8 Ways Dragon Ball Super Is Better Than Dragon Ball Z (And 7 It’s Worse)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lujin_16
Regular

8 Ways Dragon Ball Super Is Better Than Dragon Ball Z (And 7 It’s Worse)

Post by Lujin_16 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:49 pm

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: 8 Ways Dragon Ball Super Is Better Than Dragon Ball Z (And 7 It’s Worse)

Post by MajinMan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Just another clickbait article with terrible points that are clearly not researched. You can tell they did their "research" by looking at fan posts and comments about the series and stitched up a garbage article. The Goku one in particular shows a clear misunderstanding of his most BASIC character traits and blames him for events that are not his fault.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I LOVE Super but what the hecky is this article?

BETTER
1) The humor for me is mixed, I don't find it funnier or worse than the other. It works for their respective contexts.
2) I thought the Androids were more serious than Boo but different strokes for different folks. I don't like this reason, I do appreciate Super and its call backs but that doesn't make it better.
3) I guess it depends who you are. Super suffers from either being too fast or too slow. I had no issue with Z.
4) BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY no.
5) Arguable
6) Eh, not really. Don't hide it, I know we all would be lying if we said we predicted the ending of the Future Trunks arc but that is about it.
7) I like the ToP but I wouldn't use the concept of it as a reason to why Super is better than Z
8) Arguable

WORSE
1) I mean, I don't like that they retold the movies either but I understand why they needed to to take into consideration that there may be individuals out there that hadn't seen the BoG and RoF movies and its important to the overall narrative of Super.
2) Yeah...? Kinda sorta maybe.
3) There is no denying this.
4) I felt indifferent toward them. I always imagined the transformations in Super being more manga-like in that they just happen.
5) Yeah, it really is. "Android 17 is suddenly a match for Goku at Super Saiyan Blue" this meme needs to die.
6) You sweet innocent child.
7) Not wrong but I would use impact if we were comparing different shows and their impact on cartoons and comics.

"Which is your favorite Dragon Ball series?"
Chrono Trigger
Last edited by MaskedRider on Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:13 pm

"Super's fight choreography better than Z's." :lolno:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:54 pm

Miracles wrote:"Super's fight choreography better than Z's." :lolno:
We have discussion thread about that already.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:43 pm

"Gohan had proven himself as a worthy opponent for final form Freeza as his path to Earth’s protector became ever clearer."

Uh, what?

Anyhow,

15) I agree with the humor being better in Super
14) Dragon Ball Super is certainly worse than Dragon Ball Z in terms of movie retreads, especially since Z has no movie retreads... not much of a point to be made here.
13) Agreed, Super does have more callbacks to Dragon Ball, whether they always work though... eh.
12) Super definitely has worse character arcs, 100%.
11) Super's pacing is about as bad as Z's, but for the opposite reason. Z went on for way too long sometimes, and Super is way too short most of the time with its fights and its arcs. Pacing in the ToP has been a big improvement IMO.
10) Z wasn't that great with animation, but it was the early 90s after all. In 2015+, we expect something better than Z animation, and most of the time we don't get it. There are a couple great moments however, and the ToP special has the best animation of any Dragon Ball episode in the entire franchise bar none.
9) I think the stakes were always high in Z, and they're about equal in Super, except for the BoG and RoF arcs.
8 ) All of the new transformations in Super have been shit thus far except for UI
7) Super can have some really shitty fight choreography sometimes, I'd wager that Z was a lot better in this regard. Super usually just has people punching or ki blasting for a minute and a half and the fight is over. At least Z's fights lasted awhile and had unique parts about them.
6) Super is horribly inconsistent, this should be a well known fact by now.
5) So far the unpredictability has been nothing short of a disaster for Super, with the insanely controversial Future Trunks arc ending. Freeza's unpredictability is one of the best things to happen to the show though, let's just hope they don't fuck it up like they did last arc.
4) Goku does look a bit more like a psychopath in Super, although I wouldn't go as far to actually call him one. He's just too stupid a lot of the time, stupider than he ever was in Z.
3) ToP is pretty good as an actual tournament because it's better than the only tournament Z legitimately had which was the Cell Games, only having two fighters in it.
2) Obviously Z has had more impact than the (mostly) brand new sequel
1) No, Super definitely does not have better villains than Z. The only villain in Super that's any good is Black. Neither Beerus or Hit are really able to be considered villains, Zamasu could have been handled a lot better, and Jiren makes a better wall than a villain. That leaves only RoF Freeza which is possibly one of the worst things to ever happen to Dragon Ball.

gohan_black
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohan_black » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:35 pm

its the same site that geekdom made fun off