People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Episode 104 made one thing clear:

Goku is the biggest flaw of the whole Arc. Why?

Its not letting his guard down, his shenenigans and playing games he is simply hogging the Spotlight in expense of other characters and storytelling. Through his constantly presence there is a lack of screentime for others especially Vegeta and Frieza in the ToP.
Cant those dumbass writers give the audience atleast 1 Episode without Goku and overexpose him all the time?

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000113 ... l/75689357

precita
Banned

Re: People are getting tired of Goku and here is why

Post by precita » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Every main character is getting screentime, you can tell they're alternating between each character each episode. Next week is a Roshi themed episode, this ep was focused on Hit, previous we got a Gohan/Piccolo episode, before that a 17 episode, before that an 18 episode, before that a Caulifa/Kale episode, before that Krillin, focus.

Also anyone with common sense can tell Freeza is being saved for the last fights of the tournament. You can't very well expect Freeza to start going beserk now.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:24 pm

precita wrote:Every main character is getting screentime
Since the Arc started in EP 77 he get constantly thrown down our throats.
He is everywhere, he is completely overexposed.

Why was Z so great bc Goku didnt hog the spotlight all the time and was not constantly present, think about it.

Vegeta got completely shafted in this Arc outside of EP 83 and 98.
Frieza...give him atleast a bit of screentime in the ToP.

Toei and Toriyamas Goku Boner in this Arc is worst than ever before.
Last edited by Vegeta-Sama on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Goku is present in most fights, sure, but that doesn't mean every character isn't getting focus. Each episode switches off the focus to someone new.

Vegeta already got plenty of focus defeating U9, fighting Magetta/Botamo, fighting Ribianne and some other fights for a bit, and he's likely going to get a big fight later on.

Vegeta-Sama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vegeta-Sama » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:30 pm

precita wrote:Goku is present in most fights, sure, but that doesn't mean every character isn't getting focus. Each episode switches off the focus to someone new.

Vegeta already got plenty of focus defeating U9, fighting Magetta/Botamo, fighting Ribianne and some other fights for a bit, and he's likely going to get a big fight later on.
Vegeta in the last 5 Episodes:

Episode 100 his interaction with Cabba went to...? All the attention got Goku and the U6 ladys
Episode 101 he got 1 scene with Frieza together, thats it
Episode 102 He was fighting Ribrianne in a short skirmish, he grossed out...
Episode 103 No scene
Episode 104 No scene again...

This is a joke, compare this with Gokus infinite screentime he had.

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Seriously? The show is about Goku, I really get annoyed when I see posts like these. This show isn't the Z cast where there isn't a main cast. I love Goku, in fact I prefer it when he's in the show.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Gamefaqs is like the Mos Eisley of the gaming/anime websites. Nothing but scum and villainy, and trash. No one really takes that website seriously.

I agree that Goku doesn't need to be as present as he is in some of these episodes, but he is still the main character and while he might be in every episode, the focus is rarely always on him. This episode the focus was on Hit, last episode it was on Gohan and Piccolo, and some of 17. Before that it was mostly all 17, before that Caulifla/Kale, etc. just like precita pointed out.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Vegeta-Sama wrote:.

Why was Z so great bc Goku didnt hog the spotlight all the time and was not constantly present, think about it.
And by Z you mean, what, the Great Saiyaman part of the Buu Saga?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:33 pm

He's not like this in the manga at all which is why I prefer it to the anime. The current arc started with Vegeta training with Whis then getting a fight with Beerus, something the anime's staff wouldn't dare think about. If you're interested in the torunament but are tired of Goku being forced into everything then just switch to the manga cause not only is he used a lot less, he's not annoying like he is in the anime.
Kanassa wrote:And by Z you mean, what, the Great Saiyaman part of the Buu Saga?
The Z fighter's fght against Nappa.
The last part of the fight against Vegeta.
A good amount of Namek.
Most of the android/Cell arc.
The middle part of the Buu arc.

Goku was unquestionablly the main character of DBZ but unlike Super's anime, he wasn't forced into everything and each of the other characters got their fair share of screen time. Thankfully the manga is following this writing style and isn't trying to be GT 2.0 like its anime counterpart.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm

sintzu wrote:He's not like this in the manga at all which is why I prefer it to the anime.
The Universe Survival saga just started so we cannot speak for it, but Goku was predominant in Future Trunks saga, while in the anime, it was somewhat well balanced among him, Vegeta and Trunks. Heck, people complained a lot how useless Trunks was in his own saga in the manga.
Last edited by Grimlock on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:41 pm

sintzu wrote:He's not like this in the manga at all which is why I prefer it to the anime. The current arc started with Vegeta training with Whis then getting a fight with Beerus, something the anime's staff wouldn't dare think about. If you're interested in the torunament but are tired of Goku being forced into everything then just switch to the manga cause not only is he used a lot less, he's not annoying like he is in the anime.
Kanassa wrote:And by Z you mean, what, the Great Saiyaman part of the Buu Saga?
The Z fighter's fght against Nappa.
A good amount of Namek.

Goku was unquestionablly the main character of DBZ but unlike Super's anime, he wasn't forced into everything and each of the other characters got their fair share of screen time. Thankfully the manga is following this writing style and isn't trying to be GT 2.0 like its anime counterpart.
Those comparisons don't even make sense. Goku was either dead or unconscious for literally all of those situations, and obviously Goku can't be dead or unconscious in this tournament (maybe he can become unconscious later, not now)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Asura wrote:Gamefaqs is like the Mos Eisley of the gaming/anime websites. Nothing but scum and villainy, and trash. No one really takes that website seriously.
Derogatory comments about other communities is unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:52 pm

Grimlock wrote:Goku was predominant in Future Trunks saga, while in the anime, it was somewhat well balanced among him, Vegeta and Trunks.
In the manga Goku doesn't fight Black at all (Vegeta does) while in the anime he fights him FOUR times. In the manga Goku doesn't go with Beerus to fight Zamasu but he did in the anime. in the manga he's watching Vegeta's fight with Black while Beerus kills Zamasu but in the anime he goes with Beerus. Goku only got a real fight at the end against Merged Zamasu and even then Vegeta was the one to destroy his 2 bodies after Goku lost before they had to call Zeno.

Asura wrote:Those comparisons don't even make sense. Goku was either dead or unconscious for literally all of those situations.
The point was, Goku in Z didn't take all the spotlight for himself and instead it was spread across multiple characters.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Dragon Ball, the only series where people whine about the main character being in the series.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Well Goku is the one now getting a new Form, so NO. I am not tired of him. Not at all. I'm excited!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Where do people get off being rude to the writers for? Seriously it's disgraceful the name calling fans result to, to people that they've never met, because they aren't writing they way they want them to right, he calling them such things as "retarded" and "dumbasses" that's gonna solve everything... :eyeroll: the fanbase needs to get a grip on itself.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm

While I agree that Goku doesn't need to be involved with every conflict, I can't exactly be mad that the main character is involved in the events of his own show. I can't imagine doing that for any other series.

"Berserk is awful because Guts gets too much spotlight! I want more Farnese."

Also Goku is a Good character. So it's fun to watch him most of the time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:15 pm

If you are are fan of Goku you will like seei g him all the time but if you are not then you will get annoyed especially as he has been missing for long periods before and there are many other characters that deserve screen time and fights.
Bullza wrote:Dragon Ball, the only series where people whine about the main character being in the series.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Where do people get off being rude to the writers for? Seriously it's disgraceful the name calling fans result to, to people that they've never met, because they aren't writing they way they want them to right, he calling them such things as "retarded" and "dumbasses" that's gonna solve everything... :eyeroll: the fanbase needs to get a grip on itself.
This arc is not about Goku but Team Universe 7 surviving so they should get more equal screen time.
GodVegetto91 wrote:Well Goku is the one now getting a new Form, so NO. I am not tired of him. Not at all. I'm excited!
So you are only excited for Goku becuase he is getting a new form?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

What's the problem with Goku being always there? It wasn't that different in Dragon Ball and I remember missing him in DBZ as a kid.
I agree that they are somewhat forcing Goku too much lately, but that's not much of a problem as long as he's entertaining. He's the main character so it makes sense he's treated as such.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

sintzu wrote:The Z fighter's fght against Nappa.
A good amount of Namek.

Goku was unquestionablly the main character of DBZ but unlike Super's anime, he wasn't forced into everything and each of the other characters got their fair share of screen time.
Other character are getting their fair share of screen time. And in Z? Goku dominated the series even when he wasn't there, no matter the arc one of two things are happen: Cutting back to Goku on his way to the fight, all the character whining about Goku not being there.
Thankfully the manga is following this writing style and isn't trying to be GT 2.0 like its anime counterpart.
Yes, because you consider a character being 'forced into everything' and other characters getting little screen time bad when it's not Vegeta.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017