Rate the Tournament of Power Episodes, Part 1: Episodes 97-106

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Rate the Tournament of Power Episodes, Part 1: Episodes 97-106

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:Indeed Nice Job on the Thread Tombstone1988, Indeed I enjoyed it and was happy to Give My Views and Express my Opinions on the Episodes!

Just one question, but if you say No that is ok, I was thinking about it overnight and I just want to change my Ratings for 2 of the Episodes ~~~~ BUT I see now you did an averaging of them, so I am holding on right now. Could I make my changes or should I not make a changes?

I will wait for you response, either way it ok. ;)
That's perfectly fine. I'm an accountant by trade; editing a few values for averages is no problem at all.
Thanks Allot for that, Means allot! :)

Ok So It will Not Let me Edit My Post, So here is My 2 Changes I LIKE TO Make!

Episode 101:

Original ~~~ Episode 101 ~~~ 3/10
NEW ~~~ Episode 101 ~~~ 1.5/10!

Episode 102:

Original ~~~ Episode 102 ~~~ 9.5/10 (first half), 6/10 (second half)
New ~~~ Episode 102 ~~~ 9.5/10!
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Nekis13
Regular

Post by Nekis13 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:41 pm

I'll give this a try

Episode 97: Well, this one was kinda messy overall, but given the nature of a huge battle royale I guess it makes sense it would be chaos. 6/10
Episode 98: Much better than the before. Kind of disappointing to see the wolf pack go out so fast, but they had some good action and everything felt so tense when they were erased it made up for it. 8/10
Episode 99: First half was decent. Second half really picked up with a cool scene from Higashide and good fight overall from Krillin. Then he's knocked out, ouch. 8/10
Episode 100: First episode I outright disliked. Everything that wasn't Kale (apart from her Puny God sequence) was fine. Jiren wasn't very noteworthy either. 4/10
Episode 101: Makes up for the mess that was 100, and actually gives Kale something to set her apart from just being a Broly Clone. 7.5/10
Episode 102: Great episode. Brianne is a funny parody of the Magical Girl genre and 17 is just the bomb. 8.5/10
Episode 103: First half was good. Second half was very good though. Obuni was interesting and his fight Gohan was pretty well animated along with Piccolo's fight. That small moment of silence with Gohan really set the tone for the episode. 8.5/10
Episode 104: Holy shit, that was an explosion of action. Hit is amazing and Dyspo's ability is quite unique. The soundtrack was on point and SSG's return made me happy, even if it was brief. Definitely the best Tournament episode and one of Super's best so far (maybe one of the best of the franchise in my opinion). 9.5/10
Episode 105: Nice Episode to show Roshi's worth of being in the tournament. I actually caught some feels at the end. 8/10
Episode 106: Kinda boring but the snipers abilities were cool. I feel kinda bad for Tien but, he had to go eventually. 7/10

I've been enjoying the Tournament so far, but overrall I still prefer the Future Trunks Arc over it.
stay edgy

DeviantArt Thing: Drawings and stuff, also Dragon Ball

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:16 pm

Current Aggregate Scores:
Note: All values are rounded up for the sake of consistency.

-Episode 97: 5.43/10 (up from 5.38/10)
-Episode 98: 6.74/10 (up from 6.63/10)
-Episode 99: 6.77/10 (up from 6.67/10)
-Episode 100: 5.48/10 (down from 5.60/10)
-Episode 101: 5.74/10 (up from 5.71/10)
-Episode 102: 7.16/10 (up from 6.94/10)
-Episode 103: 7.31/10 (up from 7.21/10)
-Episode 104: 8.09/10 (up from 7.96/10)
-Episode 105: 8.20/10 (down from 8.21/10)
-Episode 106: 4.74/10 (up from 4.55/10)
-Overall: 6.45/10 (up from 6.37/10)
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:42 pm

It looks like my 9.5 score for 100 is one of only two keeping it from falling below the bottom spot so far. What can I say, out of all of them it's the one I go back and rewatch scenes from the most. I'll take pride in keeping my beautiful Saiyan daughters above the Tien shitshow.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:51 pm

Kataphrut wrote:It looks like my 9.5 score for 100 is one of only two keeping it from falling below the bottom spot so far. What can I say, out of all of them it's the one I go back and rewatch scenes from the most. I'll take pride in keeping my beautiful Saiyan daughters above the Tien shitshow.
I am Glad you Gave it such a High Score, I feel that episode is dumb down way to much. I enjoyed Caulifla's Fight with Goku, it Felt Historic the 1st Super Saiyan Male fighting the 1st Super Saiyan Female, that gave me a moment their!

Also I enjoyed Kale's Rampage and it's homage to the Original Broly Movie, honestly this episode did allot of good for me liking Caulifla and Kale, I know it did not for others but did for me! :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:15 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote: I am Glad you Gave it such a High Score, I feel that episode is dumb down way to much. I enjoyed Caulifla's Fight with Goku, it Felt Historic the 1st Super Saiyan Male fighting the 1st Super Saiyan Female, that gave me a moment their!

Also I enjoyed Kale's Rampage and it's homage to the Original Broly Movie, honestly this episode did allot of good for me liking Caulifla and Kale, I know it did not for others but did for me! :thumbup:
It was Goku vs Caulifla that really put it up there for me. It was such a fun fight seeing a pair of battle-hardy idiots going at each other, plus they have a better master-student dynamic than Vegeta and Cabba did. The Kale stuff was alright, i was lukewarm on it initially but it has grown on me. Seeing the response to it made me realise how stacked the deck was against her, because fans tend to either love Broly or hate him. The ones that hate him would be furious at seeing a walking reference to him in a canon work, the ones that love him would be too busy getting worked up over the power scaling of the Kamehameha walk scene to appreciate the homage ;)

But the rest of it was good too. People have pointed out the bit with 18 chewing out Krillin, and yeah that's pretty bad. But I consider it more of a coda to 99 and I barely remember it when i think about the episode. This was also the episode that cemented Hit as the best team leader of the tournament, between his cool takedown of Narirama, his ringside assist of Caulfila and his brief staredown with Jiren.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 am

Kataphrut wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote: I am Glad you Gave it such a High Score, I feel that episode is dumb down way to much. I enjoyed Caulifla's Fight with Goku, it Felt Historic the 1st Super Saiyan Male fighting the 1st Super Saiyan Female, that gave me a moment their!

It was Goku vs Caulifla that really put it up there for me. It was such a fun fight seeing a pair of battle-hardy idiots going at each other, plus they have a better master-student dynamic than Vegeta and Cabba did. The Kale stuff was alright, i was lukewarm on it initially but it has grown on me. Seeing the response to it made me realise how stacked the deck was against her, because fans tend to either love Broly or hate him. The ones that hate him would be furious at seeing a walking reference to him in a canon work, the ones that love him would be too busy getting worked up over the power scaling of the Kamehameha walk scene to appreciate the homage ;)

But the rest of it was good too. People have pointed out the bit with 18 chewing out Krillin, and yeah that's pretty bad. But I consider it more of a coda to 99 and I barely remember it when i think about the episode. This was also the episode that cemented Hit as the best team leader of the tournament, between his cool takedown of Narirama, his ringside assist of Caulfila and his brief staredown with Jiren.
Everything not involving either Kale, Caulfla or Goku(AKA the three worst characters in Dragonball and arguably in fiction) was actually pretty solid. I liked Cabba's showdown with Vegeta and the other universe 6 fighters, and Hit really is the most likeable person from universe 6.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:22 am

Episode 100 was a very "love it or hate it" episode when it comes to the second half, as the massive Broly tribute dominated that part of the episode. If we assume a score of 5/10 is about average, Episode 100 having a current aggregate score a little above that makes pretty good sense in my mind. Some people are gonna love the tribute, others are gonna hate it, and the scores balance out for about an average ranking. The two current scores that currently stick out the most to me are those for episodes 101 and 102.

Episode 101 was an episode that I remembered being generally well-received in the episode discussion thread (consensus seemed to be "pretty good, better than last week's episode at least"). Currently, the episode has just as many "below average" scores (less than a 5/10) as episode 100. I had assumed I was in the minority in thinking it was one of the weaker episodes of the arc due to its weaker writing and me putting a higher personal emphasis on the show's writing. Guess this is a good lesson for me in not making assumptions.

Episode 102 also stands out to me for almost the opposite reason. I remember vividly people saying that this was another "love it or hate it" episode due to the nature of the first half of the episode. Speaking personally, the second half of the episode was definitely enjoyable, but the first half was just... it was so slow. There was tons of re-used animation, the action was minimal, and most of the writing consisted of poking fun at magical girl tropes. I admittedly don't have a lot of experience with that genre. I've never seen PreCure (I believe that's what it's called), but I remember Sailor Moon from it airing on Toonami, and I hated Sailor Moon. The comedy for episode 102 just didn't click with me. More than that, though, having an entire half on an episode devoted to satire/parody in a tournament for the Universal Survival Arc felt like a massive tonal shift to me. We're in the middle of determining the fates of billions, perhaps trillions of sentient lifeforms across 8 universes; it just doesn't seem like the right time for a bunch of gags. Anyway, I don't know if it's because I remember the "love it or hate it" responses too vividly or initial reactions have mellowed or I'm just a crazy person that places too much emphasis on narrative tone (Maybe it's all three?), but I guess the high score sort of surprised me. This is another good lesson for me in that different people have different tastes and enjoy different things.

Final thoughts for this post: I've really enjoyed all these reviews as they've definitely given me some better insight into both Super and the community. People, particularly stubborn old mules like myself, can definitely get locked into a narrow mindset when viewing or discussing a show like Super. Getting to see different perspectives and broaden that mindset is always interesting to me, in that regard. So props to all of you! :clap:
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:16 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:Episode 100 was a very "love it or hate it" episode when it comes to the second half, as the massive Broly tribute dominated that part of the episode. If we assume a score of 5/10 is about average, Episode 100 having a current aggregate score a little above that makes pretty good sense in my mind. Some people are gonna love the tribute, others are gonna hate it, and the scores balance out for about an average ranking. The two current scores that currently stick out the most to me are those for episodes 101 and 102.

Episode 101 was an episode that I remembered being generally well-received in the episode discussion thread (consensus seemed to be "pretty good, better than last week's episode at least"). Currently, the episode has just as many "below average" scores (less than a 5/10) as episode 100. I had assumed I was in the minority in thinking it was one of the weaker episodes of the arc due to its weaker writing and me putting a higher personal emphasis on the show's writing. Guess this is a good lesson for me in not making assumptions.

Episode 102 also stands out to me for almost the opposite reason. I remember vividly people saying that this was another "love it or hate it" episode due to the nature of the first half of the episode. Speaking personally, the second half of the episode was definitely enjoyable, but the first half was just... it was so slow. There was tons of re-used animation, the action was minimal, and most of the writing consisted of poking fun at magical girl tropes. I admittedly don't have a lot of experience with that genre. I've never seen PreCure (I believe that's what it's called), but I remember Sailor Moon from it airing on Toonami, and I hated Sailor Moon. The comedy for episode 102 just didn't click with me. More than that, though, having an entire half on an episode devoted to satire/parody in a tournament for the Universal Survival Arc felt like a massive tonal shift to me. We're in the middle of determining the fates of billions, perhaps trillions of sentient lifeforms across 8 universes; it just doesn't seem like the right time for a bunch of gags. Anyway, I don't know if it's because I remember the "love it or hate it" responses too vividly or initial reactions have mellowed or I'm just a crazy person that places too much emphasis on narrative tone (Maybe it's all three?), but I guess the high score sort of surprised me. This is another good lesson for me in that different people have different tastes and enjoy different things.

Final thoughts for this post: I've really enjoyed all these reviews as they've definitely given me some better insight into both Super and the community. People, particularly stubborn old mules like myself, can definitely get locked into a narrow mindset when viewing or discussing a show like Super. Getting to see different perspectives and broaden that mindset is always interesting to me, in that regard. So props to all of you! :clap:
Yeah, I think we can all agree though that the Broly references in episode 100, were pretty in-your-face, I think it would have been better if they did something original with the concept instead of just making references for marketing purposes.
101 was just boring, probably due to the lack of focus on individual battles, there really isn't much to say about it outside of that.
Though I did like 102's first half, I agree with you that it was way too slow. The joke itself wasn't bad, but it's execution did leave a bit to be desired. The second half was far more entertaining.