Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Sales- Bandai Namco 2017 revenue (and 2018 forecast)

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:51 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The marketing department during that first year and a bit of DBS also looked pretty lost it felt like they didn't know what to do.

Wonder where the people saying Super was bringing the Dragon Ball name down are now? 8)
It was probably due to it coming out of nowhere and them not knowing how people would react to a new DB show. I think once the Zamasu arc started they knew people were all in and that's when I think things really kicked in marketing wise.

The anime still has a long way to go before it catches up to the original 2 but the manga, movies & games are AMAZING and I can't wait to see what comes next. The anime does have its moments though.
RedHeat wrote:Unfortunately, a lot people hate-watch the show.
People who are still watching simply want it to get better. I complain about it all the time but am still always excited for next week's episode and the leaked previews.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:00 am

RedHeat wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: Doesn’t it suck for them? They would love to get a continuation to Dragon Ball but they refuse to watch DBS because of their pride. So now they are just suffering while they know that other people are off enjoying the new Dragon Ball Super series. And they know that any new Dragon Ball related thing will have Dragon Ball Super in it so they either suffer through or quit dragon ball

If they don't enjoy Super than I hope they don't watch it. Good for them. It doesn't make them less of Dragon Ball fans if they don't watch something from the franchise they don't enjoy. I don't want people to hate watch the series.
Unfortunately, a lot people hate-watch the show.
Let's be real if people are watching a show past 100 episodes then they obviously don't hate it like some let on. Don't forget it's not just watching the show people then come on a forum to discuss that's an awful lot of time to exhaust on something they "dislike". It's human nature to avoid things we dislike not to seek more of it! Regardless of what some people say deep down they obviously like the show enough.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:06 am

sintzu wrote:People who are still watching simply want it to get better. I complain about it all the time but am still always excited for next week's episode and the leaked previews.
This current arc was the arc I was waiting for and I am excited for the upcoming episodes and magazine spoilers but also not looking forward to then as all but one of the characters I care about is fighting and the rest are sitting on the bench. That is a problem that can happen to some fans in a tournament arc.

Many people watch this show to see their favourite characters and potential see new characters they will like which has happened to nearly everyone in this arc. No one knows when characters they like are going to appear and do something exciting so even people who really hate the show will keep watching it consistently.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:37 pm

For reference, at the end of FY2017 Bandai forecast 18.4 billion yen for the first half of FY2018 and 43.5 for the full year for DB.

But now it made 19.7 in the first quarter so they upped the forecast to 40.5 for the first half and 75.7 full year.

DB is exceeding expectations.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:31 pm

I just hope they finally move on to EOZ and make Goten, Trunks, Pan and Uub the new stars.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:45 pm

This is great news, DB has become a universial multi media franchise. You guys are right, Dokkan Battle alone is enough to generate a movie. :clap:

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:47 pm

precita wrote:I just hope they finally move on to EOZ and make Goten, Trunks, Pan and Uub the new stars.

You are going to have to drop this hope. The show is performing well under Goku. There is no need to move onto a new generation.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm

precita wrote:I just hope they finally move on to EOZ and make Goten, Trunks, Pan and Uub the new stars.
What is your obsession with Goten, Trunks, Pan and Uub the new stars when there’s no data to support that most people want them as stars?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Lol. Goten, Trunks, Oob and Pan aren't going to be the new stars.

Legion
Regular

Post by Legion » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Please, no.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Legion wrote:
Please, no.
Please, yes. What we have now is really starting to get stale.

Mind you, that's just an opinion.
Kinokima wrote:You are going to have to drop this hope. The show is performing well under Goku. There is no need to move onto a new generation.
Why would those of us who are interested in this simply give up when it's precisely the type of story that EoZ seemed to promise? There's no reason to suggest it can't perform well with a mix of Goku and others. Hell, DragonBall GT was literally DragonBall Goku Time and it flopped. There may be a thing as too much Goku. O.o
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why would those of us who are interested in this simply give up when it's precisely the type of story that EoZ seemed to promise?

There's no reason to suggest it can't perform well with a mix of Goku and others.

DragonBall GT was literally DragonBall Goku Time and it flopped.
It didn't promise anything, that was just the ending. Had things continued it would've with Goku like what GT did and what Super is doing.

Goku would still have to be the main character.

GT flopped for a lot more than that.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:21 pm

sintzu wrote:
Li'l Lemmy wrote:Why would those of us who are interested in this simply give up when it's precisely the type of story that EoZ seemed to promise?

There's no reason to suggest it can't perform well with a mix of Goku and others.

DragonBall GT was literally DragonBall Goku Time and it flopped.
It didn't promise anything, that was just the ending. Had things continued it would've with Goku like what GT did and what Super is doing.

Goku would still have to be the main character.

GT flopped for a lot more than that.
I thought the whole point of EoZ from Toriyama's perspective was that, and I'm paraphrasing here, Goku's adventures were coming to an end and "a new generation was taking over" or something like that.

I'm not saying that it's what people /want/, mind you.

Well, I do. But that's just me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:I thought the whole point of EoZ from Toriyama's perspective was that, and I'm paraphrasing here, Goku's adventures were coming to an end and "a new generation was taking over" or something like that.
That's true but that's how he wanted to END it. DB has no end in sight so as long as it goes on, it'll go on with Goku.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:29 pm

I am fine with the kids playing a role but I prefer the main characters to be Goku with the secondar mains to be Vegeta, and Gohan.

Trunks, Goten, Pan, and Bra all having a role sounds great because of their relation to the above (Uub I have much less interest in). Not every story has to move onto the next generation or be about kids and teens. And personally as I said in another thread I enjoy have adult characters as the lead. If anything that is what makes DB unique among the many many shounen stories.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Oh, I'm not opposed to it going on with Goku. It's still Goku's story. But some heavier involvement from the aforementioned characters would be nice, and fitting given the context EoZ was meaning to convey.

Having any one of them individually shoulder the burden of MC, no. Probably not. None of them have the needed development. But if it were me, the focus should at least begin shifting toward them, or being more inclusive of them, under Goku and Vegeta.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Kinokima wrote:I enjoy have adult characters as the lead. If anything that is what makes DB unique among the many many shounen stories.
That's another reason not to change anything, every other show has kids so keeping the adults around gives DB more of a special identity among them. DB is the grandfather of Shonen so it makes sense to have them be adults.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Trunks and Goten are adults in EOZ. I didn't know everyone had short-term amnesia.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:06 pm

sintzu wrote:
Thanks a lot for these. The longer the anime goes on the longer the manga will which is good news for me.
I was just being conservative. Dragon Ball is one of the biggest media franchise in Japan and comparable to the likes of One Piece and Pokemon. No single individual's death will kill the franchise now.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 pm

precita wrote:Trunks and Goten are adults in EOZ. I didn't know everyone had short-term amnesia.

And you seem to not understand that the show isn’t going to change it’s main characters because of what you want.