Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 am

Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Anybody worried about DBS TV ratings, fear not. Dragon Ball is beating One Piece in merchandize sales and will be the top earner for Bandai Namco next year, surpassing even Gundam (which is the biggest revenue earner for Bandai Namco in last 10 years). The anime isn't ending anytime soon (or even close).

33 years and strong
Image

Source: http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/libr ... Result.pdf
Last edited by Faisal Shourov on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Cool! More popularity = more money = higher quality = more popularity ,etc
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:23 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:Cool! More popularity = more money = higher quality = more popularity ,etc
Expect a ton of Dragon Ball material in future. Also hopefully more fights on Goku vs Jiren level
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Chuquita » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:27 pm

Makes me more excited for Jump Festa and what could be announced there.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Chuquita wrote:Makes me more excited for Jump Festa and what could be announced there.
A new movie perhaps? Dragon Ball is making truckloads of money right now, Dokkan Battle's revenue alone is enough to generate budget for a movie.

Image

Source: http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/en/ir/libr ... grated.pdf
Last edited by Faisal Shourov on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Kinokima » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Very awesome to hear. Thanks for starting a positive thread. :)

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 462
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:10 am

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Faisal Shourov » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:41 pm

Kinokima wrote:Very awesome to hear. Thanks for starting a positive thread. :)
You're most welcome. Ignore any comment saying Dragon Ball Super getting cancelled. You would need some natural calamity like tsunami/earthquake or god forbid Akira Toriyama's death for it to happen. Bandai and Toei would not kill their biggest money machine anytime soon
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Chuquita wrote:Makes me more excited for Jump Festa and what could be announced there.
I agree. I already have it marked on my calendar. December 15 to december 17. Whether they announce a movie, the next arc, or something else, I'm ready.

The best part if we get future Dragon Ball content announced and the biggest most hype trailers and reveals for Dragon Ball video games happen at Jump Festa.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7730
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:28 am

Dragon Ball putting the pretenders to its throne in their place 8)
Too bad we won't see the franchise surpass One Piece in manga sales, but smashing it in every other area is fantastic.

User avatar
namekiansaiyan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 4352
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:17 am

Dragon Ball Super will only get cancelled if Toriyama stops writing stories. It is as simple as that.

This franchise is way too important for Bandai Namco so thry will do everything they can too make sure Toriyama continues the series

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:37 am

Chuquita wrote:Makes me more excited for Jump Festa and what could be announced there.
When is that?

Michsi
I Live Here
Posts: 4340
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Michsi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:42 am

Fantastic news! DBS might not be everyone's cup of tea or the sequel most wanted, but it's still Dragon Ball and it's doing it's job of promoting the franchise.

I've said this before, but I sensed an uptick in quality lately- for both the animation and story- so here's to hoping it keeps getting better. The original DB also needed a couple of years to pick up steam, maybe we'll see this with DBS as well. :)

User avatar
dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7730
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:32 am

Bullza wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Makes me more excited for Jump Festa and what could be announced there.
When is that?
Usually around mid December, this year it's 16th and 17th as seen on their site:http://www.jumpfesta.com/

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:19 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Makes me more excited for Jump Festa and what could be announced there.
When is that?
Usually around mid December, this year it's 16th and 17th as seen on their site:http://www.jumpfesta.com/
Soon Goku will replace Luffy on that home page...
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Bullza » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:25 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Bullza wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Makes me more excited for Jump Festa and what could be announced there.
When is that?
Usually around mid December, this year it's 16th and 17th as seen on their site:http://www.jumpfesta.com/
Oh so if it is a movie then there's no way it would come out March or April like the last two.

One Piece Film Gold was released in July but that movie got announced in August the year prior. Could be too late to announce a movie for July but too late to announce a movie for December as well which is when One Piece Film Z came out.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:32 am

Faisal Shourov wrote:Ignore any comment saying Dragon Ball Super getting cancelled. You would need some natural calamity like tsunami/earthquake or god forbid Akira Toriyama's death for it to happen.
Thanks a lot for these. The longer the anime goes on the longer the manga will which is good news for me.

At this point there's no way Toriyama's death or him stepping down will end the franchise, it's simply too big with too many companies involved.
AnimeNation101 wrote:Whether they announce a movie, the next arc, or something else, I'm ready.
They'll probably announce the new arc and a movie for the fall.
dbgtFO wrote:Dragon Ball putting the pretenders to its throne in their place 8)

Too bad we won't see the franchise surpass One Piece in manga sales.
DB has and always will be the king of Japanese entertainment.

Who knows what would've happened if Super got a manga drawn by Toriyama as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10201
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:39 am

The marketing department during that first year and a bit of DBS also looked pretty lost it felt like they didn't know what to do lol Either they were cautious cuz of Kai or Toei announcing the show out of the blue caught everyone off guard. Start of 2017 they ramped up big time and now the DBS brand it feels it is splattered everywhere now! This years been pretty strong, especially with fact most international's got the show, these numbers are pretty reflective of that.

Wonder where the people saying Super was bringing the Dragon Ball name down are now? 8)

User avatar
AnimeNation101
I Live Here
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:01 pm
Location: Planet ShoJump

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:23 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The marketing department during that first year and a bit of DBS also looked pretty lost it felt like they didn't know what to do lol Either they were cautious cuz of Kai or Toei announcing the show out of the blue caught everyone off guard. Start of 2017 they ramped up big time and now the DBS brand it feels it is splattered everywhere now! This years been pretty strong, especially with fact most international's got the show, these numbers are pretty reflective of that.

Wonder where the people saying Super was bringing the Dragon Ball name down are now? 8)
Doesn’t it suck for them? They would love to get a continuation to Dragon Ball but they refuse to watch DBS because of their pride. So now they are just suffering while they know that other people are off enjoying the new Dragon Ball Super series. And they know that any new Dragon Ball related thing will have Dragon Ball Super in it so they either suffer through or quit dragon ball
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:36 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The marketing department during that first year and a bit of DBS also looked pretty lost it felt like they didn't know what to do lol Either they were cautious cuz of Kai or Toei announcing the show out of the blue caught everyone off guard. Start of 2017 they ramped up big time and now the DBS brand it feels it is splattered everywhere now! This years been pretty strong, especially with fact most international's got the show, these numbers are pretty reflective of that.

Wonder where the people saying Super was bringing the Dragon Ball name down are now? 8)
Doesn’t it suck for them? They would love to get a continuation to Dragon Ball but they refuse to watch DBS because of their pride. So now they are just suffering while they know that other people are off enjoying the new Dragon Ball Super series. And they know that any new Dragon Ball related thing will have Dragon Ball Super in it so they either suffer through or quit dragon ball

If they don't enjoy Super than I hope they don't watch it. Good for them. It doesn't make them less of Dragon Ball fans if they don't watch something from the franchise they don't enjoy. I don't want people to hate watch the series.

User avatar
RedHeat
Regular
Posts: 650
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by RedHeat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:48 am

Kinokima wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The marketing department during that first year and a bit of DBS also looked pretty lost it felt like they didn't know what to do lol Either they were cautious cuz of Kai or Toei announcing the show out of the blue caught everyone off guard. Start of 2017 they ramped up big time and now the DBS brand it feels it is splattered everywhere now! This years been pretty strong, especially with fact most international's got the show, these numbers are pretty reflective of that.

Wonder where the people saying Super was bringing the Dragon Ball name down are now? 8)
Doesn’t it suck for them? They would love to get a continuation to Dragon Ball but they refuse to watch DBS because of their pride. So now they are just suffering while they know that other people are off enjoying the new Dragon Ball Super series. And they know that any new Dragon Ball related thing will have Dragon Ball Super in it so they either suffer through or quit dragon ball

If they don't enjoy Super than I hope they don't watch it. Good for them. It doesn't make them less of Dragon Ball fans if they don't watch something from the franchise they don't enjoy. I don't want people to hate watch the series.
Unfortunately, a lot people hate-watch the show.
Feels over Reals.

Post Reply