Manga predictions for the ToP arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Manga predictions for the ToP arc

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:14 pm

We already have leaks for the first chapter, and it seems mostly on par with episode 77 of the anime, only now being that Vegeta is training in Beerus' home-world.

I have a good feeling that the exhibition match is not going to occur as I believe it was just made by the anime to waste more time for the manga to catch up, as well as a way to reuse animation for later fights in the actual tournament.

The recruitment arc will also be cut as well, and only 17 and Freeza will have time for their own chapters since they haven't been seen for some time. Episodes such as 89 obviously feel like filler as well. Stuff like Gohan regaining his ultimate form will probably be mentioned by a character, or just mentioned in a short summary by the narrator.

The tournament feels very Toriyama/Toyotaro-ish, so I think the anime is using the manga as a source for the actual tournament. I believe the sequence of the Kamikaze Fireballs doing their transformation for a second time was also filler, and that part will not be part of the manga.

What are your predictions on how the manga will tackle this arc?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Manga predictions for the ToP arc

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:21 pm

The exhibition matches were in no way created to give time for the manga to catch up. Nothing the anime creates taken into consideration with Toyotaro does in the manga. The anime goes at the pace it does with the story it tells to suit its own desires. Nobody else is taken into consideration.

Regardless, here's what I think will happen:

- The Zen Exhibition matches will but cut from 4 (Majin Boo vs Basil, Gohan vs Lavander, Goku vs Bergamo and Goku vs Toppo) to 2 (Goku vs Bergamo and Goku vs Toppo)
- Toyotaro will only show the recruitment of Freeza and Android 17 and both instances will last a chapter a piece. The recruitment of everyone else for Universe 7 will be done off-panel.
- We'll get a page of each universe getting ready for the tournament. With Brianne's transformation into Magical Girl Ribrianne getting a few pages to itself and
the Pride Troopers getting some spotlight to themselves. Particularly Jiren and Dyspo.
- I don't want this to come true, but I have a funny feeling that a lot of eliminations of the fodder characters (Universe 9 and Universe 10) will happen off-panel.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: - I don't want this to come true, but I have a funny feeling that a lot of eliminations of the fodder characters (Universe 9 and Universe 10) will happen off-panel.
I don't think u9 elimination will happen off screen,there all going to be eliminated by Goku and vegeta :problem:
    my prediction
      -buu vs basil and Gohan vs lavender won't happen
        -the exhibition matches will be a triple threat or is going to be Goku vs Bergamo and Goku vs toppo
          -Goku and vegeta will use their god form to conserve stamina
            -the top ring will be Egyptian themed
              -#17 and Freeza are the only recruitment that will have a lot of screentime with no space poacher bs
                -basil will have the first ko
                  -the kaioshin from the other universe will have a lot of screentime
                    -Toyotaro will give screen time to the actual key players
                      -u4 will have two hidden warriors
                      Mostly active on discord.

Lord Beerus
                      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:42 pm

The gr wrote:
                      Lord Beerus wrote: - I don't want this to come true, but I have a funny feeling that a lot of eliminations of the fodder characters (Universe 9 and Universe 10) will happen off-panel.
                      I don't think u9 elimination will happen off screen,there all going to be eliminated by Goku and vegeta :problem:
                      Well, that would be a better option but still so... bleh.

I mean, the new cover of V-Jump is pretty indicative of who is going to the main focus of the arc, or at very least, who Toriyama wants to the main focus of the Tournament Of Power:
                      [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
                      You see how Majin Boo is not even there.

The gr
                      I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
                      The gr wrote:
                      Well, that would be a better option but still so... bleh.

I mean, the new cover of V-Jump is pretty indicative of who is going to the main focus of the arc, or at very least, who Toriyama wants to the main focus of the Tournament Of Power:
                      [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
                      You see how Majin Boo is not even there.
                      U4 looks important but they didn't appear in the cover :think: I just hope he don't pull a 98 and get rid of them quickly,I just know there designed by AT,especially that bat guy so that mean there elimination will happen on screen but for u10 I could see that because none of them are impressive or have gimmick aside from obni and it looks like tadayoshi designed all of them
                      Mostly active on discord.

Lionel
                      I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Placement on the poster may not be everything. I mean there's no doubt those characters are the star attractions of the tournament that we as fans should be keeping our attention directed towards the most, but I don't believe Vegeta is only going to receive the same amount of screen time as Gohan or Piccolo; not with how much investment Toyotaro has provided for him.

I wouldn't have minded Toyotaro offering maybe one chapter depicting the recruitment of the other teammates and what they're doing in their respective lives. Offering some glimpse into how they prepare in the manga would help us to feel better connected and be more compelled to support them once the tournament begins. You have to wonder if the team formation and leadership dynamics will remain the same in the manga like it was for the anime. If Gohan isn't the team leader then I would hope for Piccolo to assume the role instead since he does have experience acting as the de facto team strategist back in the Saiyan arc and again when Goku had succumbed to the heart virus at the beginning stages of the Cell arc. If not Piccolo for whatever reason then certainly Roshi as he's the only teammate to show leadership qualities who doesn't act like a solitarian when it comes to fighting.

namekiansaiyan
                      I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Lionel wrote:Placement on the poster may not be everything. I mean there's no doubt those characters are the star attractions of the tournament that we as fans should be keeping our attention directed towards the most, but I don't believe Vegeta is only going to receive the same amount of screen time as Gohan or Piccolo; not with how much investment Toyotaro has provided for him.

I wouldn't have minded Toyotaro offering maybe one chapter depicting the recruitment of the other teammates and what they're doing in their respective lives. Offering some glimpse into how they prepare in the manga would help us to feel better connected and be more compelled to support them once the tournament begins. You have to wonder if the team formation and leadership dynamics will remain the same in the manga like it was for the anime. If Gohan isn't the team leader then I would hope for Piccolo to assume the role instead since he does have experience acting as the de facto team strategist back in the Saiyan arc and again when Goku had succumbed to the heart virus at the beginning stages of the Cell arc. If not Piccolo for whatever reason then certainly Roshi as he's the only teammate to show leadership qualities who doesn't act like a solitarian when it comes to fighting.
                      17 and Frieza are the the surprises and returning characters so that is why they are where they are in in the poster. 17 is not going to go from a complete nobody to only be second to Goku.

The_Destroyer
                      Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:13 pm

-Exhibition match will still happen

-There will be better powerscalling

- No stupid Yamcha gag

-Majority of the eliminations will be from 7 and 6 like usuall

Lord Beerus
                      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      Lionel wrote:Placement on the poster may not be everything. I mean there's no doubt those characters are the star attractions of the tournament that we as fans should be keeping our attention directed towards the most, but I don't believe Vegeta is only going to receive the same amount of screen time as Gohan or Piccolo; not with how much investment Toyotaro has provided for him.

17 and Frieza are the the surprises and returning characters so that is why they are where they are in in the poster. 17 is not going to go from a complete nobody to only be second to Goku.
                      10 bucks says he fights Goku in the manga and Goku has to use SSJG and/or SSJB against him.

namekiansaiyan
                      I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
                      namekiansaiyan wrote:

10 bucks says he fights Goku in the manga and Goku has to use SSJG and/or SSJB against him.
                      No higher than SS3 and now watch the fight not happen at all.

Lord Beerus
                      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:04 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      Lord Beerus wrote:
                      namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      I'm confident Toyotaro is going to beef the fuck out Android 17 in terms of strength in the manga, as well. That means either Goku having to use SSJG or MSSJB against him in a sparring match. I mean, they have to justify picking him over the likes of Goten and Trunks. And remember, Android 17 being as strong as he is in the anime was something Toriyama personally gave the green light for. You just watch it happen in the manga, too.
                      Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Machine
                      I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 pm

I think the whole "don't tell anyone about the universe destruction" thing won''t be in the manga. I feel like the anime might have done that to give fighters like Krillin or Tien hesitation about joining the tournament and have an episode dedicated to them. I think the manga will skip all that with a "SHIT IS ABOUT TO BLOW UP! JOIN ME IN STOPPING IT!" and everyone will just be " 'ight."

Though ,yeah the introduction of 17 and freeza into this thing will probably be it's own thing. I predict that each will go beyond a single chapter.

Though I do wonder what Toyo is going to do with Gohan and if he is even going to have the same issues.
                      SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

namekiansaiyan
                      I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
                      namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      Lord Beerus wrote: 10 bucks says he fights Goku in the manga and Goku has to use SSJG and/or SSJB against him.
                      I'm confident Toyotaro is going to beef the fuck out Android 17 in terms of strength in the manga, as well. That means either Goku having to use SSJG or MSSJB against him in a sparring match. I mean, they have to justify picking him over the likes of Goten and Trunks. And remember, Android 17 being as strong as he is in the anime was something he personally gave the green light for. You just watch it happen in the manga, too.
                      He probably will make 17 look really strong but to me this will never feel right having a character who has very little history having such a big role in an arc like this. 17 might still go out earlier than a lot of people think though. Goten and Trunks will have the same reason as in the anime.

BlueBasilisk
                      I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:24 pm

I wonder if the manga will confirm that Frieza is the last holdout of the old villains? The anime seemed to imply that he was.

Lord Beerus
                      Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:27 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      Lord Beerus wrote:
                      namekiansaiyan wrote:
                      I'm confident Toyotaro is going to beef the fuck out Android 17 in terms of strength in the manga, as well. That means either Goku having to use SSJG or MSSJB against him in a sparring match. I mean, they have to justify picking him over the likes of Goten and Trunks. And remember, Android 17 being as strong as he is in the anime was something Toriyama personally gave the green light for. You just watch it happen in the manga, too.
                      He probably will make 17 look really strong but to me this will never feel right having a character who has very little history having such a big role in an arc like this. 17 might still go out earlier than a lot of people think though. Goten and Trunks will have the same reason as in the anime.
                      It's really nothing lore breaking with Android 17 being as strong as he is. The anime implies he trained off screen, and I'm sure the manga will give more emphasis on the fact that Android 17 just trained and got very strong in 10 or so years.

GodKaio-Ken
                      I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:30 pm

I predict it will be just slightly different enough to cause massive bickering about what is and isnt canon :lol:

Also predict it will execute better in some ways but worse in others which has been par for the course.

Of course these are just general guesses but its what I expect.
                      Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Kanious
                      Beyond Newbie

Post by Kanious » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 pm

I suspect that in the manga only 5-6 fighters from each universe will fight, not 10.

GreatSaiyaJeff
                      Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Kanious wrote:I suspect that in the manga only 5-6 fighters from each universe will fight, not 10.
                      I doubt that, they wouldn't promote the U7 team as heavily if in the manga was only going to have 5 or 6.
                      "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Basako
                      Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:45 pm

A wishful prediction, I hope Toyo does not overuse the SSB like the anime. I think it was justifed against Toppo and maybe for Kale SS Berserk.
                      Heno heno kappa!

superfan2024
                      Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Do you guys think that Frieza vs the assassins will be apart of the manga?