Super is ending!?! (No, it's not)

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kastex
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super is ending!?!

Post by Kastex » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:21 am

Xeogran wrote:Lmao if you want to kill the franchise that is.

Except Trunks, nobody cares about the rest of new genetation characters. This isn't Boruto where the overpowered daddy has an excuse to not do anything and end conflicts in 5 seconds.

It's either Goku or nothing.
if i had an overpowered dad in my teen years, i'd use his influence to get chicks. oh boobies...

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:18 am

There's no way Super is ending, unless a new show starts immediately/shortly after.

I really hope that will be the case, and that the new show will begin from the end of Z.
This could also be a way for Toei to finally fix all Super's flaws - better designs, better shading and colors, more violence and blood, better planning.
The jump would be similar to DB -> DBZ, which also happened with a time skip after a tournament, and brought a more serious tone to the show.
The manga could also finally become weekly and start from chapter 520, essentially fullfilling Super's role as a midquel. Imagine how much the manga could sell if it was a proper continuation of Toriyama's Dragon Ball! This is just me theorizing, I know there's almost no chance of it ever happening, but I believe that making a new show when EoZ is reached could be extremely beneficial, and Super would have served many purposes, such as:
- Making the most out of the 10 years gap, by introducing new characters, expanding the lore, showing some fun filler about characters' lives after Buu arc and powering up Goku and Vegeta more
- Help Toei realize what fans expect out of Dragon Ball in terms of storytelling, art and animation
- Grow Toyotaro into a better Dragon Ball mangaka

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:31 am

emperior wrote:This could also be a way for Toei to finally fix all Super's flaws - better designs, better shading and colors, more violence and blood, better planning.
Dragon Ball is aimed at young audience the most, and the laws are stricter in Japan now than they were when Z aired. Said audience also bring the most revenue, which means - don't expect Dragon Ball with lots of violence and blood in the modern era.

Even super violent stuff like Tiger Mask was softened insanely in it's new sequel.
Last edited by Xeogran on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:36 am

I’ve been calling this since the champs arc...
but whatever I’ll lost the obviously reasons why in this thread in a bit.

Seriously people, Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming a mile away on a dark night in the fog..

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:47 am

Xeogran wrote:
emperior wrote:This could also be a way for Toei to finally fix all Super's flaws - better designs, better shading and colors, more violence and blood, better planning.
Dragon Ball is aimed at young audience the most, and the laws are stricter in Japan now than they were when Z aired. Said audience also bring the most revenue, which means - don't expect Dragon Ball with lots of violence and blood in the modern era.

Even super violent stuff like Tiger Mask was softened insanely in it's new sequel.
I'm not expecting the amount of blood and gore DBZ had, but getting to Super's manga levels would already be more than enough. I would just like to see some damn blood. BoG and RoF were also fine in terms of blood, we could at least see some red marks on battle damage lines.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 am

TheMikado wrote:I’ve been calling this since the champs arc...
but whatever I’ll lost the obviously reasons why in this thread in a bit.

Seriously people, Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming a mile away on a dark night in the fog..
Seems like you were wrong though because apparently this is just a rumor and the video says nothing about Super ending
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:48 am

precita wrote:Most likely "Super" is ending, but the next Dragonball series called, "Dragonball: The Next Generation" will start the following week.

We'll finally move into EOZ with Trunks, Goten, Pan, Uub, etc as the new stars. It's about time.
Honestly i feel like a Dragon Ball Heroes story or vDragon Ball online story would be more interesting. The people from this “new generation” are just not interesting enough and I don’y Know what they are going to do with Pan and Bra.

Dragon Ball Online and Heroes already ave a story concept and the characters are blank enough slates to mold into new, interesting characters.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:58 am

Do you mean it ending with everyone's memories being erased about meeting Beerus ?
AnimeNation101 wrote:Seems like you were wrong though because apparently this is just a rumor and the video says nothing about Super ending
There's going to be another video that says it ends in March. It's clearly not up yet so who knows but Super seems to big at this point to end it this soon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:03 am

It seems pretty weird that this supposed other video hasn’t surfaced yet.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:16 am

sintzu wrote:
Do you mean it ending with everyone's memories being erased about meeting Beerus ?
AnimeNation101 wrote:Seems like you were wrong though because apparently this is just a rumor and the video says nothing about Super ending
There's going to be another video that says it ends in March. It's clearly not up yet so who knows but Super seems to big at this point to end it this soon.
Yeah i heard something about that but that does make sense? How do we know this info f the video hasn’t come out yet. And where is the source of this info in the first place. This is all sooo suspicious

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:20 am

Kinokima wrote:It seems pretty weird that this supposed other video hasn’t surfaced yet.
RIGHT?

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:21 am

sintzu wrote:
Alright so we can cite a ton of in universe and out of universe reasons so I’ll go ahead.

BoG was a movie originally conceived and initial script by Toei without Toriyamas input. Once Toriyama was made aware of the product he rewrote much of the script but kept the original concepts such as SSG and Gods of Destruction. In universe this caused power inflation to the point of having the characters possibly “punch” the universe out of the existence. Narratively you have already reached a plateau power wise in a series about power.

Following this RoF movie was made and produced which pushed this concept even further power wise will also introducing Supers now trademark “characters as strong as the plot demands”.

It’s here where Super proper begins with a retelling of the movies. In this particular case we have seen glimmers of the poor production but will never know with certainty. We have seen multiple turnovers in staffing. During this time we also see the manga used as a promotional tool and being fleshed out presumably from the same “outline” that Toriyama was producing. Further we see Bandai has a sponsorship interest in it which similarly mirrors the Kai debacle. This leads to the Champa arc and our first true hint that the story and outline may not be concrete. This is the first New arc for the series to which we already see a divide in power levels and forms between the anime and the manga as well as the return of the SSJ forms. One of the theories I ran is in a literary sense the SSJ forms were too iconic and the god power too powerful to be used long term in a serialized format. Basically you have to create BS nonsensical scenarios to have your characters have any sense of danger.

Anyway fast forward and it seems on the anime power levels appear to be recon further indicating a production level issue manifested into the story. Also we have the formation of the DragonRoom which is specifically designed to talk about the further of Dragonball over a year ago. We have a new Dragonball 2018 site. We have the mysterious box set with the odd numbering and we have no mention of arcs beyond the current. In universe we have too many outs. Whis has the ability to redo time at any time as would the angels and the grand priest. Zeno is he god of all and we have the super Dragonballs that can grant any wish as well as 12 universes that are getting destroyed.
Further the way the plot has been written and hinged each even could be directly relegated to Goku meeting Beerus. Further this is consistent with their reluctance to go beyond EoZ and respect for Toriyamas work.

The end result I believe is that the wish on the Super Dragonballs will be that Goku never met Beerus setting off the current chain of events.
It neatly resolves everything while simultaneously allowing everything to still exist and EoZ to continue as it was. This they can reboot the series easily.

Whether that video exists or not just adds to the evidence. It not existing doesn’t disprove any of the aforementioned evidence.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:24 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
precita wrote:Most likely "Super" is ending, but the next Dragonball series called, "Dragonball: The Next Generation" will start the following week.

We'll finally move into EOZ with Trunks, Goten, Pan, Uub, etc as the new stars. It's about time.
Honestly i feel like a Dragon Ball Heroes story or vDragon Ball online story would be more interesting. The people from this “new generation” are just not interesting enough and I don’y Know what they are going to do with Pan and Bra.

Dragon Ball Online and Heroes already ave a story concept and the characters are blank enough slates to mold into new, interesting characters.
The idea that the "new generation" aren't "interesting" enough never made sense to me, most of them have little character to speak of since they are children, appeared solely at the endofz, and GT character development for them are irrelavent. These characters are basically blank states that can be molded to be more interesting characters with little effort since it'd be hard to cry over someone being "out of character" when realistically they have little to no character.

So far we got Trunks is cocky and arrogant, that could be used to further desperate his character from the future version, but they'd both still prefer to end things quickly and like swords, Goten we saw still trains, and is a friendly guy, but he could also like swords like his DBO counterpart, while being a slightly less goofy Goku, Marron, Bra, and Pan are children that could gain any personality since they're children, same with Uub, 17 kids, etc.

Also people saying DB will "die" if they get more focus, yet fully comprehend that DB is a kids show and Super makes the most money off children. I find it doubtful that kids will become as upset about Goku possibly taking a little backseat for others, the ones who would likely complain instantly are nostalgic fans who seen the series for years, but they don't likely produce as much profits for the series the way younger Japanese children do.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:26 am

Except what video is out there actually contradicts that the series may end in March. All they said is they don’t know how many episodes Super will be not that it may end in March.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:28 am

TheMikado wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Alright so we can cite a ton of in universe and out of universe reasons so I’ll go ahead.

BoG was a movie originally conceived and initial script by Toei without Toriyamas input. Once Toriyama was made aware of the product he rewrote much of the script but kept the original concepts such as SSG and Gods of Destruction. In universe this caused power inflation to the point of having the characters “punch” the universe out of the existence. Narratively you have already reached a plateau power wise in a series about power.

Following this RoF movie was made and produced which pushed this concept even further power wise will also introducing Supers now trademark “characters as strong as the plot demands”.

It’s here where Super proper begins with a retelling of the movies. In this particular case we have seen glimmers of the poor production but will never know with certainty. We have seen multiple turnovers in staffing. During this time we also see the manga used as a promotional tool and being fleshed out presumably from the same “outline” that Toriyama was producing. Further we see Bandai has a sponsorship interest in it which similarly mirrors the Kai debacle. This leads to the Champa arc and our first true hint that the story and outline may not be concrete. This is the first New arc for the series to which we already see a divide in power levels and forms between the anime and the manga as well as the return of the SSJ forms. One of the theories I ran is in a literary sense the SSJ forms were too iconic and the god power too powerful to be used long term in a serialized format. Basically you have to create BS nonsensical scenarios to have your characters have any sense of danger.

Anyway fast forward and it seems on the anime power levels appear to be recon further indicating a production level issue manifested into the story. Also we have the formation of the DragonRoom which is specifically designed to talk about the further of Dragonball over a year ago. We have a new Dragonball 2018 site. We have the mysterious box set with the odd numbering and we have no mention of arcs beyond the current. In universe we have too many outs. Whis has the ability to redo time at any time as would the angels and the grand priest. Zeno is he god of all and we have the super Dragonballs that can grant any wish as well as 12 universes that are getting destroyed.
Further the way the plot has been written and hinged each even could be directly relegated to Goku meeting Beerus. Further this is consistent with their reluctance to go beyond EoZ and respect for Toriyamas work.

The end result I believe is that the wish on the Super Dragonballs will be that Goku never met Beerus setting off the current chain of events.
It neatly resolves everything while simultaneously allowing everything to still exist and EoZ to continue as it was. This they can reboot the series easily.

Whether that video exists or not just adds to the evidence. It not existing doesn’t disprove any of the aforementioned evidence.
That's not going to happen at all
There not gonna rectons everything so it can fit into eoz
It's terrible for our heroes to work for everything then suddenly a shitty reboot like memory wipe erasing all that
Plus an insult to the viewer's
This is dumbest thing I keep hearing

kusanagi177

Post by kusanagi177 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:33 am

The new interview got posted a while ago here's the interview and the translation https://twitter.com/saiyajedi/status/926798481657696258

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:35 am

Just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it won’t happen. It’s not like Trunks entire world didn’t get wiped out. If that’s how you think it should be than Future Trunks should have just hopped in his Time machine and left everyone else to die. It’s the same effect and ending.
Maybe just maybe the stories also have value rather than just the pay off.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:37 am

kusanagi177 wrote:The new interview got posted a while ago here's the interview and the translation https://twitter.com/saiyajedi/status/926798481657696258

So nothing about the series ending in March but the arc. So yeah it was a misinterpretation of what was said.

Though I am still a bit disappointed we have to wait till around March for this arc to end lol.

And I guess we will find out about a new arc/or possible movie at Jump Fest. Crossing my fingers for that Sadala arc!
Last edited by Kinokima on Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:37 am

TheMikado wrote:
sintzu wrote:

BoG was a movie originally conceived and initial script by Toei without Toriyamas input. Once Toriyama was made aware of the product he rewrote much of the script but kept the original concepts such as SSG and Gods of Destruction. In universe this caused power inflation to the point of having the characters possibly “punch” the universe out of the existence. Narratively you have already reached a plateau power wise in a series about power.

No offense but THAT IS THE MOST STUPID PLAN EVER TO HAPPEN IN ALL OF MEDIA! That whole concept originated from a joke that the Dragon Ball community created to fit GT into the Dragon Bal timeline with Super. That actually happening would be the worst business decision EVER. This is never going to happen ever. Almost no one wants it to happen either unless they hate Super and love GT

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:38 am

TekTheNinja wrote:

I wish, but they don't have the balls to do something like that. Hell, modern Toriyama doesn't even have the balls let anyone besides Goku and Vegeta fight most of the lackeys, let alone be the main focus. Also wouldn't even let Vegeta kill Frieza. Even if they go beyond EoZ, Goku will still be miles ahead of everyone and boringly sweeping up enemies. This is the fatal flaw of modern Dragon Ball.
This isn't a modern DB thing. This has been going on for some time in DB. Personally, I don't really like it myself, but Goku being miles ahead of his friends almost all the time will probably never change unfortunately.