Are Caulifa and Kale popular characters? What is the general consensus?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Are Caulifa and Kale popular characters? What is the general consensus?

Post by Chuquita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:44 pm

I've been writing it Kalefla. I'd be ok abbreviating to Kafla, but spelling it Kefla reminds me too much of stuff like "Frieza" and "Vegito". I'll stick with the a.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Let's be honest, they are basically made to be shipped. The meek insecure one paired with the outgoing older sister type who treats her better than anyone else. As I said, it's all very tropey.

Maybe it just feels like a big deal because classic Dragon Ball is so aromantic. By Toriyama's own admission he wasn't good at writing romance, and the relationships have this kind of 50s conservative quality to them. A man and a woman make eyes at each other for a bit, hint that they're falling in love (but no kissing, that's icky) and come the next time skip, the wife has settled down into the stern mother/home-maker role and they've got a house, a baby and a white picket fence.

God, imagine that happening with Kale and Caulifla? Like, the next time they show up after the tournament they're just married and have a baby. Kale is wearing a gingham sundress and demanding Caulifla stop spending all her time training and look for a job. And we laugh.
What is this tripe? Girls have been holding hands for thousands of years, they kiss each other on the cheek all the time. That doesn't make them lesbian. It's like saying brofist makes guys gay. Females have completely different way to express affection.

They are not made to be shipped. Stop shoving LGBT into this. You're better off whacking to lesbian erotica. Don't try to sexualize everything
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:31 pm

Nekis13 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I wonder if Kefla (Kefla? Kafla? Which is it?) will have an impact on people's individual opinions of Caulifla and Kale. Any fusions in general are likely to increase popularity, too.
I don't know about Japan, but most Western fans, as least from what I've seen, really dig characters like Vegetto and Gogeta. If they handle Kafla (I refuse to call her "Kefla" because it's dumb) reasonably well in the character department, she could become an instant fan favorite. My ideal scenario would be that if after SSJB Goku defeats, she goes for broke, cranks out SSJ3, goes out in blaze of glory trying to take on SSJB Kaioken Goku and Goku just easily defeats her, while telling her, "You did well very. You pushed yourself far beyond your limit. But I'm afraid the training ends here." They got knocked out and defuse while on the sidelines.

Sadly with how mad the (I assume is vocal minority, cuz that's what Youtube comments are) fanbase is at the two for "back tingles" or whatever, there's no way they'll ever become fan favorites, at least in the western fandom. I'd like to be proved wrong though.
I Think you will be presently suprised when time goes by down the road.

I have been threw this with Comic Books Characters, New and Old, Stories and Series themselves. I call it "Present Day Politicking", Fans getting riled-up over story elements, characters and ideals that don't fit with what they like about their Franchise and you see this happen greatly on the net mainly YT and Forums. However forums are more reasonable, YT while their are good posters and video creators is a wasteland of hate anything and politics.

I think after these last few episodes and going forward Caulifla and Kale will have their own nitch of Fans and it will grow overtime. I say the Same-thing for Ribrianne, Rozie, Toppo, Jiren and other new characters go threw this, it seems big and that they will never be loved like the classic characters. But in time then end-up being cause people have short hate spans and move onto the next big/major thing that gets them upset. It is also a vocal minority I feel as well, not saying anyone that has valued problems can't express their views, they should, but more like YT and other comments that repeat the same dribble over and over with not structure towards why and how to make the characters better, but then they move on.

Also it is the nature of the ToP arc sadly too, it is a character ego measuring contest, fans want their favorites to look as good as they can and get upset when any other newbie takes light off their favorites. It is ok to want your best to do well, but New Characters need time for them to develop.

In the end this will blow over and Caulifla and Kale will be Fan Favorites to their own degree.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:10 pm

Asura wrote:
Kataphrut wrote: Well, they're not going to start making out in the middle of the battle, that would be inefficient! They're still Saiyans after all :lol:
You're the second person to jump on my "holding hands" remark as if that was the shatterpoint upon which my entire insinuation hinged. It's just an example, there's plenty of others like it in the twenty-something episodes these characters have been around.

And I know the stuff I'm calling evidence of gay subtext is tropey as hell, but if people want to take that reading away from it, then why deny them?

This thread is about the popularity of Kale and Caulifla, but everyone has been kind of tiptoeing around the fact that having female Super Saiyans in a prominent role is good representation and a lot of female fans are finally getting it after all these years. We like to think we're above that, that talking about diversity and representation is for the Tumblr crowd. But looking over this thread, are any of the discussions about power scaling and relative screentime any less fatuous? And you know just maybe...just maybe, if we accept that having female representation is a good enough reason for a character's popularity, perhaps we can also accept that gay fans might appreciate the same courtesy?
What I'm getting from your comment is because there are gay people out there who want them to be gay, then that automatically deems it so.

Again, about as legit as a tumblr fan ship. Just saying that it would do gay people a service to make them gay doesn't legitimately make them gay.

Goku and Vegeta were so deep inside each other that they became the same person. It's quite possibly gayer than anything Caulifla and Kale have ever done :lol:

But if someone likes Caulifla and Kale and thinks they're popular because they're gay, then that's a problem. You're going to like a character solely for their sexual orientation? That's just like liking them just because they're females. This is the exact problem with the "diversity" crowd. Too much focus on gender, race, and sexual orientation and not enough focus on actual character. I'm not saying every person who thinks they're gay is like this, but from what you said you're implying there are people out there who think like this.

You're free to make up your own facfiction ships in your head, just don't expect other people to believe it as truth.
Well, they just did that themselves.

And no, having people see them as gay doesn't automatically make them gay. Stop seeing things in absolutes. As I've said many times, we are never going to get explicit confirmation of them being gay because of the nature of the show and the culture. But that can't stop people from projecting different meaning onto them if they so chose, informed by the characterisation that is there. It's called "death of the authour", and it's been done before in hundreds of works. Sometimes it's not even something as simple as shipping, merely seeing themes in something that wasn't strictly intended as such.

I mean, would it be alright if years later in Chouzenshu 12 or whatever Toriyama came out and said "by the way, I wrote these characters as gay"? It looks to me that people are saying they won't accept it unless it's set out in stone in such a way, but we all know how unlikely that is to happen. But if he did actually say that, I'm sure plenty would find a way to invoke death of the authour then.

And lastly, the idea that focus on gender, race and sexual orientation precludes any other appreciation of a character shows just how ignorant you are of what I'm describing. I've brought up multiple in times in this thread and others reasons why I like Caulifla that have nothing to do with her gender or any reading of her sexuality. In fact, those aren't even high on my personal priorities. A characters gender or (in this case) implied sexuality isn't the only thing that makes them interesting, because that argument implies that such a character can't *be* interesting in any other way. But what it does do is make them uniquely relatable, and makes the property as a whole more broadly appealing. Those are entirely good things, and one can still relate to a character and be critical of them.

Look write it off however you want, I'm done arguing this. Just know I've tried to explain why *I* and others might find it important and why I think it's a dick move to try and stomp all over it for no real reason.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Why do people keep saying "Japan" doesn't do this? Do you guys know how common gay and lesbian characters are in anime?

I find it bizarre you guys think this isn't a thing. I think you guys are thinking of American cartoons.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:21 pm

Kataphrut wrote:And lastly, the idea that focus on gender, race and sexual orientation precludes any other appreciation of a character shows just how ignorant you are of what I'm describing. I've brought up multiple in times in this thread and others reasons why I like Caulifla that have nothing to do with her gender or any reading of her sexuality. In fact, those aren't even high on my personal priorities. A characters gender or (in this case) implied sexuality isn't the only thing that makes them interesting, because that argument implies that such a character can't *be* interesting in any other way. But what it does do is make them uniquely relatable, and makes the property as a whole more broadly appealing. Those are entirely good things, and one can still relate to a character and be critical of them.

Look write it off however you want, I'm done arguing this. Just know I've tried to explain why *I* and others might find it important and why I think it's a dick move to try and stomp all over it for no real reason.
I apologize, this is my fault for my poor wording. When I said "You're going to like a character solely for their sexual orientation?" I didn't literally mean you personally, it was more like, aimed at people who actually think that way so it was saying "you" to those people I was addressing.

But anyway, you yourself seem to admit that people see things that weren't intended. People are free to have their own opinions and their own interpretations, just don't go around pretending it's fact.

Caulifla and Kale are assumed to be just friends unless stated otherwise, not the opposite where they're lesbians unless stated otherwise.

And yeah, it would be alright if years later Toriyama said "Yes, they're gay." because that's the word from the man who made the characters. If he says they're gay, they're gay. Until that happens though, they're not lesbians.
precita wrote:Why do people keep saying "Japan" doesn't do this? Do you guys know how common gay and lesbian characters are in anime?

I find it bizarre you guys think this isn't a thing. I think you guys are thinking of American cartoons.
I don't think a single person in this thread has said that Japan doesn't do this sort of thing so I'm not sure who you're referring to.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:39 am

Lord Beerus wrote:How could you not love Caulifla? She's awesome. In my opinion. :P
She makes me want to burn my hand on a stove every time she opens her mouth.

Indifferent on Kale. At least she's a different spin on the typical saiyan personality.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:27 am

Li'l Lemmy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:How could you not love Caulifla? She's awesome. In my opinion. :P
She makes me want to burn my hand on a stove every time she opens her mouth.

Indifferent on Kale. At least she's a different spin on the typical saiyan personality.
For me it's the opposite. I love that Caulifla is similar to Goku but very different at the same time. She had me with that "Of course I'm scared....of my own limitless potential!"

I hated her at first and wish she developed slower...but she's grown on me.

Kale on the other hand...serve her to Freeza for dessert please.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:24 pm

Here's the general consensus regarding these two characters.
https://youtu.be/K0E1v2_MSGo
This guy has more videos on why he hates these two Saiyans.

And then there's good old Tyron Magnus.
https://youtu.be/3qrAViJdGVU

Yes these guys make good points. I, for one, am tired of these two characters aswell. They're boring, lame, and just overall not interesting. What makes me hate them even more is Toei themselves pushing these characters so hard! It's annoying AF. What's more, i hate this entire arc! Aswell as the almost entire year long slice and life build up towards this thing! Fanservice up my ass, it's not even close. The only two things from this arc that were actually "GREAT" are ofcourse Ultra Instinct Goku and Jiren too ofcourse. That is all. The Future Trunks/Zamasu/Goku Black arc was INFINITELY better than what came after it! (Minus the concept of UI Goku ofcourse, which is in turn infinitely better than anything that ever happened in the history of Dragon Ball).

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:34 pm

But that can't stop people from projecting different meaning onto them if they so chose, informed by the characterisation that is there. It's called "death of the authour", and it's been done before in hundreds of works.
Yes, and "Death of the Author" is an overly misused and misunderstood concept amongst fans that goes completely against the true nature of decoding message/information in communication psychology. Which already starts with "communication is successful if both sides get what they intended". If you purposely read something else out of information/message you purposely lead to a disturbance of communication. There is a big difference in "I understand the message as it was meant but I don't agree with it" or actually having the guts of saying "I don't agree that's what the message is about. Look, no one says you cannot see anything in anything but do not act like it is a fact, which you do when you start an argument because if everything is valid or invalid then the entire argument itself already is pointless from the get-go. I can easily see xyz in whatever I want. I would never argue though that it is the real thing. And you never intended it to be non factual otherwise you would not have tried to convince people. Convince them of what then? Something you were aware that it is just something you personally want to see?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:23 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Here's the general consensus regarding these two characters.

Yes these guys make good points. I, for one, am tired of these two characters aswell. They're boring, lame, and just overall not interesting. What makes me hate them even more is Toei themselves pushing these characters so hard! It's annoying AF. What's more, i hate this entire arc! Aswell as the almost entire year long slice and life build up towards this thing! Fanservice up my ass, it's not even close. The only two things from this arc that were actually "GREAT" are ofcourse Ultra Instinct Goku and Jiren too ofcourse. That is all. The Future Trunks/Zamasu/Goku Black arc was INFINITELY better than what came after it! (Minus the concept of UI Goku ofcourse, which is in turn infinitely better than anything that ever happened in the history of Dragon Ball).
That's not the general consensus though. You'll see people hate any character in Dragonball, even Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, etc.

The general opinion of most fans toward Caulifa/Kale is positive.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:41 pm

precita wrote:

That's not the general consensus though. You'll see people hate any character in Dragonball, even Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, etc.

The problem with the thread in general is there is no consensus. These are some of the most split reaction characters in the entire franchise. To call the consensus either positive or negative is dishonest.

And GodVegetto, you're lucky you at least like those two things. I think ultra instinct is unnecessary plot wise and only there for merchandising, while also making Goku even more of an overpowered special snowflake undeservingly, and Jiren is less of a Dragon Ball character, and more like what a person who has never seen Dragon Ball thinks a Dragon Ball character is like. So for me personally I liked only the Roshi episode of this arc and nothing else. The special LOOKED great, but the plot and characters were as bad as ever.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:04 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
precita wrote:

The problem with the thread in general is there is no consensus. These are some of the most split reaction characters in the entire franchise. To call the consensus either positive or negative is dishonest.

And GodVegetto, you're lucky you at least like those two things. I think ultra instinct is unnecessary plot wise and only there for merchandising, while also making Goku even more of an overpowered special snowflake undeservingly, and Jiren is less of a Dragon Ball character, and more like what a person who has never seen Dragon Ball thinks a Dragon Ball character is like. So for me personally I liked only the Roshi episode of this arc and nothing else. The special LOOKED great, but the plot and characters were as bad as ever.
I respect your opinion but why the hate for UI? It's a more well thought out and unique "transformation" than we've had in a long time. It actually has some martial arts merit rather than just being stronger. I'd say it's up there with SSG as my favorite.

Jiren is....polarizing. I like that he isn't a villain...because he's not supposed to be. He's just some ultra strong dude that won't do anything until he has to. I'm sure he will be expanded on later, his past anyway. Then I'll decide for sure.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:36 pm

"I'm at the part now where Kale and Caulifla do their little romance incest sister shit whatever the fuck and I honestly couldn't give a single fuck about this storyline right now."

Turned the video off there, which was only 20 seconds in. Maybe if he actually gave more a fuck about the storyline and paid attention to the characters then he wouldn't be making retarded accusations of "incest". Also, why say it's "the general consensus"? I didn't realize some dude with 249 views on his YouTube video now counts as "the general consensus" for the whole fandom.

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:01 pm

Asura wrote:

"I'm at the part now where Kale and Caulifla do their little romance incest sister shit whatever the fuck and I honestly couldn't give a single fuck about this storyline right now."

Turned the video off there, which was only 20 seconds in. Maybe if he actually gave more a fuck about the storyline and paid attention to the characters then he wouldn't be making retarded accusations of "incest". Also, why say it's "the general consensus"? I didn't realize some dude with 249 views on his YouTube video now counts as "the general consensus" for the whole fandom.
Agreed. That first video linked was terrible, I barely lasted a minute listening to this dude whine endlessly, referring to Toei as cancer for the fusion. So stupid and incredibly immature.

He was playing a video game while barely watching a SUBBED cartoon, then thinks his opinion has any weight. It's blind hate until he pays attention.

As for the second video. That "reaction" Tuber does nothing but complain about Super. Always comes across as one of those dudes that only liked Z for the fights and wants endless SSJ vs SSJ male on male battles. I'd be shocked if he said he loved the original Dragon Ball.

As far as I can tell; the girls wouldn't have gotten so much screen time if they weren't proving to be a hit. Sure episodes are written and made a few months in advance, so i'll wait till the end of the arc to say for sure, but if they return in the near future it'll be without question they're loved.

Personally, i'm still waiting for them to appear in a DB game. Crazy how DB games have become like WWE's, in that they're already outdated as soon as they're released. Far cry from the days of hoping the story goes beyond Cell arc.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 pm

AloversGaming wrote:
Asura wrote:

Agreed. That first video linked was terrible, I barely lasted a minute listening to this dude whine endlessly, referring to Toei as cancer for the fusion. So stupid and incredibly immature.

He was playing a video game while barely watching a SUBBED cartoon, then thinks his opinion has any weight. It's blind hate until he pays attention.

As for the second video. That "reaction" Tuber does nothing but complain about Super. Always comes across as one of those dudes that only liked Z for the fights and wants endless SSJ vs SSJ male on male battles. I'd be shocked if he said he loved the original Dragon Ball.

As far as I can tell; the girls wouldn't have gotten so much screen time if they weren't proving to be a hit. Sure episodes are written and made a few months in advance, so i'll wait till the end of the arc to say for sure, but if they return in the near future it'll be without question they're loved.

Personally, i'm still waiting for them to appear in a DB game. Crazy how DB games have become like WWE's, in that they're already outdated as soon as they're released. Far cry from the days of hoping the story goes beyond Cell arc.
It is the symptom of the Internet.

Speaking mainly of the 1st Tuber, The ideal that a lone opinion is enough for one to believe theirs is the be-all-end-all to a debate and the Rich part being that THEY can speak for a Whole Lot of Fans that completely agree with his point of view while at the same time throwing out curse words are the 2 major signs you have nothing constructive to give.

Honestly criticism is deconstructing why something does not work, what characters like Caulifa and Kale are not working by giving points on both story structure, past dragon ball history and character points of development. At least then you can have a real case against a character, but the downfall of the other kind of thinking is that is does do anything but complain while trying to keep pushing the mythos you speak for the whole of the fandom community. It is something a Politician does to get a view or bill pass, when they say All Americans want and agree on this then you know they are full of stuffing.

You can only speak for yourself, you maybe able to talk about other fans you have talked to or made friends with that have similar views, but you only speak for yourself. You are but 1 drop of water in a ocean more vast then you can imagine. Fans need to have some humility in how the see both themselves and how the present that in a argument for or against something and how much they hope it will change minds.

Fans like this will speak their minds but hardly represent a majority of the fandom, we can never really know what a majority of the fans really think ever. But what I do speculate is that most are not online in talks all the time on Dragon Ball and most of just basic causal viewers that enjoy what they get from the franchise to the degrees they want.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:26 am

LOL, the youtuber actually thought Caulifa and Kale were sisters because the sub translates Kale's lines as, "Sis." :lol:

And he calls them lesbian incest lovers? These are the kind of people you're taking seriously as people who hate Caulifa/Kale? Most youtubers are uneducated on the franchise, grew up with the dub, know nothing about how Toei, Toriyama, etc. come up with the plotlines of Super, or the direction of the franchise.

Especially all those guys who seem like they only liked Dragonball Z for the fighting. :lol: They probably think Dragonball is muscle bound meat-heads screaming at each other for 100 hours. They can't handle girl characters fighting it seems.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:54 am

Well i actually thought the dude was fucking hilarious and just because of that, i greatly enjoyed it! What's more, i even agree with the points he's making. Kale and Caulifla are "in the way" of the story and actual important characters. Why eliminate Hit for them? Why not fully show Vegeta Vs Toppo? Most people i know don't give a shit about these two saiyan girls and would much rather see "the big boys". I am one of them. But really it's all Toei's fault.

This Arc, WITH ALL OF IT'S MEDIOCRE SIDE CHARACTERS, is taking WAY too long.

Goku Black and Zamasu, how i miss you guys!!
"My boys!" They truly make me happy!

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:51 am

Hit wasn't eliminated for them, Hit's only purpose in this tournament was to fight Dyspo a bit and job to Jiren. Goku/Hit already got their rematch in the fillers before the start of the tournament, so we didn't need to see another one.

And why do people keep bringing up Vegeta/Toppo? Of course that's going to get a full episode eventually, I don't understand people having mental breakdowns over "not getting to see Vegeta/Toppo" when it's obvious they're saving it for a later time.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:02 am

precita wrote:Hit wasn't eliminated for them, Hit's only purpose in this tournament was to fight Dyspo a bit and job to Jiren. Goku/Hit already got their rematch in the fillers before the start of the tournament, so we didn't need to see another one.

And why do people keep bringing up Vegeta/Toppo? Of course that's going to get a full episode eventually, I don't understand people having mental breakdowns over "not getting to see Vegeta/Toppo" when it's obvious they're saving it for a later time.
They don't trust Toei. Toppo vs Vegeta along with Piccolo and Gohan vs Saonel and Pilina should have at least an episode each as they are making us wait so long.