How Califla made Gohan look pathetic

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

How Califla made Gohan look pathetic

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:22 pm

The simple matter of her being more like Goku in personality/power than Goku's son himself.

And this makes me depressed for Gohan. :(
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

precita
Banned

Re: How Califla made Gohan look pathetic

Post by precita » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:25 pm

I'm sure Gohan doesn't care.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm

True.

She should replace Chichi and have a real Saiyan child.
Feels over Reals.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:36 pm

I don't think Gohan not being exactly like Goku is a bad thing
Last edited by MaskedRider on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Gohan is a much more interesting than Caulifla, Gohan got his own personality, he is more peaceful and smart than most characters, he also shows to be a family man, a great husband and father, something that is rarely seen in Dragon Ball characters, perhaps Vegeta shows these qualities but, only in Super, while he didnt have the same love for fighting that Goku, Vegeta or Piccolo got, he knows that he is really strong, and will step in to fight if he is needed. His comeback was hinted and foreshadowed when he asked Piccolo to train him again, he was slowly built to this moment.
Also the fact that he is different from his father makes him a better character, Goten for example is Goku as a kid, and he is really boring.

Caulifla on the other hand, is the same character than Goku but female, I mean she is not original or nothing, it really bores me, and it seems they are really forcing Caulifla on our faces and feels really rushed, I mean even Cabba, Kale, Roshi, 17, Freeza and Jiren got more buit up to this moment

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:44 pm

Sigh why is a character’s worth only based on their power level/strength? Gohan went through an amazing character journey. He will never be pathetic.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Benedetto12 wrote:Gohan is a much more interesting than Caulifla, Gohan got his own personality, he is more peaceful and smart than most characters, he also shows to be a family man, a great husband and father, something that is rarely seen in Dragon Ball characters, perhaps Vegeta shows these qualities but, only in Super, while he didnt have the same love for fighting that Goku, Vegeta or Piccolo got, he knows that he is really strong, and will step in to fight if he is needed. His comeback was hinted and foreshadowed when he asked Piccolo to train him again, he was slowly built to this moment.
Also the fact that he is different from his father makes him a better character, Goten for example is Goku as a kid, and he is really boring.

Caulifla on the other hand, is the same character than Goku but female, I mean she is not original or nothing, it really bores me, and it seems they are really forcing Caulifla on our faces and feels really rushed, I mean even Cabba, Kale, Roshi, 17, Freeza and Jiren got more buit up to this moment
Lets be honest with ourselves, after this tournament Gohan will go back to be a non-character, nerdy, stay-at-home dad. While Caulifla on the other hand will mostly become a reaccuring character much like Cabba is.
Feels over Reals.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Benedetto12 wrote:Caulifla on the other hand, is the same character than Goku but female, I mean she is not original or nothing, it really bores me, and it seems they are really forcing Caulifla on our faces and feels really rushed, I mean even Cabba, Kale, Roshi, 17, Freeza and Jiren got more buit up to this moment
Caulifla is the U6 counterpart to Goku, but they are in no way the "same character". They have their similarities, but they have a ton of differences too. I don't really see how any of the fighters you listed except Jiren got more build-up than Caulifla did.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:54 pm

If you're sad on his behalf, you don't have to be like your parents to be liked by them.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:58 pm

Simere wrote:If you're sad on his behalf, you don't have to be like your parents to be liked by them.
True, Gohan has proved that. And he definitely has his father Goku's love and respect. I guess it should be okay for Gohan to return to his family when it's over.

Still, the way things look IMO Califla and Goku's love for fighting seems to make them closer than Gohan's relationship with his dad. But then Goku has been an absentee father to Gohan, not through his own intentions obviously but that's the way the story went.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:11 pm

RedHeat wrote:Lets be honest with ourselves, after this tournament Gohan will go back to be a non-character, nerdy, stay-at-home dad. While Caulifla on the other hand will mostly become a reaccuring character much like Cabba is.
I really hope he does. Gohan's character shines through the strongest when he's being Great Saiyadad, scholar and goofball husband extraordinaire. That was his dream so more power to him.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:15 pm

Kinokima wrote:Sigh why is a character’s worth only based on their power level/strength? Gohan went through an amazing character journey. He will never be pathetic.
Right? He got the life he wanted and is now doing his own thing, fighting for his own loved one's, Goku respects him and Gohan respects him so much back. There relationship seems fine to me, and Gohan is now his own character doing his own things living his own life, what is "pathetic" about that? What is pathetic is his fans not appreciating him as a character and as some power-level being.

What is next? Does Jiren suddenly make every character in DB pathetic?

incarnati0n
Beyond Newbie

Post by incarnati0n » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:29 pm

One of the biggest reasons of why many people are Gohan fans is exactly because of the contrast between his personality and motivations when compared to the rest of the characters in the show. If he ever bacame a clone of Goku, he would become a boring characters.

In terms of their relationship, I think it's great. Goku discovered how Gohan was different from him by the end of the cell saga and has come to accept that Gohan isn't a fighter the same way he is while still giving respect to his son and help push him forward when Gohan expresses the desire to fight just like we saw in ep. 90.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:20 pm

This topic is extremely asinine, Why would you compare two different characters that are unique in their own way and have their own fan bases. A lot of Gohan Fans Like him because he is so nerdy and Fun (*hint *hint he's relatable) Thats why the beginning of the Buu saga is some Of my favorite stuff in the franchise. Gohan as a character will never be lower than or less developed than caulifla because we seen since the beginning of the saiyan saga his relationship with Goku, Piccolo and Krillin, and nothing in Super can ever replace that since it was in the original manga that started it all. Also calling Gohan a non character if he stops fighting and takes a more family man role is pure fanboyism to caulifla and kale. The Girls are not bad characters by any means and I have no problem with you liking them but if we're to call a character like Hit better written or more compelling to a character like piccolo (even though he is a copy of the same character mold) then you just going to like whatever new thing toei pushes out and I wouldn't take you seriously

Also I doubt the girls would have more screen time than him after this arc and I am ot even me being bias here, but toei would never truly replace the main cast when there the one of the only reasons why some of their older fans are still watching the show
Last edited by ssjprodigy on Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kastex » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:24 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:The simple matter of her being more like Goku in personality/power than Goku's son himself.

And this makes me depressed for Gohan. :(
there is nothing wrong with gohan being different than goku in personality and power. gohan is only half saiyan and had a completely different upbringing.

caulifla is not all that similar to goku in terms of personality and power. her personality is not much closer to goku's than gohan's personality. their powers are not very closely similar either.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Kinokima wrote:Sigh why is a character’s worth only based on their power level/strength? Gohan went through an amazing character journey. He will never be pathetic.
Your literally the best person on this forum!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:40 pm

Gohan made himself look pathetic.

ssjprodigy
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjprodigy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Doctor. wrote:Gohan made himself look pathetic.
How?? So they prestablished he didn't like to fight since the saiyan saga and being "weak" doesn't make you pathetic, sometimes it feels only this fanbase bases how good a character is by how strong they are

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:50 pm

ssjprodigy wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Gohan made himself look pathetic.
How?? So they prestablished he didn't like to fight since the saiyan saga and being "weak" doesn't make you pathetic, sometimes it feels only this fanbase bases how good a character is by how strong they are
Gohan is a character that represents the complete opposite of Dragon Ball. That is his biggest problem.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:51 pm

I think it's possible that there's a subset of Gohan fans who only like Cell arc ssj2 Gohan and wish he was that all the time. I could be wrong.

It wasn't until Great Saiyaman that I begun to like Gohan though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!