno kappa!

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:18 pm

I really love the DBS manga. I personally don't mind certain homages, like Vegeta using the attack he used on Nappa to threaten another Saiyan with a cabbage name pun, or Trunks grabbing the sword from Dabura. Even other re-used poses are fine with me because they look great. I think a big reason why people feel like the manga lacked tension was due to us knowing the ending of the arc for the most part from the anime, but the manga still had the time machine Zamasu had that told us "Zamasu needs to be dealt with NOW." His choreography is miles above Toei's honestly, with the scene of Zamasu portaling Goku back to him with his kicks just looking amazing.

I see some people saying Toyotaro needs to take more risks, but honestly I feel like how he makes his power-ups consistent and forces certain characters to come up with or use their abilities rather than just making them astronomically strong is enough. Like Hit and Future Zamasu weren't nearly as strong as Super Saiyan God, but were able to briefly able to hold their own by making great use of their abilities, which means something in the manga because Super Saiyan God and SSGSS are still seen as transformations of astronomical power that nears the Destroyer Beerus, and Vegeta had to learn to overcome SSB's weakness by devising a new technique to switch from SSG to SSB, rather than just getting stronger in the time machine again. Meanwhile Mastered SSB isn't really a "stronger" Super Saiyan Blue but one that doesn't LOSE its power. Not to mention how Fused Zamasu makes proper use of his abilities as a Kai fused with his abilities as a Saiyan. While some people hate the Katchin blocks, I will say that the scene of Vegito charging the Kamehameha while gigantic cubes were suspended in the air around Zamasu. I think Toyotaro "playing it safe" is actually what forces him to come up with some of these great ideas.

I also generally enjoy how even things like the Hakai and Trunks' healing powers were foreshadowed beforehand, even if they came unexpectedly. While Toyotaro still has room for improvement, me and my friends that I've gotten to read the manga have been loving it. I just wish it was weekly and more parallel with the anime's story. It's definitely my favorite version of the Black arc by far though, and I wish they'd use that version of Fused Zamasu and Goku for things like Dokkan Battle, Heroes, or Xenoverse.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:28 pm

Draconic wrote: Which kinda ties into my next point. His past as a fan manga creator shows in both artwork and writing. Official or not, the Super manga's most prevalent issue is how confined in it's own universe is. It is just too safe for it's own good. The problem with most fan works is that they don't take risks and only play in confines of established rules, as if the universe the story takes place in is sacrosanct and should not be challenged in any way. That's why Toyotaro's fanservice moments usually fall flat on their ass; you've seen everything before: God Goku in U6, God Vegeta, Goku's Hakai, Merged Zamasu throwing Katchin blocks etc. Those are not exciting.
And since he doesn't take risks with the story, he doesn't have to take any with his artwork either. It's good, it looks good, it is tighter in it's writing, but you aren't sucked into any of it.
Him being such a big fan and getting to finally work into the series that he loves kinda works against him, because he loves everything a little too much.
I don't think we seen god Vegeta or Goku Hakai,I mean no one predicted those moments especially Goku Hakai,that shit was crazy,aren't you referring these moment are not original when compared to let's say black dimensional knife or mz attack in up 65-66

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:54 am

Average artist and poor story teller. He tries hard but a lot of the things he does dont make sense but seem "cool". The anime does the same, its not a comparison so dont make it one. I'm basing off his work alone.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:22 pm

I really think he should work on something that isn db or AT related,that would trully be the best way to judge his writing skill advantage or flaws

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 pm

My opinion goes up and down. Kinda down this month because of the parenting thing with Gokû and Vegeta. The anime handled it better imo.

Could always go up again. He brought ssjg back a year before the show did after all. That I liked.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:08 pm

I like him as a person and I REALLY want to like his work but its not pulling me in. I'm fine with him being different than the anime but I felt what he did with the FT arc is an example of how "how worse could it get?" be.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:18 pm

His stuff is basically published fanfiction. Best way to describe him: The fanfiction man.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:26 pm

precita wrote:His stuff is basically published fanfiction. Best way to describe him: The fanfiction man.
Unfortunately Toriyama's new ideas have been no better. Evil Goku, Multiversal Tournaments, fighting gods and evil gods, and the feel of most of the new characters all seem like fan created stuff. Some of those ARE Toyo's ideas lol. Hell, all the characters in the U6 tournament looked like Xenoverse CaCs. I do think Toei and Toriyama have nailed the character moments though. I'm thinking the praise should go to Toei mostly there, but am not sure.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 pm

I feel like I don't look at the manga carefully enough to really analyse his pros and cons, but maybe that's a problem? When reading the manga feels like a chore to me, I feel like he's doing something wrong.

I think my problem with Toyotaro being the successor to Toriyama is that he cares too much. Toriyama didn't care about upsetting fans, mixing up the status quo, changing things so it'd be easy to draw, and just generally not doing what you'd expect. Whereas Toyotaro cares so much about Dragon Ball he needs to make sure every possible plot point is a part of the canon, and even his original ideas are really just expansions as to what was already in the series. He feels like a fan first, and a creator second. And I don't know if that's the best person to continue the franchise under. Things may be internally consistent, but they can get boring.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:29 am

Toyotaro is a fan of dragon ball, but he is exactly what happens when you let a fan write the series which is why many fans like the manga better.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:41 am

precita wrote:His stuff is basically published fanfiction. Best way to describe him: The fanfiction man.
Totamo wrote:Toyotaro is a fan of dragon ball, but he is exactly what happens when you let a fan write the series which is why many fans like the manga better.
Well, Toshio is a fan too, does that this make his episodes TV released fanfiction? Nah.

Toriyama writes the plot, that makes a difference for start. It's not a fanfiction story, although some of the plots look like that sometimes. I mean, Freeza returning, Trunks returning, an evil Goku, a multiversal tournament and so on. Then Toyotaro and Toei come to the picture. Dragon Ball Super manga is not fanfiction, Toriyama supervises Toyotaro's work himself, making corrections and changes. It's a midquel to the original Dragon Ball manga.

DB After, Toyotaro's and Young Jiji's, those are fanfiction. DB Multiverse too. Yamcha's manga is fanfiction too, even if it's officially published. Nothing against any of those, they are quite cool in general, but non of them are Toriyama's story, like DB Super.

And, ehem, the Kaioken return or Ginyu the frog story, these are Toei only and they scream fanfiction from every pore.
Heno heno kappa!

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:12 am

MozillaVulpix wrote:Things may be internally consistent, but they can get boring.
I've been trying to articulate this point, but never knew how to word it. I wholeheartedly agree
:clap: