Do you think Gohan will be important/relevant after this arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lapislettuce
Banned

Re: Do you think Gohan will be important/relevant after this arc?

Post by Lapislettuce » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:04 pm

precita wrote:
Slaythe wrote:
precita wrote:Gohan's return is something that was too popular to let go. I don't see him not being involved again.

I think what people should expect is Krillin and the Androids fading into obscurity again. I fully expect 17 to just go back to his island and never be heard from again after this arc.
Yeah not happening.

1) Pan is there, so she'll take Gohan's spot as main character. That doesn't mean Gohan won't do stuff from time to time.

2) 17 is a loner, that doesn't mean he's never gonna come back or ever participate. He ages very slowly, has a new found popularity and is one of the strongest characters. It's dumb to expect him to disappear forever. Why do you think they brought him back at all ? They're course correcting, just let they did with Gohan.
The next arc, whatever it is, is likely not going to have a huge cast again. It'll probably be more like the Zamasu arc and only focus on a small handful of characters. I really don't see 17 being involved much, at all, again, but I think the same for Krillin and 18 too if I'm being fair.

This universe survival arc seems like it's a "last hurrah" for the older DBZ cast. I think after this they'll jump ahead to EOZ and focus on Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub as the new main heroes.
So much idiotcity ! 17 is not 18 and he's not Krillin !! 17 as i said is one of the most relevant characters strength wise, and the way they're writing him it's obvious they're being very dedicated to his character making tons of people liking him only by being in 50% of time on an episode, the producer likes him, Toriyama brought him back for a reason, he's basically becoming the Kakashi/Levi kind of character of the series. they won't drop him, he will be relevant from time to time just like now. when he's needed.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:35 pm

Maybe it depends if Barry Kahn and Cocoa Amaguri return to the Great Saiyaman's life.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:11 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
precita wrote:
Slaythe wrote:
Yeah not happening.

1) Pan is there, so she'll take Gohan's spot as main character. That doesn't mean Gohan won't do stuff from time to time.

2) 17 is a loner, that doesn't mean he's never gonna come back or ever participate. He ages very slowly, has a new found popularity and is one of the strongest characters. It's dumb to expect him to disappear forever. Why do you think they brought him back at all ? They're course correcting, just let they did with Gohan.
The next arc, whatever it is, is likely not going to have a huge cast again. It'll probably be more like the Zamasu arc and only focus on a small handful of characters. I really don't see 17 being involved much, at all, again, but I think the same for Krillin and 18 too if I'm being fair.

This universe survival arc seems like it's a "last hurrah" for the older DBZ cast. I think after this they'll jump ahead to EOZ and focus on Trunks, Goten, Pan and Uub as the new main heroes.
So much idiotcity ! 17 is not 18 and he's not Krillin !! 17 as i said is one of the most relevant characters strength wise, and the way they're writing him it's obvious they're being very dedicated to his character making tons of people liking him only by being in 50% of time on an episode, the producer likes him, Toriyama brought him back for a reason, he's basically becoming the Kakashi/Levi kind of character of the series. they won't drop him, he will be relevant from time to time just like now. when he's needed.
17 is nowhere important to the main cast as Krillin, or even 18, no matter how powerful he is.

Do you seriously believe 17 is going to constantly fight or be part of the story in every arc going forward? Probably not.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:23 pm

precita wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
precita wrote:

17 is nowhere important to the main cast as Krillin, or even 18, no matter how powerful he is.

Do you seriously believe 17 is going to constantly fight or be part of the story in every arc going forward? Probably not.
Yes i do and probably his chances are higher than Gohan's, Gohan is Goku's son did that stop him from being irrelevant up till now ? no because it's in his character to not be interested in fighting, he's doing it as an exception now for the tournament of power we all know he will go back to being a scholar later on it's what he enjoys doing, 17 on the other hand they established that he keeps training and is motivated to always get stronger, not to mention they're developing his character quit well and people are loving his character in dbs, he will be needed from now on, not only he's merchandisable but also very strong and relevant when it comes to battles and fight, Toriyama was just waiting for the perfect moment to add him to the bunch. i'm not saying he will be present all the time but there's no way anyone could ever forget him again after this arc. don't count on it.

Slaythe
Beyond Newbie

Post by Slaythe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:07 pm

precita wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote:
precita wrote:

"Constantly", certainly not. But he adds way more than Krilin or 18 could add. And Piccolo, for that matter. He's not a useless cheerleader that's just watching fights happen and comment on it.

They made clear he doesn't really care about saving the world. So yes he probably won't be in the next arc. So won't Gohan. But this show is gonna go on FOR YEARS. The arc following the next one ? Anything is fair game. Both characters barely age at all.

They've established that both Gohan and 17 can train on their own and get to relevant realm of power. Same thing with Future Trunks. From now on, no matter when they come back, they can be relevant. Which is good. They'll be characters you get once in a while when it really matters. But I wouldn't be surprised to see 17 in slice of life episodes too.

Right now they have too many enemies, but eventually I'm sure they'll find a middle ground between "only one or two enemies and Goku / other saiyan does everything" and "80 fighters". Get some evil organization / team, get the fighters, and there you go.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:40 pm

Expecting 17 to stick around forever is like expecting Freeza to be around forever. This is mostly a fanservice arc bringing back the old DBZ cast for one last hurrah. Everyone (except Yamcha apparently) is being used from the main DBZ cast,

Super has a hard-on for Goku and Vegeta mainly, but aside from that the other Saiyans like Gohan or Trunks when he gets older again (and maybe Goten) will likely get the focus. We're moving into EOZ territory where most of the older cast was retired. EOZ made it obvious Uub and likely Trunks/Goten as the new main focus as the young heroes. Trunks will be back in his adult design which is very popular and I can see them using him again.

I expect Krillin, Tenshinhan, Roshi and both 17 and 18 to essentially "retire" from fighting and just appear as support characters ala Bulma/Yamcha/Mr. Satan, etc. Piccolo could go either way, depends if they still want him around.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:23 am

precita wrote:Expecting 17 to stick around forever is like expecting Freeza to be around forever. This is mostly a fanservice arc bringing back the old DBZ cast for one last hurrah. Everyone (except Yamcha apparently) is being used from the main DBZ cast,

Super has a hard-on for Goku and Vegeta mainly, but aside from that the other Saiyans like Gohan or Trunks when he gets older again (and maybe Goten) will likely get the focus. We're moving into EOZ territory where most of the older cast was retired. EOZ made it obvious Uub and likely Trunks/Goten as the new main focus as the young heroes. Trunks will be back in his adult design which is very popular and I can see them using him again.

I expect Krillin, Tenshinhan, Roshi and both 17 and 18 to essentially "retire" from fighting and just appear as support characters ala Bulma/Yamcha/Mr. Satan, etc. Piccolo could go either way, depends if they still want him around.
Expect Gohan to retire from fighting sweetie, he's the one who hates fighting not 17, 17 is ALIVE and he's good and a great support character for Goku you can't compare him to an evil asshole who will go back to hell after this arc, 17 will comeback from time to time, he always trains, he's a warrior at heart, he's the opposite of Gohan and as it's confirmed 17 has the potential too, so i'd expect to see a lot of him, if you're lucky enough they will try to make Gohan useful from now on too but Toriyama's vision on Gohan is established, he prefers the Gohan with glasses who keeps it lowkey that's just his character, he will have some saiyanman episodes for sure.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 am

I could be entirely off the mark, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Toei Animation has done quite a bit in establishing Gohan's return as a prominent character in the current anime, showcasing his training AND his family life. This latest arc is sort of the ultimate payoff to that buildup, thrusting Gohan into a situation where he's finally pulled out all the stops and put effort and time into being a warrior again.

Toei certainly seems like it'd want to keep Gohan around, though Toriyama and Toyotaro are a different story. It's clear that this resurgence of Gohan as a main character is intentional, but will it stick? Personally, I'd say that the most probable answer is that Gohan will begin to relapse back into his old routine, but future story arcs will still involve him in somewhat meaningful ways after all his accomplishments in this current arc. The non-main story arc material in the anime that follows will likely focus on Gohan a lot if his resurgence as a character in this current arc is successful enough.

It could even be that Gohan could serve as part of the driving force that will prepare the next generation of Z-Warriors, along with Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, 17, etc. All of these fighters are in their prime, and it's getting close enough to the end that the next generation needs to start their training soon whilst still requiring these main fighters to be active.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Why the hell is 17 being brought up in a thread about Gohan?

On topic; characters will stick around if they have a reason to. I actually don't think anyone will retire just yet. Krillin and Gohan just got their fighting spirits back, retiring either would be a waste. Tien will forever be a martial artist. Roshi seems to be taking things seriously again. 18 hasn't been this involved in years and she seems to be enjoying herself. 17, if he can get away from his island could become more social after this tournament. Piccolo...well, not really sure what Piccolo is doing yet but the ToP is sure to give him something.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm

I think the Eoz will be retconned,gohan will be relevant again,I'm sick of gohan quitting his fighting spirit and returning to it,he will probably realize he need to balance his life style
Mostly active on discord.

incarnati0n
Beyond Newbie

Post by incarnati0n » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Akyon wrote:Why the hell is 17 being brought up in a thread about Gohan?

On topic; characters will stick around if they have a reason to. I actually don't think anyone will retire just yet. Krillin and Gohan just got their fighting spirits back, retiring either would be a waste. Tien will forever be a martial artist. Roshi seems to be taking things seriously again. 18 hasn't been this involved in years and she seems to be enjoying herself. 17, if he can get away from his island could become more social after this tournament. Piccolo...well, not really sure what Piccolo is doing yet but the ToP is sure to give him something.
17 is being brought up here because LapisLettuce is absolutely incapable of writing a post in this forum without mentioning 17.

On the matter of Gohan maintaining a prominent role after this arc I will say that he will unless it's an arc where nothing of relevance to his world is concerned. What I mean by this is that if his family or friends are at risk he will be part of the fighting but if it's an arc where Goku goes explore another universe or something like that than he will stay back and not be part of it. The only thing I hope is to not have another situation like the RoF arc or the Black arc because that that means they will go back to straight character ''Assassination'' and that is the only thing I'm not fine with.

TheGreatSaiyaman
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGreatSaiyaman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:12 pm

incarnati0n wrote:

17 is being brought up here because LapisLettuce is absolutely incapable of writing a post in this forum without mentioning 17.

On the matter of Gohan maintaining a prominent role after this arc I will say that he will unless it's an arc where nothing of relevance to his world is concerned. What I mean by this is that if his family or friends are at risk he will be part of the fighting but if it's an arc where Goku goes explore another universe or something like that than he will stay back and not be part of it. The only thing I hope is to not have another situation like the RoF arc or the Black arc because that that means they will go back to straight character ''Assassination'' and that is the only thing I'm not fine with.
I agree with this. Anything basically directly threatening Gohan will cause him to stay relevant, especially if he finally has time to train or whatever for an enemy, anything else and I'm not glad to say so, but we'll just see him come and go like he was in the first half of Super - barely, bar a couple slice of life episodes.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:49 pm

incarnati0n wrote:

I didn't mention 17 AT ALL it was Precita who got salty saw 2 people with 17 as their icon giving their honest opinion so she decided to bring up 17.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm

Yes in terms of it not being hard to do more than he has.

No if you mean does he get main status or close.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:10 pm

I'd say that his role in the Tournament of Power will be the deciding factor in whether or not his role in the series will be more important afterwards.

If his resurgence is well-received, it's possible that Toriyama, Toyotaro, and/or Toei will try to make him more relevant to the main narrative plots.

If it's not, well, he can quietly return to studying, content that he's managed to really make some great strides as a warrior with Mr. Piccolo's help.

Kanious
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:40 pm

i'm hoping that he wouldn't receive asspulls in this arc, nor too much relevance, and i hope that in the next arcs he will return being a family man, a scholar.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Honestly after this arc, we don't need him in the spotlight as much. I think a perfect role for Gohan is to help out fighting. Sure he will lose fights in future arcs, but just having him there is more then enough for me.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:38 pm

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Honestly after this arc, we don't need him in the spotlight as much. I think a perfect role for Gohan is to help out fighting. Sure he will lose fights in future arcs, but just having him there is more then enough for me.
Gohan is supposed to be a major character. He's not some character to be cast off to the side like some of the humans or even Piccolo. Most people expected Gohan to be as relevant as Goku and Vegeta for the whole series.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:04 am

precita wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Honestly after this arc, we don't need him in the spotlight as much. I think a perfect role for Gohan is to help out fighting. Sure he will lose fights in future arcs, but just having him there is more then enough for me.
Gohan is supposed to be a major character. He's not some character to be cast off to the side like some of the humans or even Piccolo. Most people expected Gohan to be as relevant as Goku and Vegeta for the whole series.
Don't get me wrong, I would love Gohan to be the main character again. I loved how the series up to the end of Cell saga was Goku passing on the torch to Gohan. One of the things I disliked about near the end of the Buu saga is that everything that was being built up was thrown away to have Goku and Vegeta be the saviors. At this point in Super I accept that he isn't going to be as big as Goku and Vegeta. Him being a support role does suit him. He isn't a fighter like Goku or Vegeta and he doesn't have the sense of adventure like Goten or Trunks. He will fight yes, but more of a protective role. Thats why I think still keep Gohan relevent as more of a supporting role suits him. Having him have some great fights would be great, may not win them all but it would be nice to see him fight here and there in future arcs. I think if we had more side episodes of him being Great Saiyaman like the ones we had before this current arc, then I will be happy.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:52 am

precita wrote:
You must have not been watching dragonball z if you think that gohan is any different than the others.In the whole Cell saga outside of his fight with Cell he was a background character who did nothing before getting his moment to shine against Cell.
People were expecting Gohan to be important because they are bandwangers who forget that outside of defeating cell he has done nothing that sets him apart from the secondary characters.