Why Goku is getting a lot of attention?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: Why Goku is getting a lot of attention?

Post by Jigurashi » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Boo Machine wrote:Because Goku is the Man, The myth, The legend, THE ONE AND ONLY.

And he is damn handsome to boot.

Also is it really so odd that the main character gets main focus?
I can see why people take issue, but no it isn't odd. What really gets me confused is how some fans in this fanbase always complain about Goku winning all the time, or talk as if his privileges as a main character are any worse than what other MCs get. For an MC, Goku loses pretty damn often.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 pm

I don't know of any other series where people complain about the main character having screen time and wins except for this one.

It seems like ever since Gohan beat a main villain in Cell, people feel like other characters besides Goku need to beat a main villain as well, Vegeta in particular.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Other characters are getting spotlight but the main character is the most important. That seems fine tbh.

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 pm

It seems that there is difficulty understanding what I mean ...

I'm saying that at the beginning of the tournament, it should be focused on exploring other characters. They are giving Goku a lot of attention, and he does not need it NOW because he has had 7 fights before.

We know he's going to be the finalist, what's the problem with highlighting other characters now and then back at him?

WHAT IS THE DIFFICULTY UNDERSTANDING THAT? I know he's the protagonist.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Because its Goku lol wtf? Honestly some of the best parts of Z was when Goku wasnt around.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:11 am

This aint Z though, that portion has long past. Like it or not the "Z" portion of the story where Gohan and others where going to be successors has been dropped.
Goku is the main character and I don't see that aspect being toyed with again unless Toriyama is willing to ever let Goku become a old man in ongoing stories.

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:54 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:It seems that there is difficulty understanding what I mean ...

I'm saying that at the beginning of the tournament, it should be focused on exploring other characters. They are giving Goku a lot of attention, and he does not need it NOW because he has had 7 fights before.

We know he's going to be the finalist, what's the problem with highlighting other characters now and then back at him?

We just had a episode focus on u2/17 and we're getting a Gohan one next week. They're doing exactly what you want...

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 am

Because he's privileged! The writers feel they have to have Goku in an episode in some form regardless of whether or not it makes sense to do so. They aren't confident in building up the side characters and having them kick ass without Goku being involved in the episode.

At this point I really hope Goku gets sidelined somehow so we can have other characters fight and be important, instead of the likely scenario of Goku from episode to episode pinning for the attention of his new rivil! Thats all this tournament is at this point! Then again they don't call this "The Goku and that other Guy show (Feat: A bunch of worthless fodder)" for nothing.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:07 am

Because he's the main character.

/thread

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:38 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:Because he's privileged! The writers feel they have to have Goku in an episode in some form regardless of whether or not it makes sense to do so. They aren't confident in building up the side characters and having them kick ass without Goku being involved in the episode.

At this point I really hope Goku gets sidelined somehow so we can have other characters fight and be important, instead of the likely scenario of Goku from episode to episode pinning for the attention of his new rivil! Thats all this tournament is at this point! Then again they don't call this "The Goku and that other Guy show (Feat: A bunch of worthless fodder)" for nothing.
This is true to an extent, but greatly exaggerated. He barely played a role in 97, 99, 101, or 102. Considering we're only 6 episodes into the tournament so far, that's a majority of the ToP he barely played a part with other characters looking good without him really doing anything to prevent that.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:25 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:Because he's privileged! The writers feel they have to have Goku in an episode in some form regardless of whether or not it makes sense to do so. They aren't confident in building up the side characters and having them kick ass without Goku being involved in the episode.

Yeah lets just have Goten become SSG and fight Beerus.

Lets have Gohan fight Golder Frieza....oh yeah.

Lets have Vegeta take Hit! Oh he tried....and Vegeta did the lifting this arc.

Trunks probably should have gotten Piccolo and Roshi to fight Black/Zamasu as well.

Then as mentioned hes barely been featured 4 of 6 episodes since the TOP started.

So I'm not really sure what you want from the show.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 am

GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Trunks probably should have gotten Piccolo and Roshi to fight Black/Zamasu as well.

Then as mentioned hes barely been featured 4 of 6 episodes since the TOP started.

I would like it if they had properly built up other characters so they could make a decent contribution. They did it with Trunks but it came out of nowhere, is unexplained and honestly doesn't make any sense. They had the opportunity with Krillin, but they wasted it. They could still do something with Gohan. The problem I have with the show is it feels they have to have Goku in every episode somehow. I would just like to have an episode where Goku and Vegeta don't take any screen time from the side characters and overall the tournament just feels like it's following Goku and his unrequited love for Jiren, which I hate. This is a battle royal so I was kinda hoping for more action from people that aren't Goku and Vegeta.

Also the side characters don't have to face the big baddy of the arc. I just want to feel like they matter at the very least, have them weaken the big bad that would otherwise be too strong, cause a diversion, stall them (without it being some huge gag). If I HAVE to put up with Goku I just want to feel like the characters other than Goku and Vegeta matter honestly, I don't think they can do that if those 2 are there because Goku and Vegeta are so far ahead of everybody.
Last edited by Shaqazooloo on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 am

Because he's the main character.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:49 am

emperior wrote:I wished they used the hero-on-hiatus thing they used to do for Goku. It made him much more important and charismatic. Though it obviously wouldn't make too much sense in this tournament, and it sort of happened in the last tournament as Goku was sidelined for a few episodes after his fights with Frost.
Though Toei is really over-using Goku in this arc. But I don't complain, I've been liking him a lot.
No, it made Goku a plot device instead of an actual character.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Mercenary
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mercenary » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:59 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

I would like it if they had properly built up other characters so they could make a decent contribution. They did it with Trunks but it came out of nowhere, is unexplained and honestly doesn't make any sense. They had the opportunity with Krillin, but they wasted it. They could still do something with Gohan. The problem I have with the show is it feels they have to have Goku in every episode somehow. I would just like to have an episode where Goku and Vegeta don't take any screen time from the side characters and overall the tournament just feels like it's following Goku and his unrequited love for Jiren, which I hate. This is a battle royal so I was kinda hoping for more action from people that aren't Goku and Vegeta.

Also the side characters don't have to face the big baddy of the arc. I just want to feel like they matter at the very least, have them weaken the big bad that would otherwise be too strong, cause a diversion, stall them (without it being some huge gag). If I HAVE to put up with Goku I just want to feel like the characters other than Goku and Vegeta matter honestly, I don't think they can do that if those 2 are there because Goku and Vegeta are so far ahead of everybody.

#17 matters, Gohan will matter soon and most probably Frieza, so I don't know what's your point. Piccolo also may get a chance.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:02 am

HeroR wrote:
emperior wrote:I wished they used the hero-on-hiatus thing they used to do for Goku. It made him much more important and charismatic. Though it obviously wouldn't make too much sense in this tournament, and it sort of happened in the last tournament as Goku was sidelined for a few episodes after his fights with Frost.
Though Toei is really over-using Goku in this arc. But I don't complain, I've been liking him a lot.
I think I liked Goku more when he was a plot device honestly. I never thought I would actually start hating Goku until I started watching Dragon Ball Super. It's gotten to a point where I don't want to see him in any way, shape or form, which makes me really sad. I feel like I have to rewatch Dragon Ball GT because of this. I have to know whether this is a Super thing or I genuinely hate Goku.
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:19 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:It seems that there is difficulty understanding what I mean ...

We just had a episode focus on u2/17 and we're getting a Gohan one next week. They're doing exactly what you want...
Furthermore Goku was non-existent in the Krillin episode, the previous episode while he was there the episode wasn't really about him but more #18, Kale and Caulifla. The U9 battle and the Saiyan's clash were really the only episodes that were distinctly about Goku.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:20 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I think I liked Goku more when he was a plot device honestly. I never thought I would actually start hating Goku until I started watching Dragon Ball Super. It's gotten to a point where I don't want to see him in any way, shape or form, which makes me really sad. I feel like I have to rewatch Dragon Ball GT because of this. I have to know whether this is a Super thing or I genuinely hate Goku.
Why would you watch GT to check that?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 am

Shaqazooloo wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

I dont disagree they can/should be used. I'm a Goten fan...imagine being a Goten fan. When he does get a line its just about Kid Trunks.

I just think some people, not you, take it a bit overboard.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:43 am

Simere wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Why would you watch GT to check that?
GT was entirely focused around Goku pretty much. Now I suppose I could also watch Dragon ball for that, but I honestly really wanna rewatch GT, because I want to see which one I enjoy more. I remember actually enjoying GT quite a bit more than Super, but I haven't watched it in a while so it may just be that i'm more critical now, this is just another excuse that will hopefully get my procrastinating ass to actually follow through so I can compare.
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu