Are you tired of this tournament?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

puar
Beyond Newbie

Re: Are you tired of this tournament?

Post by puar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Asura wrote:Then why are you praising the fights in Z? Seems rather strange to me you complain about the days when strategy was needed, yet somehow that fault only applies to Super and not Z. Your bias is showing.
Because z fights at least had tension to them. They werent generic

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:11 pm

What makes a fight "generic" to you? When I think of a generic fight, I think of Goku vs Freeza in the RoF arc spamming ki blasts at each other. It looked horrible, and it was as generic as it came in terms of fight choreography and animation. We've come a long, long way from those days though. These fights are animated with a lot more movement and fluidity than DBZ fights. Not to say that makes them better than the fights in Z, but it sure as hell doesn't make it more generic than Z if there's a lot going on more than just repeating animation of ki blasts and punches. Super still does that, but nowhere near as much as it used to.

I wouldn't label any of these as generic, and there's a ton more examples. Hell, these aren't even the best examples.

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:13 pm

GENERIC = average. mediocre etc..

they just arnt special and boring. this is how i would define the word generic. the goku vs female sayians episodes were some of the worst episodes for me in the whole dragon ball franchise. it was so boring and lame

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Hmmm how should I say this. I'm not tired of this arc because of length but because it's one straightforward plot point and the person I hate the most, who I think is the main villain tyranny wont be confronted. So basically this entire arc is being moved by anticipation of fights and waiting for powerups. Despite what people said about dragon ball, I enjoyed the story.

So am I tired of it? Well yes, I tired of lying to myself and hoping this arc will become something more than a slow burn.

Son Vegito
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Son Vegito » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:05 pm

Well, I don't know who came up with the idea of having battle royal for 30 episodes straight with nowhere else to move to. We are basically stuck inside the tournament in the world of void with mostly mediocre and meaningless fights against majority of the opponenents who have zero personality. It's all ''Hey, I'm going to knock u off muhahaha'' and then they lose. Nobody else shows something new/special aside of Goku. Mostly to do with all characters having already reached their full potential in Z.

But the experience itself would completely different when binge-watching. But still this arc lacks some structure which is a shame and has mostly to do with how this show is being produced by multiple writers.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:30 pm

Not tired of it but I'm about ready to see it wind down. I'm ready for the final fight or fights now. If U3 and U4 aren't real threats I hope they aren't dragged on too long.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:56 pm

U3 and U4 will both play an important role and knock some U7 fighters off.

I hate how some people think this arc is all about U11 or Jiren who barely gets any screentime -.-

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:09 pm

and another thing i wanted to add. they allwayes recycle the knockout attackes. its allwayes some beam cannon that knock the opponents. how many times have we seen kamehameha used as the last attack to knock opponents are. this tournament is so un-original and boring and predictable. also there arnt any actual ground combat stuff. remember the hit episodes in the u6 tournament? remember episode 72? strategy was a big part of those episodes. it focused on ground combat mostly. hand to hand combat. this tournament is just all about spamming beams. there are many reasons why this arc sucks. another reason is that we never actually see other universes fighting each other. its allwayes universe 7 vs the next guys. whats the point of heaving a battle royale then? instead of actually expending the lure to other charecters. giving them personality and stuff they do nothing. what was the point of making zarbuto a tuffle if they never actually addressed that. whats the point of heaving diffrent fighters if they all scream ''love'' all the time and dress exectly the same. this arc is a huge faliture. yes it looks good. the animation is superb. but its still very generic. the U6 tournamnet was so much better

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:13 pm

The Namek arc was over 70 episodes long, and people were complaining that DBS didn't have Z-length arcs, and now people are complaining? smh

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 pm

shadowmaria wrote:The Namek arc was over 70 episodes long, and people were complaining that DBS didn't have Z-length arcs, and now people are complaining? smh
I think a lot of people are just now discovering that a Namek-length arc isn't so desirable when you're watching it an episode per week instead of five.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:The Namek arc was over 70 episodes long, and people were complaining that DBS didn't have Z-length arcs, and now people are complaining? smh
I think a lot of people are just now discovering that a Namek-length arc isn't so desirable when you're watching it an episode per week instead of five.
Even watching 5 eps a week, Goku Vs. Freeza felt like it took forever to get through as well.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Asura wrote:What makes a fight "generic" to you? When I think of a generic fight, I think of Goku vs Freeza in the RoF arc spamming ki blasts at each other. It looked horrible, and it was as generic as it came in terms of fight choreography and animation. We've come a long, long way from those days though. These fights are animated with a lot more movement and fluidity than DBZ fights. Not to say that makes them better than the fights in Z, but it sure as hell doesn't make it more generic than Z if there's a lot going on more than just repeating animation of ki blasts and punches. Super still does that, but nowhere near as much as it used to.

I wouldn't label any of these as generic, and there's a ton more examples. Hell, these aren't even the best examples.

Even with the examples you posted, the animation looks stiff and is nowhere near what Z offered in terms of choreography, impact, and overall artistic standard. Super has gotten better, yes I agree with you, but it's still has a long ways to go. So far 99% of the fights have been absolutely generic and completely boring because as people have mentioned they are hard to watch, but also it's the same formula repeated tenfold against a bunch of characters who have ZERO personality. The forced dramatic tension is also laughable and comes off like a really bad soap opera. Spamming Ki blasts has never looked so boring.

Not only that, but take a look at the DETAIL in Z's episodes vs anything in Super. The scruff marks, the rubble, smoke, the impact marks, the auras, etc. Super has yet to meet that standard. What's worse, is when Super finds a "trick", they spam it to death. A good example of this is every time somebody powers up or transforms they do that stupid Zoom out shot where it starts really close on the face of the character, then really quickly zooms out to reveal them as they scream out something like "Vegito Bluueeee!" It's cheap, it's lazy, and it robs characters of any personality. Z never did that and even when characters powered up or transformed they were able to showcase a little bit of personality that was represented visually. Another thing people aren't taking into consideration is COMPOSITION of an image. Super doesn't even try where as Z had really nice shots that were well composed, giving it a very western feel in the beginning. I know people like to throw out "well, it's subjective because it's ART man!" but unfortunately that's just not true. Guiding your eye across an image whether it's moving or still is an art form that is grounded in very fundamental principles, principles which can be played around with or completely broken in order to create a compelling image but it takes technical skill, vision, and a sense of artistry to do so. I see little to none of that in most of Super's episodes.

Nobody is saying Z was Shakespeare or animated like One Punch Man, but so far it's still leagues ahead of what Super has given us. The most recent episodes have shown us GLIMPSES of what Super can be (like the 3rd example you posted), but that's all they are. And even then we'd have to deal with the atrocious writing that seems to churn out bland character after bland character. Piccolo vs the Nameks had an interesting bit with Kami and Nail, but I doubt they will ever explore that avenue. And that's whats frustrating about Super - there's an occasional good idea in there and they never really explore it because they have no interest in doing so unless it can sell more toys. I can forgive Dragonball for not growing up with me, but I can't forgive it for regressing to what it's become today.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Most were able to watch Namek 5 episodes a week which made things a lot easier to get through. Not only is this arc on a one episode a week basis but it's not that good which makes the week to week wait even worse.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:23 pm

The other difference is the Namek arc had so many stories happening. It didn't stagnate till the end with Goku/Freeza. 70 eps makes sense when you realize the first half way all about Gohan/Krillin and Vegeta seizing Dragonballs from Freeza, Goku training on his ship, King Kai's planet with the humans, etc.

There was a lot going on and it wasn't all in the same place.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:55 pm

sintzu wrote:
Most were able to watch Namek 5 episodes a week which made things a lot easier to get through. Not only is this arc on a one episode a week basis but it's not that good which makes the week to week wait even worse.
So common sense dictates that the best way to judge this arc is to wait when it's done and watch it with more episodes at a time. I don't think it's pacing is perfect so far, but I'm going on a limb here and predicting it will be no Namek situation in the end.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:05 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
sintzu wrote:
So common sense dictates that the best way to judge this arc is to wait when it's done and watch it with more episodes at a time. I don't think it's pacing is perfect so far, but I'm going on a limb here and predicting it will be no Namek situation in the end.
Yeah, but I think I love long arcs compared to short ones. Plus, I'm willing to wait for each episode. I had to deal with this when watching Naruto Shippuden.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm

majinwarman wrote:
MR.Mark wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Yeah, but I think I love long arcs compared to short ones. Plus, I'm willing to wait for each episode. I had to deal with this when watching Naruto Shippuden.
I also love long arcs. If I had one complaint here it's that the arc doesn't feel like it's naturally this long. I feel like scenes have been stretched for the sake of filling time rather than because the story calls for it.

On Namek we had the drama of Krillin and Gohan with Vegeta who we knew was out for himself. We have the search for the dragon balls, the Ginyu Force, the Namekians being targeted by Freeze and so on.

We have a lot of stuff here but none of it feels story driven. Honestly I wish the FT Arc was longer and went into more depth because it was story driven.

Also like I said before I'm not tired of the arc but it's getting to where it doesn't feel like there is much meaningful content except Goku vs Jiren.

Though I also agree it's probably better to watch on a binge.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:38 pm

MR.Mark wrote:
sintzu wrote:
You're right, because aside from filler the namek saga and ToP aren't even in the same ballpark. The namek saga is leagues above this arc in almost every way imaginable.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Well hard to say, Namek has the edge so far up until Goku starts fighting Freeza in the anime, even then the kai version of Namek is the one I'm talking about.
Thematically, Goku and Freeza fighting was more epic but there's far more stakes and unpredictability currently going on in the TOP. I'm reserving final judgement until the TOP is over. The final Goku vs Jiren could very well blow Goku vs Freeza out of the water.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:35 pm

MR.Mark wrote:So common sense dictates that the best way to judge this arc is to wait when it's done and watch it with more episodes at a time.
It'll help but I doubt it'll turn it from a 4/10 arc to a 9/10.
MR.Mark wrote:Well hard to say, Namek has the edge so far up until Goku starts fighting Freeza in the anime.

The final Goku vs Jiren could very well blow Goku vs Freeza out of the water.
It's more like night and day.

Based on everything we've seen so far, it won't come close. There was so much going on in that fight that there's no way to do here, especially with how short it'll be in comparison.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.