Manga predictions for the ToP arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Re: Manga predictions for the ToP arc

Post by namekiansaiyan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I'm confident Toyotaro is going to beef the fuck out Android 17 in terms of strength in the manga, as well. That means either Goku having to use SSJG or MSSJB against him in a sparring match. I mean, they have to justify picking him over the likes of Goten and Trunks. And remember, Android 17 being as strong as he is in the anime was something Toriyama personally gave the green light for. You just watch it happen in the manga, too.
He probably will make 17 look really strong but to me this will never feel right having a character who has very little history having such a big role in an arc like this. 17 might still go out earlier than a lot of people think though. Goten and Trunks will have the same reason as in the anime.
It's really nothing lore breaking with Android 17 being as strong as he is. The anime implies he trained off screen, and I'm sure the manga will give more emphasis on the fact that Android 17 just trained and got very strong in 10 or so years.
I am talking about his character status as he was a complete nobody before this arc who no one in the series cared about and was just a forgotten character. The stakes of this arc cannot be bigger and if Toriyama in a arc as huge as this one has him be the last one out apart from Goku then that is a huge punch in the face to Vegeta, Gohan and Piccolo as dragon ball characters. I can understand Frieza doing a lot in the tournament but 17 should go out before Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan and Frieza. Toriyama should be gradually making him more prominent if he wants but not straight from nothing to be being this huge character who gets a lot of important screen time and important fights. I just find this completely disgraceful.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:15 am

The gr wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: - I don't want this to come true, but I have a funny feeling that a lot of eliminations of the fodder characters (Universe 9 and Universe 10) will happen off-panel.
I don't think u9 elimination will happen off screen,there all going to be eliminated by Goku and vegeta :problem:
    my prediction
      -buu vs basil and Gohan vs lavender won't happen
        -the exhibition matches will be a triple threat or is going to be Goku vs Bergamo and Goku vs toppo
          -Goku and vegeta will use their god form to conserve stamina
            -the top ring will be Egyptian themed
              -#17 and Freeza are the only recruitment that will have a lot of screentime with no space poacher bs
                -basil will have the first ko
                  -the kaioshin from the other universe will have a lot of screentime
                    -Toyotaro will give screen time to the actual key players
                      -u4 will have two hidden warriors
                      There's no way Toyotaro will change the ToP arena considering it was designed by Toriyama.
                      悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

LowRyder2005
                      Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:55 am

Will re-check in due time, but for now my gut feelings are:

- In general terms, I expect the manga to proceed in its partly "autonomous" direction; see Toyotaro elaborating on original content like Vegeta vs. Beerus or his rendition of Goku vs. Zamas.
                      - The entire Saiyans vs. Trio De Danger is skipped, Goku just fights Toppo and the fight with Jiren is foreshadowed.
                      - #17 is nerfed (or without the same visual feats in the manga).
                      - Gohan just trains with Piccolo to get back in shape, but no emphasis placed on the "find my true self to re-unlock my Ultimate form" part.
                      - Buu is sleeping right off the bat, so Goku goes recruiting Freeza.
                      - The tournament duels/"slice-of-fights" may be vastly different, but Goku and Vegeta vs. Trio de Danger Ribrianne vs. Vegeta, Kale vs. Goku and Dyspo vs. Hit and Goku will be rendered very, very faithfully (except, no Blue).
                      - No Super Saiyan Blue out of the blue (*ba-dum tss*); it will be kept in store up until the big fight (Goku vs. Jiren).

Hawk9211
                      OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:27 am

The tingly feeling will be staying.
                      Most of recruitments process except freeza and 17 will be skipped.
                      We might get more of other universes before top.
                      Why power levels are important?
                      The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lord Beerus
                      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:39 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      Lord Beerus wrote:
                      namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      He probably will make 17 look really strong but to me this will never feel right having a character who has very little history having such a big role in an arc like this. 17 might still go out earlier than a lot of people think though. Goten and Trunks will have the same reason as in the anime.
                      It's really nothing lore breaking with Android 17 being as strong as he is. The anime implies he trained off screen, and I'm sure the manga will give more emphasis on the fact that Android 17 just trained and got very strong in 10 or so years.
                      I am talking about his character status as he was a complete nobody before this arc who no one in the series cared about and was just a forgotten character. The stakes of this arc cannot be bigger and if Toriyama in a arc as huge as this one has him be the last one out apart from Goku then that is a huge punch in the face to Vegeta, Gohan and Piccolo as dragon ball characters. I can understand Frieza doing a lot in the tournament but 17 should go out before Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Gohan and Frieza. Toriyama should be gradually making him more prominent if he wants but not straight from nothing to be being this huge character who gets a lot of important screen time and important fights. I just find this completely disgraceful.
                      The anime has made a big deal out of Android 17. Which makes me inclined to believe that Toriyama has big plans for him in the Tournament Of Power. So I wouldn't be surprised at all if Toriyama wanted him to be among the last few contestants in the tournament. Because given his character and the time placement of the Tournament Of Power in the narrative, this may be a one arc deal for Android 17. In the fact that he'll appear for this major arc and then never be prominent character again in Super. Outside of perhaps the brief cameo every now and again. So why not make the most of it and have him be a big deal now?

BlueBasilisk
                      I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am

I don't think the manga version of the arc will be very different from the anime version. Toyotaro might leave out the stuff with Buu and there won't be Kaioken Blue of course.

Dbzfan94
                      Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

Lord Beerus wrote: I mean, the new cover of V-Jump is pretty indicative of who is going to the main focus of the arc, or at very least, who Toriyama wants to the main focus of the Tournament Of Power:
                      [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
                      Wow they put Gohan in his Piccolo gi in the manga

supersaiyan1993

Post by supersaiyan1993 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:18 pm

cant wait for the manga version. anyway i think the manga will go like this
                      -there wont any exhibition match.
                      -goku will fight toppo before the tournament just like the anime
                      - the recruitment will be 1-2 chapters
                      -17 will be ss3 level at most.
                      -frieza will be weaker than goku and vegeta
                      - fights in the tournamnet will go a lot faster and some will be skipped .
                      -only certain characters will get focus such as u7 ,u6,u2 and u11

Benedetto12
                      Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:00 pm

- The match beetween U9 and U7 before the TOP will be reduced to Bergamo vs Goku
                      - Gohan will use Piccolo clothes, we will also see him in a more strategist role
                      - The only recruitments we will see will be 17 and Freeza
                      - 17 will be beetween SS2 and SS3 level
                      - Krillin will last more in the TOP
                      - Freeza won´t plot with Frost
                      - Caulifla won´t be stronger than Cabba, they will be on the same level
                      - Hit and Frost will become stronger
                      - Tien won´t be a coward
                      - Buu will be asleep since the start, Yamcha will be the option instead of him
                      - Yamcha will refuse to fight in the TOP, leading Goku to look for Freeza
                      - Goten and Trunks will not fight because Beerus wants experienced fighters

supersaiyan1993

Post by supersaiyan1993 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:23 am

i think the arc would be around 10-14 chapters. the future trunks arc wasnt rushed in the manga and i doubt this arc would be. the arc in the anime may end around nov-dec and the mange arc would be july-august next year. the arc in the anime had a slow start with the recruitment mini arc taking around 16 episodes. this will be a lot shorter in the manga where it think it would only be 3 chapters. during this 3 chapters it will show goku and the other universes getting their fighters together. it will quickly also summarise everyone training such as u7 fighters and u6 saiyans learning to transform. the actual tournament would start at chapter 30.