The ToP started at 97 and we're now at 107 . How would you rank the episodes and the tournament as a whole thus far?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The ToP started at 97 and we're now at 107 . How would you rank the episodes and the tournament as a whole thus far?

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Asura wrote:
The gr wrote:I just hope this arc get better because I really liked Episode 107
Well judging by the ratings you gave every episode and how most of the beginning episodes you rated poorly and the later episodes you've been rating highly, it looks like you're already aware that it's getting better.

People hating 101 but loving 102 still boggles my mind though :crazy: . To each his own.

I think this will be an arc that will be remembered for what's going to be happening towards the middle/end. I'd say we're just starting to get into the middle now since episode 104. I think it will kind of be like the Buu saga which started off really slow but started getting interesting after Buu was released, and then started getting even more interesting once Super Buu came in to the picture. Funny enough, the Buu saga is also the most controversial arc in DBZ, with people either loving it or hating it. The ToP is already the same way.
It does come down to an interesting conversation if one is interested in what it means. If you have been around forums and Comics as long as I have finding fans like something other don't and vice-versa is more of the real norm then anything else.

It is the term I call "The Uniqueness of Fandom!"

We are each looking for something different in what we watch and get what we desire in different forms. In Comics or Anime it boils down towards that same formal and that is a good thing. Nothing I have ever seen has ended up being Universal this or that, anything even the most seemingly critical acclaimed have those that don't like them or the most universally hate have their fans, it what makes all of this "Uniqueness of Fandom" a idealism of Humanity itself and how different we each are.

Indeed then can be summed up like that, each their own, an ideal that goes right with the Uniqueness of Fandom.

I think as long as one can give reasons why they Like Things others may not get, then near anything is fair game to be Enjoyed to whatever levels that fan does cause they gain so much out of that and helps movie the Franchise forward by being apart of it in their own Unique way, aka Like Me and My Love for Episodes like 102 and 103! ;) :lol: :thumbup:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

perucho1990
I Live Here

Re: The ToP started at 97 and we're now at 107 . How would you rank the episodes and the tournament as a whole thus far?

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Asura wrote:
Well judging by the ratings you gave every episode and how most of the beginning episodes you rated poorly and the later episodes you've been rating highly, it looks like you're already aware that it's getting better.

People hating 101 but loving 102 still boggles my mind though :crazy: . To each his own.

I think this will be an arc that will be remembered for what's going to be happening towards the middle/end. I'd say we're just starting to get into the middle now since episode 104. I think it will kind of be like the Buu saga which started off really slow but started getting interesting after Buu was released, and then started getting even more interesting once Super Buu came in to the picture. Funny enough, the Buu saga is also the most controversial arc in DBZ, with people either loving it or hating it. The ToP is already the same way.
Some people hate 101 because Yamagushi bringing the biggest amount of fake tension in the ToP, and no giving an explanation why Kale could control her berserk form.

And he is going to write episode 109(first part of the special), so get ready for Jiren vs Base Goku.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:07 pm

MajinMan wrote:Wasn't there a thread asking the same thing as this one, but was created after episode 106 aired? Do we need a weekly "rate the entire tournament" thread?
Well, I mean, technically my thread was rate the episodes, whereas this one is rank the episodes. There is a bit of a difference. Plus, I'm sure there were plenty of people who weren't present here during the two weeks of inactivity from Super.

So, if I were ranking the episodes, I'd probably say:

#11.) Episode 102 - I liked the second half of the episode; 17 was also good throughout the episode. The entire first half was essentially one big gag on magical girl tropes though, and I just did not care one bit about it. Simple as that.

#10.) Episode 100 - Parts of the first half of the episode were okay. Everything involving Kale was pretty much Broly tribute garbage in my opinion, though.

#9.) Episode 101 - Some of the action was pretty good this episode. Goku and 18 teaming up, even just briefly, was cool. The writing for this episode was just so bad though. Pointless tension with Tupper and Caulifla staying in base form while being attacked by a strong opponent are just completely nonsensical.

#8.) Episode 106 - The first half does a fairly good job setting up a threatening scenario for Gohan and Piccolo. Then Goku and Vegeta wander in and the episode becomes a giant mess. This was Tien's first and last time in the spotlight this tournament, and he (mostly) looked like trash. Basically, a good set-up with a terrible execution.

#7.) Episode 98 - This episode has one major flaw: a bunch of weak opponents are fighting two characters who are way, WAY stronger than them, leading to a complete lack of tension. If you can get past that, the action is pretty good. If you're like me, it basically ruins most of the episode. This one did have the best ending to an episode so far, though.

#6.) Episode 97 - Only half of this episode was really the tournament. As I've said before, this episode is fine in a bubble. However, when you look at events that occur here and then events that occur in later episodes, there are tons of inconsistencies here. As an example, 18 apparently went from fighting Cocotte here to knocking out a bunny girl next episode with no proper transition.

#5.) Episode 103 - If this episode were just Gohan and Piccolo vs. the universe 10 fighters, this episode would have been great. Unfortunately, it isn't. Gohan vs. Botamo is still my current pick for worst fight in this tournament. The continuation of the fights with the Kamikaze Fireballs are good, but they ultimately amount to nothing and take time away from the main event.

#4.) Episode 105 - This episode is really good. Roshi showcases skills he hasn't really gotten to since the original series. This episode also handles Goku as a character better than most episodes of Super. This episode does have a few flaws that bring it down for me though, mostly the entire sequence with Caway and personal gripes with Ganos's portrayal.

#3.) Episode 99 - This episode was great. Botamo and Megetta teaming up was kind of cool, Krillin and 18 teaming up was awesome, and Krillin got to bring back his original Dragon Ball ingenuity. However, this episode is the first episode to truly highlight how empty the tournament stage constantly feels. Frost also could have used better build-up during the episode.

#2.) Episode 107 - I loved the most recent episode. Frost and Megetta teaming up was cool albeit short, Frost reversing the Mafuba and using it on Vegeta was fantastic, and Roshi had a satisfying conclusion to his arc this tournament. This episode just works. I only really had a few minor gripes, like where Roshi got the energy to use two more Mafubas so quickly.

#1.) Episode 104 - Barring Super Saiyan God having zero explanation, this episode is fantastic. Watching Hit use various tactics to eventually take down Dyspo and Kunshi is just entertaining. No matter my complaints on the show's writing, I still watch the Dragon Ball series for the action first and foremost. This episode delivers the best action in the tournament so far.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:36 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:#11.) Episode 102 - I liked the second half of the episode; 17 was also good throughout the episode. The entire first half was essentially one big gag on magical girl tropes though, and I just did not care one bit about it. Simple as that.
While I Never have a problem with anyone that does not like any episode cause everyone has the right to like what they want at the level that they want so long as it does not result in malice, their is one thing I keep reading about Episode 102 that honest is a mis-interpretation of the episode.

While I have agreed the episode was a funny parody, apart of it, with the Magical Girl Tropes in funny yet respectful way, Honestly it was also a Funny Parody that was NOT JUST aimed at that, but Aimed at also the Continued Trope in Dragon Ball and other Anime and Manga series about powering up.

It was a shot joke aimed at dragon ball characters whether good or bad guys that let the other foe just power-up while standing around and really no one ever really doing anything about it, just letting it happen. It is something I think that gets lost in the definition of the episode that is was JUST about how long Magical Girl Transformations can be, but I feel to many have been just letting the Girls take that hit and not taking into account it was a fair Aim at all of Dragon Ball threw-out its history of letting power-ups happen and in other action animes that let this happen as well.

So it was a funny joke, but one that should be equal in view of the hit against ALL these kinds of power-ups that happen right in from of ones foes and not one does anything about it.

What this also will make me do from now on is that if Any Dragon Ball Character powers-ups up and it takes so long I will be timing it and see how long people stood around and let it happen, LOL! :lol: :mrgreen:

Quick note too ~~~ In Sailor Moon with all the Episodes I can remember of all the Transformations, at the VERY Least, 95-97% of all the times the Girls Transformed, it was not in-front of any people or espically their foes. They Transformed in secret in the same way Clark Kent or Peter Parker change into Superman or Spider-Man, away from others. So why I still found the joke in 102 funny, it was not a clear representation of the Truth of the Source Material it made the joke at either ~ Just Food For Thought! ;)
My #1 in DB!

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 pm

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
Tombstone1988 wrote:#11.) Episode 102 - I liked the second half of the episode; 17 was also good throughout the episode. The entire first half was essentially one big gag on magical girl tropes though, and I just did not care one bit about it. Simple as that.
While I Never have a problem with anyone that does not like any episode cause everyone has the right to like what they want at the level that they want so long as it does not result in malice, their is one thing I keep reading about Episode 102 that honest is a mis-interpretation of the episode.

While I have agreed the episode was a funny parody, apart of it, with the Magical Girl Tropes in funny yet respectful way, Honestly it was also a Funny Parody that was NOT JUST aimed at that, but Aimed at also the Continued Trope in Dragon Ball and other Anime and Manga series about powering up.

It was a shot joke aimed at dragon ball characters whether good or bad guys that let the other foe just power-up while standing around and really no one ever really doing anything about it, just letting it happen. It is something I think that gets lost in the definition of the episode that is was JUST about how long Magical Girl Transformations can be, but I feel to many have been just letting the Girls take that hit and not taking into account it was a fair Aim at all of Dragon Ball threw-out its history of letting power-ups happen and in other action animes that let this happen as well.

So it was a funny joke, but one that should be equal in view of the hit against ALL these kinds of power-ups that happen right in from of ones foes and not one does anything about it.

What this also will make me do from now on is that if Any Dragon Ball Character powers-ups up and it takes so long I will be timing it and see how long people stood around and let it happen, LOL! :lol: :mrgreen:

Quick note too ~~~ In Sailor Moon with all the Episodes I can remember of all the Transformations, at the VERY Least, 95-97% of all the times the Girls Transformed, it was not in-front of any people or espically their foes. They Transformed in secret in the same way Clark Kent or Peter Parker change into Superman or Spider-Man, away from others. So why I still found the joke in 102 funny, it was not a clear representation of the Truth of the Source Material it made the joke at either ~ Just Food For Thought! ;)
For me personally my problem with the episode was not the magical girl tropes, I've seen the entirety of Sailor Moon before and I really liked it. The problem I found was the repeated use of animation. It was the worst out of any episode of Super I've ever seen. Possibly the worst out of the entire Dragon Ball franchise. Magical girl shows do repeat animation, but usually only for the transformation sequences, sometimes attack animations. There was a lot more repeating animation going on in that episode outside of the transformation sequences. So the entire "magical girl reusing their transformation animation!" gag was pretty much lost in a sea of other animations being repeated over and over again. I could dig the jokes with 17 blasting them out of their transformation and Toppo and Goku lecturing him, I could dig the transformations themselves, but what I didn't dig was repeated animation on top of A SECOND re-used transformation scene. I don't remember many times in Sailor Moon where they did the exact same transformation with everyone reacting like, 2 minutes apart from each other as if it was temporarily stuck on a time loop or something.

To me, the problem was not that the episode was a magical girl gag, it was the fact that the magical girl gag completely missed and so we just got an episode which is half disjointed reanimated clusterfuck and half actual competent episode. It was like someone was looming over them saying "I want this to be the laziest looking episode in the entire arc, do me proud."

But you know what, if that abhorrent level of laziness made it so they could instead spend more time instead working on an episode like 104 or 105 or 107, then I can be happy that 102 exists.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:55 pm

Asura wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:

For me personally my problem with the episode was not the magical girl tropes, I've seen the entirety of Sailor Moon before and I really liked it. The problem I found was the repeated use of animation. It was the worst out of any episode of Super I've ever seen. Possibly the worst out of the entire Dragon Ball franchise. Magical girl shows do repeat animation, but usually only for the transformation sequences, sometimes attack animations. There was a lot more repeating animation going on in that episode outside of the transformation sequences. So the entire "magical girl reusing their transformation animation!" gag was pretty much lost in a sea of other animations being repeated over and over again. I could dig the jokes with 17 blasting them out of their transformation and Toppo and Goku lecturing him, I could dig the transformations themselves, but what I didn't dig was repeated animation on top of A SECOND re-used transformation scene. I don't remember many times in Sailor Moon where they did the exact same transformation with everyone reacting like, 2 minutes apart from each other as if it was temporarily stuck on a time loop or something.

To me, the problem was not that the episode was a magical girl gag, it was the fact that the magical girl gag completely missed and so we just got an episode which is half disjointed reanimated clusterfuck and half actual competent episode. It was like someone was looming over them saying "I want this to be the laziest looking episode in the entire arc, do me proud."

But you know what, if that abhorrent level of laziness made it so they could instead spend more time instead working on an episode like 104 or 105 or 107, then I can be happy that 102 exists.
Honestly I completely get that point and why it would not work with many and how it can be that kind of level of a misshot, so that is perfectly understandable, so your points are vauled and well said. :thumbup:

I am also glad you watched Sailor Moon and Liked it, Major :thumbup: To You my Fellow Poster and Fan!

It is just for Fans like me and Only me and it does not have to Involve ANYONE else but I have meet others I am sure did like this too ~~~~~ I REALLY Enjoyed Every moment of 102, even the Recyled Stuff.

It is that stuff I live for, the Magical Girls, the Animations, the whole of the Mythos. Even if done a 2nd time I get the joke and really just have fun with it. It is that stuff that KEPT me here in the 1st place, it is episodes like 91 and 102 and 103 for any reason why I am giving Super a chance finally, why I am adding to its ratings and talk when just 6 months ago I could give less of much care cause it never grab me and made me care much even when I tried.

What my point in saying is that for Ever-fan that finds something so much they don't like, their are other Fans that Honestly It fits Right Up their Ally. It is what WE Live for and what we Honestly Love and I very happy it exists cause if re-done moments if they are what I want, I will like watching them again, it is the Uniqueness of Fandom, the Uniqueness of Fans we all Meet.

I just like to share that, give a voice to the ideal to show......Heck It exists :lol: and that is really it, not to say you have to like this or that, but that their is love for something others don't love and we will celebrate it for a longtime to come, for getting US to Care about Super and Dragon Ball as a Thing Again.

That is my main points about that, Honor and Peace to all. 8)

My #1 in DB!

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:04 pm

#11 Episdode 99

Don't like Krillin as a character so him getting his own full ep didn't exactly thrill me. Love the teamwork and strategy, though.

#10 Episdode 102 & 106

Laughed throughout, but probably the worst objectively. Episode 106 speaks for itself.

#9 Episode 103

Don't like Gohan, but It was nice seeing real consequences effecting him.

#8 Episdode 105

I enjoy Roshi much more than the rest of the Humans, so him getting an epic almost sendoff was really nice to see. But most of the gals getting fodderized pissed me off a bit so it's at the end of the list.

#6 Episode 102

The episode that gave Kale and Caulifla an epic moment, and turned Kale into prime waifu material.

#5 Episode 104

seeing a Speedster in any form of media is really nice. Pretty high-tier for an action episode.

#4 Episode 98

Probably one of the few episode in the entirety of Super that I felt a bit sad and honestly shocked.

#3 Episode 97

Beggining of the Tournament. 'Nuff said.

#2 Episode 107

Frost was turned into an actual good character. He's a smart fighter in a lotta ways Frieza isn't, and probably would've gotten his revenge if Roshie didn't get a lucky shot.

#1 Episode 100

Probably one of, if not thee best episode of Super. Saiyan Vs. Saiyan fights always make my hair stand up on-end, and this episode was no exception. The fights were epic and the tension was tight. It also turned Kale into my favorite Dragon Ball character ever.

Plus the massive BUTTHURT of powerscalers and like were enough to fill my tear cup for centuries.
Feels over Reals.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:While I Never have a problem with anyone that does not like any episode cause everyone has the right to like what they want at the level that they want so long as it does not result in malice, their is one thing I keep reading about Episode 102 that honest is a mis-interpretation of the episode.

At this point, I've probably spent more time talking about this episode than I have actually watching it, so I tend to paraphrase my thoughts on the episode as I did in this thread. However, I assure you that I am well aware of the points you bring up in your post, and they are fair points. Like Asura said, the episode's big problem is that the constant re-used animation makes the first half of the episode disjointed and not all that enjoyable for people like myself. When it comes to this board though, I'm probably in the minority that hasn't watched many magical girls shows; in fact, the only real exposure to the genre I have is Sailor Moon, and I hated the show. In addition, I've seen Dragon Ball power-ups parodied online so much over the years that Super doing so now did nothing for me. So, between re-used animation, a lack of interest in the magical girl genre, and utilizing a joke I've seen made for literal decades, episode 102 just didn't hit home for me. That's not even taking into account the tonal shift the episode has in comparison to the rest of the tournament.

To each their own though. :thumbup:
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:11 am

gammabeast21 wrote:11. Episode 100:
This episode really rubbed me the wrong way. Caulifla gaining SSJ2 after asking Goku "It's the tingly feeling right?" Goku says "something like that." Then she transforms into into the form with no signs of rage like when Gohan first did it. Then we have Broly references incarnate - Kale. I don't have a problem with Kale's character it's just that you when she's there meaningful storytelling flies out the window. Goku continues to hold back just enough to create false tension. Luckily Hire steps in to end this nonsense.

10. Episode 101:
You could probably guess that this would be my next least favourite episode. Caulifla and Goku fight in their base just to create some more false tension, but this time Caulifla getting owned in her base actually leads to Kale transforming so that she can save Caulifla who was never in any real danger. Kale's new form doesn't add anything as she proceeds to transform into SS Berserker but now she somehow has control meaning she doesn't need the other form. I didn't have a problem with 5 pride troopers being eliminated but there powers could have been used in a much more effective way than what it was. For me 18 and 17 saved the episode from being the worst with there calm and collected attitudes.

9. Episode 97:
None if the episodes from here on are terrible. This episode accomplished what it needed to which was show the chaos of a battle royal. That said it was still too scattered to really keep track if anything or be invested in anything happening. Goku going Blue in the first episode of the tournament, because it just reminds how his always holding back and that their any tension with him unless gets beaten in SSB.

8. Episode 106:
This episode tried something different was Z-style brawling but rather analytical strategic battles. Where positioning and teamwork was key. We get to see Piccolo's strategic side in this episode. Tien gets his one and only for great super moment which is chasing down the sniper so that he can't help Prum. His eyesight saves the day- something hasn't been a factor since OG Dragon ball. We also got he great gag of Doctor Rota's Ability.

7. Episode 99:
Krillin reminds us in this episode that it wasn't his strength that kept him alive the Freeze Saga but his tactics and techniques. In this episode we get to see more of the power couple that is Krillin and 18 as they perform one of the best tag team sequences in the tournament so far. Not to mention he saved her from a ring out. We then get to Krillin defeat an opponent who We didn't think he could defeat. This is when Krillin shows us once again that power isn't everything in the tournament of power. He got eliminated for being which I can't blame as I probably would pretty cocktail if I had streak like Krillin.

6. Episode 98:
U9 vs Goku and Vegeta was good but had the potential to be great. This episode links the preliminaries to the TOP with U9 wanting their revenge. This episode displays The Trio De Dangers brotherly bond through their fighting styles. The Dangers Triangle is a formation the brothers literally all have each others back and it seg ways the theme that you don't have to be the strongest if you're tactics are good enough. This episode also provides the views with great satisfaction of seeing Ro get erased.

5. Episode 103:
It starts off great with more Shoujo references between Ribrianne and 17 as well Goku struggling against Rozie because she utilises actual martial arts LOL. It then segways into the lowest point of this episode which is Gohan vs Botamo. This fight was just plain stupid. We then get highlight if the episode Gohan vs Obuni. Obuni through use of his strange technique is able to push Gohan to Ultimate. Beerus comments how both fighters are giving their all. We also get to see the two fighters trade names(a sign of respect). Gohan eliminates Obuni leading to U10's erasure. We get to see show not tell seen of Gohan coming to grips with the consequences of his actions.

4. Episode 104:
Hit vs Dyspo. This episode was great because of how it focused on just one fight. The fight could develop from Hit being owned to Hit advancing to to defeat Dyspo and them Kunshi and Goku stepping in to help out. SSG was a problem for me because of how little explanation there was. It was like they expected the viewer to have read the manga which shouldn't be a must. Just the spectacle of Goku and Hit teaming up 2nd something to behold.

3. Episode 102:
Now most might have this as their worst episode but I look at in the larger spectrum of the whole franchise and even further beyond. The joke in this episode is something that will out last Kale's rampage or Goku and Hit teaming up. That is because it affects Shounen, Shoujo and Super Sent a tropes alike. Having Goku, Ribrianne and Toppo represent each trope was a treat as well. Then we have the Kusana vs 17 fight which was just pure badass from both parties whether it Kusana utilising the environment or 17 being calm and just getting the job done. This probably gas the most memorable scene out if any in this list.

2. Episode 105:
The Roshi episode. This one caught everyone by surprise myself included. Roshi displays the importance of Chastity, Strange techniques and experience. The last fight was by far the best not because if animation but what it represented. Old generation vs new generation and Students teaching the master a lesson. We also see the bond between Rossi and his students.

1. Episode 107:
The best episode by far whether you look at story, storyboarding, animation, voice acting, music placement and character interactions. A post I saw earlier really captured Frosts character. Which was how Freeza would be if he wasn't the strongest guy around and had to rely on other tactics to run his his empire. Frost displays his strategies prowess by immediately coming up with the plan to trap vegeta after experiencing the Mafuba once. Vegeta and Roshi for fall his plan hook, line and sinker. The 2nd of Magetta an Frost vs Vegeta had really good animation and choreography. Roshi eliminating himself because he was literally about die was great as also means no one actually eliminated him.He left voluntarily. There's probably more I could about this episode but my finger are really tired at this point so cheers.
Nice. This is actually pretty close to how I feel. Pretty much the same points I'd make too. I'd mix my ratings up a little though. As an aside, there seems to be a divide between those who like the Kamikaze Fireballs and those who like Kale and Caulifla. I see it a lot in episode reviews and ratings.

11. Episode 106 - This one just basically shits on every character involved and really made Tien out to be a pointless addition to the tourney. Very little logic was used outside of Piccolo's strategy and for all the abuse he and Gohan took, there was no payoff since Goku and Vegeta basically hijacked the episode with rock throwing shenanigans. Tien's "strategy" just made him look like an idiot. Hopefully the manga improves his performance. Villains had cool abilities but boring, ugly designs.

10. Episode 100
9. Episode 101
I just don't like Kale and Caulifla so far. Once some form of logic and originality infects these characters, maybe I will one day. 100 made me hate Caulifla a little less but shot my hatred of Kale up to over 9000. Because they took some time to build Caulifla up instead of giving away forms for free, I ended up rooting for her a little. In 101 I hated Kale a little less because they fleshed her out, but they are far from being good or well written characters and I always want to fast forward their parts.

8. Episode 103 - Piccolo finally gets a (short) fight & elimination. Gohan gets a neat fight. And we finally get some grounded empathy from one of the characters as Gohan laments his role in Universe 10's erasure. Too bad that Gohan vs. Botamo stupidity bogged this episode down.

7. Episode 99 - Krillin and #18 doing dope tag team moves, and the Kriller racking up a few eliminations in some neato fight sequences + there was all sorts of other stuff going on, never a dull moment, really.

6. Episode 98 - Tons of cool characters and abilities on display and at the end we witnessed everyone finally react to the true stakes of the tourney with fear and anger. Too bad that mood didn't stick.

5. Episode 102 - A very dumb episode, but one that was entertaining as all hell. The "tone shift" that effected other people didn't effect me, because this arc has yet to establish a tone. I'm surprised those people who bemoan this episode said nothing of every other episode after #98 when a whole universe and its people was erased in front of them. Then the next episode goes back to a bit of a somber tone after universe 10's elimination. So I can't blame this particular ep. for that. Anyways, I loved the character interactions here and the fights. Magical girls were hella unique and fun and so was #17.

4. Episode 107 - Really good. Good animation, cool moments, interesting character interactions and a good sendoff for Roshi. Frost really made this episode what it was and I would rate it higher if his plan had actually succeeded and he managed to eliminate Vegeta who's been acting like a fool throughout this whole tournament. Some logic slips bring the episode down too.

3. Episode 105 - Feels, awesome character comeback, a plethora of classic and useful techniques, and a unique feel to this particular episode of the show. Kinda felt like the original Dragon Ball for most of the episode. The only reason it's not higher is because of the weird power scaling, logic slips, and awkward design of Ganos' transformation.

2. Episode 104 - A really good and unique fight with a lot of thought put into it. I liked it. Shoehorned Goku and unexplained SSG brought the ep down a few notches for me, so did a few logic slips like Jiren and Toppo allowing all this to transpire while they watched. Hit's repeated animation was used in the best possible way, but I still take some points away from it.

1. Episode 97 - Speaking of repeated animation, this episode is the undisputed king, queen, and god of all on that front, but I still loved it. It set a great tone that the rest if the tournament doesn't even come close to capturing. It feels like utter chaos and pandemonium, not just isolated one on one fights like basically every other episodes. Other universes are actively doing stuff. Other universes get eliminations. Unlikely characters are shown to be effective in this setting and temporary alliances are formed to utilize teamwork for survival. This episode is almost like the perfect lie. It did everything it needed to get me hooked on this tournament. For instance, if episode 100 was the start, I would have known what to expect of this tournament and would have watched youtube clips of fights passively, but this got me hooked on the premise of the battle royale and I'm hoping for more craziness like this episode in the future, but as we get closer to the end, it's unlikely. The only negative points are that U7 spends its time turtled up in a circle and of course, the repeated animation, though I felt it was utilized quite well (for special attacks).
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 am

BWri wrote:The "tone shift" that effected other people didn't effect me, because this arc has yet to establish a tone. I'm surprised those people who bemoan this episode said nothing of every other episode after #98 when a whole universe and its people was erased in front of them. Then the next episode goes back to a bit of a somber tone after universe 10's elimination. So I can't blame this particular ep. for that.
I disagree. This is the "universal survival arc," where everyone is trying to survive. That's the tone/theme: "survival." After episode 98, we had a long sequence at the beginning of episode 99 showing various characters realizing the stakes of the tournament. Every other episode aside from 102 shows the competitors fighting to maintain their existence (even if the writing doesn't always do the best job at it). The first half of episode 102 halts that. The tone shifts from "survival" to "parody." There is a very clear difference between the attitude of the characters in episode 102 and the attitude of the characters in any other episode. It then reverts back to being about survival in the second half, with 17 fighting Kakunsa. Now, I'm not saying the first half of the episode is bad, even though I personally didn't like it. However, it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the episodes of the tournament thus far.

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:22 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:
BWri wrote:The "tone shift" that effected other people didn't effect me, because this arc has yet to establish a tone. I'm surprised those people who bemoan this episode said nothing of every other episode after #98 when a whole universe and its people was erased in front of them. Then the next episode goes back to a bit of a somber tone after universe 10's elimination. So I can't blame this particular ep. for that.
I disagree. This is the "universal survival arc," where everyone is trying to survive. That's the tone/theme: "survival." After episode 98, we had a long sequence at the beginning of episode 99 showing various characters realizing the stakes of the tournament. Every other episode aside from 102 shows the competitors fighting to maintain their existence (even if the writing doesn't always do the best job at it). The first half of episode 102 halts that. The tone shifts from "survival" to "parody." There is a very clear difference between the attitude of the characters in episode 102 and the attitude of the characters in any other episode. It then reverts back to being about survival in the second half, with 17 fighting Kakunsa. Now, I'm not saying the first half of the episode is bad, even though I personally didn't like it. However, it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the episodes of the tournament thus far.
Oh you mean #99 when Krillin stopped after a few victories and started cheering near the edge or the arena in the middle of a fight for the survival of his Universe, his wife and daughter. Or did it keep that survival tone in episode 100 where Caulifla badgered Goku into teaching her about SSJ2 and he actually took the time to do so, you know, his enemy who could use that knowledge to eliminate his friends in a tournament to determine which universe survives. Or in that same episode, when Kale cared more about Caulifla's praise than the erasure of her universe. How about #105 when Caway eliminates herself so that Roshi doesn't fondle her? You know, instead of staying in and being of more help to the survival of her universe. I could really go on and on as there's plenty of this "survival" tone being undermined in just about every episode of the tournament. They throw parody and humor wherever they can in this and it often undermines the feel of it. To me, the magical girl gag was just one of many and if I could suspend my disbelief with those that had very little payoff, I could easily suspend my disbelief for a gag as funny as the one in #102. Only at the end of #98, beginning of #99, #some of 103, and with Beerus' commentary is the survival angle of this thing even played up. I think you're equating "wanting to win fights" with survival, because really only Piccolo and Gohan feel like they're trying to survive.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:58 am

BWri wrote:
Tombstone1988 wrote:
Oh you mean #99 when Krillin stopped after a few victories and started cheering near the edge or the arena in the middle of a fight for the survival of his Universe, his wife and daughter. Or did it keep that survival tone in episode 100 where Caulifla badgered Goku into teaching her about SSJ2 and he actually took the time to do so, you know, his enemy who could use that knowledge to eliminate his friends in a tournament to determine which universe survives. Or in that same episode, when Kale cared more about Caulifla's praise than the erasure of her universe. How about #105 when Caway eliminates herself so that Roshi doesn't fondle her? You know, instead of staying in and being of more help to the survival of her universe. I could really go on and on as there's plenty of this "survival" tone being undermined in just about every episode of the tournament. They throw parody and humor wherever they can in this and it often undermines the feel of it. To me, the magical girl gag was just one of many and if I could suspend my disbelief with those that had very little payoff, I could easily suspend my disbelief for a gag as funny as the one in #102. Only at the end of #98, beginning of #99, #some of 103, and with Beerus' commentary is the survival angle of this thing even played up. I think you're equating "wanting to win fights" with survival, because really only Piccolo and Gohan feel like they're trying to survive.
The thing is though, this has been a problem since #97, or don't you remember the universe 10 flyer that forgot she had wings to fly with? Then there is that whole Goku shenanigins that was really dumb(in fact, Goku is a complete idiot throughout the majority of the tournament, so I won't hold that against #97).

Also, what are your thoughts of the survival aspect of episode 104?

BWri

Post by BWri » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:37 am

JazzMazz wrote: The thing is though, this has been a problem since #97, or don't you remember the universe 10 flyer that forgot she had wings to fly with?

Lol, funny enough, I did forget about that. I however didn't forget about half of U7's team recklessly running off as soon as the tournament started, and that recklessness nearly getting Android 18 eliminated, until Krillin left the survival circle to go save her. As soon as Goku and co. blatantly ignored their "leader" Gohan, I pretty much knew that survival would not be the main theme of the tournament.
Then there is that whole Goku shenanigins that was really dumb(in fact, Goku is a complete idiot throughout the majority of the tournament, so I won't hold that against #97).
Oh, him letting his guard down for the upteenth time and nearly getting eliminated by Nink right from the start? Yeah, that was stupid. For a tournament about survival, he sure did wait until the last minute to do anything about that situation. Could've teleported the guy in front of Vegeta or the rest of his team, but Goku always wants to have his fun.
Also, what are your thoughts of the survival aspect of episode 104?
It felt dire, as it needed to feel. I honestly thought both Hit and Dyspo were fighting to survive, and Dyspo relying on Kunshi drove that point home. Plus Kunshi sacrificing himself to protect a stronger member was a perfect survival strategy. The only things that undermine the survival aspect were Goku needlessly stepping in and saving a member of another universe though I wasn't bothered too much by this because they have history and a temporary alliance is sometimes a good strategy. But the worst part was Jiren and Toppo standing back and letting all this transpire. It was bad enough when Toppo sent 5 of his other Pride Troopers to the slaughter against U7 and U6, but letting Hit savage Dyspo like that and throw him off twice is just idiotic. Letting Kunshi go was just as bad, as he has a great "get out of jail free" ability.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 am

It's shockingly dull. I still haven't watched 106.

I feel like that's all down to the execution, because everything about this premise is fun.

Oh, ranking.

97-107: A blur of marginally interesting character spotlights. Ten-way tie.

Pin your hopes on Freeza.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tombstone1988 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:52 pm

BWri wrote:Oh you mean #99 when Krillin stopped after a few victories and started cheering near the edge or the arena in the middle of a fight for the survival of his Universe, his wife and daughter. Or did it keep that survival tone in episode 100 where Caulifla badgered Goku into teaching her about SSJ2 and he actually took the time to do so, you know, his enemy who could use that knowledge to eliminate his friends in a tournament to determine which universe survives. Or in that same episode, when Kale cared more about Caulifla's praise than the erasure of her universe. How about #105 when Caway eliminates herself so that Roshi doesn't fondle her? You know, instead of staying in and being of more help to the survival of her universe. I could really go on and on as there's plenty of this "survival" tone being undermined in just about every episode of the tournament. They throw parody and humor wherever they can in this and it often undermines the feel of it.
You're right, all these examples do undercut the tone, but you're also making an assumption with this post that I think every episode was flawless in execution. That's not the case at all. In fact, that's one of the arc's flaws; it is supposed to be about survival, but it constantly undermines itself. The Caway example is one of the biggest offenders, one I've been very vocally against. The point I was making wasn't that Super was doing theming perfectly except for episode 102. The point was that the tournament in general had a theme and episode 102 is almost the exact opposite of said theme. Compare episode 102 to episode 104 or the first half of episode 99 or even the first half of episode 106 (an episode that's not even that good) and you should see what I mean. It definitely "feels" different.
To me, the magical girl gag was just one of many and if I could suspend my disbelief with those that had very little payoff, I could easily suspend my disbelief for a gag as funny as the one in #102.
Humor is subjective, as are opinions. The point you're making here is "I found it funny, so it was fine." That's perfectly fine, you should enjoy what you enjoy. But "I like something" is not a strong argument against "this episode doesn't fit with the narrative flow of an arc."
I think you're equating "wanting to win fights" with survival, because really only Piccolo and Gohan feel like they're trying to survive.
Uh, yeah? Why wouldn't I equate "wanting to win fights" with survival? That's the basis of this arc. Win fights, stay alive. Lose fights, get erased. It's pretty cut-and-dry in that department. Unless your point is that survival should equate more to something akin to "The Hunger Games." In that sense, that's really more a case of semantics on the word survival.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:38 pm

I guess this thread is slightly different compared to the other thread, so I'll leave my rankings here too.

11. Episode 106 - Boring and uneventful. Lots of stupid things happen in this episode, and I feel there's no real focus.

10. Episode 100 - Probably worse than 106, but the first half saves it. Not a fan of Broly 2.0 at all.

9. Episode 97 - Way too chaotic. Nothing really happens, no real focus, but it isn't as dumb as the previous two episodes, so I guess it gets placed here.

8. Episode 101 - Has some pretty enjoyable elements, but Broly 2.0 ruins the mood.

7. Episode 99 - Nice Kuririn focused episode. It wasn't anything too great, but it wasn't bad either.

6. Episode 98 - I really liked the ominous ending. I also liked how Universe 9 actually ganged up on their opponents, even though they got completely destroyed.

5. Episode 103 - Again, the ending was fantastic. The fight with Obuni and Dreadlocks Boy was enjoyable. Loved how conflicted Gohan was at the end.

4. Episode 105 - Roshi doing his thing. His final speech was epic.

3. Episode 102 - Made me laugh on numerous occasions. I like it when Dragon Ball pokes fun at itself and other genres.

2. Episode 107 - Probably the most tension filled episode, mostly because of how good Frost is as a villain. I don't get the hate for this guy. Sure, he's another Freeza clone, but he's different enough to be his own character.

1. Episode 104 - Best action episode so far. Hit being a badass, Dyspo surpising many with his cool abilities, and the return of Super Saiyan God. Pretty damn good if I say so myself.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Tombstone1988 wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:While I Never have a problem with anyone that does not like any episode cause everyone has the right to like what they want at the level that they want so long as it does not result in malice, their is one thing I keep reading about Episode 102 that honest is a mis-interpretation of the episode.

At this point, I've probably spent more time talking about this episode than I have actually watching it, so I tend to paraphrase my thoughts on the episode as I did in this thread. However, I assure you that I am well aware of the points you bring up in your post, and they are fair points. Like Asura said, the episode's big problem is that the constant re-used animation makes the first half of the episode disjointed and not all that enjoyable for people like myself. When it comes to this board though, I'm probably in the minority that hasn't watched many magical girls shows; in fact, the only real exposure to the genre I have is Sailor Moon, and I hated the show. In addition, I've seen Dragon Ball power-ups parodied online so much over the years that Super doing so now did nothing for me. So, between re-used animation, a lack of interest in the magical girl genre, and utilizing a joke I've seen made for literal decades, episode 102 just didn't hit home for me. That's not even taking into account the tonal shift the episode has in comparison to the rest of the tournament.

To each their own though. :thumbup:
That is Cool, your a cool person and been great to Talk to You on this Subject! :thumbup:

I just wanted to make sure that point about the Episode 102 was brought to light that is really all, I felt it was overlooked the whole Power-Up Joke thing and I have seen it done myself in parodies allot too. Just something special when the show itself does that in canon! ;)

Finally, as before I never want to make this into an argument either cause I get that what I like others will not and that is ok, been that way for years with Comics, Video Games, Movies and other Anime Shows I like. More of my point as you said and I am glad you agree is to each their own and for me to show and make a Light to other fans that if you like something that maybe not many others don't, that is ok, be Proud of it and showcase it and GIVE it a Voice to show support BUT lay-off allot of negative arguments and hits on other fans for not agreeing, just know what you like and bring it to light, be proud of that and just say why, that is all! :D

Cool Taking to You Tombstone1988! :thumbup:
My #1 in DB!

BWri

Post by BWri » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:59 am

Tombstone1988 wrote:You're right, all these examples do undercut the tone, but you're also making an assumption with this post that I think every episode was flawless in execution. That's not the case at all. In fact, that's one of the arc's flaws; it is supposed to be about survival, but it constantly undermines itself. The Caway example is one of the biggest offenders, one I've been very vocally against. The point I was making wasn't that Super was doing theming perfectly except for episode 102. The point was that the tournament in general had a theme and episode 102 is almost the exact opposite of said theme. Compare episode 102 to episode 104 or the first half of episode 99 or even the first half of episode 106 (an episode that's not even that good) and you should see what I mean. It definitely "feels" different.
I'm not assuming that you believe every episode is flawless. I'm just saying that episode #102 doesn't break the tone, mood, or theme much more than any other episode of the arc so far. That's my whole point. It's not much more different than those other examples. I will agree that it is like a stronger example of it, but not by much. In each example, characters are temporarily made silly and dumb in order to push a gag which comes at the expense of the tone, mood, and theme that a tournament about survival should have. Caway eliminating herself when her universe's survival is on the line is just as silly and stupid as Toppo & Goku berating #17 and letting the magical girls transform.
Humor is subjective, as are opinions. The point you're making here is "I found it funny, so it was fine." That's perfectly fine, you should enjoy what you enjoy. But "I like something" is not a strong argument against "this episode doesn't fit with the narrative flow of an arc."
I'll grant you that, but I don't really think it's fine. I did call the episode stupid, because it's utterly stupid, but its stupidity that I can get on board with. This whole tournament is fairly mind numbing with some parts that are just dumb AND boring, but at least this was fun (to me and half the fandom anyway). I think it's the same for the half of the fanbase who like the Kale and Caulifla episodes. Those were at least fun to them, but to me dumb AND boring. My whole point was that a lot of people give episode #102 a lot of s*** for messing up the tone when really, no tone has been established for this tournament. It's been undermined since it started.
I think you're equating "wanting to win fights" with survival, because really only Piccolo and Gohan feel like they're trying to survive.
Uh, yeah? Why wouldn't I equate "wanting to win fights" with survival? That's the basis of this arc. Win fights, stay alive. Lose fights, get erased. It's pretty cut-and-dry in that department. Unless your point is that survival should equate more to something akin to "The Hunger Games." In that sense, that's really more a case of semantics on the word survival.
It is different. Survival is many things, but mainly it's a mindset. Wanting to win fights can lead to survival, but it alone is not survival. Goku is winning fights, right? But he's let several opponents from universe 6 go when he could've eliminated them to protect his universe. That's not a survival mindset. Those opponents can easily catch him or one of his teammates off guard later and eliminate them. Everyone seems to have this competitive attitude, which would be great if this was just a tourney for a simple prize, but its a survival tournament, so things should be much more dire. The difference between wanting to win fights and wanting to survive is apparent in how Goku is treating this tourney vs. how Gohan is treating this tourney. In their attitudes, Goku: playful, curious, friendly, competitive, energetic. Gohan: cautious, guarded, silent, fearful, serious, somber. People are being erased. Their loved ones at home could be erased. This is no time for fun, games, and gags (in universe).

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:21 am

- Episode 97: The beginning of the tournament. This episode was actually the only one where there was truly a feeling of chaos. It was nothing outstanding though, and the re-used animation was a little annoying. 6/10

- Episode 98: The one about Universe 9. The action in this one was very nice, the bank animation was used in a smarter way. Overall, the battle was interesting with some decent choreography. 7/10

- Episode 99: The one about Krillin. This one was also quite nice, and it felt like a OG Dragon Ball episode, but from this episode onwards the tournament started to feel less like a battle royale. The animation was great and I liked Krillin and C-18 moments, we rarely got any before this episode. Krillin's elimination could have been handled better, I would have preferred it if it was more dramatic. 7/10

- Episode 100: The one about U6 Saiyan girls. In this episode the feeling of a battle royale was a little stronger, the 2nd half was very chaotic. I liked the action and the interactions were quite good. Unfortunately Blue Goku's Kamehameha vs Kale, which was a clear reference to Movie 8, almost ruined this episode for me; it made no sense, and they shouldn't have had Goku go Blue for it. 7/10

- Episode 101: The one about the Pride Troopers. This is one of the best episodes of the tournament for me. It had so many things going on but it felt perfectly paced nonetheless. I liked Kale and Caulifla's interactions, as well as C-18 and C-17. The final moment when Goku lets the Saiyan girls go away was awesome. 7.5/10

- Episode 102: The one about U2 girls. I can't say I appreciated this one much. The 1st half was very annoying with the re-used animation scene, but at least it was done as a gag. While Helles' re-used scenes got truly annoying. C-17 saved this episode with his outstanding perfomance in the 2nd half. 6.5/10

- Episode 103: The one about Universe 10. Awesome action in this one, especially in the 2nd half. Obuni was a very interesting and well-done character, I'm glad he was there and his fight with Gohan was entertaining and well animated. I really can't complain about this episode. 7.5/10

- Episode 104: The one about Hit. SSG's return didn't exactly feel needed, and we also didn't get any explanation as to how Goku was able to transform into it or why he never used it ever since he fought Beerus. That's unfortunate as they could have fixed some powerscaling issues with a simple explanation. Apart from this little nit-pick, this is the second best episode of the tournament for me. Hit's fight with Dyspo was phenomenal, and solidified Hit as being one of the best new characters we got. His interactions with Goku are always great. 8.5/10

- Episode 105: The one about Master Roshi. Very emotional episode, they really did justice to Master Roshi and now it's clear as to why he was chosen for the tournament. His speech was damn awesome, and Beerus respecting him was a great moment too. 7/10

- Episode 106: The one about the snipers. This was a boring episode, and seeing Piccolo constantly shielding Gohan wasn't the most entertaining thing. I liked how it showed Piccolo as a true battle tactician though, and Tenshinan's elimination was handled well. Dr Rota's gag was also somewhat funny. Overall, this episode was average. 6/10

- Episode 107: The one about Frost. This episode was phenomenal. The best of the tournament so far; the storyboard and the script were incredibly good. Art and animation were solid, and there were some incredible shots. Frost was truly entertaining and smart, the moment he redirected the Mafuuba to Vegeta was intense and the dialogues were entertaining. 9/10

Overall, I would rank the tournament as 7/10 right now.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:19 am

Last time we had this thread, I gave lengthy reviews for each and I can't be bothered to do that again. In retrospect, I was a bit hard on 104; the Super Saiyan God thing annoyed me to the point where I focused on it over everything good about the episode, which is something I've criticised others for doing.

Now I'd rank it higher, and give its coveted "worst episode" spot to 101. I think I gave that one a pass because I like the Saiyan girls a lot and I was glad to see them do something different with Kale. But in hindsight, 101 is where I really started noticing the issues that have been plaguing the arc (and only just now starting to correct) which is giving U6 and 7 a free ride for the sake of fan-service. Losing five Pride Troopers (the supposed main antagonists of this tournament) in the space of an episode with virtually no consequence to the hero side is not good storytelling. All it does is undermine tension and put more weight on Jiren's shoulders to carry his team, which he can in power but not so far in personality.

It needed something to counterbalance the victory. 18 had a good run and hasn't done anything since that episode, have one of the Pride Troopers take her down with them. Have Caulifla actually sacrifice herself to trigger Kale's transformation. Something.

As for the last episode: it was really good. It turns out unusual matchups (did ANYONE predict Roshi and Vegeta teaming up? Did anyone predict Roshi vs Frost?) combined with good direction and characterisation can work wonders. This tournament has wavered on meeting it's potential, but if there's anywhere it has unequivocally succeeded and even blown expectations away, it's been with Roshi. He seems to elevate other characters around him. Much has been said about the issues with Goku and Vegeta's characterisation, but pair them with Roshi in 105 and 107 and somehow those issues disappear. Goku actually takes something seriously. Vegeta isn't a complete wanker. Add all that with some entertaining action with Vegeta v Frost and Magetta, Jiren's Delaware Smash, the back and forth over the Mafuba and moments of actual tension, and 107 is pretty high in the running. 9/10.

The episodes of the Tournament have been pretty good lately; I'll even defend 106 to a point. I'm a little more cynical of it now since the shine has come off and I've started noticing some of the major underlying issues with the arc as a whole, but I'm still enjoying myself. There is time to course-correct a few big problems and they can finish with something pretty spectacular if they play their cards right. For now, it's sitting at a 7/10 overall for me.