What's the point of all this hype and build up IF...

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

What's the point of all this hype and build up IF...

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:42 pm

Goku loses and gets eliminated by Jiren... Especially during the special..

IT MAKES NO SENSE! if they were to do such a thing. And it would surely throw a LOT of fans off. You don't hype this fight up to such an insane degree as they did, by hyping it up and building it up for MONTHS, even giving Goku a brand new Super Saiyan Form that will likely spark a brand new era for it all to be thrown away in a single (or perhaps a few) episodes.

I know Toei and Toriyama are all about betraying the fans' expectations.. But THIS?! Absolutely not! I just can't see them going THIS far!

It would be the ultimate trolling action, one that's simply untolerable from a fanservice stand point.

Just the idea that so many people already have the mere thought of Goku losing in this one-hour special, is what shocks and surprises me.

So what are your thoughts about it?

This is all based on the leaks that came out, specifically, the episode titles, AFTER the one-hour special, just because Goku wasn't mentioned in there anywhere. Do people have that small of a faith in Goku and the writers?

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What's the point of all this hype and build up IF...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:52 pm

Well the hype isn't for the result of the fight and whether our heros will be okay or not. (Spoilers, they'll be fine.)

The Hype is for the fight itself. IF Goku loses then it could just mean bigger things are in store rather than everything just hinging on Goku vs Jiren. It's a twist! It means the solution is something else.

Super Saiyan 3 made it's debut in the Buu saga, yet it never won a fight, and it sure as hell wasn't what beat the villain.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:57 pm

We'll find out, but I still partly buy we're only getting that double episode because of One Piece, and that this isn't the arc's climax, it just fell this way.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:59 pm

I don't think Goku will be eliminated at all but that is the only thing that could possibly surprise me. Though honestly I am not really sure what I want the results for this tournament to be. I think Tournaments are fun for individual fights more than the final result personally.

I assume Goku will lose though because the next episode is Hit Vs Jiren. But Goku could easily lose and not be knocked out of the ring.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:15 pm

We don't honestly know what will happen. All the details that have been spoiled so far seem to be about episode 109. 110 has been kept under wraps. Who knows what the "something terrible" will be

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:31 pm

I'm not going to begrudge the animation studio for shifting things into an unexpected direction. Goku has been the predictable paragon of strength and efficiency for every arc since the beginning of DB. To see that normality being challenged with Goku's new form failing to achieve the desired result would be refreshing for a change. True, we've seen something like this already occur in the Buu arc, but that arc is muddied with so many dead end concepts that it's becoming a negative thematical shortcoming of the arc which Super Saiyan 3 happens to fit into quite well.

I don't think the Tournament of Power has quite reached that level, at least when it comes to main character.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Goku getting eliminated would fit well within the history of Akira Toriyama's storytelling. I'm hoping it happens. I found reading the original post of this thread very unpleasant and extremely entitled / unimpressive.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:43 pm

Duo wrote:Goku getting eliminated would fit well within the history of Akira Toriyama's storytelling. I'm hoping it happens. I found reading the original post of this thread very unpleasant and extremely entitled / unimpressive.
I don't care what you think dude. There's a reason why you are the only one on my ignore list. As for Goku getting eliminated, i disagree with you.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:53 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Duo wrote:Goku getting eliminated would fit well within the history of Akira Toriyama's storytelling. I'm hoping it happens. I found reading the original post of this thread very unpleasant and extremely entitled / unimpressive.
I don't care what you think dude. There's a reason why you are the only one on my ignore list. As for Goku getting eliminated, i disagree with you.
You wouldn't have seen my previous post if I were actually on your ignore list.

Why do you disagree? Goku being the first major player to drop would offset the entire situation drastically. It would display the misguided nature of Goku's general mentality in an effective way and provide a platform for the remaining characters to shine. Maybe the others will have to actually work together to defeat Jiren in the wake of such a happenstance.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:56 pm

Duo wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
You wouldn't have seen my previous post if I were actually on your ignore list.

Why do you disagree? Goku being the first major player to drop would offset the entire situation drastically. It would display the misguided nature of Goku's general mentality in an effective way and provide a platform for the remaining characters to shine. Maybe the others will have to actually work together to defeat Jiren in the wake of such a happenstance.
Actually i can, i would just have to click on the "show" button.
Goku losing now simply makes no sense at all considering all the buildup and the fact that he's getting a new transformation. It would be bad writing.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:00 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: Actually i can, i would just have to click on the "show" button.
Goku losing now simply makes no sense at all considering all the buildup and the fact that he's getting a new transformation. It would be bad writing.
You must have hated Battle of Gods.

BananaxStealth

Post by BananaxStealth » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:05 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Goku loses and gets eliminated by Jiren... Especially during the special..

IT MAKES NO SENSE! if they were to do such a thing. And it would surely throw a LOT of fans off. You don't hype this fight up to such an insane degree as they did, by hyping it up and building it up for MONTHS, even giving Goku a brand new Super Saiyan Form that will likely spark a brand new era for it all to be thrown away in a single (or perhaps a few) episodes.

I know Toei and Toriyama are all about betraying the fans' expectations.. But THIS?! Absolutely not! I just can't see them going THIS far!

It would be the ultimate trolling action, one that's simply untolerable from a fanservice stand point.

Just the idea that so many people already have the mere thought of Goku losing in this one-hour special, is what shocks and surprises me.

So what are your thoughts about it?

This is all based on the leaks that came out, specifically, the episode titles, AFTER the one-hour special, just because Goku wasn't mentioned in there anywhere. Do people have that small of a faith in Goku and the writers?
I don't Akira go that route and have Goku lose early on. However, I think Goku could come close to losing like he has done before and then find something that will put him over the edge; hence his new transformation.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:59 am

Goku losing and getting eliminated in the special would be far more interesting and exciting for us to see how the rest of the ToP will turn out. So your complaint makes little sense to me. Besides until it happens, I don't believe Goku is actually going to get eliminated during the special.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:18 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Goku losing and getting eliminated in the special would be far more interesting and exciting for us to see how the rest of the ToP will turn out. So your complaint makes little sense to me. Besides until it happens, I don't believe Goku is actually going to get eliminated during the special.
No disrespect but speak for yourself please. I don't really want to see Goku eliminated in 110.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:30 am

I think Goku getting eliminated could make things very interesting from a story perspective. It's not like he'd lose any points as DB's Nr.1 fighter or get demoted from his MC status, it would just spice things up for half of an arc. They might be pulling all stops with the special in order to make up for his "absence" later on. Think Cell Games: even though the final stretch had Gohan as the main player, many consider Cell vs. Goku as the better fight.

But this is all hypothetical. Frankly, I don't really believe Goku's getting eliminated, just temporarily put on-hold for some reason or another, which will allow Vegeta and Hit to step in.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:19 am

Well they did previously hype up a fight with a powerful new enemy for months, including giving Goku a new Super Saiyan form, only to have him lose. The result was the movie that revived the franchise.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

PMD
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PMD » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:29 am

Why wasting time in a topic complaining about something we actually don't know for certain? You did the same thing with the Jiren topic. I don't see the point of it.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:21 am

Duo wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote: Actually i can, i would just have to click on the "show" button.
You must have hated Battle of Gods.
On the contrary, i LOVED that movie. But this is different. Goku lost after a battle well thought against the God of Destruction himself. Here, it's a tournament where everything is on the line and he absolutely cannot afford to lose. Especially not in the same episode he achieves his new form. (I.e. So soon). This battle specifically is being hyped up for months.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:27 am

As Duo pointed out, Goku losing against the central antagonist is something Toriyama has a penchant for doing and I wouldn't be suprised if that happened in the Universal Survival arc. Goku getting new form doesn't mean shit. Goku got a cool looking exclusive transformation in the Majin Boo arc, in the form of SSJ3, but it was worthless in the grand scheme of the narrative as he couldn't defeat Majin Boo with it. Same thing happened in Battle Of Gods. Goku became a Super Saiyan God and he still lost to Beerus. And Beerus wasn't even using all of his strength in the battle.

EDIT: Toei also like giving the Saiyan cast (Goku, Vegeta Future Trunks) flashy new forms that don't amount to much. SSJ4 has a shit track record in battle as it only killed Baby and Ice Shenron but couldn't get the job done against Super 17 or Omega Shenron, Goku's false/pseudo SSJ form in the DBZ Movie 4 couldn't defeat Lord Slug and Future Trunks mysterious rage based Super Sayain form amounted to nothing as Zamasu still killed nearly everyone.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:42 am

Jiren will probably take out the fighters most consider the most important to create some big tension.