Would it be for the best if we all take a hiatus from Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Would it be for the best if we all take a hiatus from Super?

Post by precita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:43 pm

And by hiatus, I mean all stop watching for some time and come back when an arc ends, so we can all marathon it together. Super, or Dragonball itself, is not really a show where you can just watch 1 new episode a week. The show is meant to be watched in groups of episodes regularly because each arc is spread out over dozens of epsiodes, sometimes even hundreds of episodes.

I guarantee most of the complaints of the tournament of power would be lessened if we were watching multiple eps a day, or new episodes every day in a week like we watched Dragonball/Z growing up.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Re: Would it be for the best if we all take a hiatus from Super?

Post by GodVegetto91 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 pm

That's literally impossible for many of us die-hard dragon ball fans. At least, I, certainly couldn't do it. No patience.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:05 pm

precita wrote:I guarantee most of the complaints of the tournament of power would be lessened if we were watching multiple eps a day, or new episodes every day in a week like we watched Dragonball/Z growing up.
And I can guarantee that most of my complaints would still be there. Binge watching won't stop a majority of these fighters from being complete fodder.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:22 pm

Yes and no. Re-watching Super without having to wait each week or two and reading the knee jerk reaction consensus after a livestream is more fulfilling. Doesn't eliminate the problems that are there but it be like that for Ball, Z and GT

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:34 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
precita wrote:I guarantee most of the complaints of the tournament of power would be lessened if we were watching multiple eps a day, or new episodes every day in a week like we watched Dragonball/Z growing up.
And I can guarantee that most of my complaints would still be there. Binge watching won't stop a majority of these fighters from being complete fodder.
Now I'm curious if this is your actual complaint or if your complaint is connected to how most characters are fodder. Cause if your complaint is that most are fodder then you were always going to be upset this saga since no way we're most characters going to be too tier. Just seems like an expectation you had that had no realistic chance of happening.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 pm

There's absolutely no way people are going to take a break right before the 1 hour special and climax of this arc.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm not a big fan of binge watching. It overwhelms me and makes me less likely to try a show out because then I need to play catch up and I end up speeding through it (see: watching JoJo's at double speed halfway into part three to catch up in time for part four's airing).

I prefer to watch stuff week to week. My problems with this arc wouldn't be solved by binging anyway. It won't change the execution of the tournament, or what staff is on what episode.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TBMx
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TBMx » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:16 pm

Geekdom101 tends to put spoilers in his titles and youtube tends to put him in the video feed of anyone with a history of watching dragonball videos, whether they're on hiatus or not. One has to be careful on youtube when on hiatus. As there's spoilers in the thumbnail images of other people's videos as well.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:26 pm

We're sort of getting it with the week gaps between episodes we've had lately. Trouble is, both times they've come after comparatively weak episodes (106 and 108 were not great) so all the week breaks have done is given people more time to stew over their negative feelings about the show.

KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by KingKaash » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:35 pm

I do kind of feel like the ToP is one large DB movie that's chopped up into a bunch of little episodes.

I've watched almost every ToP episode twice already but I still might go back and binge watch the entire ToP
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:34 pm

This would literally be impossible for me, I can't even keep myself from spoilers of episodes that aren't due for weeks. That's how up to date I have to be or it drives me crazy and my curiosity reaches its maximum as Broly says in the Funi dub. I don't understand why people wouldn't want to watch Super as it happens, if you let it get 20 or 30 episodes ahead, no ones going to want to talk about it with you and you're going to feel left out because what's new stuff to you will be old to others. I feel like that when I'm trying to catch up on manga and here everyone buzz about chapter 100 and then by the time I get to 100 I'm like so this was what everyone was blowing up about? And then I have no one to talk to it about to because they're already on chapter 150.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Normally I'd love to binge watch, but I know my YouTube feed would have all kinds of spoilers.

I don't follow anybody. I've just watched a lot of random anime things, so it's bound to pop up there.
How i predict the tournament will end:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:49 pm

Marathoning isn't going to fix the terrible pacing, terrible animation and terrible music. It isn't going to stop this thirty-five-plus episode arc from moving at a third of the pace it should be moving at.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:50 pm

I'd love to do that as I think the issues I have wouldn't stand out as much if I got the whole story to watch right away but I'm too big of a fan to wait that long. Most of us can't even wait for an episode to air and go looking for spoilers.
JulieYBM wrote:Marathoning isn't going to fix the terrible pacing, terrible animation and terrible music. It isn't going to stop this thirty-five-plus episode arc from moving at a third of the pace it should be moving at.
If you started with a bad episode and ended with a really good one then chances are you'll have a better opinion about it unlike watching one bad episode and waiting a week for the next one to air which gives you time to build up negative feelings towards the show.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:46 am

precita wrote:And by hiatus, I mean all stop watching for some time and come back when an arc ends, so we can all marathon it together. Super, or Dragonball itself, is not really a show where you can just watch 1 new episode a week. The show is meant to be watched in groups of episodes regularly because each arc is spread out over dozens of epsiodes, sometimes even hundreds of episodes.

I guarantee most of the complaints of the tournament of power would be lessened if we were watching multiple eps a day, or new episodes every day in a week like we watched Dragonball/Z growing up.
I watched 8-9 episodes in a row and boy did I still have complaints about the first few episodes, but it got better.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:28 am

No. That's a terrible idea.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:56 am

No it aint even that serious. Its only a 20-25 minute investment a week.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Funnily I only started MHA S2 yesterday because I was waiting for S2 to pile up, DBS has taught weekly waiting shows like that is painful.

I would say this though DB isn't meant to be over-anaylsed weekly like it has been for DBS, you end up getting shit like "DBS ENDING CONFIRMS VEGETA IS THE 3RD TO GET KNOCKED OUT". People read too much into any piece of information, I think people need to stop looking for things that don't exist and stop trying to pry out every ounce of details instead of stop watching the show. That would be sooo beneficial, how many times have people blown up over vague summaries only for the episode to air and for them to look like utter fools?

I'm just glad I didn't watch the Freeza arc weekly back in Z days... Oh boy that must have been painful!

Cursemark505
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cursemark505 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:46 pm

Yedis wrote:No it aint even that serious. Its only a 20-25 minute investment a week.
It's really not though since you all spend the entire week discussing it every single week. You're investing far more time into this show than you would like to admit.

This majority of the excuses in this thread are bogus. Y'all read spoilers a month before an episode even airs but yall are worried about other people discussing them on social media? Yeah right.

I believe the real reason the majority of you refuse to go on hiatus or quit like you've been threatening to do for the past 2 years is because you actually enjoy the show. If the show was really as painful to watch as you all claim, then you wouldn't break your necks to watch and discuss every week. A hiatus would be no problem for you otherwise.
Last edited by Cursemark505 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:58 pm

If I took a hiatus I'd have to avoid a lot of sites that I frequent because people casually discuss spoilers after a certain point. Even if people try to go in blind.