Will Piccolo get anything from the Universe 6 Namekians?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lionel
I Live Here

Re: Will Piccolo get anything from the Universe 6 Namekians?

Post by Lionel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:37 am

As always I'm going to remain skeptical. I feel like there isn't much odds for Piccolo gaining some vast assimilation power up that sees him launching into the same dimension as the SSJBs. I hope we see some well-meaning interaction between the Namekians as they both hail from differing universes yet similar in certain ways as well. The tournament is a great opportunity to open the shades on U6 Namekian lore and how they play a role in the grand universal scheme of things, assuming they do at all.

I'm vehemently against fabricating more transformations. We've already see several new ones introduced in this arc with Ribrianne, Ganos, and Kale. If Piccolo is to gain any power increases then I would like to see it achieved via the old concept of learning Kaioken and equipping himself with God Ki. Be more original with the methods used to give a character viability.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:43 am

Lionel wrote:As always I'm going to remain skeptical. I feel like there isn't much odds for Piccolo gaining some vast assimilation power up that sees him launching into the same dimension as the SSJBs. I hope we see some well-meaning interaction between the Namekians as they both hail from differing universes yet similar in certain ways as well. The tournament is a great opportunity to open the shades on U6 Namekian lore and how they play a role in the grand universal scheme of things, assuming they do at all.

I'm vehemently against fabricating more transformations. We've already see several new ones introduced in this arc with Ribrianne, Ganos, and Kale. If Piccolo is to gain any power increases then I would like to see it achieved via the old concept of learning Kaioken and equipping himself with God Ki. Be more original with the methods used to give a character viability.
Don't tell me you would not be excited if Piccolo got something like a red eyed form.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:48 am

No, just a little bit disgusted. I've grown to dislike transformations over the years because of their strong association with the Saiyans and the constant exploitation of even more forms to enrapture audiences who prefer that sort of thing. Plus, it did ultimately seal the invalidation of the non Saiyan Z-fighters back in the Cell arc.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:33 am

Lionel wrote:No, just a little bit disgusted. I've grown to dislike transformations over the years because of their strong association with the Saiyans and the constant exploitation of even more forms to enrapture audiences who prefer that sort of thing. Plus, it did ultimately seal the invalidation of the non Saiyan Z-fighters back in the Cell arc.
Same here.I have especially grown to dislike the super saiyan transformations since they are just a power up with aesthetic changes.I don't mind the ssg since it is a new concept.If they do something original like exploring god ki I might get interested otherwise I am not looking forward to new transformation especially a super saiyan transformation.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:49 am

How can anyone dislike transformations in a series like Dragon Ball lol

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 am

I know people remain skeptical the story will grow past the Goku and Vegeta show after the tournament of power. I honestly think the emphasis they placed on the other Z fighters, as well as the universe 6 and 11 fighters indicates a permanent turn for the writers. I can honestly see them spending more time on other stories, and possibly bringing Gohan, 17, and possibly Piccolo into the upper echelon. The U6 Namekians offer the prefect chance to introduce a new ability or transformation, allowing Piccolo to regain his spot near the top. He's one of the few characters I think the community will enjoy seeing in competition with Goku and Vegeta, and it reintroduces a dynamic from the majority of DBZ. I know Piccolo's role is typically thought of as Gohan's master, who long ago realized he can't compete on the level he could in the past. If the comment to Frost about everyone thinks he's a weakling is any indication, he's not satisfied with his current position. Re-awaking his drive to compete for the top spot again against the Sayians, would be a welcomed change for the character. In addition to Gohan and 17, I can see the group extending beyond Goku and Vegeta to include other warriors capable of protecting Earth, U7, and beyond.

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:27 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:How can anyone dislike transformations in a series like Dragon Ball lol
Because the original pre Z dragon ball the only transformation was a plot device. Now it's a plot killer.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:54 am

Arugela wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:How can anyone dislike transformations in a series like Dragon Ball lol
Because the original pre Z dragon ball the only transformation was a plot device. Now it's a plot killer.
While I agree with the notion that transformations have become somewhat of a joke at this point,enough people still look forward to them. I would love a transformation for namekians, since there seems to be an actual desire among a good portion of the fan base to see one. Super has been granting long-standing fan wishes, what with the return of Future Trunks, female saiyans, etc. , so why not this too.

My only fear is the possible new design for it. Sometimes Toriyama's ideas are a miss for me, like the new namekians he created for DBO. His penchant for outlandish and bizarre also makes me anxious. One of the things I love most about Piccolo is his character design, it would be a shame if the long awaited transformation would look bad.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:14 am

I doubt Piccolo will receive anything from the namekians or from anyone, in this arc or another. The way the writers had use him in Super leaves little room for hope: he is a green human now, barely used better than Ten Shin Han, and only because he orbits around Gohan and can be used for DBZ callbacks.

I hate to be this negative. He's my favourite character and I would love to see him again more like his former self, but that's not happening. Oh, and I certainly don't want him to asimilate another namekian. We had two of those, and worked organically with the story. In this context it would be forced and repetitive, if he has to get a power up (again, he isn't, but..) please come with something more original.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:17 am

Michsi wrote:
Arugela wrote:
While I agree with the notion that transformations have become somewhat of a joke at this point,enough people still look forward to them. I would love a transformation for namekians, since there seems to be an actual desire among a good portion of the fan base to see one. Super has been granting long-standing fan wishes, what with the return of Future Trunks, female saiyans, etc. , so why not this too.

My only fear is the possible new design for it. Sometimes Toriyama's ideas are a miss for me, like the new namekians he created for DBO. His penchant for outlandish and bizarre also makes me anxious. One of the things I love most about Piccolo is his character design, it would be a shame if the long awaited transformation would look bad.
I agree with maintaining Piccolo's character design, but they already included transformation in Dragon Ball Heroes that simply changes the eye color to red. It's associated with God Ki and God form, but I don't think they need go down that road. I know transformations are played out, but it's hard to justify a significant boost without an obvious change causing the boost. Allowing the character to achieve a new form, which boosts their power and acts as a visual cue for the audience on the character's current power level. It's hard to explain a rapid boost without the plot device. Some other options are unlocking potential like Guru or possibly fusing with another Namekian. I can't see the latter happening without some moment of desperation causing the U6 Namekians to offer themselves to Piccolo for fusion. Other than those two warriors, I can't see another Namekian in U7 being anywhere near the power level needed to provide a significant boost.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:23 am

Majin Jator wrote:I doubt Piccolo will receive anything from the namekians or from anyone, in this arc or another. The way the writers had use him in Super leaves little room for hope: he is a green human now, barely used better than Ten Shin Han, and only because he orbits around Gohan and can be used for DBZ callbacks.

I hate to be this negative. He's my favourite character and I would love to see him again more like his former self, but that's not happening. Oh, and I certainly don't want him to asimilate another namekian. We had two of those, and worked organically with the story. In this context it would be forced and repetitive, if he has to get a power up (again, he isn't, but..) please come with something more original.
Of all the side characters, Piccolo played a continued role in Super. He joined the U7 team against U6, and had a competitive match against a powerful opponent. They also gave him a significant boost prior to the tournament. At the very least, he was able to manhandle a SSJ2 Gohan on the verge of achieving his Ultimate form. The true extent of his current power is still unknown, since we haven't seen him in a fight requiring his full power. I've argued based on episode 88 and 90, you can probably place him somewhere near current SSJ3 Goku, which is close to low level SSJB in terms of raw power. It's possible he'll surprise us when he faces off against an established warrior in the tournament, and actually holds his own.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:30 am

larzooma wrote:I know people remain skeptical the story will grow past the Goku and Vegeta show after the tournament of power. I honestly think the emphasis they placed on the other Z fighters, as well as the universe 6 and 11 fighters indicates a permanent turn for the writers. I can honestly see them spending more time on other stories, and possibly bringing Gohan, 17, and possibly Piccolo into the upper echelon. The U6 Namekians offer the prefect chance to introduce a new ability or transformation, allowing Piccolo to regain his spot near the top. He's one of the few characters I think the community will enjoy seeing in competition with Goku and Vegeta, and it reintroduces a dynamic from the majority of DBZ. I know Piccolo's role is typically thought of as Gohan's master, who long ago realized he can't compete on the level he could in the past. If the comment to Frost about everyone thinks he's a weakling is any indication, he's not satisfied with his current position. Re-awaking his drive to compete for the top spot again against the Sayians, would be a welcomed change for the character. In addition to Gohan and 17, I can see the group extending beyond Goku and Vegeta to include other warriors capable of protecting Earth, U7, and beyond.
I actually think the number 1 reason why Piccolo was in the last tournament was so Champa would get Namekians for the this tournament as he forgot about them and they are now his secret weapons.If nothing comes of the Namekians it will be the biggest waste in Dragon Ball history without doubt.

It is Toei who have the obsession with master and student and Toriyama only does it when it makes sense.

The fact that Toriyama included 10 fighters definitely seems like he wants more characters involved in the actual fighting.
Majin Jator wrote:I doubt Piccolo will receive anything from the namekians or from anyone, in this arc or another. The way the writers had use him in Super leaves little room for hope: he is a green human now, barely used better than Ten Shin Han, and only because he orbits around Gohan and can be used for DBZ callbacks.

Toriyama would decide this thing not Toei and it seems that after 14 episodes both him and Frieza would have had no big fight at all and since Goku and Jiren is suppose to be when the big stuff starts happening so he will have some more action. Why do you assume he won't have any big fight in the tournament?

I think becuase there is 2 Namekians there will be no fusion between Piccolo and them.

The most likely thing for a power up is the red eyed form.
larzooma wrote:
Of all the side characters, Piccolo played a continued role in Super. He joined the U7 team against U6, and had a competitive match against a powerful opponent. They also gave him a significant boost prior to the tournament. At the very least, he was able to manhandle a SSJ2 Gohan on the verge of achieving his Ultimate form. The true extent of his current power is still unknown, since we haven't seen him in a fight requiring his full power. I've argued based on episode 88 and 90, you can probably place him somewhere near current SSJ3 Goku, which is close to low level SSJB in terms of raw power. It's possible he'll surprise us when he faces off against an established warrior in the tournament, and actually holds his own.
This is why he did not have much focus in the recruitment episodes because he never left fighting and he was always going to say yes to participate in the tournament.
This is what many people don't realise.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:35 am

larzooma wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Arugela wrote:

I agree with maintaining Piccolo's character design, but they already included transformation in Dragon Ball Heroes that simply changes the eye color to red. It's associated with God Ki and God form, but I don't think they need go down that road. I know transformations are played out, but it's hard to justify a significant boost without an obvious change causing the boost. Allowing the character to achieve a new form, which boosts their power and acts as a visual cue for the audience on the character's current power level. It's hard to explain a rapid boost without the plot device. Some other options are unlocking potential like Guru or possibly fusing with another Namekian. I can't see the latter happening without some moment of desperation causing the U6 Namekians to offer themselves to Piccolo for fusion. Other than those two warriors, I can't see another Namekian in U7 being anywhere near the power level needed to provide a significant boost.
I'd be happy with just making their eyes glow red (btw, weren't Piccolo's eyes originally red in the colored images of the manga ) It's a little underwhelming, sure, but if the alternative is something that has scales or gills, I'll accept the version with minimal alteration.

DB lore is loose and malleable, and very few things are set in stone. There can be a hundred ways for namekians to gain a new power, one that doesn't include fusion. That is my second fear - I really, really don't want an eventual power-boost for Piccolo to come from absorbing another namekian.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:47 am

Michsi wrote:
larzooma wrote:
Michsi wrote:

I'd be happy with just making their eyes glow red (btw, weren't Piccolo's eyes originally red in the colored images of the manga ) It's a little underwhelming, sure, but if the alternative is something that has scales or gills, I'll accept the version with minimal alteration.

DB lore is loose and malleable, and very few things are set in stone. There can be a hundred ways for namekians to gain a new power, one that doesn't include fusion. That is my second fear - I really, really don't want an eventual power-boost for Piccolo to come from absorbing another namekian.
Honestly I don't see anything wrong with gaining power through fusion, especially given the two instances involving Piccolo. I think some people feel it's a cheap way to gain power unlike the Saiyan transformations, given the character doesn't actually earn it in the same way. In the case of Nails, he sacraficed what was left of his life to protect his people by hopefully giving Piccolo a sufficient boost to stop Frieza. In the case of Kami, they both made a sacrifice to put their personal history and feelings aside to become one again, so they could gain the power needed to defeat the androids and Cell. Both cases took sacrifice on the part of the person giving up their life, and Piccolo giving up a part of himself. Making such a trade simply to gain enough power to save the Earth or Namek is pretty noble. It's a fitting ability for the Namekian race. I couldn't see Sayians or even humans doing the same thing. I think it would be another example of a noble sacrifice, if one of the U6 Namekians offered to fuse with Piccolo, so he could gain enough power to help win the tournament for U7. Especially if a deal is somehow made or Goku lets others know he plans on restoring all the lost universes with the U7 wish from the Super Dragon Balls. It would be an interesting twist, and further the close knit relationship between U6 and U7 going forward.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:54 am

larzooma wrote:
Michsi wrote:
larzooma wrote:

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with gaining power through fusion, especially given the two instances involving Piccolo. I think some people feel it's a cheap way to gain power unlike the Saiyan transformations, given the character doesn't actually earn it in the same way. In the case of Nails, he sacraficed what was left of his life to protect his people by hopefully giving Piccolo a sufficient boost to stop Frieza. In the case of Kami, they both made a sacrifice to put their personal history and feelings aside to become one again, so they could gain the power needed to defeat the androids and Cell. Both cases took sacrifice on the part of the person giving up their life, and Piccolo giving up a part of himself. Making such a trade simply to gain enough power to save the Earth or Namek is pretty noble. It's a fitting ability for the Namekian race. I couldn't see Sayians or even humans doing the same thing. I think it would be another example of a noble sacrifice, if one of the U6 Namekians offered to fuse with Piccolo, so he could gain enough power to help win the tournament for U7. Especially if a deal is somehow made or Goku lets others know he plans on restoring all the lost universes with the U7 wish from the Super Dragon Balls. It would be an interesting twist, and further the close knit relationship between U6 and U7 going forward.
There is no way that a fusion will happen since there is no circumstances where they would want to. We want more Namekian fighters so why would they throw away 2 Namekian fighters that can be rivals to Piccolo when they can think of another way for Piccolo to get a power up? They should make the red eyed form completely official.

larzooma
Beyond Newbie

Post by larzooma » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
larzooma wrote:
Michsi wrote:

There is no way that a fusion will happen since there is no circumstances where they would want to. We want more Namekian fighters so why would they throw away 2 Namekian fighters that can be rivals to Piccolo when they can think of another way for Piccolo to get a power up? They should make the red eyed form completely official.
True it's very unlikely, and wouldn't really utilize the new Namekians to the fullest. I'd prefer a simple form change with a significant multiplier. Piccolo is already incredibly strong for a base character. All he needs is a decent multiplier to rival the top tier warriors.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:26 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:Will there be a Namekian God or some other power up.

Will they provide some Namekian lore for a potential Power up that does not exist yet for any Namekian?
None of the above. Piccolo, at best, will get a cool fight to show he's the top Namekian. If he was getting a power up or transformation, Toei would have spoiled it by now. Just like they spoiled Caulifla, Goku and Kale's transformations.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 am

larzooma wrote:
He was trashed in the "resurrection of F" arc, and was little more than a plot device in the Champa Arc to make Goku fight again (admitedly , Toei tried to make him look as good as possible between the confines of Toriyama script). He did well in the recruitmet episodes against Gohan, but so did Krillin, and we know how far he got.
No one would be as happy as me to be proven wrong, but as things are now, i see little reason for optimism.
namekiansaiyan wrote:
I'm sure he will fight against the namekians, but I'm not sure about the "big" thing. He may be trashed and need Gohan's help, or have an unimpresive fight and sacrifice to ring out one of them. Sorry to sound like such a downer, but regarding Piccolo I think is better to keep expectatives low. He certainly is not gonna reach a "just-below-saiyans" tier.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:34 am

larzooma wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
larzooma wrote:
True it's very unlikely, and wouldn't really utilize the new Namekians to the fullest. I'd prefer a simple form change with a significant multiplier. Piccolo is already incredibly strong for a base character. All he needs is a decent multiplier to rival the top tier warriors.
I don't think there is anything wrong with fusion per se, but I would like an alternative. The scenario you described about a possible alliance between U6 and U7 that has the namekians offering themselves to fuse with Piccolo after finding out U7 will use their wish to restore the universes has crossed my mind as well, and it's not unlikely that the writers thought about it too. Given how much they love to reuse old concepts, (Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan a million times etc) it's quite possible we'll be seeing the namekians fusion make a comeback.

That, or they'll use the fusion dance :lol: Less permanent, same results. Everyone gets to go home to their respective universes at the end of the day. :)
Kanassa wrote:

Will they provide some Namekian lore for a potential Power up that does not exist yet for any Namekian?
None of the above. Piccolo, at best, will get a cool fight to show he's the top Namekian. If he was getting a power up or transformation, Toei would have spoiled it by now. Just like they spoiled Caulifla, Goku and Kale's transformations.
I supposed that's the biggest indicator that nothing too grand will happen with the namekians. They sure do love to telegraph their upcomming big moments and while keeping the namekians out of sight is indeed suspicious, I doubt it's because they want to surprise us with a jaw-dropping reveal or something .
Last edited by Michsi on Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:42 am

Kanassa wrote:

We have not even seen them yet and don't seem like they are appearing anytime soon either.
Majin Jator wrote:
larzooma wrote:
He was trashed in the "resurrection of F" arc, and was little more than a plot device in the Champa Arc to make Goku fight again (admitedly , Toei tried to make him look as good as possible between the confines of Toriyama script). He did well in the recruitmet episodes against Gohan, but so did Krillin, and we know how far he got.
No one would be as happy as me to be proven wrong, but as things are now, i see little reason for optimism.
namekiansaiyan wrote:
I'm sure he will fight against the namekians, but I'm not sure about the "big" thing. He may be trashed and need Gohan's help, or have an unimpresive fight and sacrifice to ring out one of them. Sorry to sound like such a downer, but regarding Piccolo I think is better to keep expectatives low. He certainly is not gonna reach a "just-below-saiyans" tier.
If you can't find optimism now as a Piccolo fan then you will never becuase if you can't be excited for Namekians when one actually looks like Piccolo then I don't know what you will get excited for.

Gohan is the one who has needed the help so far and seems to be having a tough fighy again soon. Why does everyone always think that Piccolo is going to sacrifice himself for Gohan? He has already done this once so I doubt he will do it again.

The Namekians are either going to be the biggest surprise or the worst one. We will most likely not see them until after the special.