The respect of Beerus.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

The respect of Beerus.

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:42 pm

I feel it's worth talking about how much the earthlings seem to have grown on Beerus. Despite his regular apathy towards anyone other than himself, he's displayed respect recently for Tenshinhan and, in particular, Roshi, even going so far as to caring about Roshi's wellbeing even after he stopped being of use to him. Do you think this respect will continue to grow, or is it something that we will probably not see more of after the Tournament of Power?

Beerus will never be one the show's "heroes", but I'm finding his praise to be a refreshing change of pace for the character.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Ziegander
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The respect of Beerus.

Post by Ziegander » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:53 pm

I honestly don't know why people are so impressed with it. It feels forced and inconsistent. Beerus shit on Krillin who performed much better than Tien, but now we're all supposed to be enamored with Beerus because he called Tien impressive? Impressive for what? Running in a straight line directly at a shooter? Eliminating a joke that any other fighter remaining in the tournament, Roshi included, should have logically had no issue taking down once the reflector was discovered, and more than half the remaining fighters shouldn't have needed to worry even with the reflecting character? The drama and danger of that episode were forced, Tien's loss and his terrible tactics and fighting skill was all outrageously forced, and subsequently Beerus' praise of Tien's shit show rang hollow to me, because it was so forced.

Beerus respecting and praising Roshi on the other hand was earned, and that I appreciate. Krillin didn't earn his condemnation from Beerus or 18. That was forced. Tien certainly did nothing to warrant praised. That was forced. So characterizing Beerus as growing to respect the Earthlings? I just don't know. On one hand it feels out of character, on another it feels forced, and on yet another it feels undeserved. I do expect we won't see any particular respect or praise for the Earthlings from Beerus moving forward beyond the Tournament of Power, though.
My Full Rewrite of the Moro Arc

I've begun a full-scale re-write of the Tournament of Power! Here's Ch. 1, here's Ch.
, and here's Ch.
3!

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:04 pm

I hope it's something that continues to grow, or at least something he remembers. That he still kind of likes them now. It's an improvement over him yelling at everyone for being annoying all the time. He feel more like a character this way. It's a little bit of growth that I can appreciate for him much like how Vegeta eventually warmed up to the others.

I'm not sure if we will see more of it, I'm actually a little concerned Beerus will just forget about it later because they feel they have to write him as an angry yelling cat person for comedic effect.I doubt characters like Beerus and Roshi would interact much anyway, but if they do I hope to see that Beerus will still see him as someone worth respecting.
Ziegander wrote: So characterizing Beerus as growing to respect the Earthlings? I just don't know. On one hand it feels out of character, on another it feels forced, and on yet another it feels undeserved.
These all feel like they're on the same hand instead of having 3. Congrats on the extra limb though.
Last edited by Boo Machine on Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Ziegander wrote:I honestly don't know why people are so impressed with it. It feels forced and inconsistent. Beerus shit on Krillin who performed much better than Tien, but now we're all supposed to be enamored with Beerus because he called Tien impressive? Impressive for what? Running in a straight line directly at a shooter? Eliminating a joke that any other fighter remaining in the tournament, Roshi included, should have logically had no issue taking down once the reflector was discovered, and more than half the remaining fighters shouldn't have needed to worry even with the reflecting character? The drama and danger of that episode were forced, Tien's loss and his terrible tactics and fighting skill was all outrageously forced, and subsequently Beerus' praise of Tien's shit show rang hollow to me, because it was so forced.

Beerus respecting and praising Roshi on the other hand was earned, and that I appreciate. Krillin didn't earn his condemnation from Beerus or 18. That was forced. Tien certainly did nothing to warrant praised. That was forced. So characterizing Beerus as growing to respect the Earthlings? I just don't know. On one hand it feels out of character, on another it feels forced, and on yet another it feels undeserved. I do expect we won't see any particular respect or praise for the Earthlings from Beerus moving forward beyond the Tournament of Power, though.
He took a crap on Krillin because he was gloating and goofing off. That's a stupid and childish way to go out. Even supreme kai was low key pissed. In a tournament that decides all their fates, they have every right to be pissed at Krillin. Tien got taken out due to surprise. Easy mistake that caught everyone off guard. You can't compare the two. Honestly if these two were going to be so useless in this tournament, they would've been better off just having Trunks and Goten fight since they're compatible.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm

TheOne wrote:
Ziegander wrote:I honestly don't know why people are so impressed with it. It feels forced and inconsistent. Beerus shit on Krillin who performed much better than Tien, but now we're all supposed to be enamored with Beerus because he called Tien impressive? Impressive for what? Running in a straight line directly at a shooter? Eliminating a joke that any other fighter remaining in the tournament, Roshi included, should have logically had no issue taking down once the reflector was discovered, and more than half the remaining fighters shouldn't have needed to worry even with the reflecting character? The drama and danger of that episode were forced, Tien's loss and his terrible tactics and fighting skill was all outrageously forced, and subsequently Beerus' praise of Tien's shit show rang hollow to me, because it was so forced.

He took a crap on Krillin because he was gloating and goofing off. That's a stupid and childish way to go out. Even supreme kai was low key pissed. In a tournament that decides all their fates, they have every right to be pissed at Krillin. Tien got taken out due to surprise. Easy mistake that caught everyone off guard. You can't compare the two. Honestly if these two were going to be so useless in this tournament, they would've been better off just having Trunks and Goten fight since they're compatible.
Goten and Trunks would have been the first 2 out and you know it.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:57 pm

I don't know what you mean about after the ToP. You mean will Beerus stop lording over them? I don't think that will happen.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 pm

The earthlings have always represented a less outright aggressive and more subtly technical side to fights in the series. All of the earthlings have had to rely on some unique talent or their intellectual cleverness to achieve anything in this tournament. It's possible Beerus could be giving some citation to this aptitude of theirs; even the opposing universes saw value in the earthlings' abilities and chose to use them in an attempt to eliminate one of the most powerful competitors in the tournament. If authorial negligence wasn't afflicting these characters, they likely could have defeated the strongest in the tournament sometime back.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm a fan of Krillin but I can say that the reason Tien received praise is he went down fighting. Krillin got cocky and cost his team early. Yes I think Krillin was "better" but I can see why he's get talked down to.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Totamo wrote:Goten and Trunks would have been the first 2 out and you know it.
It's certainly possible, although I tend to doubt it. They're Super Saiyans and would probably hang in there at least a little bit, and they would still be packing Gotenks in a pinch. Yeah, they would probably fall victim to their own conceit. But now Krillin is guilty of the same thing. The only difference is he has far less power to play with.

Bringing him was about as equally pointless as bringing Goten and Trunks would have potentially been.

My opinion, anyway.
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:33 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
I doubt it. They're Super Saiyans and would probably hang in there at least a little bit, and they would still be packing Gotenks in a pinch. Yeah, they would probably fall victim to their own conceit. But now Krillin is guilty of the same thing. The only difference is he has far less power to play with.

Bringing him was about as equally pointless as bringing Goten and Trunks would have potentially been.

My opinion, anyway.
Goten and Trunks would almost certainly be the first ones out, not because they're overly incompetent but because the writers clearly show no interest in doing anything with them or Gotenks. And when the lack of interest is there, you get performances like Tenshinhan's. When the interest is there, you get Android 17 and Roshi.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
I doubt it. They're Super Saiyans and would probably hang in there at least a little bit, and they would still be packing Gotenks in a pinch. Yeah, they would probably fall victim to their own conceit. But now Krillin is guilty of the same thing. The only difference is he has far less power to play with.

My opinion, anyway.
Goten and Trunks would almost certainly be the first ones out, not because they're overly incompetent but because the writers clearly show no interest in doing anything with them or Gotenks. And when the lack of interest is there, you get performances like Tenshinhan's. When the interest is there, you get Android 17 and Roshi.
Tenshinhan was pretty bad. But the outline comes from Toriyama. I sti think that if he'd given them a role, the writing team would manage something. They keep injecting Goten and Trunks in filler-type material like the (admittedly bad) Copy-Vegeta bit and whatnot. Some kind of interest is there, but it's crippled and limited by what Toriyama decides to do, which in the kids' case always seems to be nothing.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:41 pm

I find it fantastic that Beerus is being so outward with emotions, in regards to his respect and admiration for the competitors of Universe 7 when the times call for it. It's such a great direction they're taking with the character. Especially since we see in the Future Trunks arc how much he goes out of way to help the cast in figuring out who Goku Black and killing Zamasu to stop the potential threat. Even during the Champa arc we see small bits of how Beerus truly admires those who live in his universe if they over-perform when the occasion demands it ("That's my Goku!).

But it also doesn't mean he's gone soft on people as seen with how much he admonishes Krillin for getting cocky after eliminating someone, dropping his guard and getting easily eliminated himself. Beerus' reaction and response to how he the main cast acts, not just since this Tournament Of Power has began, but I'd say since the Champa arc, feels natural and consistent, which in my opinion, is the best thing about how much his characterization has evolved. He feels less like a character on the outside looking and more of an ingrained member of the main cast.

Beerus has been developed fantastically.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:54 pm

That's more because the Sniper episode was just terrible in general though. They could have made much better use of Tien and especially the sniper himself. They only did it to not piss off Tien fans because Beerus' praise was very forced.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:
It's certainly possible, although I tend to doubt it. They're Super Saiyans and would probably hang in there at least a little bit, and they would still be packing Gotenks in a pinch. Yeah, they would probably fall victim to their own conceit. But now Krillin is guilty of the same thing. The only difference is he has far less power to play with.

My opinion, anyway.
Yes we now know Goten and Trunks would probably do just fine and peoples' reasons for not wanting to include them in the tournament are just speculation, especially seeing how weak a majority of the fighters are Gotenks SS or SS3 could KO many of them easily. They would at least do just as well, if not better than Krillin,Tien, and Piccolo have been doing. I'm sure Piccolo will get a small moment soon, but I doubt it's going to be significant. The raw power of Gotenks should be far above any of those 3. It's not like they had zero strategy when they were fused, they came up with a few moves on their own, even one (Ghost kamikaze) that somewhat involves deception.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:18 pm

Zagacious wrote:

That's more because the Sniper episode was just terrible in general though. They could have made much better use of Tien and especially the sniper himself. They only did it to not piss off Tien fans because Beerus' praise was very forced.
Li'l Lemmy wrote:

My opinion, anyway.
Yes we now know Goten and Trunks would probably do just fine and peoples' reasons for not wanting to include them in the tournament are just speculation, especially seeing how weak a majority of the fighters are Gotenks SS or SS3 could KO many of them easily. They would at least do just as well, if not better than Krillin,Tien, and Piccolo have been doing. I'm sure Piccolo will get a small moment soon, but I doubt it's going to be significant. The raw power of Gotenks should be far above any of those 3. It's not like they had zero strategy when they were fused, they came up with a few moves on their own, even one (Ghost kamikaze) that somewhat involves deception.
No, you don't get it. The writers have no interest in those 2.

Tenshinhan barely did anything specifically because of that yet Kuririn and Roshi did.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Zagacious wrote: Yes we now know Goten and Trunks would probably do just fine and peoples' reasons for not wanting to include them in the tournament are just speculation, especially seeing how weak a majority of the fighters are Gotenks SS or SS3 could KO many of them easily. They would at least do just as well, if not better than Krillin,Tien, and Piccolo have been doing. I'm sure Piccolo will get a small moment soon, but I doubt it's going to be significant. The raw power of Gotenks should be far above any of those 3. It's not like they had zero strategy when they were fused, they came up with a few moves on their own, even one (Ghost kamikaze) that somewhat involves deception.
In universe me and you both know they would go straight for Jirren or somebody else strong and got themselves eliminated right away.
Even if they got lucky and did not run to anyone strong,they would for sure let their guard down if Krillin and Tien did.
Out of universe we know the writers don't care much about them outside for using them for a few gags,so they would perform slighty better than Tien at best.
And Piccolo is stronger than ssj3 Gotenks.

BWri

Post by BWri » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 am

Agreed and Tien's my 2nd favorite character. If anything, Tien should've gotten crapped on by Roshi and Beerus for using such a dumb strategy. One of them should've mentioned that he keep one clone on the arena. Other than that, I did love Beerus' respect for Roshi. That was earned.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:10 am

This.
Roshi earned every bit of respect, but Tien was complete gargabe. Sounded like a way to convince the viewer he did good.

Zagacious
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zagacious » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:10 am

Whatever wrote:
Zagacious wrote: Yes we now know Goten and Trunks would probably do just fine and peoples' reasons for not wanting to include them in the tournament are just speculation, especially seeing how weak a majority of the fighters are Gotenks SS or SS3 could KO many of them easily. They would at least do just as well, if not better than Krillin,Tien, and Piccolo have been doing. I'm sure Piccolo will get a small moment soon, but I doubt it's going to be significant. The raw power of Gotenks should be far above any of those 3. It's not like they had zero strategy when they were fused, they came up with a few moves on their own, even one (Ghost kamikaze) that somewhat involves deception.
In universe me and you both know they would go straight for Jirren or somebody else strong and got themselves eliminated right away.
Even if they got lucky and did not run to anyone strong,they would for sure let their guard down if Krillin and Tien did.
Out of universe we know the writers don't care much about them outside for using them for a few gags,so they would perform slighty better than Tien at best.
And Piccolo is stronger than ssj3 Gotenks.
Despite SS3 Gotenks being way above Piccolo in the Buu saga? I'm curious where you came up with this? He hasn't really been training and he hasn't been shown any feats that would indicate he's gotten a lot stronger. Besides them being wasted or not is entirely up to the writers, just like they chose to have characters like Trio De Dangers who should have lasted longer, get eliminated immediately by pinning them against Goku and Vegeta.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 am

Zagacious wrote: Despite SS3 Gotenks being way above Piccolo in the Buu saga? I'm curious where you came up with this? He hasn't really been training and he hasn't been shown any feats that would indicate he's gotten a lot stronger. Besides them being wasted or not is entirely up to the writers, just like they chose to have characters like Trio De Dangers who should have lasted longer, get eliminated immediately by pinning them against Goku and Vegeta.
What does the Buu saga have to do with that?Base Copy Vegeta destroyed ssj3 Gotenks and Vegeta needed super saiyan to defeat frost a character that Piccolo could block hits from and thats from back in the U6,now all 3 of those characters have gotten stronger.

Saturnine

Post by Saturnine » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:50 am

Whatever wrote:
Zagacious wrote: Despite SS3 Gotenks being way above Piccolo in the Buu saga? I'm curious where you came up with this? He hasn't really been training and he hasn't been shown any feats that would indicate he's gotten a lot stronger. Besides them being wasted or not is entirely up to the writers, just like they chose to have characters like Trio De Dangers who should have lasted longer, get eliminated immediately by pinning them against Goku and Vegeta.
What does the Buu saga have to do with that?Base Copy Vegeta destroyed ssj3 Gotenks and Vegeta needed super saiyan to defeat frost a character that Piccolo could block hits from and thats from back in the U6,now all 3 of those characters have gotten stronger.
That "base Copy Vegeta" you're referring to if he tried to go Super Saiyan, his hair would be blue. So it's not fair to compare regular SSj Vegeta to that. I thought this was pretty clear by now.