I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:12 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:Simply bad writing. Just replace Botamo or Magetta with the Yardat(ian) and the issue is resolved.
You can’t call something bad writing if it wasn’t explained. About Botamo and Magetta, the members from the previous tournament needed to participate (Champa said so) so a Tsufruian and Yardratian could not have participated

User avatar
gofishus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 344
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:59 pm
Contact:

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by gofishus » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:31 pm

There is no official explanation. If they dont explain this, then its another example of Super's bad writing (much like how they didnt bother to explain Super Saiyan Rage or Vegeta's comment about Kale's SSJ form)

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16629
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:02 pm

gofishus wrote:There is no official explanation. If they dont explain this, then its another example of Super's bad writing (much like how they didnt bother to explain Super Saiyan Rage or Vegeta's comment about Kale's SSJ form)
I really hesitate to classify "Super Saiyan Rage" anywhere in the same ballpark. The show thematically told you everything you needed to know about it, up through and including his final sword attack. I don't need the metaphysical analysis from other characters to understand it any more than that.

Vegeta's line about the form is right up there with the "Namekian Book of Legends" where it's not particularly offensive, but it's certainly a bit of lore carrot-on-a-stick dangling out there and would be a minor tragedy to go unexplained.

A Yardratian and Tsufruian in some other universe, however, directly contradicts what we've been told in the series up until now. Unlike the Potara retcon which was explained in the same moment it was reintroduced, this contradiction is just sitting there wide open.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
MisteryOne
Regular
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:27 am
Location: Spain

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by MisteryOne » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:14 pm

Did you guys actually expected Toei to explain it? They didn't even explained Rosé propertly, and it was one of the special things of the main villain of the arc. We don't even know why he got those insane power ups by pain as well.

Wait for the manga. If not even Toyotaro explains it, then that's it.

Personally, my headcanon for now is that U2 just happens to share some races with U6 and 7, because they are "triplets" universes. There were 18 universes before, so I can see why it could be possible.
Be warned: my opinions are usually shit and I write on mobile. Deadly combination.

English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

User avatar
The_Destroyer
Regular
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Meshack wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:Simply bad writing. Just replace Botamo or Magetta with the Yardat(ian) and the issue is resolved.
You can’t call something bad writing if it wasn’t explained. About Botamo and Magetta, the members from the previous tournament needed to participate (Champa said so) so a Tsufruian and Yardratian could not have participated
Yes, it is bad writing. I disagree with the orginal poster that Botamo and Magetta should be replaced, but randomly throwing things in the story that contradict what we've been told (the show has implied that only twin universe share species prior to the ToP) and then not explaining it is bad writing in my eyes.

precita
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5470
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by precita » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:49 pm

It's not a big deal. Maybe Universe 2 has some similar aliens as Universe 6/7.

You might as well ask why there's talking animals like wolves, dogs, cats, pigs, etc. in other universes when they're all based on Earth animals.

User avatar
mahakaishin1991
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1658
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Paper Lung wrote:Can someone properly explain this to me without using their head canon? Thanks.
theres nothing to indicate any races are exclusive to any universe, for all we know weak ass saiyans are in another one

uni 2 has a tufle as well

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:Simply bad writing. Just replace Botamo or Magetta with the Yardat(ian) and the issue is resolved.
You can’t call something bad writing if it wasn’t explained. About Botamo and Magetta, the members from the previous tournament needed to participate (Champa said so) so a Tsufruian and Yardratian could not have participated
Yes, it is bad writing. I disagree with the orginal poster that Botamo and Magetta should be replaced, but randomly throwing things in the story that contradict what we've been told (the show has implied that only twin universe share species prior to the ToP) and then not explaining it is bad writing in my eyes.
So if Freeza was a Representative of the 9th Universe, that means Freeza is from the 9th Universe?

User avatar
The_Destroyer
Regular
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by The_Destroyer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote: You can’t call something bad writing if it wasn’t explained. About Botamo and Magetta, the members from the previous tournament needed to participate (Champa said so) so a Tsufruian and Yardratian could not have participated
Yes, it is bad writing. I disagree with the orginal poster that Botamo and Magetta should be replaced, but randomly throwing things in the story that contradict what we've been told (the show has implied that only twin universe share species prior to the ToP) and then not explaining it is bad writing in my eyes.
So if Freeza was a Representative of the 9th Universe, that means Freeza is from the 9th Universe?
This is a stretch. If he joined Universe 9 they would have explained why.

But hey if you think it's good writing then lets put Bardock, Grandpa Gohan, and General Blue on the Universe 2 as well and not explain it all. Because according to you that's good writing.

precita wrote:It's not a big deal. Maybe Universe 2 has some similar aliens as Universe 6/7.

You might as well ask why there's talking animals like wolves, dogs, cats, pigs, etc. in other universes when they're all based on Earth animals.
We've know the dragonaball world has had talking animals since day one. Why are their species from Universe 7 in another Universe that's not 7's twin? Just randomly throwing shit in there with no explanation is bad writing.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:40 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote: Yes, it is bad writing. I disagree with the orginal poster that Botamo and Magetta should be replaced, but randomly throwing things in the story that contradict what we've been told (the show has implied that only twin universe share species prior to the ToP) and then not explaining it is bad writing in my eyes.
So if Freeza was a Representative of the 9th Universe, that means Freeza is from the 9th Universe?
This is a stretch. If he joined Universe 9 they would have explained why.

But hey if you think it's good writing then lets put Bardock, Grandpa Gohan, and General Blue on the Universe 2 as well and not explain it all. Because according to you that's good writing.

precita wrote:It's not a big deal. Maybe Universe 2 has some similar aliens as Universe 6/7.

You might as well ask why there's talking animals like wolves, dogs, cats, pigs, etc. in other universes when they're all based on Earth animals.
We've know the dragonaball world has had talking animals since day one. Why are their species from Universe 7 in another Universe that's not 7's twin? Just randomly throwing shit in there with no explanation is bad writing.
You literally make no sense

Dpc292
Banned
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:25 am

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by Dpc292 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Well they gotta make someone the sexy male shojo character.

User avatar
The_Destroyer
Regular
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by The_Destroyer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:58 am

Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote: So if Freeza was a Representative of the 9th Universe, that means Freeza is from the 9th Universe?
This is a stretch. If he joined Universe 9 they would have explained why.

But hey if you think it's good writing then lets put Bardock, Grandpa Gohan, and General Blue on the Universe 2 as well and not explain it all. Because according to you that's good writing.

precita wrote:It's not a big deal. Maybe Universe 2 has some similar aliens as Universe 6/7.

You might as well ask why there's talking animals like wolves, dogs, cats, pigs, etc. in other universes when they're all based on Earth animals.
We've know the dragonaball world has had talking animals since day one. Why are their species from Universe 7 in another Universe that's not 7's twin? Just randomly throwing shit in there with no explanation is bad writing.
You literally make no sense
Says the guy throwing out irrelevent examples like Frieza joining Universe 9. How does that compare to randomly putting a Tuffle and Yardrat on a team and giving no reason as to why? It's bad writing.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by Meshack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:00 am

The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote: This is a stretch. If he joined Universe 9 they would have explained why.

But hey if you think it's good writing then lets put Bardock, Grandpa Gohan, and General Blue on the Universe 2 as well and not explain it all. Because according to you that's good writing.




We've know the dragonaball world has had talking animals since day one. Why are their species from Universe 7 in another Universe that's not 7's twin? Just randomly throwing shit in there with no explanation is bad writing.
You literally make no sense
Says the guy throwing out irrelevent examples like Frieza joining Universe 9. How does that compare to randomly putting a Tuffle and Yardrat on a team and giving no reason as to why? It's bad writing.
So, Heles and Pell cannot choose a warrior from another universe but Roh and Sidra can? Yeah that’s pretty good writing

User avatar
The_Destroyer
Regular
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by The_Destroyer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:22 am

Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote: You literally make no sense
Says the guy throwing out irrelevent examples like Frieza joining Universe 9. How does that compare to randomly putting a Tuffle and Yardrat on a team and giving no reason as to why? It's bad writing.
So, Heles and Pell cannot choose a warrior from another universe but Roh and Sidra can? Yeah that’s pretty good writing
But the show never said that though, which is why I'm saying it's bad writing.

Youe headcanon doesn't change anything.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by Meshack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:29 am

The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Says the guy throwing out irrelevent examples like Frieza joining Universe 9. How does that compare to randomly putting a Tuffle and Yardrat on a team and giving no reason as to why? It's bad writing.
So, Heles and Pell cannot choose a warrior from another universe but Roh and Sidra can? Yeah that’s pretty good writing
But the show never said that though, which is why I'm saying it's bad writing.

Youe headcanon doesn't change anything.
I’m not using “headcanon” at all. Just because something isn’t explained yet doesn’t mean it’s bad writing.

User avatar
The_Destroyer
Regular
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by The_Destroyer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:05 pm

Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote: So, Heles and Pell cannot choose a warrior from another universe but Roh and Sidra can? Yeah that’s pretty good writing
But the show never said that though, which is why I'm saying it's bad writing.

Youe headcanon doesn't change anything.
I’m not using “headcanon” at all. Just because something isn’t explained yet doesn’t mean it’s bad writing.
Okay then, let's have Vegeta lose his arm but then he regenerates it. We dont get an explanation as to why he can regrow it. If we go by your logic this isn't bad writing, even though it is.

PTOldMan
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 am

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by PTOldMan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 pm

I think he is there so that after the tournament he is the one teaching Goku an upgraded version of IT that can freely teleport him to other universes (assuming the other universes get brought back after the tournament)

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by Meshack » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:59 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote: But the show never said that though, which is why I'm saying it's bad writing.

Youe headcanon doesn't change anything.
I’m not using “headcanon” at all. Just because something isn’t explained yet doesn’t mean it’s bad writing.
Okay then, let's have Vegeta lose his arm but then he regenerates it. We dont get an explanation as to why he can regrow it. If we go by your logic this isn't bad writing, even though it is.
You’re funny.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16629
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:23 pm

Meshack wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
Meshack wrote: I’m not using “headcanon” at all. Just because something isn’t explained yet doesn’t mean it’s bad writing.
Okay then, let's have Vegeta lose his arm but then he regenerates it. We dont get an explanation as to why he can regrow it. If we go by your logic this isn't bad writing, even though it is.
You’re funny.
This flow of comments is out of line for what we expect of our community members. Please course-correct; otherwise, account strikes will be issued.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 7886
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: I still don't understand why Universe 2 has a Yardrat

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
gofishus wrote:There is no official explanation. If they dont explain this, then its another example of Super's bad writing (much like how they didnt bother to explain Super Saiyan Rage or Vegeta's comment about Kale's SSJ form)
I really hesitate to classify "Super Saiyan Rage" anywhere in the same ballpark. The show thematically told you everything you needed to know about it, up through and including his final sword attack. I don't need the metaphysical analysis from other characters to understand it any more than that.

Vegeta's line about the form is right up there with the "Namekian Book of Legends" where it's not particularly offensive, but it's certainly a bit of lore carrot-on-a-stick dangling out there and would be a minor tragedy to go unexplained.

A Yardratian and Tsufruian in some other universe, however, directly contradicts what we've been told in the series up until now. Unlike the Potara retcon which was explained in the same moment it was reintroduced, this contradiction is just sitting there wide open.
This is how I feel too.

To me, Super Saiyan Rage didn't really need explanation since Trunks got mad and he transformed, which is similar to other Super Saiyan forms. We even have Gowasu saying that this was the power of Trunks' rage. The only thing missing was maybe more characters' reactions.

Kale can't really be explained by anyone in the verse since no one knows that the heck it is. U6 didn't even know about Super Saiyan until Cabba met Vegeta and no one in U7 saw such a form before. So not sure what speculation they could have made, especially since 'Broly' doesn't exist within the story of Super.

The Yardratian and the Tuffle is weird since it seems like a plot line that is brought up, but won't be explained until later. I guess it makes sense since no would asked why they're there in the middle of a tournament for survival, where they maybe erased making why they're there a moot point.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Post Reply