A complaint about Piccolo in an NEP for an upcoming episode that has not yet aired and I therefore have not seen

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Really TOEI? Why?

Post by majinwarman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:18 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
This preview in particular is playing on many people's worst case scenario when it comes to Piccolo being eliminated. Toei are being right evil bastards with this specific preview.

Previews always have misleading parts in it and everyone needs to always remember that.
I understand what you are saying man. But, why do other people have start having a fit or claiming that they are going to drop the show?
That is initial reactions for you. We all do it. When I first saw this preview I was really pissed but that is just the preview doing its job. Piccolo fans are basically getting tortured for a whole week even though I am convinced the preview is misleading.
But, you weren't throwing insults at people left and right and claiming to stop watching the show. I just think people need to take a deep breath and wait and see. But, I'm glad there are some rational people out there.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BWri

Post by BWri » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:59 pm

HeroR wrote:
BWri wrote: In the promotional materials mainly, but in the show as well. In the U6 arc posters Piccolo was shown as #3 behind Goku and Vegeta, with a prominant amount of space devoted to his image. The posters had him and Buu looking rather prominent and the buildup to the tourney was a tease as well. As we know, Buu wasn't featured at all, so at best it was deceptive marketing. Piccolo training with Gohan again (which amounted to virtually nothing for either of them in terms of narrative weight for that arc). Then the ToP promo material and recruitment arc made all the characters appear to be important, which they are to a degree but its still mostly Goku Time. Even Vegeta has taken a major backseat.
That really isn't a 'promise' per say. I mean, now many times have we seen the Z-Fighters in the intro of Z and half of them do crap?
If not a promise, it is at least a marketing stunt to say, "hey, this character will be important or prominent." Intros vs. promo material is a different thing though. The supporting cast is always featured in the intros in one form or another, but the same isn't to be said of the promotional material and when they are it's usually far in the background. In the U6 tournament Piccolo was practically front and center with Vegeta and Goku.

Normal Dragon Ball posters look like this:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Or this, with prominent characters in the foreground or middle and extras far in the back
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

But the U6 tourney looked like this
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

By contrast, the promo poster for DBZ's Cell arc features more characters in the foreground. The art looks modern so I'm not sure if this is Toei sanctioned or not (it pops up when I search "official cell saga poster"), but it shows me that all these characters will feature prominently in some form or fashion.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Same goes to the Frieza arc poster. We know everyone is prominent here.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 am

I'm not sure what will happen in the next episode but one thing I'm sure. Piccolo isn't suffering by getting shotted by that mouth blast, they never show sequencial frame scenes at the previews.

Also, The fact that his opponent tanked a makanposappo can be explained. Most likely that's a regular makankosappo and not a charged one. The charged one is powerful, the other isn't that powerful. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:31 am

BWri wrote: If not a promise, it is at least a marketing stunt to say, "hey, this character will be important or prominent." Intros vs. promo material is a different thing though. The supporting cast is always featured in the intros in one form or another, but the same isn't to be said of the promotional material and when they are it's usually far in the background. In the U6 tournament Piccolo was practically front and center with Vegeta and Goku.
I think that had more to do with the fact that there were literally only 5 relevant characters that arc, so where else would they put him? It was a stylistic choice to put them all in a row like that, but he is still behind Goku and Vegeta like everywhere else. He's also the tallest and broadest character among the fighters baring Buu, and his cape and shoulder pads make his frame take up even more space, so he has to put somewhere further in the background most of the time.
Last edited by Michsi on Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:46 am

Roronoa-pt wrote:I'm not sure what will happen in the next episode but one thing I'm sure. Piccolo isn't suffering by getting shotted by that mouth blast, they never show sequencial frame scenes at the previews.

Also, The fact that his opponent tanked a makanposappo can be explained. Most likely that's a regular makankosappo and not a charged one. The charged one is powerful, the other isn't that powerful. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
They would never show a character losing in a preview like that.

I also find it very hard to believe that Toriyama in his notes wrote that Piccolo and Gohan fight Saonel and Pirina, Piccolo loses and then Gohan beats Saonel and Pirina. No fucking way!

Piccolo will probably be in a tough situation but will get over it just like 18 did in episode 117.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:26 am

Michsi wrote:
BWri wrote: If not a promise, it is at least a marketing stunt to say, "hey, this character will be important or prominent." Intros vs. promo material is a different thing though. The supporting cast is always featured in the intros in one form or another, but the same isn't to be said of the promotional material and when they are it's usually far in the background. In the U6 tournament Piccolo was practically front and center with Vegeta and Goku.
I think that had more to do with the fact that there were literally only 5 relevant characters that arc, so where else would they put him? It was a stylistic choice to put them all in a row like that, but he is still behind Goku and Vegeta like everywhere else. He's also the tallest and broadest character among the fighters baring Buu, and his cape and shoulder pads make his frame take up even more space, so he has to put somewhere further in the background most of the time.
I could see it being a stylistic choice which it most likely is, BUT when combined with the fact that they put Buu on the poster, who didn't even compete mind you, I just see it as false advertisement. To a degree, I think they know what they are doing in using fan favorite sub-characters to advertise an arc and in this case the plotting was more at fault for Piccolo and Buu, so it's Toriyama's decision to make Piccolo and Buu ineffective characters in the arc. I guess it's Toriyama who doesn't see the value in his non Goku characters.
Roronoa-pt wrote:I'm not sure what will happen in the next episode but one thing I'm sure. Piccolo isn't suffering by getting shotted by that mouth blast, they never show sequencial frame scenes at the previews.

I don't think Pirina tanked it. To me it looked like it did pierce him or leave some kind of indent on his body which he'll likely use his "unlimited regeneration" to heal. Since Piccolo is quite a bit stronger than he was in the U6 tourney, he likely doesn't have to charge it as much to get the same effect as he did vs Frost and that one was strong enough to pierce an Angel's barrier.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:44 am

BWri wrote:

I don't think Pirina tanked it. To me it looked like it did pierce him or leave some kind of indent on his body which he'll likely use his "unlimited regeneration" to heal. Since Piccolo is quite a bit stronger than he was in the U6 tourney, he likely doesn't have to charge it as much to get the same effect as he did vs Frost and that one was strong enough to pierce an Angel's barrier.
Then when Piccolo gets his by Pirina's mouth beam Piccolo will pull this 'unlimited regeneration' out of his arse and then go and beat Saonel and Pirina.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: A complaint about Piccolo in an NEP for an upcoming episode that has not yet aired and I therefore have not seen

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:31 am

Due to the holiday, the moderation team is just now catching up with some of the material we otherwise would have liked to have already seen.

I have changed the title of this thread to "A complaint about Piccolo in an NEP for an upcoming episode that has not yet aired and I therefore have not seen". It's a bit of a sarcastic play and commentary on what's going on, but it's certainly worth doing: in this case, we're on six pages of complaints and commentary and speculation about something that hasn't happened yet, we do not have the full context for yet, and really isn't something worth discussing in and of itself. Feel free to drop some conversation about NEPs in the respective episode discussion thread, and try to keep upcoming spoiler talk to its respective, dedicated thread. The original topic creator provided little incentive (by way of little commentary of their own) for on-going, thoughtful conversation. This is not reflective of what we expect in and for the Kanzenshuu community. Let's all strive for something better.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::